Sign in to follow this  

Trail Chat

Sorry, since I new I'm allowed at least one really stupid question.

ThreestarsToulouse

ThreestarsCorc

What is the connections. I would guess SISTERS.

You are confusing me beyond belief.

Not fair.

Know both are from New Orleans. I hope one day I can make the trip, if I can EVER convince hubby.

Help, confused????

Good morning all [smileywavey]

I just thought I would jump in here and say "hello" to everyone. I wasn't going to start posting on this thread because I don't always get time to visit HC everyday. That's the reason I can't keep up with what's going on over in CCC!

I didn't go through and read all the posts of course, it would have taken forever.

HORSECRAZYTN... I did see the pictures of your horses, very pretty! I hope to see ya at the Shawnee ride next spring!

Okay, for those of you who don't know me... I'm a house wife and mother. I have 5 daughters, 3 still at home. Me, my husband and 2 of the girls spend most of our free time trail riding or just puting miles on the young horses. My 2 older daughters do ride some, but it's just not their thing really, my middle daughter doesn't ride anymore, she does like horses and has a mini colt that she's trying her best to train. My son-in-law likes riding and owns 2 horses. We have 7 horses right now and a foal on the way. We just sold 2 horses (Smokey & Sunkist) this weekend. We're going to miss them, but they did get really good homes.

I also own a Dog Breeding Kennel. I raise Mini Dachshunds and Chihuahuas. Hubby is a driller for a big oil company, he works steady (7 days a week) for 9 months out of the year. He then is usually layed off 3 months in the spring and that's when we really hit the trails.

our horses are... Niki, black & white Tobiano filly- 2 yrs old, started and riding the trails like an old pro (Hubby's horse)!

Buck, Buckskin BS paint gelding, 6 yrs old, I just started him last year as a 5 yr old. Riding very well, just has lots to learn (my horse)

Cowgirl...Dun Mare(looks buckskin) BS paint, 8 yrs old, in foal to a big tobiano, good trail horse. (daughter's horse)

Dolly...Palomino Mare, 6 yrs old, great little horse. (daughter's new horse)(we had to retire her horse last year)

Kota... Buckskin QH filly, 4 yrs old. My 13 yr old was riding her, but we are selling her to my cousin.

Nevada.... 6 1/2 month old buttermilk buckskin BS paint filly.

Buckwheat... 6 1/2 month old miniature buckskin colt. Very aunery! (daughter's project- he will be a cart horse someday!)

I think that's the gang!

Happy Trails everyone!

[ 11-26-2003, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: trailhoss2 ]

That is a heck of a brood you got there trailhoss2. About as big as mine [Wink] . Last work day of the week guys!! Hey, why don't we start posting like the top 5 or 10 things we are most thankful for this holiday season? In no particular order here are mine.

1.Wonderful husband and children

2.God and Jesus

3.My parents (adoptive and biological)

4.My job

5.ALL MY ANIMALS

6.My vet

7.Extended family

8.HC friends

9.My health

10.Barrel trainer

What are you most thankful for? [Razz]

TRAILHOSS,

I would LOVE to have a breeding kennel and stables someday. Tell me about how you got started with a kennel!

This is a really nice thread to post on, so welcome!

Serendal...My parents raised dogs when I was growing up. I was raised on a big farm, cattle, hogs, chickens, some sheep , horses and of course dogs! Mom raised Dachshunds, Dad raised bird dogs and coyote hounds (american Fox hounds)used around here to coyote hunt. Anyway, my love for animals and my love for Dachshunds just kinda grew into having a state licensed kennel [big Grin]

It was my daughter's love for the Chihuahua breed that got me started with those. They are hard to raise...at least the tiny ones are!

I'm also pretty fond of Collies and have raised a few litters of them in the past, but I only have 2 females now and one is 13 years old and the other, only a year old, I plan to have spayed. She's my trail riding buddy!

Mornin everyone. [smileywavey]

Just got in from work and wanted to take a minute to see what was happenin on here. It sure is hard to catch up if you miss a day. lol

My daughter and I are fixin to go ride for a while before the rain gets here. [Frown] Yesterday it was freezing, today the low was 50. It sure is hard getting in riding time on my 2 yr. old between the cold and rain. I'm aiming at riding her at least 4-5 days a week. I hope that is enough.

By the way, is anyone going shopping on Friday? I did last year, but I gotta work this year so I'm not going. The crowds are just awful here.

"Happy Thanksgiving" everyone.

[ 11-26-2003, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: MistyDun ]

oh almost forgot... What I'm Thankful For..

1.My faith in the Lord!

2.My Family!

3.My church family & my HC family!

4.My and my families good health!

5.My farm life & all my animals!

6.The roof over my head & the food on the table!

7.The good times and good trails shared with family and good friends!

