Sign in to follow this  
KrazyTBMare

Dressage Chit Chat Thread! Volume 20!!!

Happy birthday to me! [big Grin]

I'm going out shopping with Mom and Aunt Linda, then we'll probably go out to one of the Japanese restaurants in the area. Hmmmm. If we had any GOOD tack stores in the area, I'd have them take me there. I'd really like to get a dressage coat this year! Ah, well. I know a size and brand that fits well except for the too long sleaves, and one of my barnmates is quite good at sewing so it wouldn't be too hard to get the sleaves shortened.

Probably I'll just look for an outfit or two for wearing out with friends. Maybe something rather feminine and hinting suggestive rather than blatently sexual. [Wink] I have plenty of business casual for now, so I don't need any more work clothes. Maybe a suit for interviewing would make sense...

Fessor is finally coming out of spring fever. We had about three weeks when he decided it was fun to buck at least once per ride... Silly pony! He's starting to put some muscle back on after a light work spring and epm treatment over the winter. I'm hoping to take him to a schooling show in a couple of weeks. The recognized show that is close enough to get to easily is in the HOT part of July. I'd really like to show first level there with Fessor, perhaps 1-2 and 1-3.

Have a good week!

Tracy

WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?! Our thread was more than halfway down the page!!!

SOOO I've been really busy the past few weeks as usual...The term is just flying by, but I don't mind at all! I think I'm actually going to make a 4.0 this term...

Vegas is doing soooo well...her conditioning is coming back fairly well. Her training is just fabulous - it's like the time off did her good. I'm really excited for the move up to Novice this year, and maybe even first level!

Macy is just hanging out as usual, growing and being cute. I haven't groomed her in like weeks (I know I know) but she's shed out well and is getting so dapply!

OHHH!! I have some REEALLLY exciting news too but you'll just have to read my other thread about that!

happy birthday tracy!!! late birthday, but still. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!

vegas: did you find your kitty?

kay...that's all you get from me. long week of work and i'm heading to the beach today [smile] as soon as i go home, shower, stop at the grocery store, change the sheets, set up horse feed, and eat me some waffles!!! but atleast the hubby is driving and i can sleep en route!

holly

Thanks, Holly! I hope your rather busy day off is a relaxing day. [smile]

Fessor is subtly lame. Again. The doc is coming out tomorrow to help figure out where the pain is and what to do about it. I asked him to bring out the x-ray machine, just in case. The parents gave me some $$ for my birthday, so I can afford a bit of a workup. If it looks like joints, then I'll have a few plates developed and talk about putting Fessor on Adequan. In the meantime, Fess is having a bit of time off.

Oh, and for anyone with barn drama, I can relay part of a doozy of a vet/horse drama story. The short version is that one of my barnmates was visited by a DEA agent and Iowa Department of Investigations agent and asked about vet treatment of her now deceased, former horse. There's some suggestion that the vet in question was using unapproved drugs in his practice. Moral of the story, if something looks really strange on the invoice it might be as strange as it looks.

Tracy

Holly: Yep, my kitty is safe at home!!! I put up signs everywhere and went door to door. One lady thought that a cat who kept coming to her house might be mine, but we could never catch it, so we got a cat trap and put it out for the night. Well, then that evening I took Vegas across the street to the indoor to ride, and guess who had bee hiding out at that barn all week?! Little Tater-tot! So I took her home and she is very happy now!

Well, I haven't been on in a while. I have been insanely busy at work with it being the end of the school year and I am up to my ears in scholarship stuff. Plus we are right in the middle of buying our house on the 4 acres.

We had a show this past weekend and I was very proud of Beau. We qualified for Regionals, which I am so happy about!

My scores were:

Saturday

First Level Test one: 63.6% First Place

T4: 64.8% Third Place

Sunday

First Level Test one: 59.3% 3rd place. I was asleep! My bad!!

T4: 63.6%, 3rd place. We woke up and had a nice test.

