Sign in to follow this  

Trail Chat

Awesome! I swear someday I'll get a horse up there.. hopefully soon. I was there twice in the past year. I bet it's amazing fun with horses.. all those hills and hollers and waterfalls and everything.. [smile] I did get real excited when I saw they are horse friendly.. even though I hadn't bought my horse yet last time I was there. Just planning ahead... [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by Me N' Ace:

Shann where exactly from Ky. are you from? I'm from/live in Ky. also. I live in a small town called Calhoun, it's right outside of Owensboro.

We're between Fort Knox & Flaherty. About 20 minutes from Elizabethtown. I work in Louisville, it's about an hour drive. Used to spend part of my summers in Greenville, down in Muhlenburg Co. My ex-husband is from down there. My clerk is from Madisonville, we always tease each other about shopping at the Uncle Lee's Store. [Wink][big Grin]

There's another board member from down thataway, around Clinton, KY, I think.

Howdy [smileywavey] everyone. I live for trail riding. I have a 15.2hh 6 yr old Appendix QH named Da Brute.I broke him last spring, so he's still pretty green. I live in northern Saskatchewan Canada.

I put on close to 400 miles this summer on Da Brute. I love to get up early and go all day if I can. A 10 mile ride is just a warm up for Da Brute. I take off and usually ride around 15 to 20 miles at a time and mostly by myself. Just me Da Brute and my dog gone dog. [big Grin] My dream trail ride is to go up north into the provincial forest along the eskers. It's beautiful country, lots of lakes, rivers and streams and forest as far as the eye can see. [Wink][Wink] Every year there is a group that goes on a trail ride up there and one day I'm gonna be one of them. [big Grin]

quote:

Canadian Outrider. I would love to have your job. Do you ever get sick of it? I bet you don't.

Hey,

Yeah, it really is an awesome job. You get to meet people from all over the world and do what we all love best : ride.

It can get very stressful,ha. Every year we get about 75 Japanese girls come through. They can hardly speak english and have never been on horses..if that doesn't give you gray hair I don't know what will.

I was the first girl they ever hired at the ranch..haha didn't think a gril could keep up with the boys! Needless to say, the barn has never been cleaner or the horses shinier.

lol, I love it.

Well, my new saddle came in today. Really excited right?

Wrong...

After months of debating which saddle to buy. Deciding on the best overall specs. I used a friend's saddle of identical model and size. I loved her saddle. It ships with a medium gullet - which is exactly what he is in now. The new saddle does not fit my horse!

I am so mad. There should be an industry standard that says medium gullet is x inches wide. Medium here and medium there can be 2 different things. This is why I tried her saddle first. Oh well - manufacturing specs can be off.

I put a sheet on his back and put on the saddle with no fittings. Four fingers fit in the front. Of course, with that much clearance - the gullet is too narrow. The panels are bridging! I ordered from Jeffers. They have a 10 return policy if there is no evidence of use. I will call them tomorrow and give them the choice of sending a different gullet plate or taking their saddle back and losing the sale.

I needed to have break in time on this saddle before a LDR endurance the first weekend in January. I am so aggravated over the saddle situation. There is no way I am going to spend this kind of money and not have a good fit.

[Mad] Sorry to complain, but I knew you guys could sympathize.

[smileywavey] Hi all, just got home from work, hate working the evening shift.

Canadian Outrider, where in manitoba are you? I to live in manitoba.

Wish I could get some more trail riding in this year, but with the weather like it is, and the worst yet to come, i don't get to do much riding.

Flequus, I'm with you on the saddle fitting issues. I'm begining to think i have an odd shaped horse. I do believe though, that my mare is slightly lopsided due to an injury she got when she was a foal. Good luck with the saddle shopping

Mornin' everybody [big Grin] ! It is lovely weather here in Northeast Louisiana today. I love these cold snaps we have around here (rarely). The horses were running in the pasture this morning with their tails high in the air and "puffing" as I call it. They just run from one end of the pasture to the other. It is so pretty. Well, I had better do some work so I will check in with you guys around lunch. Oh yeah, does anyone know how to get skunk stink off of a dog? Our baby got hosed..twice [Eek!] .

Bye! [smileywavey]

You might try baking soda too- dump it on him & rub it in real good. Let it set for a bit & then wash off. Good luck! [Wink]

A question for ya'll: in my continuing search for a steady, calm horse for myself...what do you think about older horses? I had a lady contact me with a 14yo gelding who sounds good but I'm not sure about that age. Opinions to share please???

Thanks!

