lilredfilly

Outback Saddle Co. for aussie saddles?

All I know about Australian-made saddles is that they are usually too narrow for most American bred horses.

In different parts of the country, horses have different builds to be able to handle the weather. I believe horses in warmer climates will be a little leaner, and possibly even a little more narrow in the shoulder and possibly the back.

I feel like I am talking like a third grader, but it's the only way I can explain it without sounding like a goofball!

Good luck! [smile]

I have an aussie saddle made by Outback Saddlery. I actually bought it off ebay, but it was being distributed by Frontier Equestrian.

I was told it was a sort of mediocre quality, but I don't have anything but good things to report. Since I do a lot of distance riding, I've altered it a little bit to suite my personal styles, which is to say I replaced the western style fenders with english stirrups. The one thing I would change is the way the back of it fits on the horse's back. It's more like stuffed padding rather then a fitted skirt. Other then that, I have to say I really like it. I love the polys (mouse ear looking things). As far as the tree size, being half-Arab, Loki is narrow. I've never used this saddle on a wider horse though so I'm not sure how it would fit.

Thanks for the input. I had one before that I loved, but I don't remember what brand it was. Now I want to buy a new one, but I'm afraid of buying a cheep piece of garbage from India or something.

Re Outback Saddlery: the saddles are actually manufactured in Brazil. They are 'budget' saddles, but I wouldn't describe them as mediocre!! They certainly aren't 'top of the range' - but you wouldn't really expect that for the price they are! A good introduction to Aussie saddles; if you fall in love with the style you can upgrade to a different saddle later if you want! I sell Outback saddles (among others) here in the UK on eBay, and, for the price they are, they're not a bad saddle.

There is an outback saddle co in Colorado USA that makes great saddles and will custom fit them. I would only buy from there and alwasy will.

It is true assies tend to be a little more narrow than say a western but you can changed the wool stuffing to mold better and also have the tree bent. Gotta love those assies!

Stay away from the assies w/the blue undercoat, the true wool ones are the orange colored stuff, if I am not mistaken.

Good luck! I bought my assie on ebay for $82 best buy I ever made! [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by PASOLOVER:

There is an outback saddle co in Colorado USA that makes great saddles and will custom fit them. I would only buy from there and alwasy will.

It is true assies tend to be a little more narrow than say a western but you can changed the wool stuffing to mold better and also have the tree bent.
Gotta love those assies
!

Stay away from the assies w/the blue undercoat, the true wool ones are the orange colored stuff, if I am not mistaken.

Good luck!
I bought my assie on ebay for $82
best buy I ever made!
[big Grin]

LOL!!!! ROFL!!! I dang near spewed my coffee out my nose on that one!! I'm ASSuming you meant aUssie? If not........where'bouts on eBay are you shopping????

Jer

quote:

Originally posted by TexJer:

quote:

Originally posted by PASOLOVER:

It is true assies tend to be a little more narrow than say a western but you can changed the wool stuffing to mold better and also have the tree bent.
Gotta love those assies
!

Good luck!
I bought my assie on ebay for $82
best buy I ever made!
[big Grin]

LOL!!!! ROFL!!! I dang near spewed my coffee out my nose on that one!! I'm ASSuming you meant aUssie? If not........where'bouts on eBay are you shopping????

Jer

I didn't even see the misspelling. I started laughing after I read your post. [ROTFL]

I bought my saddle directly from the austrailian outback company which is the original-i love it i think it is the jackaroo-i paid over 700.00 for it several yrs ago. as far the the stuffing goes, the bottom of my saddle is blue and it is stuffed with wool. i had to send a wither tracing to them and they fitted the saddle to the tracing that i sent for my 1350lbs qtr. horse, it fits him just fine and he is a wide boy. i feel very secure in it and balanced much more than your traditional western saddle. i had always ridden english or saddle seat and just coulnd't get used to a western saddle-my aussie has a horn but looks almost like a dressage saddle. best investment i have made.

I had to wait until I was done laughing to post this [smile] . I have an Australian (notice I spelled that out) endurance saddle that fits my Arab mare and is very comfortable to ride in. My only problem is that this saddle has long English type billets that are just a fraction too wide to fit the buckles on a dressage girth. Anyone else ever had this problem?

I have talked with them and also the ones in CA, I can't remember their name now sorry.

The one in CA told me for short backed animals, that you will need the padded back instead of the fleece.

I think Outback is good quality for the money. I definately wouldn't hesistate to buy from them.

Vickie

I bought a saddle from Outback on e-bay. I ended up not using it and used it on part trade for my newest horse. However, it was a great saddle and it fit my horse well. It had a pretty deep seat on it and was very comfy! Make sure you understand Australian sizing before you order. I would not have hesitated to use it and would have liked to have kept it for my daughter to use but it gave us a nice discount for the horse and we didn't pay much for it on e-bay. (I think $150) I did buy an Australian endurance saddle and I love it! I had to buy an Australian cinch to go with it because my dressage cinch would not work either. I really love it. For me it is like English but with a deeper seat like a western saddle.

Tiffany

The company in Colorado is Down Under Saddle Supply. I bought my latest Aussie from them. It was one of the mid-priced Kimberly poleys (I bought it off their clearance page for a considerable discount because it had some discoloration on the seat) and they custom fitted it to a wither tracing of my TWH. Fits him like a glove, and after I oiled it the first time you couldn't tell where it was discolored anymore. It has held up through 4 years of hard riding and not-so-great upkeep. When I buy another, I will definitely go back to them.

I am unsure why people think they are only for horses who are narrower. I have a Aussie from this company that fit all three for my horses: from my draft to my high withered paint. Love the saddle, am considering selling it, but I got it for $150 and am just not sure I will come across another one at such a good price again.

Edited by SevenOaks

I bought a Crossover aussie/ is western and aussie style and I love it and I too replaced the western stirrups for english ones,,,I owned a regular aussie for several years and loved it but changed over to the crossover because it has a horn on it since I am older now and need the horn for my own security ...

I have a quarter pony and it fits her just fine, has a rounded skirt and regular sheep skin lining ...I use a this pad under it but you can use a thicker pad..