Sign in to follow this  
KrazyTBMare

Dressage Chit Chat Thread! Volume 19!!

Holly – Glad to hear your clinic got rescheduled. That’s great news. I know you were disappointed when they cancelled it. OMG, what a cleaning spree!! That should last you awhile!! Not only can clenching your teeth at night cause that much pain, but it can also be the source of all of your migraines. The bite guard is an every night deal as a preventative. Unless you can miraculously train yourself to stop grinding/clenching your teeth!! Great picture of you and Fleck!! That reminds me of why I quit eventing!!! OMG, no thanks!!! That is just way too big of a fence!!!! [Eek!] Sounds like Fleck isn’t a big sweater, which in your climate isn’t a great thing. He really should sweat a lot in the heat/humidity of GA. I forget what it is, but there is something you are supposed to feed to horses that don’t sweat a lot to help them out. Shantel can probably tell you since I believe she has mentioned that Ben is a non-sweater. Razzle is a heavy sweater, even in the winter, which is why I have to keep him shaved, and we feed him electrolytes to replace what he sweats out. Sounds like a great lesson. Peacocks . . . you are going to half halt – A LOT – and shoulder-in away from the peacocks to keep his attention on you not them. That’s what you are going to do. Do not get yourself all worked up over the livestock before you even get there, or you are doomed. Repeat after me, “THE LIVESTOCK WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM.” Now go write that down a hundred times!!! HA!!!

Boocoo – Congrats on your end of year awards!! Well done!!! I’m sure after a few rides, Beau will help overpower that new trailer smell, and the trailer will start to smell more like Beau!!! Have fun with the shoulder-in!!! Riding vests are the BEST!!! I LOVE vests!! I have a whole slew of them. I was just watching another one on e-bay, but decided that I really HAD to let it go. Enough!! Jack will kill me. I have so many already. I wear them non-stop through the fall, winter and spring. Yet another reason why my next horse has to be black – to match all my pretty vests!! HA!!! Oh yes, butt sweat is definitely a good thing!! Julie calls it “butter butt”!! Razzle wears bell boots in turn out so he won’t pull his shoes off. We go through a ton of bell boots – the velcro just doesn’t hold up that long with the daily on/off, but worth it to keep the shoes on!!! I HATE the cold/hot/cold rapid weather changes. That is prime colic weather.

Lauren – I’m so sorry to hear about Jeremy’s friend. That is very young. How sad. Glad to hear Scotch is going so well. That wrong lead issue sounds more like a bend/straightness issue rather than a pain issue since you were able to sort it out with a series of bend exercises. If it were pain related, those exercises wouldn’t have resulted in a correct lead. Sounds like Scotch is gaining strength by leaps and bounds. That is fantastic. I thought the Patriots and Giants were very evenly matched. Good game. Glad it wasn’t a total blowout. The Giants definitely earned their win.

Megan – Glad to hear the lessons are going so well. Good luck with the mid-terms. Hey, good point about Holly being the cheerleader for the whole dressage board – on that note, Holly – you will be here this Saturday to cheer Raz and me along at our clinic, right??? - Good luck with your PC ratings. I know that must be a little frustrating for you because you definitely are not a beginner. Hopefully you will get pushed through the rating process in a prompt fashion so that you can start working on more appropriate things. Glad to hear you worked out a plan/non-plan so that you can settle in and just enjoy school and Vegas and not stress about where you are going or doing next. Sounds like a good “plan”!!

Lisa – Good luck at the new job!! I’m sure you will fit in just fine. Happy 18th Birthday!!! - Hope you had a great day and got lots of wonderful presents!!! Hope you are able to get those hock injections scheduled soon for Lightening so you can get right back to riding.

Shantel – Yeah, even your vet is conservative for hock injections. Most say 3-4 days off, then light hack, then back to normal work. My vet calls for 6 days off, light hack on day 7, then back to normal work on day 8. I gave Raz 5 days off, light hack on day 6, then a day off, then back to normal work, so he was fine. Sounds like a great time volunteering your services at that Center. What a nice thing to do. Good job lunging Ben. Glad to hear you found a system that works. Never fun getting dragged around by a big heavy horse!!

McKenzie – Sorry to hear the filly didn’t work out. When I was shopping for Razzle I had a whole slew of horses fail at the vet check stage. It is sooooo incredibly disappointing, but you really have to be careful. You want a horse that is going to be sound and last you a long, long time, so you have to vet them very, very carefully, and be extra picky. Even things that may never end up presenting a problem, could be enough to cause you to pass on the purchase of a horse. The perfect horse is out there somewhere.

So I managed to get home from the family outing this weekend in time to squeeze in a lesson on Sunday with Julie. It was very rushed, and I was very nearly so late for the lesson that I almost missed it, so I was tense and hurried, and never settled, and got Raz tense. It started bad, and it took us awhile to really find our rhythm. Raz ended up tense and locked up, and it took me most of the ride to unlock him and loosen him and get him moving better, so I was glad that I got the lesson in there. I really needed that time with Julie. I have been feeling under the weather for a solid week now. Nothing really that I can put my finger on, other than just generally not feeling 100%. Thought I was coming down with a cold/flu, but it never materialized, so not sure what is up. Between me being under the weather, and Raz being locked up, it definitely was not one of our better rides, not to mention, I finally clued in to the fact that he hit 8 WEEKS on his shoes this past Friday. - Steve normally redoes him regular as clockwork every 6 weeks, so I was shocked. I had to look back at the calendar to figure out when he was last done. I think when Raz had his abscess and needed the one shoe reset at New Year’s that Steve accidentally got him recalendared inappropriately so that he has him at 4 weeks right now not 8 weeks!!! Oppps!! I called him, and left him a message asking him to come out ASAP and redo him. I’m sure he will be out in the next day or so if he hasn’t already been there and done him. No wonder Raz wasn’t striding right in the lesson!! Poor boy!!! If Steve hasn’t been there by the time I get out to ride tonight, I’ll have Julie give him a call. I’m sure he’ll get him done before the clinic on Saturday. So trailering is all set. Now I just have to get some good rides in and get packed. I also have a baby shower for the daughter-in-law of a friend to go to on Sunday. I don’t even know this woman, so not sure why I have to do, but . . . oh, and apparently, no one is helping her do anything to prep for the baby shower, so *I* get to help. I am making a ton of stuff for the shower. Guess that has to happen Saturday night after I get home, exhausted, from the clinic, oh goody!!! And the shower is an HOUR AND A HALF away!!! They want to car pool and leave at 8:30 in the morning for a 1pm shower. ??? - Just what I DON’T want to be doing after a long, hard week prepping for and riding in a major clinic. *sigh*

~Shelly~

Holly- sounds like Fleck has been having some major work booty times. Ah are you doing the Ark?? Fleck will hopefully so focuses (along w/ you) on galloping and jumping that we won't even notice them during the XC phase. What bum luck about your camera....I would cry if mine was left in the rain.