Everyone said these judges were really tough, even my trainer, but I think they were fair and accurate in their scoring.

So I got one score toward my bronze at first level and I qualified for regionals at Training Level. So I am very excited. Beau was awesome and we rode better and did better than we ever have. I know, I need to post pics, I just have not had time to mess with them yet. But we had a great, fun show and I was very proud of him and I am very excited to be going to Regionals this fall!!!

I have read everyone's posts and everyone seems to be as insanely busy as I am. I have missed you all and happy riding. I will try to stay caught up!!

[ 05-10-2008, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Hi all! Like Boocoo I've been insanely busy as well!

Boocoo- YAY! Congrats on your scores! Sounds like an awesome weekend! Can't wait to see pics of your lovely beast!

Megan- I was reading your other post and wanted to know if you have ever ridden w/ this lady before? That is a MAJOR thing before doing the WS thing. I interviewed and did lessons w/ each and every event trainer that I was looking at for WS position. And that was the deciding factor for me to whom I ended up going with. But congrats on it! Very exciting time! It will help w/ your decision for sure...helped with mine

Holly- lucky girl..at the beach. I'm jealous

Okkk here's my quick update.

Scotch went to his first "real" show since 2 years ago! Holy batman. This is only his 2nd year of showing...

anyways took him to a Recognized dressage show on Sunday.

Our first test...was a disaster. What ended up happening that I was FORCED and yes I say forced to go about 15mins ahead of my schedule ride. Now keep in mind Scotch was not mentally prepared to enter that ring. We were not warmed up enough...he was still tight and looky. I was so upset at the ring/time person...I politely tried saying that I wanted to go at my schedule time...and she was putting up a big fit about it. At first I tried ignoring her but that wasn't going to work when she was barking my number out until I said something to her. So anwyays we ended up w/ a 60% in T-3. He was very tight...I was tight (b/c I was pissed) and it wasn't a nice test. So he came in 6th out of 14

So after that test I let him just chill out next to a ring. Much much better warmup this time around. Relaxed and a happy ponyboy

T-4 w/ a 71% gave us 2nd place...behind Heather Mason! Took Reserve Champ too! Yeh ponyboy!

These were big classes w/ big names in them. ex. Chris Hickey was riding there

One of my goals where met...qualf. score for Regionals.

Will have pics later.

Ok here's the big bomb...I have to move Scotch. The farm went up for sale and our awesome BM is leaving at the end of May. Entire barn is panicking...as there isn't another BM lined up to take over. So for the last month I've been searching....found some nice places but no one has room! If they will it won't be for another month or so! Ack. keep your fingers crossed for us

[ 05-08-2008, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: 3DayEventer ]

Oh my gosh, you're all such bad chit-chatters! [Razz] Yeah I've been shocking too.

Megan - Aww I'm so glad you found kitty!

Boocoo - Oh well, everyone has bum shows. I'm sorry you didn't make your goals, those were great scores to make up for it though!

Holly - Mmm waffles, we were talking about waffles at work the other day LOL.

Lauren - Aw bummer, I hope you find somewhere for Scotch soon!

Quick update here. Possum bunny can't process calcium and has calcium sludge in his bladder. This means he can't eat his pellets or lucerne/alfalfa hay anymore. But he doesn't want JUST fruit/veg so he's not eating very much. He can eat grass hay but nobody uses grass hay here so it's hard to get, especially in bunny size portions. So we're trying to get him to eat what he's allowed to have, but he doesn't want those things.

The same week we did x-rays and things on the rabbit, Lightning came up lame, holding his little leg up and looking miserable. Turns out he strained his fetlock chasing the new horse in the paddock [Roll Eyes] . Together with a few major changes around the place that probably shouldn't be put on a public board, it's been a loooong week.

