Sign in to follow this  
NC trails W/ Sundance

first trail ride by myself

Thanks Wooley, maybe I can get used to it also. (Hate hats, helmets, etc.!!) The helmet I have is a LITTLE bit big -- I understand they're supposed to fit pretty snug. Being not a helmet wearer, I'm assuming that a "little-bit-big" helmet would be better than none at all? Years ago, when God was a boy, I skydived a lot, and there was something about a helmet having to fit really tight. Any advice about that?

That is my favorite Thing in the world to do, I love riding by myself.

you see, i am a writer (short stories and novels) and when i get stuck on a story, i just saddle up, put pen and paper in my saddle bags and take off, and it always helps.

The Hushed serenity of the woods and the horse's steady pace and breathing really takes away the worries of the rest of the world and lets my mind relax enough to write. If and when i get published, every story is going to be dedicated soaly to my horse.

[Yay] Happy Trails [Yay]

Well, you don't want one that's too smalll...it will just give you a headache.

But if the one you've got isn't snug enough, it will slop around, and then you will end up leaving it at home. Won't do much for your head sitting in the barn.

Go shopping, JoJones. Ideally, your helmet should be snug, with a little room for 'give'. And try different brands - the sizes don't fit the same across all brands/styles of helmet.

Okay, I bit the bullet and wore it yesterday. Definitely a shopping trip is in order. Either that or some sort of filler-cap under it (ugh!) I could put my hand on top of it and wiggle it every which way. I wore it figuring anything would be better than nothing, but am becoming convinced a helmet is a necessary evil, so <sigh> will go spend MORE money, lol.

****, just buying the horse ain't the half of it (quite literally). I've had her 2 months, she came with everything (from barn buckets and all tack to fencing) and I've already topped her purchase price in... STUFF!!!

But yesterday she spooked in the road twice -- once going, once coming, at the same place -- and then tried to take off another time to get home quicker (or just too much unspent energy) and when horses do something unexpected, they sure don't give a lot of notice. While I didn't come close to losing my seat, it DID occur to me that I was glad I wore the helmet. But after that, I wondered if the thing would slip askew if put to the test which, in itself, could be dangerous (sight blocked, etc.)

So ya convinced me guys. I wore it. It wasn't THAT horrible wearing one. In fact, I can see where, after a while, you'd maybe feel a little vulnerable without it. And so I'm buying a proper helmet. I'm glad I asked the question, and glad replies were fairly adamant to wear one.

JJ