Sign in to follow this  
alegnia

Yearling Prospect photos

Hello All! Sorry to Divert from the dressage topic, but here are some more recent pictures ofmy newly gelded yearling Canadian Warmblood (Dutch parents).

This is our second time lunging. Sorry for the poor quality. taken from cell phone

-

-

Doing the customary inital flight around the arena at light speed

-

I do so know howto walk....

-

trotting like a dorcus

-

Let me know whatyou think!

Very cute. What are the bloodlines? Babies are a great deal of fun, especially watching them develop. Be careful with longing a yearling though, especially in that footing, with it being deep. You can do a good bit of damage and not realize it. Generally, we don't do any longing until much, much later--too much stress on young horse bodies. Good luck with him, he'll be a standout.

[ 06-05-2008, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: PMJ ]

I'll just restate what PMJ said: just be careful with the lungeing! It's very hard on their tendons and bones and you don't want to cause any problems. Just keep sessions short! And if you did, just ignore me lol.

He has a great trot on him, however, at the yearling stage it is almost impossible to tell what they're going to look like older. I've seen horrid looking yearlings grow up into gorgeous horses and vice versa. The breeders I know live by this: "3 days, 3 monthes, 3 years" meaning that at those ages, is when you're going to see what your horse will probably look like as a fully grown horse. I was impressed with how correct it was with my filly.

And once again, like PMJ said, what are his bloodlines?

Good luck!

Did he just turn a year old this past spring? If so, he is a bit to young to be longing yet and that footing does look to be a bit to deep as PMJ posted.

I usually don't start longing babies till they are long yearlings, (18 months) and then only once or twice a week. A lot of good things to do with babies is hand walk them, teach them to whoa, back up, walk and trot forward all in hand. Teach them to move away from slight pressure and teach them ground manners. They should not get in your space and they should be respectful, stand quietly when tied, lift their feet nicely, accept grooming and clipping, shots, wormer, loading in and out of the trailer, etc... A little at a time rather than to much too soon and keep your training session limited to about 15 min. so you don't overload their brains!! [big Grin]

Babies can be a lot of fun and yours is quite the handsome youngster!

Dittos on the no lungeing thing for youngsters. You're better off to do in-hand work with attention to ground manners, respect, that sort of thing.

I found work in-hand to prepare my (adult) mare for Sporthorse showing to be extremely helpful. Don't know what part of the country you're in, but try to find a clinic or trainer who can show you the ropes regarding in-hand sporthorse training. It'll be something fun to do with your youngster while he grows.

Yeah, I usually wait till at least 2 to begin longing, but he has been cooped up in a stall for a while this spring due to crummy weather, and his pasture mate is a yearling stud colt, so that limits where they can be put. He's only lunged maybe 3 times just to get him out of the barn for a bit. The rails in the round pen/arena thing are too low for him, so if I let him run loose he trys to jump out. Figured I'd risk the lungeline to prevent other rambuctious accidents from occuring.

He is staying at my aunts farm till he is old enough to be started as I am away most of the year at Vet School and can't afford to drag a yearling 800KM away. Its not a pretty place, but it fits my student budget and he is well taken care of. My aunt has been raising horses for 30 years, though this is her first warmblood.

I allready have a trainer lined up to help me start him, she works with the people I bought him from, Excellwarmbloods, who are really good friends of mine and have been helping me along. I have worked with countless appy's and QH but this is my first Warmblood.

As far as other training goes, we have been doing alot of in hand work and alot of reinforcement of voice commands. Have walk trot canter woah and back down pat. We do alot of "bombproofing" too. We walk calmly over tarps, poles, etc. He's great with his feet, been trimmed a couple of times, and lets me work around his head (even clippers!) and bathing- a frequent thing with that white coat! There are not a lot of in hand trainers up here, so most of what Ive learned has come from correspondance with trainers in other countries and books/videos.

His Dad is Eastern Ruler, who is sired by G ramiro Z, and the dam Zola by Onyx SF

His dam is a paint warmblood cross who received gold rating at the CWBH inspections.

Thanks for looking! I will get more pics in a bit once this rain lets up!