So while the Lightning man heals I'm riding said new horse. An adorable little Appaloosa, verrrrry different to Lightning, a LOT quicker LOL, but a lot of fun. His canter is pretty wild, but he doesn't know much yet.

Our road also collapsed, which means we have to take the looooong way to town (30 mins as opposed to 5 mins down the hill).. where I work.... everyday.. it's quite draining to go all that way allll the time.

-

^ that's our road!

Anyway, that was probably longer than anyone wanted, you get a cookie for reading all that.

Hope everyone has a good day/night/whatever time it is there!

Lightning, I did make my goals. Go back and read my post over my dear!! [big Grin] What I said was in the rec. show I went to the beginning of April, Beau was a fruit loop and we did terrible. Then I said, we redeemed ourselves at the show we went to last weekend, with those awesome scores, of which I was very proud, considering the judges were said to be so tough. I earned one score towards my bronze medal, and both of my qualifying scores for regionals. Qualifying for regionals was my main goal and I accomplished that last weekend. You have to have a 63% or higher at T4, which is what I was qualifying for and I had a 63.6% and a 64.8%. So yes, we did qualify, that was my goal!!! I went back and edited my post and took out what I said about the show at the beginning of April, so nobody else would read it wrong either!! Guess it wasn't worded right!

Lauren, I am sorry you have to move Scotch. That is always a pita!! Exactly why we are in the middle of buying horse property and I will soon have my horses at home and not have to put up with anymore barn owners bs, amongst other things! [big Grin] Good luck in finding a place.

[ 05-10-2008, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Lightning, no big deal!! Really!! I shouldn't have worded it that way. It was confusing and I would have read it the same way you did!! [Wink] So it's all fixed now!!

We went down to a rescue organization of sorts today. They are a non-profit organization that places ex-race horses into good homes. I am approved and we are going to adopt two geldings. One is a gorgeous 7 year old TB who will never be able to be ridden again. He has an extreme suspensory ligament injury. The other is a 5 year old TB that is declared sound. He is pretty laid back and I am not looking for a dressage prospect out of him, rather just a laid back riding horse. I may actually have a friend lease him and keep him at my house and get him going with some lower level dressage work. He may be suitable for her to show him at the schooling shows, if not, no big deal. They are all sweethearts and I wanted them all!! So Beau will have nice friendly buddies when we move to our property next month.

Here for your viewing pleasure, pictures of Spencer at 3 days old. Mama is a cute little hunter Quarter Pony. Daddy is unknown. My suggestion for a showname that may actually get used... "Who's Your Daddy".

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Tracy

Wow tracy that is a nice looking little baby there! So cute...man I've got the baby fever in a bad way...That's a great show name too...I'm thinking that maybe I'll when I get my baby I'll name him What Happens in Vegas [big Grin]

Okay so everyone must be really busy cause we've been on the same page for like a week! I know I've been really busy, but there's only three weeks of school left then finals, and then I go to Canada!! Man, these last few weeks have been rough, but I'm really trying to stay strong for the finish. Even my attendance is really good this term - I'm at like 97% and I've never made it above 85% before.

The ponies are doing great and Vegas is finally getting her conditioning back up. I started her on probiotics a few days ago and it has made a HUGE difference. You'd think that I would think to do something like that after a month of antibiotics, but it passed me up...oh well, she's doing great now!

Macy is growing sooo much too! I can hardly believe it. I'm actually going to take some pictures of her this week and get them up for you all to see, I promise. Man, that little girl is going to grow so much while I'm gone!

Boo - Aw I bet Beau will be so happy to have friends! That was so great of you to adopt them, they'll be very happy with you! How exciting, not long now and you'll be able to walk out the back and find your ponies! [Jump]

Tracy - Aww, isn't he just the cutest thing!

Megan - Yeah almost finished! Then off on your grand adventure!

Lightning is good to go again, now he's just fat and unfit.. actually he's mostly always fat, so that isn't really a product of time off [Roll Eyes] . But it's awfully nice to get back on him again!

