Sign in to follow this  

Trail Chat

HorseBeauti Can I please Please PLEASE have one of your beers? [big Grin]

Just got back from 6 hours at the auction. Man am I tired. That place was packed. Went with ma & pa in-laws. Total bill $1060. [Eek!] Thank God my part is only $85. We saw some awesome stuff. Then we laughed about people buying stuff that they could buy at Wally world 3x's cheaper [big Grin] Got great deals on boots 50 to 75% off. What fun it was. We didn't stay for the horses. I would have wanted one and I don't have room for anymore.

Good to hear everyone had a great turkey day! I swear I am still full [big Grin] I still could use one of those beers though [Wink]

Well, it looks like I will be getting another horse. My good friend is in a difficult situation with her mare because of military lifestyle. They will be at their current station for 2 more years and it is not conducive to horses. I will be leasing the mare until she is ready to take her back. We didn't get a chance to discuss when the lease would start. My phone battery went dead in the middle of the conversation. We will pick back up on it tomorrow.

She's a very nice little mare. No moodiness whatsoever. She's a 10yo pinto/arab. Power steering and brakes. Mazerati engine. 0-30 in 1/4 second flat! [Wink][big Grin]

At least my boys will be able to ride this one. They can't ride my gelding because if you bounce on his back twice, he is bucking you off. One bounce - he will give you the benefit of the doubt - so you made a mistake. Two bounces, he assumes you can't ride and invites you to leave. Huaah.

This will be fun for my gelding because it is the mare that he lived with after he was rescued. I can tell that he misses her because he is always checking the spotted mares - Are you my long lost buddy?

I'll keep you posted on how it goes. I am psyching myself up already to not get too attached to her. I do not want to get attached and then have to give her back. I have to look at her as a business deal.

Well, I guess I could post a picture for you guys!

With my youngest son:

-

My grandson apparently didn't like the way she smelled:

-

quote:

Originally posted by charmergirl:

Flequus she is soooo pretty! Have fun with her while she is yours.

Thanks! I think she is a really nice looking mare. It is just the mare thing that I will have to get used to. I have upon a few occasions ridden a mare as a lesson horse, but I have always been a gelding person. But like I stated before, I've known her for a while and have never even noticed when she was in heat. She has had some mastitis problems over the last year that the vet thinks is caused by plant estrogens in her pasture. Another good reason to move her back to Florida and more familiar surroundings.

BTW, this mare is also a rescue. She was rescued from physical abuse. She was being beaten by a man and the SPCA stepped in and confiscated her. My friend got her when she was brought to the farm where she worked for "rehab". She had been in the pasture for about 4 months when the owner of the farm said, "If you can catch her, you can have her!" She caught the mare and end of story - owns her.

My friend has brought her a long way. She was head shy and afraid of men - and of course difficult to catch. She now meets you at the gate and has gotten over many of her fears after being treated with love and kindness.

Wow very pretty horse and what a handsome son and grand child you got Flequus. [big Grin] How do you plan on keepin the girls away from that sweetie son of yours? [big Grin] Gonna have your hands full girl.

Is this the horse you are gonna lease? I wasn't quite sure if it was or not.

Sounds like a happy ending (or beginning?) for this pretty girls life.

If you can't tell when she is in heat and you have known her for a while, YIPPEE for you! MY mare announces it to the world when she is in heat. I love her anyway though [big Grin] .

Nothing like typing a long reply and having your computer eat it!

Yes Mudder, that is the mare I will be leasing. She is also a rescue horse that was beaten and the confiscated by the authorities. My friend got her from the farm where she worked. The mare was being "rehabbed" there. After she was in the pasture for 4 months, the owner of the farm said "if you can catch her, you can have her". The rest is history.

This mare has come a long way from being fearful of men, headshy, and hard to catch. My friend has done a wonderful job with her. It is amazing what love and understanding can do. More power to the rescue horses! She probably will not be ready to send her down until she gets her tax return. It is a little pricey to send a horse from NJ to Florida. I know because I bought my gelding from this same friend and shipped him down early spring. 20 - 24 hours on a trailer!