Shelly- GOOD LUCK at your clinic. You'll do great! Will you be getting pics? And you are going to be one tired lady by the end of the weekend. ugh baby showers....fun...Hopefully your farrier will be able to get out in the next day or so.

Not much new here. Scotch was pretty good in my lesson yesterday...Audrey asked me what my goals are for this spring. And to tell you the truth I haven't even thought about it b/c of all this soundness issues. Ugh. But I said I would like him at first level by spring. When I cliniced w/ Scott Hassler he told me that 1st level will be no problem for him and that the next time he sees me Scotch should be confirmed at 1st. Speaking of Scott i think a friend and I are going to go down to his farm for a few days for lessons and whatnot. So back to the lesson we worked A LOT on holes that have popped up. Which weren't there spring. But that's ok...we need this time to get us both back up to par... We had some problems with the right rein at the end of 10meter circles. He was not a happy pony! Still think there is some physical problems. He would be fabulous 3/4 of the 10m then suck back and when I'd close my thigh and calf he'd try to pop into the canter. Also he's a bit wide with his left hind?? No lameness showing up but that wasn't there last year? UGH. So towards the end Audrey got on him to feel him go and he would do the same thing, but A was able to get it sorted out faster than me. So his last 10m circle was the best...none of that popping. We are both thinking its strength issues...as if you go to a bigger circle he was more confident and comfortable. But who knows? So we are just going to continue working on it and see if he gains more muscle and is more fit.

Haha ok a friend of mine video taped that jumping clinic I rode in a few weeks ago

[ROTFL] Oh man I suck. Keep in mind this is the first time I've jumped in over 3 months...and I have never ever ever ridden this horse before. Jump part 1

Me careening

LOL I have more if anyone wants to see.

I've slacked in my chit-chatting duties hehe.

Shelly - Hehehe, oops, but that's pretty awesome that you got in!

Lauren - it's right on 4 months since he had them done last. Thankyou! hehe, you don't need a cool icon [Wink] Oooh that's good news about Scotch! That's a lot of tack cleaning! Good luck in your lesson! Hehe love the vids!

Holly - Uh, so you want to come and do my house now? [bat Eyelashes] Hehe thankyou! HAHAHA you crack me up! Nice spelling! Hahaha love the face... so that's the face of pure terror ay? At least Fleck went down it LOL

Megan - Haha gee thanks, words of widom right there [Razz] Yay! sounds like a great plan... actually sounds kind of like mine LOL.

Shantel - Aw that's awesome that you go to the centre, what a great thing to run! Lunging Ben sounds... interesting, LOl.

Boocoo - Hahahaha shouldn't laugh, but that is a funny story about ahem butt sweat, I too thought you were talking about the human kind in the beginning. Aw dang, hope you can get the shoe back on quickly.

Shelly - Thankyou! Aw dang, sorry to hear you're not feeling great, hopefully you're next ride wil be better, I hate being rushed into a lesson.

So Lightning's hocks will get done on the 25th! That's 3 weeks! [Frown] Vet said to bute him on the days he'll be ridden and just keep him moving, it won't hurt him any. So I had a lesson yesterday and he was super!

Saddled up Lightning on Sunday morning it was sunny. Got on and it poured! Lightning and thunder the whole shebang. By the end of the ride all the drains and the creek was flooded, it was crazy.

Work is going better and I'm going to sign up for my course today... maybe.. I said that yesterday too [Duh]

Hope everyone has a good day/night/whatever time it is there!

Lightning and Holly, you two are a hoot! Imagine some young girls Mom asking me if butt sweat in the human is ok??? [ROTFL][ROTFL] Oh I needed a good laugh.

Shelly, Beau wears bell boots 24/7! I go through them too! They don't always help him to keep his shoes on, either, but they sure as heck keep him from tearing up his heels! I have some of the really cool heel boots from dressage extensions also, but I don't always want him wearing them because they have that steel shank in them that goes under the frog and I don't want that on him 24/7. So we do the best we can with bell boots. He actually hasn't pulled a shoe in a while, but I bet he got to running with his new pasture buddy and turned just the right way, plus the pasture a bit boggy from recent rains. Beau does not go out until it is almost dry though, but he still managed to pull that shoe! The shoer came by this a.m. and put it back on him though. I actually found it last night!

Had an awesome, awesome, awesome ride tonight! Wow! I ended up riding in the outdoor around some jumps that were set up, but I do believe that Beau and I are both finally grasping connection! My trainer even said so the other day. I had it from the get go tonight and kept it throughout the entire ride. I am getting better and better with my own body position and Beau is feeling really good and trying so hard. We even had shouler in and leg yield going nicely at both the walk and trot, both directions! What a dynamite ride! I am just so physched!

And I had on my new vest! [big Grin] It was perfect. I have not even owned a vest in years. I had on a nice long sleeve t-shirt and my vest. It wasn't really cold, but the wind was blowing pretty good, so that kept me nice and toasty!

WOW now I'm caught up........I think or I hope.... [Crazy]

KrazyTB......Layla is coming along great by the pictures on page 6th. That is cool about using a rope halter when lunging a horse that likes to spin and run.I know one that could use that trick.

Holly.......A Very Belated Happy Birthday!!! Ice cream cake at work, now that was very thoughtful of your co-workers. Are you falling for the russel/pekinese mix? Congrats on 3rd at 1st level!!! You left your camera out in the rain????

Boocoo......Auditing a trainer, how do you go abouts doing that?