I'm still riding the little appaloosa, he's found a family in the 'barn', but he still needs a bit of work before he's solid in wtc, he's much fun though and definitely a challenge. Trying to spread my time over 2 horses is hard though... here's a pic 'cause he's pretty cute [Wink]

-

Apart from that. Possum is still being picky [Frown] . Anyone know how to get a bunny to eat the things that are good for him??

And so Lightning doesn't feel left out... Who would own this face?

-

He's famous for his floppy lips [big Grin]

Anyway, hope everyone has a good day/night/whatever time it is there!

Wow, I haven't posted in forever!!

I have been super busy, and have been pretty good about readiing the CC thread, just not about replying!

This coming weekend I am going to Montana to look at a horse. My dad is coming with me, so we'll split the driving (fun [Wink] ). My trainer Kari knows of the horse, and she'll be teaching a clinic down there so I will be able to take a couple lessons. We're driving down on a Friday, I'll ride the horse on Saturday, ride again early morning Sunday, and then drive home Sunday. So it'll be a long weekend with lots of driving!! I am excited though.

School is finally coming to an end. My last day of school is June 17th, so I still have a few weeks, but we're getting there. I am very ready for summer break!!

I also have a job now, I teach beginning and a bit of intermediate riding lessons at a stable near my home. That has been rewarding.

Overall things have been pretty good. I am really hoping this horse works out and that I purchase one soon, as I'd like to do some showing this season, but what happens, happens. I don't want to rush to buy a horse just so I can show this season. I still have the USEF Dressage Seat Equitation Finals to look forward to, whether or not I purchase a horse this summer, since I'll be borrowing one for the Finals.

I hope everyone and their horses are healthy and happy!

Hey Luv, nice to see you on the board. Let us know how the horse shopping trip to Montana goes!! I was born in Montana!! That's great you are teaching lessons now. So does this mean you are now an Open rider? Good for you!

Don't know if you read my previous thread, but I am very proud of Beau and have qualified for regionals this year!!!

I just got home from an amazing lesson. Beau is really learning to stretch and reach forward now and come up over his back, since my trainer has been riding him, while I am finally getting the concept of outside rein balancing and inside rein suppling! I am also getting my seat much better when asking him for the canter and not throwing him off balance as much. We are having huge improvements on an extreme regular basis now. He will be at my trainers through the entire month of June and then I will get to move him home to my new house the first of July. We are closing on June 13th, so that will give us time to get the barn up and all that good stuff. And I am off after June 12th, till Aug. 4th! Perfect timing. I will do workshops at my trainers this summer and then start showing again the beginning of September.

McKenzie! [Huggy] We sure have missed ya. Sounds like you've been busy and such. Let us know how the horse shopping goes. Best of luck...hope that you find something!

Boocoo- Congrats on a great accomplishment. We all are very proud of you and Beau! Awesome that things are going so well w/ your trainer and your handsome beast! Exciting how a horse can develop and grow with a competent professional. I would love to put Scotch into training for a month with someone. Cool new house! I would love to see some pics of the property. Is this the one that's equine friendly??

Not much here. Busy busy and busy. Just found out that I'm going to run my sister's small seafood store as she is opening up a new location. [Crazy] I'm a bit freaked...as I will still be a full time college student and have the responsibility of keeping the store organized and running. I think I might have to take some yoga lessons or something to help with all the stress that I seem to be collecting.

Scotch is doing well!!! I am moving him to a new barn this coming Sunday and am VERY excited. This barn is stunning. Private facility that the owner custom built. The indoor and footing is AMAZING. I can't recall the name of the footing but it's the kind that you don't have to water...its like walking on air. Scotch will have a lovely pasture w/ a run in shed and a roomy stall w/ plenty of shavings to lay his ponyboy head on.

On another note I've been trainerless for about 3 months now...trying to take as many clinics w/ Scott Hassler, but at times I get stuck and wish that I had an eye on the ground every week.