Shann

Shann, if the 14 year old matches all the other qualifications of what you're looking for, don't even blink an eye! That is truly not very old, and it's sometimes nice to have a horse with experience behind him already...Remember my Napoleon story? LOL! [big Grin]

Flequus, I'm so sorry to hear of your saddle situation. I was sort of clueless on just how touchy this whole saddle-fitting situation was until Dually12 taught me about it. YOU ARE NOT ALONE, my friend! [Wink] Be glad that you're a horseowner that cares enough. Many only think of their own comfort, and never once consider the well-being of the horse when it comes to saddles. HATS OFF to you! [notworthy] I hope it works out somehow...

Well, we're heading to have lunch with Autumn at her school. Today is their Thanksgiving Day lunch and the parents are invited. Myah is so excited, she's trying to dress herself! So, better get in gear. I'm off today, so I'll be checking in with you all later! Have a safe and horse-filled day! [smileywavey]

Lora, thanks cuz! And yes, he suits everything to a tee- from the mounting issue to even having experience w/4H plus roping. He's a "been there, done that" kinda guy.

Have fun at Autumn's lunch, tell her "howdy" from us! [smileywavey]

Morning all [smileywavey]

Hope you're all having a good day.

The weather here is starting to turn nasty. Wind, and the dark clouds are on their way, this could mean snow [Eek!] I'm not ready for snow yet.

Shann, as far as older horses go, in my opinion, 14 isn't really that old. And if the horse turns out to be what you're looking for, I say go for it. [smile]

Have a great day all!!

quote:

Originally posted by shann1turner:

A question for ya'll: in my continuing search for a steady, calm horse for myself...what do you think about older horses? I had a lady contact me with a 14yo gelding who sounds good but I'm not sure about that age. Opinions to share please???

Thanks!

Shann

Sounds like a nice horse...I would go for it..his age is just about perfect...(12-15)..he's been there and done that..

Good Luck.

Shann, I wouldn't be as worried about the age as I would the temperment of the horse. Mine is 19 and acts like he's 2 most of the time.

Supposed to be kid broke. (I'd call it false advertising).

Go with one you are comfortable with. I figure mine will live to 100 just to spite me.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I sent the lady an email so we'll see what happens.

Trailmom, it has really amazed me the horses we've gone & looked at that were supposed to be kid-broke. [Eek!] I've decided that what they really mean is that their kids did the breaking, that's why the horse is so awful!

We have a mare who is sooo terrible most of the time, she's just a punk. But when she's in the mood she's sweet as pie. She seems to know when she's pushed George to the snapping point- that's when she'll walk over & lay her head on his shoulder. [Roll Eyes] We keep threatening to sell her but I don't think it'll ever happen. I figure why inflict her on anyone else?!

Hi everyone! [smileywavey] Been busy the last couple of days. I come back and WOW!, all new bulletin board.

My husband and I love to trailride. My daughter would rather be barrelracing! We have 4 horses. Doc, 19 sorrel flaxen m & t; Misty, 20 buckskin; Reo, 2 1/2 gold palomino (green broke); Scooter, 7 month buckskin colt.

I've been around a while, I just mostly lurk unless I see something I might can help with. Hope ya'll don't mind me joining the trail group.

Shann: 14 isn't old. That horse still has 6 yrs. left before he even gets to the age of my older two. [big Grin] I just hope my 2 yr. old turns out half as good as her momma.

Good Morning..eerrr..Afternoon all [smileywavey] I just came back in from brushing 3 VERY DIRTY HORSES. My arms are killing me and now I have to go to work.

Shann--14 is a good age. Like horsenaround said, "Been there done that" and there are still quite a lot of good years left. Good luck.

Have a good day everyone, off to work [smileywavey]

Howdy! Well, back from lunch. My husband and I met our 6-year-old daughter for Thanksgiving lunch at her school. They were all so cute....half of the classes were wearing pilgrim outfits and the other half were dressed as indians. Bought her a few books from the book fair too. I bought one that I hadn't read since I was a kid [Razz] . There Was An Old Woman Who Ate a Bat, I believe is the name of it. This evening I am going to ride our stallion (Podray)and I guess just brush off the 3 five month-olds we have. Very dirrrrty *sneeze*! Still can't ride Lace and the cultures haven't made it back from Texas A&M yet. How long does this have to take?? ARRGH! Getting very frustrated here.