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Trailhoss2 -> I can't wait till we all get to meet. Trigger is who I want to bring for me. He is definatly my boy, a little onery (sp?) but I know what he is thinking and he has always taken care of me on the trails.

Dottie from SD -->> Hello and welcome. I was born in Rapid City SD. My dad was raised there. I have lived in TN for 21 years now. Well except the one year that I lived in Wichita Falls TX. When hubby was in the Army. My cousin got offered a job running one of the stables in the Black Hills State Park. He was going to take it but then he fell in love and that was the end of that. Anyway WELCOME !!

I love this board. I really feel like I connect with you all. THANK YOU !!!

[ 11-26-2003, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: horsecrazytn ]

TRAIL MOM

Here's the skinny: (see also the ThreeStars thread)

ThreeStarsLoki- Liz, my sister (her horse, Loki- conditioning for endur.); baby on way

ThreeStarsCorc- good friend of mine (her horse, Corc)

ThreeStarsToulouse- me, Kristin (my horse, Toulouse)

Three Stars: collective, our future farm and horse rescue--we're trying out the name right now! [big Grin][big Grin]

Things I'm thankful for:

1. My children are healthy, Grown and have moved OUT!

2. My daughter, who is in the Navy, is stationed safely in Sicily and not in the worlds hotspots.

3. My brother, who is in the Marines, just returned home from Iraq and can spend the holidays with his children.

4. My boyfriend puts up with me, my horses, dog and my other wierd ideas and just smiles and nods.

5. My God has provided me with good health and the ability to provide for myself comfortably.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Guess I'll try this out on you all here.

Ratts helped my figure out how to post pics.

Heres a before (about 3 months after I got Dakota) and and after (This past weekend) Had to put some meat on his old bones.

-

-

What do you think?

Trailmom,

It's amazing what love, food and exercise can to for a horse, isn't it?

He looks great!!

Hi Trailmom!

Here's what I think... I think your horse is very pretty! But either he is really big or you are really small to be able to fit in that little saddle! [big Grin] I ride a big stocky horse with a big saddle for a stocky (overweight) lady! [big Grin][smileywavey]

Howdeee Trailmom - Dakota looks really good [big Grin] . I agree with Trailhoss, you must be little or Dakota is big. Or maybe my eyes are just messed up for staying on this board for so long *blink-blink*. In any case, your horse looks good. TLC does wonders [Wink] .

He's really close to 17h

He's a QH/Draft. I need a 2 foot step ladder to get my foot in the stirrup.

I'm 5'6. So guess I can't really be considered short, anyway. [big Grin]

[ 11-26-2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Trailmom ]

WoW!!! 17 hands!! [Eek!] I can barely get on my horse and he is 15.2 [big Grin]

Does he stretch out for you to climb on? I had a 17 H gelding when I was about 14 years old that would stretch out. That's called something besides stretching out, but I can't remember what it is [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by trailhoss2:

WoW!!! 17 hands!!
[Eek!]
I can barely get on my horse and he is 15.2
[big Grin]

Does he stretch out for you to climb on? I had a 17 H gelding when I was about 14 years old that would stretch out. That's called something besides stretching out, but I can't remember what it is
[big Grin]

I think it is called "park" or at least thats what the old man called it when he was training me to ride his Walkers. TWH that is.

Also Trailmom Dakota is very pretty TLC & some groceries go a long way don't they. [smileywavey]

Trailmom: Wow! He looks like a totally different horse. It makes my heart hurt when people let their horses get in that shape. He sure looks like a great horse now. Have you had him long?

I got him this past February. So, guess that makes nine months.

And believe me, it took a lot of groceries. He eats a lot on an average day. Still think he needs a little more weight though.

I figure the guy I bought him from couldn't afford to feed him. [Frown]

WOW!!! Everyone has such beautiful horses! I have no clue how to post pictures, I just recently tried to email pics, didn't go over so well. [Roll Eyes]

I'm trying to catch up, but with all the pages and pics, it's kinda hard!

I hope to go out riding this weekend. A friend of mine, who has TONS of experience, is going to come out and ride Daisy for me. So, I hope maybe Emily can get "the bugs worked out of her" so maybe I can start trail riding her again soon. Even though she is such a witch a times, she is still the best trail horse I've ever been on. Heck I was trail riding her by herself when she was just 3 years old and I had only had her for 2 months! She is the first horse I've ever trained for trails as well, so I really can't wait to get her back into shape.

Hope you all have a wonderful holiday and get some riding in!

Welcome to all the newbies, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it here with the HC family.

Hay flequus isn’t it a shame how cold it’s supposed to be? And I’m going camping in my new trailer, [Eek!] I’ve got AC, I better buy a cheap little heater before I go.

Corc, it did make me laugh, I hope it was worth it. [Wink]

Most of you have probably seen my horse already, but I'll post a picture for the newbies. He's a paso fino gelding, and my heart and soul, my partner.