It is frusterating for me at times. Planned on going down to Scott's farm in 2 weeks, but my friend's horse came up lame and we aren't going. [Frown] Was very bummed about that...I really need lesson!

Hope everyone is doing well! OH I'll have to post pics of Scotch jumping in about a year! We went XC schooling a few weeks back! WAHOO!

Wow Lauren, running a seafood store and college. You will be busy, but don't you dare stop going to school!!!! Glad you are moving to a new barn. Any chance of a good trainer available there?

The property we are buying is 4 acres and yes it is equine friendly. Only reason we are buying it. The appraisal is tomorrow, then the survey and then we will know when we close. Then I can go order my barn. Once the barn is up and the pasture fence is up, I can go get the two new boys! The girl who is going to ride the 5 year old for me is real anxious to meet him. Course he will need to build up some muscle tone and conditioning. He hasn't worked since last September, so we will take it nice and slow with him. All should be done by the middle of June and then Beau will come home on July 1st. He will stay at my trainers for the entire month of June. I won't have much time to ride, so works out great. Having her ride him has been the best thing I have ever done. Apart from when we first started him back in the fall of 04' and my trainer then rode him for 2 months, that's the only professional training he has had. I have been riding him ever since. So now she has been riding him for almost 2 months and I still ride him and take lessons once a week on him. It has been great!

Whoa, we fell off the page!

McKenzie -Welcome back. Good luck in Montana! That's good that your trainer will be down there too! Congrats on your job.

Boocoo - Yay for an amazing lesson! Woohoo I'm excited for you! The new place will be so exciting, and you'll have your own little herd right there!

Lauren - Oh wow, sounds like you'll have a lot on your plate! At least you'll learn to have fantastic time management skills LOL. Oooh a new fancy barn! Sounds like a really NICE place.

Not much exciting going on here, working, it's raining and cold, annnd school that's it, LOL. The days are getting so short, hmph [Frown]

Boocoo - It is volunteer work, so no, I will still be riding in the JR/YR division.

Well, the Montana trip went great!! I am finishing up the process of purchasing the horse [big Grin] She is a 6 year old (will be 7 next month) double registered Oldenburg ISR and Half Arab. Her name is First Arielle, her sire is First Class. She's 15.3h, chesnut with two white hind socks and a white stripe. She's had some time off as she had a 2007 Colt (by Contucci). The shipping company we are using to get her to Olympia doesn't have a confirmed date yet, but she should be arriving within the next week. I am very excited!! She's a nice mover, has a great temperament, passed the vet check and hock x rays with flying colors. She is green for her age, but I am going to do a few recognized shows this summer at Training Level.

That's my big update for now!

Congrats McKenzie!! [smile] Can't wait to see pics of this new girl!

Boocoo- no trainer there. The area I'm in isn't well known for dressage trainers...which sucks. So I'll be doing lots of stuff on my own. Though Angela Saxon (rode for Iron Springs Farm for 10-15years) is somewhat nearby...but i don't think she travels. And I don't have a rig to haul him to her place in. Oh well. sounds like things are going well w/ Beau! That's great!

Lightning- ick it's winter season for you yes? Yup this new farm is FABULOUS! i'll have to get some pics this week!

Not much else is new here. busy busy busy.

OMG I am so out of the loop but it sounds like we are all busy with all sorts of fun things - new horses and sound horses and horse property and lessons and other fun things.

Congrats on everything. I have read it all but boy thats a lot to reply to. I am so excited for everyone with their new purchases and achievements!

As for Layla and I... we have been doing great (see show post from a few weeks ago). I am giving her the shot to short cycle her on Friday and Monday morning I am taking her down to Ocala to get bred. YAY. Well I mean I am dropping her off at the clinic for a few days and when its time she will get bred. Im super stoaked!!