Vegas.......I think your friend appreciated that night away to relax and have fun. I like your plans because you are enjoying life.

Smithereen......Now that is new one, not wanting to get into a clinic. Well I see that your prayering didn't work out, but I hope the clinic goes well anyways.

Ligthening.......Good Luck at the new job!!!

3DayEventer......Don't you just love the weather we are getting in the northeast?

Well, I've been busy with school and catching up on the classes I missed after they totally redid my schedule. I'm hating my business calc because it contains 100 plus students and 95% are talkative freshmen and sophomores. [Mad] To top it off the professor can't teach and out of my 6 years in college (over 60 classes) this is the worst professor I've ever had. Besides that class my others are going great, including the two business plans. Tomorrow I have a meeting with a professor to go over my ideas and help me find industry reports.

I went riding a couple of times in last two weeks and they were great. We are working on my goals, which to develop a better seat and legs (I've very short and now have 16.2h horse that is built like a grand prix dressage horse). I can't wait to go home and ride Nads again. Apparently, she is loving her time off, but she doesn't realize that is new start and come march she'll be back in work. [big Grin] I've been roaming online for things to get that I need and you know it is fun doing that because this is my first horse [Cool]

Oh, I requested my diploma and it felt great!! Only draw back is everyone (professors and staff) are pushing me to go to grad school. I was joking and said "I'll apply to Harvard just to get the reject letter." All have said in reply, "You'll be surprised who they accept; therefore, you shouldn't look at it that way. You have a 80% chance of getting in and maybe even greater chance." I just nodded and said "Sure". Ya, so in 2-3 yrs I'm going to apply and see [Question]

Good night and day all!!!

Marie

Marie, go for Harvard. You can do it girl. As for auditing trainers, I call them up and tell them I am a prospective student and would they mind if I audit a lesson they teach? No one has ever said no. Then I go watch the lesson and decide what I think. I audited 3 in Tucson before I picked one. When we moved here I only had to audit my current trainer and I have been with her over a year now. She is awesome.

lauren: YAY!!! GOOOOOOOOOO SCOTCH!!! hee hee. i don't have the cool cheering icons shelly has.. but that's awesome that he's going so well. maybe it is just a strength/chiro/massage issue. yep, doing the ark. I'm not so much worried about the XC part... i think he'll be going and rolling. But i am worried about dressage. he's very ADD and needs to be focused during dressage, but shelly gave me a plan and i'm going to write down 100 times that it won't be a problem! and maybe i'll ride early enough that the peacocks will still be sleeping! hee hee. yeah.. i would have cried, but it was a good excuse to go buy a new upgraded one [smile] pics to come! hee hee. you crack me up! you look GREAT jumping! get that pony of yours back in shape and get him jumping too! i was laughing though at the "no careening...stop careeeeeeeeening" comments. sounds like my lessons [Wink] good job though.

boocoo: hee hee. it wasn't that bad. but...i agree. i had to "cowboy up" a little bit. hee hee barrels seems fun! i tried it once with my mare, who is fast and agile and catty, but... we didn't quite make it. hee hee. it was fun farting around though. oooh, sounds like a fantastic ride! when is your debut at 1st level?

shelly: yeah, i've got pit bull jaws! though it's amazing how in just a few days i'm off codeine and even ibuprofen. now it's just a bit tender, but not bad and even that is going away. i really think alot of it has to do with the gold crown, cause it's only that tooth that's sore. WHY oh WHY would they put GOLD in your mouth. gold is SOFT?!? oh well. whatever! but yes, i'm very excited about the clinic! i can't wait! and... the gunnar clinic got cancelled but i'm going to try to make the next one. and maybe pamela can to! i'm also going to take that free lesson with her and see what i think. though i am pleased with my progress with pam too. and i still need to get another lesson with karen even if it's just a SI lesson. hee hee. you guys are all wimps!! those jumps aren't that big. just you wait til i go prelim! ha!!! maybe not... i'm wimpy too ;P well... fleck actually does sweat alot in his coat. he just doesn't get butt sweat. which maybe means he's not working like he should be?? or maybe that he's just not got the ghetto behind like his momma? but yeah, i keep him clipped and even this winter with his shorter coat (though it does need to be reclipped) he does sweat. just not in is crack! makes me sad cause it makes me think he's not working like a real dressage horse! and he's not prone to drooling either??? [Confused] oh well. poor guy. okay...good point... the livestock will not be a problem. the livestock will not be a problem. the livestock will not be a problem...phew! only 97 more to go! oh and... GOOOOOO RAZZIE!!!! GOOOOOOO SHELLY!!!! GIMME A R for renvers! GIMME A T for tranvers! GIMME A P for ...passage...piaffe... whatever! [smile] you guys are gonna do great! ooh no!!!! i hate stuff like that. stupid girly shower stuff. it's never any fun and if you try to "spice" it up, you get dirty looks. ugh... well, have as much fun as you can and just know that soon enough it'll be over and done with and you can get back to the fun dirty stuff!!

lightning: howdy!! glad we're on the same wavethoughts about butt sweat and all. nice huh! glad you and lightning didn't live up to his namesake and just got wet! stay dry and warm...oh wait, it is summer over there isn't it!? crazyness....just crazyness. [Wink]

marie: good luck getting into harvard! GIMME A H! GIMME A A! okay.. you guys are wearing me out!

