Sign in to follow this  
shamr0ck.stalk3r

Your Favorite Trainers

What are your favorite trainers, books, rider/horse teams?

I'm new to dressage and would like to learn all I can. Where are some good places to start that I can look into that doesn't include a horse? I can't afford lessons right now.

Who have YOU learned from? Who inspires you?

Thanks.

Dr. Reiner Klimke has been my inspiration for well over a decade, even though he passed away some time ago. His videos (there are two different series) demonstrate and explain very, very good dressage.

I also really love the books by Charles de Kunffy, but they are rather technical and if you're new to dressage they might be a bit difficult to understand.

"My Horses, My Teachers" by Alois Podhasky (spelling) is an excellent book about dressage that is fun and easy to read.

"Ahlirich, the Making of a Dressage World Champion" by Dr. Reiner Klimke is another good, easy to read book.

Watching videos of competitions is always fun and educational.

And if you can't afford a horse or to ride right now, go to some shows in your area and volunteer!!!! Also, see if volunteers are needed at any clinics, and if not, at least go and audit.

Riders: Chris Bartle, Steffen Peters, Lisa Wilcox.

Trainers: WAZ, Kyra Kyrklund, W. Museler

[ 04-18-2008, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: lightness ]

Charles de Kunffy is one of my favorites, he has a video called seats and aides I, i assume there will be a II soon. it is easy to understand and taught me a lot. but his writings are a little harder to read...i like the video because even if i dont know exactly what he just said, i can rewatch it or just see the action of what he is talking about

I have had the pleasure of riding with Ed Rothkranz, he done several clinics where i board. i really like him too.

Gary Wallen And bill hoose. These are the only two big trainers around here that I have trained with. both of them are perfectionists and yell at you if you arent doing something right or tell you that you look bad. I love trainers like that. I also love my everyday trainer, Liz barcomb(sp). She is sweet when I need it. LOL

Thank you all for your enlightening responses! I will be googling the people mentioned and seeing where I can find those books and videos. I'll be in and out asking random questions and I'm grateful for the answers. Thank you again.

quote:

Originally posted by BareBackBabe04:

bill hoose.

he is awesome!! i love watching him ride. i never get to see his dressage, i am always on XC. but i have seen him use dressage on XC. he was on a greenie coming at my fence and it was a scary one for this horse. he side passed one way then back the other. never once taking a step back. it was really cool to watch.

Ralph Hill is another i love to watch. i was warm up steward and he had several students with him. and as he was warming up he coached several others that weren't his students. really neat guy.

Bill Hoos . . . now there's a blast from the past! I clinicked with him when I was about 14 I think. 7 years ago!

I like the Spanish School, and I try and audit or clinic with Herwig Radnetter, one of the instructors, at leat once a year.