I really have two horses in one, this is how he looks during summer...

-

And here he is in his new winter coat. It's already sunbleached and his dapples doesn't really show anymore and he's a bit lighter over all too.

-

I was out camping with a friend in her motorhome (and horses of course) yesterday till today, we had a great time. Tomorrow I'm going out camping with my new trailer and I'm probably staying out till Sunday. If it doesn't get too cold [Wink]

HTTY

Hey all [smileywavey] Just came from the barn. So where is everyone going for thanksgiving? I'm going to my Nana's house. Just wondering.

Hast, Walmart sells some microfiber long underwear for less than 1/3 the price that you buy it in the horse catalogs. I tried mine out one night last week. Makes great riding! You keep yourself warm girl!

We had a fairly decent ride today. Hunting season ended in the state forest on Sunday. I mistakenly thought that meant everywhere in the state. I couldn't ride very far this afternoon. Man was there a lot of gunfire going on. We had to stick to the dirt roads and a small patch of woods that is privately owned by my vet. I couldn't even go ride the ditch! Man hunters frustrate me. So I decided to get even...

I kept yelling "run Bambi, the hunters are in the meadow!" I don't think I was very popular! [big Grin]

When we have those days with my gelding where he is being very moody, I know it the second I lay eyes on him that day. Today was such a day. We ended up in the roundpen for bridling. I said head down, he touches his nose to the concrete. I say head up and he turns to face the opposite direction. I say give me your head and he clinches his teeth shut. Now, of course I can get his mouth open - not the point. He knows how to open his teeth for the bit and nothing less is acceptable. After being sent to the rail to work 5 times, he decided that it was much easier to open his mouth than work in the pen. He came out bridled, humbled, and attitude adjusted.

The ride went really smooth. I had a friend stop in her car to talk to me along the side of the dirt road. I was able to unhook one of my reins and let him graze while we gabbed. When we finished, he lifted his head right up and we rode the 1/4 mile back to the barn with one rein!

After the ride, I decided to give him a serious grooming job. He is very mischevious about the clippers. You have to watch him every second or he will get the electric cord in his mouth. I guess he was getting tired of me working his bridle path. Before I could even give him the loud "hey", he grabbed the cord in his mouth, yanked the plug out of the socket, and dropped the cord again like he didn't know who made the clippers stop! The little devil. At least he didn't leave any teeth marks in the cord.

The new saddle is working out wonderfully! I have discovered my seat problems that I have been trying to work out in the dutiful way of an ex-equitation rider were all caused by my old saddle. It makes me feel just a little better about myself! I couldn't believe how much the cosmetics of my riding had deteriorated. Turns out it didn't. Yay!

We had Thanksgiving on Saturday, so I will be going riding tomorrow! A much better day than cooking in my opinion. [Wink]

I have to say that everyone has some very beautiful horses

Ever seen a Persian with a mustach?! The guy we're getting our round bales off of has one. It's so cute!

flequus That's too funny!

Plans are this weekend to ride around here. All of our neighbors have given us permission to ride in their feilds. And I still may do just that....if it ever stops raining.

For the past couple of weeks, the weather guy has said 'rain in the morning....', then it rains for 2 days.

Thanksgiving will be at Mom & Dad's. Then on Friday, I'm cooking dinner for hubby's side.

As soon as it gets light out, we're heading out to go pick up more round bales.

Have a Great Thanksgiving All.

Hello everyone! Thank you for your greetings. I sure envy the gal going camping. We had to tuck our LQ trailer away for the winter. We have an older stock trailer available if we need to make any emergency vet runs (Hopefully NOT).

I am going to try the photo thing. First I have Ruthie, my mule. I have always wanted a mule and we sold two horses last spring, so had room and some money to make the purchase. I Love Her! She takes care of me on the trail and goes anywhere. I do not think she has done one thing wrong since we got her. She comes to you in the pasture and is the first one in for supper!

Next here is Tristian, he began as my horse but now my hubby has stolen him. He is a character and reminds me of that "Elmer" figure we see in all the horsie catalogs. He is excellent also and Ruthie and Trist took us to the ND Badlands by Medora in Sept. They were super.

Here are our boys! We have a variety of dogs. One we got as a puppy (St. Bernard), the other three are adopted. They get along so well and are quite the group. The springer and saint live in the barn (luxury room) and the two bassets are house dwellers as their hair is too short to keep them warm in SD winters. The saint is my husbands baby and talk about spoiled. The darker Basset is a rescue from MO and is just a delight. Super smart dog.

That is about it for now. I have to make some salads to take to my brothers for Thanksgiving. Wish I could be riding, but sounds like temps are going to be warming up for the weekend. Just wish hunting season was over.

Have a Great Day! [smileywavey]