Okay, just called the vet's office and guess what? They have the test results back from A&M on Lace. Yeah [big Grin] *happy dance* [big Grin] !!!!!! Guess what else....THE VET IS OUT! While there are three other vets there, since this vet has been working on her and he is the head of the office I can't find out until tomorrow. WHAA *drops head and says expletive*. Let ya'll know later what test's show. [Wink]

Hi everyone. I'm glad I found this board. I haven't done much trail riding lately, I must say I haven't done any riding lately. The past 2 years were extremely busy what with getting married and everything. But this summer I purchased my first horse,( i've been lucky and had riding privleges of other peoples) now I have to wait for her to grow up (hurry, hurry, hurry). I can't wait to get to know everyone, although I already feel like I know ZM after visiting her website. [smile]

Hi everyone. Went from the dark dreary dead grass look of fall to 6" of fluffy white snow over night. Made for some interesting driving this morning. It's snowing again and looks like we might get another 4 to 6" of the white stuff.

Oh big news.* happy dance happy dance* My friend just down the road, put up a coveral system this past weekend. We have a place to ride this winter. Yee haa!! [big Grin] So today we spent the day there putting in posts and boards to protect the side walls. Now I can't wait to get using it. I even get to keep her horse trailer this winter, here at my place so that I can trailer down and ride Da Brute!! [big Grin] Is that cool or what? [big Grin] Good bye boring ol winter, hello riding!!

Hi everyone! Thought I would join in here, too, since trail riding is all I've ever done! Well, I rode in a parade once.

Here is a picture of Chief, my most trustworthy trail horse. He's the one I rode past the bears on the Trail Mishaps post.

-

He is ony 12 years old in this picture. He is 23 now. He pulled a shoulder muscle a few years ago, and had a chronic limp for a long time. So, I didn't ride him much after that.

Then I got Rosie, my QH mare, that I am training. All my time has been spent with her, so Chief kind of has been on semi-retirement! I should really ride him more and get him back into shape. He doesn't limp anymore, but is slow, fat and stiff!

quote:

Originally posted by shann1turner:

Trailmom, it has really amazed me the horses we've gone & looked at that were supposed to be kid-broke.
[Eek!]
I've decided that what they
really
mean is that their kids did the breaking, that's why the horse is so awful!

Shann - that cracks me up! I will have to remember that kid broke means the kids did it. I would not hesitate to buy a 14 y/o. That is still in their prime - for most horses!

Mudder - I am happy to hear that you will have a place to ride this winter. I feel so bad for our snowbound friends.

Update on the saddle situation:

I called Jeffers today. They were as nice and helpful as can be. They started off by telling me that the worse case scenario would be that I would have to pay a 20% restocking fee. I explained that it was unacceptable for me to $144 for the "use" of their saddle for a couple of weeks when I wasn't leaving a single mark on it. She told me that they do not usually expect to adhere to the 10 day policy.

I have ordered 2 more gullet plates and will return the one that doesn't work. It as cheap to buy 2 plates (he couldn't be off in fit by more than that) than it would be to buy the gauge and a gullet. This way I can return the unused plate and get my money back. If changing the plate doesn't work, then plates, saddle, and all get returned. ...so I feel better about the saddle.

Evening all,

I have been searching all day for a horse.I got one last lead for now up in Kansas to go see.

I understand what it is like to have a friend in the backyard that I can no longer ride,Rose.

I have some more mails sent out to a few more ppl but things are not looking to bright right now.And to think I have $3000 to spend.But I am looking for that special pal for life too.

Mudder,I am glad you guy`s are getting up that covered area.And to think you get that big ole brown trailer in your drive way. [big Grin]

Yup, Tuck! Chief will be with me as long as he lives, even if I don't ride him. There is no real reason he couldn't be ridden, though. Just have to take it slow and build him up.

I don't think he would ever get back to the hours and hours we used to ride, but short trail rides would be good for him, I think...just have to remember he has only one eye, now, too! Poor old guy!

I sure hope you find that special pal, Tuck. I also hope Rosie will be my next best trail horse! [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by goldpiper:

...I can't wait to get to know everyone, although I already feel like I know ZM after visiting her website.
[smile]

I can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing, LOL... do you think I'll have any nasties showing up to stalk me soon? [Razz][Razz][Razz] Seriously though, I'm glad you enjoyed the site. (Ummmmmmm have I "heard from you" yet? Sometimes people don't give me their screen names so I don't make the connection. [Frown] )

WR- the kids just saw Chief's pic & said to tell you he was their favorite Christmas card last year. LOL, thought you might get a kick out of that. [Wink]

[ 11-20-2003, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: shann1turner ]