Sign in to follow this  
Ricepaddle03

what do you think? pix and vids

so, i have been debating for a few months now if i should do dressage instead of hunter/jumper. well, more hunter than jumper lol...

this past summer, i fell off and broke my left humourous bone into three peices, i had surgery and now have a 14cm steel rod and 11 screws and a scar on my arm from my armpit to the bottom of my elbow...i'm in occupational therapy but it's still hard to do things, especially getting off the horse...try not using your left arm or putting weight on it...yeah, sucks...

i'm not scared to jump but i'm just nervious b/c if i DO fall off, i'm well, screwed...

i know dressage you still can fall off, but the chances of falling off riding dressage vs jumping, well it's less.

Plus my trainer said she has too much hock action and knee action for the hunters and a nice shoulder angle for dressage. so i wanted some opnions.

Just for fun, pix of my arm...

-

-

Oh and a brief history about Jasmine...

3 y/o tb x pinto

Mare

15.3hh 16 hh at the hip

Broke end of July 2007

she's 3 y/o, 4 in april, she already jumps 'x' rails and has done up to 2 ft, it only took maybe, 4 times riding her and she already has the hang of it, so there's not much else to teach her i guess? not until her knees totally close up, she free jumps 4 1/2 feet with room to spare, she can a 4 ft fence from a stand still...she does have a tendicy to over step and cut herself when she trots, if that even matters...lol

From last Aug, a month undersaddle

**FYI, the rider with the pink helmet is is 5'10

-

-

^^idk what she's doing here...

-

From November:

-

-

more coming!

Looks like she's off to a good start. Nice free, open gaits. A bit of a leg mover but when she matures a little and learns to be connected she'll probably overcome that and swing through the back more. Still a little on the forehand too which is to be expected at this age, but well balanced and accepting. From her demeanor she seem happy and willing. Look like she could be fun. JMHO. And as far as your arm: OUCH!

Very cute girl. Wish my 4y/o would look that calm undersaddle, haha. I think she could be a lovely dressage prospect. That's the beauty thing about dressage, ANY horse can do it.

I just wanted to comment that your standing marty is WAAAYYY too long. It is really just a useless piece of tack the way it is adjusted.

Good luck!

I broke my right femur and cracked my right hip bailing off a horse when I was 13. I have a rod in the middle of my bone and had 4 screws which they took out after 3 months.

I was like you.. they told me that if I fell again and broke my leg, it may not be fixable. Of course same thing could happen if I got into a car accident that broke my leg.

I cant tell you what to do. But I can tell you to only do what you are comfortable with and dont rush it. Theres always risk involved in everything we do. Its just your job to weigh those risks and decide if its something you want to do.

Just b/c you ride dressage doesnt mean you cant eventually jump. If you really like both, you can do combined training OR just show dressage and hunters. But with a young horse, and you on the mend, I see nothing wrong with dabbling in dressage for a while. If will def improve your seat to help you stay on and help your horse throughout its whole career.

Good luck and heal quickly!

[ 01-09-2008, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: KrazyTBMare ]

thanks guys! I really like jumping but right now i don't think it's safe for me to, you just never know. I have only walk/trot since Nov. just to get my leg strong again, I just cantered a 14hh haflinger/paint pony yesterday, just taking it slow and easy. i rode in a dressage saddle once (it was a sticky wintec) and it was niiiiiice...lol...i was like...wow, there's actually something to hold my butt in place!

I think i might put her in full dressage training for a few months and see how she does, maybe jump a few times to do something different...

lightness: leg mover? is that bad? does she move her leg too much? yeah, she doesn't know how to move through her hind yet, we only taught her w/t/c, and yes, she leans real bad to the right?

cemcem: well, when she stands the martingale is the correct length, but when she is undersaddle it gets a bit long, the trainer at the old barn, she said she wanted her in a standing, so i got one, i personally didn't see why but since it wasn't really doing anything i didn't really care (at a hunter/jumper barn), she never tossed her head or anything like that, she also was see-sawing her mouth to get her head in, which is NOT the right way, but she said her barn, her rules...so guess what i did? i moved her [big Grin] not just for that reason but that's part of it...she out of that dump now... [Yay]

KrazyTBMare: don't worry, ive been taking baby steps, walk/trot for 2 months and just cantered yesterday...I think i will do dressage for a while, who knows, this might be my calling? maybe it's god's way of saying...keep all 4 legs on the ground? lol...but it'll give me time to work on my seat and hands and teach me how to sit up! i tend to have that hunter 'lean'...leaning foward + looking down = broken arm...

just for kicks and giggles, me on jasmine, frist time back on her last Nov. Do you think i'm too big for her? oh, and this was m 3rd time back on a horse in 3 months after my accident early Aug, so please no critiques...thanks

-

[ 01-09-2008, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Ricepaddle03 ]

Nope, you're not too big. I think you look good together.

You are right to think that dressage will help you learn to hold yourself more upright. I rode in a hunt saddle for the first time in several months last night. And I was amazing at how hard it was to allow my upper body to come forward. I *used* to come forward too much with my upper body, so this is a good thing. I also found that a couple of my former bad habits are no longer embedded in muscle memory. [smile] Of course it took two years of dressage to get there.

Have fun with your youngster. Good luck together, and I hope you make a full recovery.

Tracy

hey I know how you feel. I have had the same debate. I have been doing hunters but in recent events I may be switching over to Dressage. About two years ago I fell off and shattered my humeous in three places as well as break my radius and now I have a similar plate in the back of my arm plus arthritus. Well if that break did not stop me in july of 2007 I was arguing with one pissy mare, fell off and attemped to land on my feet. I ended up breaking both maleous in my ankle and I now have a plate on one side of my ankle and a 6 in. screw on the other. So I'm at the same debate myself. I love to jump but I really don't like to break things either. I personally have sorted out my options and Dressage sounds like a good option to me right now. I hope you well and good luck with which ever endevour you take. Ride safe. [Cool]

I know how you feel. I have been in the same boat as you except I have been battling this problem for a few years now. I do did hunter/jumpers when I had a bad fall. Had some pretty good ouchies and reconsidered my future in jumping.

Unlike you tho I did do dressage for a few months and just started to really miss jumping. I now have decided I will NEVER jump any higher than a certain height to help prevent some falls (hopefully) and continue to jump. Best decision I have ever made. I still do what I have always loved doing but know it is for me I am doing it. For the joy of riding and not competing and trying to move up the ranks.

Horseback riding is one of the most dangerous sports out there. Changing discipline tho it may make you feel confident, does not take the risk for injury away. Just start off slow, take baby steps.

-

-

-

-

I will be having surgery #7 this month to revise my wrist.

RP, To answer your question about leg mover vs back mover. A leg mover is the horse who is basically unconnected over the back. He uses the joints of his legs to move along instead of swinging through the back. He may feel more comfortable for the rider but it puts more strain on the horse's joints and doesn't allow for the elasticity needed to develop the back muscles and carriying power to their full potential. A tactful rider can help overcome this.

wow!! those photo's are crazy! three different places?? that must be fun going through security!

well, it's def. going to be fixed, her swinging legs that is...she'll be in partial dressage training, 3 days a week, i take a lesson once a week on her and a hack, i figure that will be fine for her for now...i can't want to see what she'll look like in a few months!

[big Grin]