Work is going good. I am finally starting to adjust to this whole waking up at 530 thing and busting arse until like 130-200pm. Its super nice getting off early and being able to take care of things.

I dont know if I posted that I got to have a lesson on my trainers PSG gelding a few Sats ago. He was amazing. We did half pass and extended trot (whoa) and canter piruoettes... it was just great. Hes a lot like Layla in that he likes to get very light in the contact and you really have to work to maintain a proper contact but he really showed me where I was weak and helped me ride better.

Nothing else really going on.

I will update about Layla becoming a mom hopefully next week.

Congrats Luv! Can't wait to see pics of your new mare. She sounds lovely. You two will be great together.

Our deal on the house fell through. It would not appraise and the seller wouldn't lower her price! So back to the drawing board. We are looking at two homes right now, both on 5 acres. One has an arena to die for and the other has nice pastures and a fabulous in ground pool. I wish I could somehow combine them! However, the one with the arena is our first choice. It has nice pastures, but not very big, which is really fine with me. And it has a lovely house on it. No barn so I would be bringing in my barn that I will order. The arena is fabulous footing and I'd gestimate at about 200 ft. x 100 ft. So plent of room to set up a dressage ring and still be able to go around the outside of it and trot up the center line. This is a good thing for Beau. He still has issues with that sometimes from the race track and barrel racing.

My last day of work till August is Thursday! I am so ready to have some time off. I am absolutley fried. Course I will probably be moving, but oh well. That will be worth it.

Sorry the deal fell through but it is meant to be. Sounds like this other place will be great. And you def dont need large pastures, just a few to rotate on. I have 3 acres but really only 1.5 acres for the horses and I have 2 big pastures and one small one and I rotate and have lovely grass all year long.

Good luck on making it through the end of school!

Smaller pastures are better for Beau. I think because he had never been turned out before I got him. Took me 3 years to get him used to it. He is much more secure in smaller places. We ended up getting the place! I am stoked, because this place has an arena that is just fabulous! The footing is perfect and not a rock in it. She built it up on a nice base and it should drain really well! I can not believe that at 40 something, ( even though I don't look a day over 29, [ROTFL] ) I am finally going to have a nice arena. I have waited for this for years! Not to mention the house is awesome, as is the entire place. Very private. I don't think you can see the neighbors houses through the trees! Gotta love that! [big Grin]

Tomorrow is my last day at work! Literally. I won't go back in the fall. To far to drive, so that means I have to find another job!

[Eek!] and quick!!! But it will be oh so worth it.

Krazy, I saw your posts about your last show. I have not commented, yet. I think you guys look great and are doing fabulously! And when are you breeding Layla?

[ 06-11-2008, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

McKenzie - Yay! Congratulations on purchasing the horse! Can't wait for pictures [Wink] I bet you can't wait for her to come home!

Lauren - Yup winter, ewwww LOL. Yes we definitely need pics of the new pony-pad, hehe.

Shantel - Yay! Hopefully she takes this time. My fingers are crossed!

Boocoo - Oh wow! LOL! The big move! Congrats! Can't wait to see all your boys in the new place! Hope you find a new job soon.

Not much going on here, it's cold, wet and miserable, and I'm sick, hmph. I hate winter [surrender]

At work... about to go home.

I got up at 530am to take Layla to Ocala. Thank God it was on the north side of Ocala so it only took me about an hour 45mins instead of 2.5 hrs. The clinic is super nice and they had her stall bedded with straw... I dont believe she has ever been on straw before. She was walking all high stepping and eating the straw! LOL Silly mare. She walked in, started eating and drinking, and was fine. They checked her this am and she only had 2 very tiny folicles (of course...!) so they will wait until Wed or Thurs to check again. There goes $150 in board for nothing.. ugh oh well. What can you do?

I feel like an empty nest. Ive never had her go away like this before. I feel bad for Ben too.. all here by himself.

Anyways.. I should be home shortly and will try to catch up. [smile]