Yes, I do have to worry about the opposite sex with all of my kids. Fortunately, they are all very grounded and don't seem to realize that they have exceptional looks! The girls just love it because my sons have a sense of humor and hang out like friends - unaware that they are gorgeous. My daughter is the oldest. She is the one that is married and has my second grandchild on the way. That is an older picture. Her baby is almost 2 now.

We had a funny incident this week. My middle son placed a picture of himself from AFJROTC military banquet on his blog page. This is something that is usually only seen by their close friends. His page suddenly had over 50 hits on it in a few hours time. Girls that he had never heard of were putting comments on his tag board. The repeat was: You look like Tom Cruise! He changed the picture that night to something that he said "looked more like himself". What a nut!

Mornin' all [smile]

Just came in from stoking up the fire in the dog kennel. Boy, is it cold this morning!!! It got down to 22 degrees last night [Eek!] It's 25 out there right now but supposed to be warming up to the mid 40's today. I sure hope so 'cause we're riding today. I was happy the mare didn't have that foal last night, but I wish it would get here before everynight is that cold.

Why do people breed there mares for winter foals?? For those of you who don't know, we bought her and found out 3 months later she was in foal. Called the previous owner and he said yep, she was in with his stud all winter last year. Now I wonder how anyone can sell a horse and forget to tell the buyer that one little detail [Confused]

Flequus.... That's an awful pretty mare. That's nice of you to take her while your friend is away.

Happy Trails!

[ 11-29-2003, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: trailhoss2 ]

Morning everyone. [smileywavey]

Wow Flequus, your friend did awesome with this mare. She looks gorgeous. Sounds like your son has quite the personality. All the girls falling all over him. [big Grin] Quite the drawing card he is.

I'm tired of the cold, I want spring already. It's 8 above right now and dropping. [Frown] The wind is something else too. Was suppose to be really nice this weekend but man the weather dude has no clue what he's talkin about. Oh well, I'm hopin the door for the coverall comes this week, then I'll be happy.

Have a great day everyone. Be safe.

First off, I can't remember exactly who was wanting the warmer temps, but just give it up. We have come to the conclusion that there is no longer such a thing as warm air. Nope...all gone. [big Grin]

Flequus- very pretty horse and some handsome children. And hey, at least your horse let's you have that one bounce before he bucks. Some horses don't believe in the warning system! [Wink]

Charmergirl-I have no beer left but I can make a killer White Russian! Had those last night. I would be scared to go to anymore auctions. Every time my husband and I have gone we come home with something that eats. [Roll Eyes]

Good morning Trailhoss2. Uh......oh dear.....OMG I am only in my twenties and I am suffering from a senior moment. There was something I was going to ask you [Confused] and now I can't remember! Think....think.....think....*sizzle*. I just fried a brain cell.

That's it, I've had it. Anyone else want to move with me? I'll go anywhere that it doesn't go below 40 degrees!

It's about 32 degrees, with wind gusts up to about 50mph. It feels like it's about 15 out there. I hate winter! Last night at work really sucked- the doors kept blowing open and the cows would balk at the milking parlor doors and not come in. So I had to walk up the steps (okay, so only 5 steps, but still hard on the knees!) about 37 times and chase them in the doors. I really need a new job!

It doesn't look like I'll get any riding in for about two weeks now. Tomorrow is supposed to be just like today then deer season starts Monday. That will last for two weeks. Oh well. Good thing we didn't start Daisy's training yet! [smile]

I hope ya'll have nicer weather than we are and get some riding in!

Beautiful horses, everybuddie! I hope my rescue mare turns out as great as that one!

HTTY

dun dun dun...............brrrrrrrrrrrrr

Well, we're suposed to be getting our second night of freezing here in ol' Hot & Humid La.