anyways... so nothing too exciting here. i'm actually at work... but so far it's almost 11 and we haven't seen a single patient. good for the pets, but... kinda boring. though it will be nice to have a slow night and get to nap. i've got to go get lockers about 30 minutes away tomorrow when i leave in the morning (for work!) then bring them to my house and have mike help me unload. then i have to take a nap i guess, hopefully ride, and then go get hay! but atleast i don't have to work tomorrow. i'm starting to get a little panicked cause my dressage show is in 1 week and i'm working through half of it. so i need to ride my tests a few times. i'm doing 1-2 and 1-4 which i've done before so it won't be too bad. but i'd like to do a few run throughs atleast. then the next day is the clinic. poor fleck. dressage show, then jump and dressage clinic! eeeks. oh well. he'll get monday off, then trails tuesday. oh, on a funny note... did i say this already.. can't remember. anyways, i got a video of stacey westfall riding bareback and bridleless doing her reining pattern. So tuesday on flecks' day off... i decided to go hang with him and he was all up in my face. i was thinking hey i've "joined up" with him... but no, not really. he's just a cookie monster. but that got me thinking... so like a dummy i hopped on him. well, i tried... couldn't quite make it up, so i had to lead him to the trailer and jump on. and then we managed to walk down to the barn. not sure if he turned cause i asked or cuase he figured that's where we were going, but it was kinda fun to play. hee hee. so yeah... anyways.. he got the day off cause of all our fun jumping and doing XC and then dressage. my lesson was great in both jumping and dressage. starting to get less panicky about really moving up to training level and dressage coach mentioned really getting into the 2nd level stuff! whoo hoo. so then wed i couldn't ride cause i had too much going on and when i woke up initially it was POURING down rain. luckily no tornados or such, but bad weather. it ended up clearing up and being a beautiful day but with working the overnight, i had to go to work. so he got two days off. but hopefully i'll ride friday. so... yeah.. .guess those people aren't bringing their pets in...they should have been here by now. oh well. hopefully i'll still get to nap. though it sucks that we didn't make ANY money tonight. oh well.

so let's see. what else... roany was being grumpy today. don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing. it's her usual self, but she's been a bit less grumpy lately. she's trotting around good though and seems perfectly sound!

so yeah... need to finish shaving fleck again. and get my tack clean for the dressage show. and ride my tests... and finish my arena. it's starting to wash away my sand!!! so i may have to buck up and spend the money on rail road ties. though mikes bonus comes in soon, so maybe he'll let me get the rest of the sand and really finish it.

anyways... guess i should get off... and maybe try to do something .....

have a great night!

good luck at your clinic shelly if i don't talk to you before then. GIMME AN R!!!!

Lightning- Hmmm how old is Lightning? Does he have arthritis in his hocks?? I'm like ok I have no idea when I need to get hock injections again? I'm stilly paying the first ones off! AHHH. Glad to hear your lesson went so well!! YAY. Hopefully work will continue to get improve for you!

Marie- I know it's a bit insane! You should definately try to apply for Harvard! The worse that could happen is that you don't get in...but it sounds like you WILL! How cool! Is this your senior year?

Boocoo- YAY for good rides! Always such a good booster when everything clicks!

Holly- Yeh I'm not sure...he's going to see the chiro in a few weeks. Ya know I never noticed him going wide on the left hind before...UGH. haha ADD Fleck! Put blinders on him [ROTFL] Or maybe you can request for the earliest ride HAAH! OMG I was like holy batman...everyone else here has jumped like yesterday and here I am thinking I haven't jumped even a fricken Xrail in forever. OH BOY. Yeh Patrick and I liked to careen...He's a bit different than Scotch. And I didn't even have time to play w/ his canter before we started to jump. So I was scrambling along trying to get this horse to become packaged. He's a bit bigger than my ponyboy too! Scotch is 14.1 and Patrick is 16.2? But thank you....I felt like a fool. OMG i know Melissa was like NOOO CAREENING. and I'm like I can't help it! We like to careen. though I didn't say that outloud. Wow slow night at the vet. Sounds boring...but hey those days are always welcome right? You have a few busy weeks coming up! Good luck at your dressage show!!! you'll do great! I would definately look into those railroad ties....might save your the worry and money of your sand washing away!

Not much here...rode my ponyboy yesterday...felt pretty good and he didn't do any of that popping! YAY. But still a bit wide behind in his left leg? Hmm. oh then @ 12:30 this AM my sister calls and goes can you pleaseee open up the store tom...she didnt'get home till almost 2am...and thn would have to get up at 6 to drive an hr to come to work. So I went in opened up the store and stayed till 9:30....but I have to go back in b/c I always close on Friday nights. So I think I'll be going in a bit later. instead of noon like 1-2.

College still sucks....man. I was panicking the other day b/c honestly I'm not good at anything...so i'm like what the heck am I going to do when I get out of college?

Bleh. Oh well...

Time to get some shut eye before I have to go back in...might try to squeeze a ride in before but we'll see.

Have a good day all!

Holly, Gold in the mouth is actually the hardest material they can put in there. A lot of dentist prefer to use it esp on back molars b/c thats where the majority of your chewing is done and it will hold up better than porcelian (sp) on top of metal. The unfortunate thing about crowns are that they are not a life time investment. Most will last 10-15 yrs. They will eventually get decay under them and will need to be redone. And a lot of the times, the decay is close to or at the nerve, causing the tooth to need a root canal along with a new crown. Since your tooth is a little nub under your crown, even though its cemented on there, it is not "ONE" with the tooth. So the clenching is basically tramatizing the tooth, and the aching and sensitivity is the tooths response to that trauma. Are you wearing the Nite Guard every night now? It will def help! You can also ask your dentist to see if he can Equalibrate your bite. Since you are clenching and possibly grinding, you may be changing the way your teeth come together, which can actually cause you to clench more. I need an equalibration since I only clench on the left side and when I bite down, I touch mostly on the left. So they can just go in a smooth down some teeth a TINY bit and it can even out your jaw. [smile]

Vegas, My trainers have had me doing the same with Layla when she gets racey. It basically makes them slow down the thought process and something finally clicks and they are like OOOH RIGHT. Layla would get quick b/c she was off balance and plus its easier to go faster than work correctly. So the whole slowing down and gradually building up the stride def was a great tool with her as well. With the PC... dont you have to be under 18 or something? I think Im too old for that but always wanted to do it. Have fun!

Holly, Whoa. Those drops.. no way! They are HUGE! Your pics were awesome! I bet Fleck is an awesome ride! And yes, the stuff Shelly was talking about for sweating is One AC. You can also just give him a beer in his feed, AM and PM. I found the best stuff was Old Milwalkee. Its cheap too and the horses REALLY like it. The warmer it is the better. Also feeding electrolytes (DUH) helps.

3Day, I think any time we present them with something new they are going to be like UHH WHAT ARE YOU DOING?? Hopefully the next session will go better.

