Sign in to follow this  
skippysowner

"good scores"

What is considered a "good score" in Dressage. I know the higher the better. I always figured anything about a 60 was considered a good ride... am I right?

I do not train dressage however I ride similar to dressage riders very much through your body. Anywhose I have shown dressage a few times and have scored anywhere from 55 to a 70. (the 70 was this weekend).

I show hunt, western pleasure, saddleseat, and now dressage [smile]

anywhose.... What do YOU consider a good score?

Depends on the horse and the ride and the judge and the level.

But yeah, generally it's 63 and up and up for me.

10 Excellent

9 Very Good

8 Good

7 Fairly Good

6 Satisfactory

5 Sufficient

4 Insufficient

3 Fairly Bad

2 Bad

1 Very Bad

0 Not Performed

Each horse and ride is different. Sometimes just getting a horse in the trailer and to the show is a victory. I remember at a Jane

Savoie clinic she told a story about a friend who was really excited about her placement in a class. She told Jane she was excited about her score and that it put her in 4th place. Jane said she told her friend that couldn't be right because she (Jane) was in 4th place. The friend explained that Jane counted from the top and she counted from the bottom. It's all really how you look at it.

[ 04-21-2008, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: lightness ]

Depends on so many things. The first time I took my OTTB to a show, I was thrilled with a 55% at intro [big Grin] A 17 year old girl from my barn just showed PSG for the first time on an appy she trained herself and scored at 59% - that's INCREDIBLE! When I take my girl out, she'll get a grace period because she hasn't been shown before, but after that, assuming scores match the ride [Wink] , I won't be happy with much below a 66 or 67 at training level - she's easily 70+ material.

It depends on the horse, on the rider, on the level at which they're competing, and most importantly - on the goals for the show. By fall, I'm shooting for 70s. But her first time out? I'm hoping to stay on, and enter and exit at A [Wink] With Anna, who is safe and reliable but not as fancy, 60 at first level would be my "good" mark.

quote:

Originally posted by wiseacre:

C'mon--let's see your Dressage rally footage!!
[smile]
Mine's coming soon...

Ahh, I cannot put a video to youtube to save my liiiifffee.

I think it really depends on the horse. If you have one who is an average mover and a very difficult ride (*cough* my mare *cough*) then a 60 is a good score. However, a horse with much flashier gaits who is not as complicated to ride may regularly score in the upper 60's or 70's. A 60 would not be a good score on this horse.

With my mare, I am thrilled with a 60. Just getting her into the ring without her getting nervous, dropping her back, lifting her head, and prancing like a nut. I'm sure I don't help her much because I get nervous since she acts like this. We just needs lots of schooling shows since she is lovely at home [smile]

A good score for me and Ice is anything 36 and below - for dresage taht would be a 64 and up

here is a test i just got a 22.5 / 77.5% (ugg i hate doing the conversions!) It was training eventing, so that is 1st level dressage.

[ 04-25-2008, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: eventingqueenx3 ]

I haven't shown in so long that when I finally do again (gearing up for it now) I will be happy to just get though an accurate test and have a good time. I'll mainly be using whatever score my mare and I get to help set our goals for the next ride.

Really, I think like anything it's relative until a certain point.