Horses are on super fluff mode, and aint no amount of grooming with a curry and brush will get em clean! Sheesh. Me and TSLoki took our boys down River Road for oh, 4 mi down and back, plus 1 mi or so detour through a neighborhood. Mostly walking, some jogging, just cause we dont like to move em too fast on the paved roads. Took to the shoulders were it was wide enough. We did trot the last 1/4 mi though, boys were ready to head back since they knew it was eating time and the sun was gonna set soon (darn winter daylight hours [Mad] )

We stopped long enough to let em grab some water, stretch our knees out (mine where killing! I may put myself on MSM) then did a mile or so trotting around the pastures...boring.

I did make sure to end my taking Toulouse through the ditch again, which he again crossed willingly!!! yay!!

Haha, almost forgot, while riding down the shoulder of the road, we would end up on the "yard" side of the ditches, which some were 2 feet deep and narrow. At one point, Loki crossed one ditch to get back on the road itself, mis-guessed the depth on the ditch and ended up tripping himself up. Luckily he (and my sister-- who of course stayed on) landed on his knees in pine straw and not the pavement. Nothing got scratched or busted, so my sister laughed at him cause he's goofy like that.

Toulouse ended up jumping deep ditches like that twice! Right after we saw Loki tumble, I help Toulouse back, felt his hindend gather under him, then released and pop, over we go. Next time, we'll let T jump first, and see if Loki realized there's easier ways to cross things! [big Grin]

ah well, no one else is around right now. And as much as i'd like to sit on HC all night, my best bud from the Navy is on a few days leave, and well, I'm on my third night of drinking!!

Hasta luego amigos, y felize teimpos buenos!

[big Grin][big Grin][big Grin][big Grin][big Grin]

Hi everyone!

We went and rode for awhile today. Bbbbuuurrrrr... 37 degrees and wind blowing. I was cold! I should have wore more clothes.

horsebeauti...LOL! You're too young to be having senior moments [big Grin]

[smileywavey]

Hey all!!! I just came back from the barn and I need a lil help from ya'll. When I went to give Southern his hay he pinned his ears at me and when my mom went to pick his feet he acted like he was gonna kick her. Has has NEVER done/acted like this before. Any ideas why? and how to stop this?

Was out camping and riding different parts of Ocala forest (HUGE -about 450 square miles) during the weekend. You "Floridians" have you ridden in Shangrila or Utopia? It's absolutely awesome! Utopia is very hilly (we're measuring with Florida measurements here, it's somewhat hilly. Period. [Wink] ) but missing the rocks from the mountains.

We were a big group going, and fortunately for me there were a couple of teens there too. I tried to "be adult" and ride with the adults... they were all walking [Eek!] Then there were one on a TWH who gaited some. A clear improvement [Wink] But the teens, they liked to gallop and charge through the forest [big Grin] We had a blast! [big Grin]

I had planned on staying till tomorrow, but blew a fuse in my truck so I didn't have any break lights or turnsignals on the truck or trailer. Since the others decided it was too cold to stay out one more night (sissies [Wink] ) I opted to go home too, while I had someone who knew I didn't have the lights behind me. It was a great place to ride and I'll defenitely go back again now when I have a trailer and know where to go [big Grin]

HTTY

Hi, all!! Missed so much while I was gone. Hubby doesn't like me to chat. Thinks the internet is full of predators. Can't seem to convince him otherwise. Sorry nothin personal. Just a hill for me to climb.

Just wanted you all to know: Pap is doing great. Came through surgery great. [angel][angel]

Trailmom - WONDERFUL news about your Pap!!!! Oh, and my hubby was the same way for a while. Then he saw all the support from my HC family when I lost my Mom & then he got to meet one of my board friends, actually bought her horse...needless to say he changed his mind about it. [Wink]

Hollowfarm – I hate to tell you this, but it’s going down to 34° here in Florida.

Hast – Glad you had a good ride. You should try Suwannee. It’s great for the hot weather because the large majority of the trail is in the shade. It also has rolling hills.