Shelly, glad to hear Raz handled the different schedule well. Im so anxious to get her hocks done. The first time you had his done... were you having issues that prompted you to get them injected? How big of a difference do you see/feel? Im hoping the Adequan and the injections will help us debut at 1st level this year, AND score in the 60s! Ive been riding the beginning of 1st 1 (the tear drop part with the 1/2 10m circles) and it rides really well. Wow 8 weeks since the farrier? No wonder it wasnt a great ride. We are now keeping our 2 at a 4-5 wk schedule. 5 at the MOST. Its REALLY helping keeping Laylas foot issues in check and Ben doesnt trip as much b/c his feet grow like WHOA. Have fun with the shower and all that stuff... def doesnt sound like a relaxing time at all!

3Day, sounds like a blast with Scott! And Layla will not want to really step under to the right in the smaller circles. I really think its due to the changes in her lower hocks and Im hoping that goes away with the injection. But it def sounds like a stregth issue with Scotch. Im sure youll get it sorted out.. and yours goals for this year. [smile] Love the jumping vids. Thats pretty much how Laylas went... Oy Vey.. I have some videos.. you guys would DIE.

LST, sounds like Florida weather over there! We were riding last night and the skies just opened up and it was a VERY cold rain. We were SOAKED!!! What kind of problems are you having with his hocks? Im getting Laylas injected the 22nd and its interesting that your vet said to bute him. Shes not LAME on it, just doesnt want to really truly use the RH. Id be interested to hear what your horses issues are.

Boo, you and Beau really sound like you guys are just blooming. I love seeing pics of you two (hint hint). And I LOVE riding in vests! I have so many.. I only like 3 Ariat ones. They are great for allowing you movement in your arms and shoulders but still keeping warm. Isnt this weather crazy? We are similar over here... Mon and Tues were almost 85 and then rain and a cold front and yesterday was like 68 and today like 65 and Sat and Sun are going to be like 60 but windy and feeling a lot colder. Go figure.

marie, welcome back to the thread! Thanks for the compliments on Layla. Shes feeling great! And yes, the rope halter and long lines def has been the best method to longeing Ben. He just needs to learn about a few boundaries in that respect. Sounds like a blast with that business calc. Ugh. I hated Calc.. which is probably why I gave up on my marine science degree (along with other things). My step dad is a math teacher in HS.. taught for 27 yrs... he was my private tutor! LOL And def try for the Harvard! That would be awesome! Why not at least try ya know? And congrats on graduating! That must feel very rewarding.

Holly, I hate when patients dont show up.. makes the day or night in your case, go by so slowly! Thats an awesome video.. we had a demo rider at the Horse Expo a few years ago do bridleless reining.. so awesome. Ive been the bareback and bridleless. Dunno if I would do that with Layla.. I might but eh. I ride bareback in a halter and leadrope! LOL

3Day, where do you work? Is it like a family business or something? Glad the pony was good for you!

Whew caught up!!!

As for me.. Gave Layla off Tues and Wednesday and attempted to ride last night. Sarah and I were getting ready to hop on and here is the thunder. So we hoped we could at least get like 10 mins in.. well 5 mins later, we hear this WOOOOOOOSH on the tin roof and BAM its pouring rain on us! So we head back to the barn and as soon as we get there, it stops. So we ride for another 10 mins and it starts pouring again, even worse! And it was those HUGE rain drops and it was COLD. So we gave up and went in. And OF COURSE Layla was giving me this REALLY nice, slow, round, soft ground covering trot right off the back.

I have a lesson on Sunday!!! I know the trainer b/c when I did a working student back in 04-05 at a private dressage barn, she brought her student over to try Layla out, and actually leased her for a few months. Thats when I introduced her (Ann) to my old trainer. They rode together and Ann even with with my old trainer to Devon and what not. Well I parted ways with old trainer and now my friend who Ive been riding with at her place (the ones with the mare I posted pics of) she trains with Ann. So Im like oh I want to get in on lessons. Well she just had a baby a few months ago and is now back into the swing of things. And her husband is a "cowboy" and starts babies and stuff and I love how hes started my friends 3.5 y/o so Ive decided when Laylas foal gets of age, Ill have him start her but also have him help me with just the handling and what not before that time.

Oh and we worked the modified schedule yesterday. 7am-1pm, no breaks. It went well but WHEW. It was def 9 hours of work in 6 hours! I was exhausted! But getting off at 1 and having Fridays off is great. I hit my 6 month mark on Feb 14th! [smile] Doesnt feel like Ive been here for that long though. Crazy.

Randy found someone to buy his Super Charger for the car. $2300! Whooop! But we are going to meet the guy 1/2 way in Orlando tomorrow.. so he wants to leave tonight, get a hotel, hang out in Orlando, play putt putt or whatever, and then come home tomorrow. Sweet. For $2300? Darn skippy we'll drive 1.5 hours! Plus we are getting our return AND he sold his drag car.. so yeh. I dont feel so stressed about taking Layla to the vet! [Cool]

Heres some old jumping pics of me and Layla..

-

-

I have SO many more.. but most are on the computer up stairs and a LOT were lost on our old hard drive.

Lauren, glad to hear Scotch is doing so much better. When do you finish college? What are you majoring in? Just hang in there. It's so worth it.

Shantel, love those jumping pictures. I can't believe how much rain you have gotten lately!! I don' t have any new pics of me and Beau. I will have to have my husband come and take some at my next lesson. How about that?

Flecken, my first level debut is in March at a schooling show, then a rated show the beginning of April. I want to try and qualify for regionals this year. I will do T4 and 11. How about you? When is your next show?