Trailmom – that is great news about your Pap. We will continue to pray for you family.

Well, I went riding in the cold tonight. I had a lot of errands to run today and didn’t get out to the ranch until 5:30. I had the whole place to myself. Florida people can’t take the cold! I made sure that I had on my long johns because the temps were dipping so low and we had the wind to boot.

We do have 3 lighted arenas to work in, so at least the riding wasn’t lost. My gelding was a little nervous tonight. He was perfectly comfy in the cold, but I think it just kicked up his Arab genes. We just worked on some WTC and did some turns on the forehand. I can’t find my riding gloves and still had to do a good job of grooming when I finished riding, so I decided that I better get off and clean him up while I could still bend my fingers. He didn’t even break a sweat in the cold. I did work up a minor sweat. I guess I had on too many layers for active riding.

I cleaned him up really well and gave him a mini-massage. He loves to have his poll massaged. He was very relaxed after that. Not only does it feel really good to relieve tension, but from what I understand, that area releases endorphins. After the clean up, I put him to bed. He was so fluffy today! I was surprised that I was able to get him so clean.

I bought him a new brush today. It is one of the goat hair with horse hair in the middle brushes made by tail tamer. Oooooooo, it is so soft! It was hard to tell if it really worked to smooth things down because as fast as I was brushing, he was poofing his fur back out to stay warm! Well, I sure liked the brush even if he doesn’t.

Hope to ride again tomorrow. It will be another bundle up day, but I would rather bundle than sweat. Hope you guys all have a great trail day tomorrow!

Shann, hope mine comes around. He got my laptop and deleted all my passwords. Took me forever to get loggen back on. Knows more that he lets on. Disconnected phone line too. Didn't know this upsets him as much as it seems to. Guess I can only chat from work M-F. I love him and dont want to rock the boat. Im sure Im not alone in this. Any sugesstions will be appreciated. Only hope is the stress from his dad surgery. [Frown]

Mornin' all [smileywavey]

Well, I'm getting ready to go to church. Looks like it might be a little warmer out there today.

After church I'm going to look at a paint filly. She's coming a 2 yr old. Bay & white APHA tobiano. I don't really need anymore horses, this one caught my attention though and my aunt does need a horse so I'm gonna go look at this one.

Trailmom...I'm glad your father-in-law is feeling better [smile]

Well, Have a Blessed Sunday everyone! [smile]

Morning All

It's been busy around here the last few days with Thanksgiving and all.

Had an interesting day yesterday. We finally moved Piper down the road (luckily its only about 1 1/2 miles)to where the cattle are, so she's no longer out the back door. [me cry] But eventually when we start the house she'll be out the back door once more. The interesting part was that we had to walk, she did not want to go into the trailer so after about an hour working her to go into the trailer I gave up and we took a walk it was much easier. I guess that's something we will have to work on in the spring.

Hope everyones had a good holiday and weekend. [smileywavey]

Morning everyone. [smileywavey]

Good news for you pap Trailmom. I'm so happy he's done well. Seems to me we had this same kind of problem come up before with another member's hubby. Might wanna show him this thread and let him read for himself. Let him see that we aren't a bunch of predators after you. We're just a big group who care very much about each other and how we are all doing in our lives. We're like a big huge family who look out for each other. We may never meet in person but it doesn't mean we can't form some great friendships. Many of us have met some board buddies from HC and have formed some very close relationships as a result. I mean look at all the members who went to Oz's for the fence building and all met for the first time. Well most of them anyway. We worry about each others family and we worry when someone is gone for a while, we care a lot about each other here and it shows in many ways. Thru prayer posts, xmas card exchange, and members just posting and asking if things are ok and can we help in any way. We're a good group of caring and sharing ppl is all. Oh and we're all horse crazy to boot, but that's what got us all together in the first place. [big Grin] Fact of the matter is I spend almost all my puter time here or just surfing looking at horses and dreamin of horsie things I'll never get. [Frown] I understand he wants to keep you safe and you really have to love a guy for that, but we don't want you to leave either. Man I just got a new friend. [big Grin]