We have a show workshop at my trainers barn this Sunday. I am not taking Beau but should be fun.

lauren: you know i REALLY thought about it. today he kept spooking at stuff in the woods. IMAGINARY stuff....cause there was NOTHING there. so...if he spooks at imaginary stuff....what happens when it's peacocks and zebra's and buffalos'!!! i may just need blinders... and ridalin...and lots of it! hee hee. you did great!! especially riding a big horse that you didn't get to warm up much and not having jumped in forever. you go girl!! sounds like a busy day. hope you get in a good ride.

shantel: oooh, makes sense then. i just always thought of gold being soft??? but.. hey, it works. oh are you kidding??! i HATE dental work and now i might have to go through it again?? i do have to get another crown on another molar. the second to last one on the lower right...my non-pit bull jaw side atleast. insurance will only pay half so it's gonna have to be porceli....how do you spell that? anyways... i had a cavity filled and the filling fell out, so now here comes the crown. argh.. and i think i've had one root canal already. argh... i swear...that's what happens when you drink multiple cokes a day i suppose. i have stopped doing that but i guess it's too late. thanks for all the help. i am wearing the night guard nightly now...or daily or my weeks working [Wink] . and it's amazing how in just a few days my mouth is fine again. so...lesson learned! and they did adjust it so that my bite is not quite as strong as it was. and filed down some of the teeth on that side soit won't hit as much. though man...when it's sore, it feels like it swells and no matter what i do i end up chomping down on it. but it's better now. heehee. you should look into "the old peoples riding club"... it's the equivalent of PC sorta for people over 18. i'm really thinking about joining the group in my area. hee hee. yeah..those drops were scary... at a walk! i can't imagine cantering up to them. egads! i may try the beer. fleck does sweat... just doesn't get butt sweat. so not sure if it's cause he's got a big but narrow butt or if it's cause he's not really using his arse??? but i might try the beer. he's not real fond of electrolytes either. i usually have to mix it with beet pulp to get him to eat it. or get the kind that is mostly sugar...which i don't like to do. i tried giving roany beer for her 21st birthday party. she didn't like it. i tried apple cider beer even. but i might have to try old milwaukee. hee hee. actually, here's a pic of roany on her 21st bday. she was wanting more cake!

-

oooh, i love the tear drop. don't fret. you guys are gonna do great at 1st level. when is your debut? i had fleck's hocks injected shortly before the aec's. not because i thought he necessarily needed them, but more to give him every comfort he could have. and... he did seem to track up a bit short and be a bit weak in his right hind. I did not notice a big difference with him. maybe a little one though. he seemed more inclined to do full changes instead of just in front. and he did have joint fluid that wasn't nearly as viscous as it should have been. but... can't say it made the drastic difference others have said they felt. so...not sure if fleck just doesn't need it yet or what. and i'm still on the fence about doing it as preventative...keeping him comfy, etc. cause... it's not really a preventative type thing. atleast my understanding of it. but... the adequan made a huge difference in roany. and now fleck is on twice monthly glucosamine injections. i'll upgrade as he starts working harder as we get more into training level eventing and really start to work on our second level stuff. but let me know what you think with layla. hee hee. yeah, layla looks like fleck... not quite so comfy in the bareback department! roany... now she was like riding a couch. but fleck... not so much. oooh, have a great lesson. Have you not been taking lessons? i thought you were? or just took time off for the holidays and layla's lameness issue? have fun though. and have a blast on your mini-trip! ooooh, layla's a cute cute jumper. and i really like your position in that first one. way to go! are you guys going to be jumping again? assuming you get her squared away with her right hind?

boocoo: oooh, i second that we need more beau pics. awesome! first 1 really is a fun test. and you guys are more than ready. i can't wait to hear how it goes. i'm still trying to decide if it's worth me spending all the extra money to do rec. dressage shows... i'm just wondering with eventing too, do i really have the money and time to do rec. showing at both. i do like my dressage schooling shows though...and it would be kinda nice to actually have more than two or three to compete against and see how we hold up. but... it's just so much more than the $20-30 a class schooling shows... i don't know. we'll see. oooh, what's a show workshop? sounds intriguing. have fun!

so.... i managed to get a ride in today. almost didn't though. thank God (truly did..!) that my horse is sane...ADD, but sane. I was tacking him up at the trailer cause all my tack is still in there and he tried to turn to quick to get at the cookies and managed to get almost on top of the trailer and caught his lateral fetlock on the wheel well. which i've done before too and got a nasty scrape THROUGH my breeches. bruised up and bled. and i don't bruise. so i saw it in slow motion... and was just terrified. it was almost like he was too close so he couldn't get it out of there without scraping it out. he couldn't step down on it to move his other foot, so he was essentially stuck. but... he just very slowly pulled it out. and luckily... not much injury. he scraped alot of hair off, but only managed two minor tiny little scrapes through the skin. so i immediately medicated it and then trotted him around and he was fine. so i though, sweet...i'll ride. but then he was resting it, so i hopped on bareback to try to see if he was sore. cause the goober is hard to trot and watch at the same time. and he was fine. so i tacked up and rode and told him that if he was sore to let me know. he was fine. again...thank goodness. i'm all paranoid cause my friends horse is having major issues with lameness and not knowing what caused it and has been 3 legged lame for 6 days now despite being at the vet school on 2 grams of bute twice daily. so... i freaked. but luckily my boy wasn't stupid and came out okay. i cold hosed it after our ride again and will check him tomorrow. but i'm hoping that he won't be sore of poofy. and... it was a good ride. a few moments of going hollow and bolting at the imaginary monsters in the wood, but not bad. whooo hoo.

and i got hay. not the nicest hay, but... i've got hay. so.. i accomplished alot considering i worked (ahem...well, sat on my butt and catnapped since we had no patients) the overnight last night and had a migraine. at one point i had to lay down cause i thought i would vomit but now it's just a dull but very painful ache. ugh...oh well. i'll go to bed soon and get up and work tomorrow and hopefully it'll be gone in the morning. tylenol with codeine and tylenol with caffeine didn't really work, so....

anyways...hope everyone has a safe and fun and satisfying weekend. i'm cheering you on shelly for both the clinic and the shower! and hope everyone else has good rides!

holly

Fleck, a show workshop is where we all get together in the indoor arena and discuss show strategy while we stuff our faces. Then we go outside to the show arena and watch/judge a few rides and then listen to our instructor as she works with the rider after their test, like a ride a test. Then we will probably have to stuff our faces some more!! He he. I will have to go see if I can dig up some more pictures!

Holly, sounds like a close call with the trailer!! Glad he is ok though! Layla isnt terribly uncomfortable bareback, but shes super narrow. Its like sitting on a 2x4. I will canter her but thats when its uncomfortable as those withers go into a bad place! [Eek!] I probably wont get back into jumping just b/c Layla gets REALLY hyped up over fences and really anxious. I think its b/c she was on the track, then in a field for like 2 yrs, then this lady bought her and didnt even own her for a year and was showing her in the 3' jumpers and schooling 3'6-3'9 at home and Layla didnt even have a solid w/t/c on her! She was bitted up the wazoo and just mentally fried. So I did have her cantering courses very controlled and not rushing the jumps, but when I moved to the dressage farm and stopped jumping all together, her whole personality just changed. Shes so much calmer and happier not jumping. So if we pop over a few on the trail or at home, thats cool. But we wont focus on it. And about lesson... after Xmas of 2006, I started lessoning with a new trainer. I would go like once a month or so depending on finances. Then I started school and money got tight so Id go every 2-3 months. Last lesson I had was in April right before a show. So I havent had a lesson since April last year. Ive just been continuing to work on things that we worked on in the last lesson and then had to take the break in Dec b/c of her lameness. And for showing... well my friend Jill (who has the WB mare I ride with) and I are going to our local schooling show March 15th. Then we are heading down to New Symrna Beach to do a schooling show down there March 29th. Then we might hit up Canterburys dressage show in May. Theres one in April but that might be a weekend I have to go out of town for a Continuing Education Course with work so I dunno. Depending on how the lesson goes will help me determine when Ill debut at 1st level.

Just got home about 30 mins ago from Orlando. We got down there, checked into the hotel, went at ate at Outback, and played putt putt. Then we came back to the hotel (suites really) and watched CSI NY and Miami and then went to bed. Got up, went to IHOP, met the guy and sold the supercharger, and came home. Mapquest and everything said it would take 2.5 hours.. well we made it in 1.5 hrs! Whoa. Randys friend Scott drove and he has this like $2000 radar detector and what not and pretty much was going around 80-110mph the whole way. I just buried my head in a magazine!

Well Ive got to go wash clothes and unpack. Have a good day!

Boocoo - Yay! Sounds like an awesome ride! Oooh sounds like a spiffy vest! Yay! Get pictures please! [smile]

Holly - Haha.. that thought, as morbid as it is did cross my mind. It would be ironic if we did have a run in with lightning. HAHAHA Yay we have a cheer leader! haha. Oooh on HC at work, that's nifty! Aww poor Fleck, silly boy!

Lauren - L'ning is 16 and yup, he has arthritis in his hocks. It's pretty easy to tell when he needs them again, he'll be a bit off, as in I can feel the iffyness, but you can't see it, then a couple of days later he'll come up very noticably lame when he's ridden. I dunno if it's that dramatic for Scotch but it's really obvious when he needs them done. We're still trying to figure out his "pattern" too, if he even has one.

Shantel - Lightning has arthritis, so when he needs them done again he gets really quite lame undersaddle. So we make him cofortable enough to keep him moving with a minimal dose of bute.

Umm not much going on here... just hanging around. Lots of working, not much riding or anything else much.

Hmm interesting... Layla has artritis (changes) in her lower hocks which is why we are getting them injected but I havent tried buting her. I might try that and see if that helps.

When do you give it to him verses when you ride (5 hrs before, 1 hr before) etc?

Just popping in at work..

very excited.

Found 12 - 16' round pen panels with a gate for sale in Deland Florida which is like 45 mins away. Its used but in great condition and $800. So we are heading down after work to hopefully buy them! YAY

So I got it!! I have a round pen! YAY.

And yeh.. apparently Deland is further away than 45 mins... I was thinking of Deltona... Deland is like 1.5 hrs away. We got there around 745! But they were really nice (and backwoodsey) but the round pen is in GREAT condition!

You would never know its 10 yrs old. Its alum. and only has some tiny surface rust right on the welded areas. The great thing is that it hooks together with chains with those slots for the chains to slide into like on a gate. Its actually VERY secure but SUPER easy to move and assemble.

They were 12' panels not 16' (thought it sounded too big) but its plunty big enough. And it came with a gate.

So we loaded up and headed home. Got home around 1030 after stopping and getting some dinner. Randy wanted to unload and set it up really quick so we did. The horses were running around and snorting wondering what this thing was and why they smelled other horses.

No pics as it was like 11 pm or later before I went to bed so Ill get pics today when I get home.

Oh and plus we got it for $700. [smile]

At work.. have a good day guys!

For anyone who has ever been in therapy/counselling... did you ever come across something you were not comfortable talking with the professional about? How did you handle it? A friend and an acquaintance are willing to listen as I work my way through my thoughts/feelings. But frankly, I'm wondering if I need a new professional. Someone I am comfortable enough with that I really will speak about ANYTHING that is an issue. The current guy is helpful, but I'm not getting as much out of the relationship as I could if I would let go a bit more.

On a completely different topic, Fessor was treated with EPM meds last week. The last dose was last Wednesday, and by Saturday (1st ride) he was noticably better under saddle. I only cantered a couple times around the indoor each way, but we had a real canter rather than a quick four beat scramble. Now its just a matter of rebuilding strength and endurance after 4-6 weeks off.

Shantel, I was hoping you meant 12' panels. 16' won't work for a round pen! [big Grin] My husband and I used to sell trailers and panels. We have put up and taken down and moved tons or found pens! [Crazy] 10' panels are even better, as they bend and move easier. but yeah, 12' will work just fine and it's super nice to have a round pen. I love them!!

Our show workshop was fun and productive. We watched and judged training, 1st, 2nd and PSG. It was good. I may take Beau next time.

Too busy and too long to reply to everyone but a quick note to Tracy: Wow I didn't even know Fess was EPM!. As for counseling...well you have to do what you feel is right. I know that with my counseling, it's been hard to find someone who really understands how autism, depression, and anxiety are intertwined. My mom has also spent a lot of time with different professionals for her bipolar disorder. So it's up to you, but if you don't feel 100% comfortable in your relationship, you're not going to be able to share 100% of your feelings, and that won't lead to 100% resolution. I've had counselors for only one session and for several months. Right now I'm in the same rut as you though, because I prefer the counseling of a social worker/psychologist, but I'm considering medication so it's kinda like where do I go??? Plus I haven't been in counseling since I left Wilson so that compounds the problem. So basically you have to do what you feel like you need, but if it's not all that great, I would definitely consider finding a new professional.