Ah darn I can't remember who posted about the horse trying to kick, but if this is something out of the blue could he have fallen or slipped and is a bit sore maybe? Maybe was playing around running and so on and slipped a bit. Any new horses around him or anything like that? Maybe he's feeling a bit protective because of it. That's about all I can think of right now. Make sure you give him a light smack so he knows that kicking is unacceptable. Don't let him kick mom for sure.Maybe he's a bit grouchy, any change in what you are feeding?

Ok well I've blabbed enough for one post. Have a great day everyone and stay safe out there. [big Grin]

Hi

Well, I went and looked at the paint filly and yep, I bought her. I was actually looking at her for my aunt and we liked her so we brought her home. She'll be 2 years old in April.

Have a good night everyone!

trailmom.. well, your hubby has a point, the internet is full of predators. And, you know, there probably are some on HC. But he should trust that you have enough sense to stay away from those... that you can only be good prey if you're doing really silly things, and that as long as you aren't posting things like "tommorrow, I will be at the walmart on highway 5 in Somewheresville, KY at 3:45 pm with 900 dollars cash so that I can buy those 10 TV's I've been talking about getting" that you'll be fine. There are plenty of websites out there that tell you what to do to be safe. Maybe if you sit down with him and convince him that you understand that stuff he'll calm down about it.

trailhoss- yay!!!!!!

We had a great ride today. I took Corc around the farm on his own while TST and TSL were waiting for their parents to bring out a new battery for TST's truck (it died on Thanksgiving.. they were thankful that I hadn't left yet when it wouldnt start [big Grin] )

errrr... anyway, I was taking him through the big water ditch. He was good going across it one way.. but turned around it was a much bigger deal. First time, he stepped in and bunny hopped out. Second time, he caught me by surprise by leaping the whole thing.. yeah.. its like 5 feet across there. From a standstill. And I dared to doubt that he could grow up to be a jumper.. [big Grin]

I was left horribly behind, but my baby didn't seem to care that I was all floppy and fallin heavy on his back.

heh, and then we all went on a long ride.. I would say 5 miles, but we didn't stick quite to the measured distances, so it was probably more like 4. We tried going on the power lines, found some potential good spots to ride.. met another nice person while we were out (thats so nice!) and he told us that the power lines beyond where he lived were not a place for humans or anything to go this time of year. That they'd had a dog shot... but that it would be a nice place for us in the summer. All in all, it was a very nice day... [big Grin]

Goldpiper – I know that you will be missing your baby. That is the reason that my friend is leasing her mare out to me. She misses having her out the back door.

Mudder – You are always so encouraging. We are all glad to have you as a friend also.

Trailhoss – congrats on the new filly. We need some pictures!

3 stars – sorry that you didn’t get to ride on your power lines. Sounds like you had an identical problem to mine this week. Those hunters in the meadow!

We were going to trek back into the state forest today. General gun season was over in the forest a week ago today. Well, someone forgot to unlock the gate!! I am calling the forestry office in the morning to ask them what gives. After riding down to the entrance, we didn’t even get in. I was a little steamed. Whatever [Roll Eyes]

After not getting into the forest, we took a short ride through some of the only woods for miles where there is no hunting allowed. Due to incoming hunger pains, we headed back to the barn. For some reason, I had no snacks in my saddle pack today. I must have forgotten to replace them after the last snack attack.

I have an early morning meeting tomorrow, so hopefully I will be able to ride tomorrow afternoon. I normally work from home, but once I show up at my office, they tend to keep me there for hours with questions. They are self-sufficient when you leave them alone. I just don’t get it. I hope you guys have a great Monday. Only 5 more days til the weekend!