Megan, we weren't sure about the epm until relatively recently. I have to give the trainer credit -- she called it as a possibility long before I called in the vet. As soon as we had topline loss that was hard to explain, she was calling it a possiblilty. I waited until I could see mild neuro signs before calling in the vet. Even so, we caught it early. But I still ruled out saddle fit, chiropractic, and joint issues to explain the canter quality issues before treating for epm. We had to wait a little while for the meds to get in, since the compounding pharmacy orders it in from Canada. But once the meds were in, I knew we'd be fine. Hopefully by late spring we'll have the muscles in the rump and topline back to normal. The horses we saw last year showed visible improvement within a week. And today is one week since the last of the meds. Now its just a matter of slowly building back into work. For now, we'll focus on a lot of gentle bending and suppling at the walk, with a bit of lateral work at the walk thrown in. And for fun, we'll have a bit of loose rein trotting and maybe some walks on the trails. [smile]

Oh, just for reference, the vets here use a drug called toltrazuril. The compounding pharmacy gets in in from Canada, then mixes up batches into either liquid (which needs to be tubed into the stomach) or a paste. The horse is given two doses, two days apart. I have only seen this on relatively mild cases, but it has worked wonders! You see improvements in gait quality and muscle mass beginning within a week. After six months, you wouldn't see anything to make you suspect epm. The first time I heard of this, I thought it was snake oil. But I can't argue with the results. I do NOT know how this compares with Marquis for more severe cases. But for early/mild cases, this drug is half the cost of a month supply of Marquis and seems to work well. Just a little something to ask your vet about if necessary...

Tracy

3DayEventer.....I've had those days in college, but they seem to come and go during the college years. I think it is a natural thing to go through because as you take classes you get into ones that might challenge you and at the same time make you feel unskilled. But that is how we grow and learn through college.

Shantel.....Layla looks good in her jumping pics and she seems to be enjoying herself. Congrast on getting the alum round pen because they do come in handy.

Fleck.....ADD and being sane at the same time I guess that would explain Fleck in nut shell because that seems to be my impression every time I read yours.

TraceyA.....For me I just not a very open person, so talking to a counselor was very hard. However, I knew that the only way to get the most of her (counselor) was to face my fear of opening up. My suggestion is to go at your pace and don't feel obligated to open at the start.

Well school is getting chaotic or hectic, but I'm getting through it. Every Mon and Wed I have dressage lesson than on Fri/Sat/Sun I work and ride at the farm. My lessons have been going great, but painful because we are asking my body to things it hasn't yet done. I just looking forward to going home and seeing my girl because I can't wait to ride her. I have a couple lessons scheduled with my aunt during the week I'm home, so my girl and I can start building our friendship.

Oh ya, thanks for encouraging me to apply and I think I will just to see.

M

okay.... so i have been a bad thread poster. but...well... no excuses. gonna make this quick cause i need to go clean tack, but...

shantel: awesome on the round pen find! whoo hoo. that should make lunging ben easier huh!?

boocoo: glad your clinic was fun. sounds like a great idea. i just saw on another BB that someone was going to have a dressage diva schooling show. diamonds and tiara's or something. BLING was encouraged. hee hee. and the best score or the most sportsmanship person would win the DQ tiara and sash. how fun is that! sorry... just reminded me of it with your show clinic.

megan: crud... forgot what was up with you. hang in there!!

tracy: good luck with counseling. I think sometimes i am way too open with my feelings. But... sometimes it's easier to spill your gets to people you don't really know... like you guys! i love you guys and all, but honestly... you could be a big fat guy in a horse costume who lives in a cave and has monkey kids! hee he.e okay.. .well not likely, but.. i guess my point is... find who you're comfy with and take megan's advice [Wink]

marie: good luck with harvard....that's all i remember

lightning: have a good ride!! hope you have better rain. okay... doh! look what i just wrote... that's what happens when i try to talk to mike at the same time... hope you have BETTER WEATHER... okay...wow!! i'm a total space... cause instead of typing hope you have BETTER WEATHER AND NO MORE RAIN, i just wrote hope you have BETTER WETTER! hee hee. okay... i'm just gonna get off now...

what else... who did i miss??

sorry!!

so... yeah... nothing too exciting. roany's birthday... flecks' nakedness that took me a week. small clippers aren't that great. but it was mostly time related. horse show tomorrow. schooling dressage. only me and two girls in 1-2 and then just me in 1-4, so i'll have atleast one blue tomorrow! whoo hoo. i really do wish i had some more competition. guess it's time to hit the rec. shows huh?! then CROSS YOUR FINGERS!! that the clinic on sunday doesn't get rained out... for the second time. see...that's why i've got rain on the brain. wow..... i'm really outdoing myself this time aren't i!?? i swear that i am actually 30 years old now and have freakin' initials after my name.. i am smart. i swear! but yeah... so cross your fingers... not like you did for shelly! for reaL!!!!!

more later!

have a great weekend. good luck if anyone else is showing.

holly... the freak!

Shantel - The bute is anti-inflammatory so it should take down the joint swelling, I don't see the harm in giving her some, we just give a tiny dose and it's enough. Maybe check with oyur vet too, maybe they've got some reason they didn't suggest it [Confused] . Yay! new roundpen how exciting! and an awesome bargain too.

Tracy - Glad to hear the epm meds are working, poor Fess, he's got so much to deal with. It's a good thing he has a great mum.

Marie - sounds like you're a busy bee!.

Holly - [Eek!] How'd you know I was a big, fat man?! although I only do the horse costume every second Friday, I prefer the panda one the rest of the time, and 'cave' has such cold, dreary connotations, I prefer 'den', sounds warmer and more inviting. Yay! for definite blues LOL.

So... I had a lesson today and I walked past something on the arena sand. It MOVED [Eek!] apparently a little long-necked tortoise was very very lost. So I called my instructor over and she rescued it and put it in the pond. Lucky it didn't get smushed. I'd feel so bad if Lightning ran over him.

Also, I need to slow down [Crazy] turns out I'm now at the other extreme and driving him too much, LOL, oops.