Well I'm gonna say goodnight and good morning. I'm off to bed. [smileywavey]

Trailhoss looks like your trailride is going good. I just know Charmergirl is gonna get it real quick, and smack herself for thinkin it was so hard. [Wink][big Grin]

Today I helped hubby get a load of wood. I stayed well away from him and his power saw, so he wouldn't be droppin anymore trees on my head. He did good I got no killin stories to tell. [big Grin] When we got home he and sonny boy unloaded the wood and I went to the barn to play with my hoss. He has the idea now that he doesn't want to be caught. Tee hee, jokes on him tho. Mom don't let you catch her, then you stay outside to freeze your hinny off. [big Grin] Only took a couple nights of stayin out for him to realize catchin mom is pretty good. [big Grin] The ol hag means business when she says fine then stay out, your decision. [Razz] Last few days as soon as he sees me, he's a hollerin for me. Most talkin I've ever heard him do in the 4 yrs I've owned him.

Ok enough blabbin and off to bed. Gotta be wide awake to drive that school bus as my auto pilot is on the fritz. [big Grin]

Night all! Dream of all the pretty horses.

Mornin' all [smileywavey]

Flequus.... The filly is down at the neighbors. Our (Gary) neighbor's mare died from colic this spring and Me and his daughter bought him a weanling filly. That filly won't be ready to start for quite awhile. Gary was riding whoever's horse that had an extra . So, we bought this coming 2 yr old for my aunt who is too busy to be starting a horse right now, she's having a new house built and trying to sell the other one, working full time and so on. So, Gary (our neighbor) is going to start this filly for her and ride her for for about a year. That way he has a horse to ride, and my aunt has a well started horse when she's ready to hit the trails again. None of us had time, we are riding young ones ourselves. This is gonna work well, because Gary will have a horse to ride until his baby is ready to start [Wink]

I'll try to go down there this eveening and take pictures of her. She's a dark bay & white APHA paint. Her Sire is a big APHA black Tobiano and the mare is a TB. The filly is very stocky and big, like a quarter horse build, but she definately has the TB head.

Mudder... I seen the trailride is quite a turnout [smile] You bringing them there famous men and all might get some of us in trouble with our own cowboys though [big Grin] I guess as long as Shann & Kas keep 'em to theirselves we'll be okay [big Grin]

Well, I gotta get chorse done.

Happy Trails everyone [smileywavey]

OMG.....me and my boyfriend just got the best deals on horse tack this weekend....."Ricks Ranchwear" went out of bussiness a few months ago and so this weekend they were selling outa their warehouse with a few other horse companys and everything was so so very cheap! My boyfriend got a black 16inch saddle with lots of silver on it(and a gel padded seat for his un-broke hinny) the original price was like close to 2000 and with all the discounts and everything it was a whole $250!!! and a matching saddle pad breastcollar and bridle cost an extra $50!!!! and his books were ariet something or other and they were originally $135 for $50........i got a nice 15 1/2 inch western saddle for only $150 (original 1500) and matching breats collar for $10......and ariet boots for 50 (original $169) i was so excited i dont think i've ever had that much fun shopping(specially the day after thanksgiving)

Mornin all [smileywavey]

I have a question for all of you. I have a filly I've been riding for the past month(she'll be 3yrs in March). I usually ride her 5 or 6 days a week. We ride 20 - 45 min. a day. I was wondering how much weight would be too much for her to carry? I'm short and fat (there I said it! [Razz] ). She doesn't seem to mind, her back hasn't been sore and I don't use her hard. We mostly walk, trot a little, but mainly I work her on her reining, stoping, backing etc.

I weigh about 210 lbs. Reo is 14.2, weighs little over 1000 lbs. I'll inclose a pic of her taken this summer. It's not that good, but it's the only one I have online.

I just don't want to hurt her, but I'm the only one who can ride her. My daughter doesn't have enough experience to ride her and my husband doesn't get home early enough.

-

When I picked her up at the trainers, I asked her about it. She didn't think there would be a problem. I just wondered what ya'll think.