Sign in to follow this  
arevell

Bryce Canyon in Utah

Has anybody been to that location riding? I read about it in the newest issue of Western Horseman and we are thinking about planning a trip there in the summer of 2007.

I called the Forest Service and they said they only had 1 equestrian camp ground and it was in Red Canyon, which is near Bryce Canyon.

If someone has been there riding, can you tell me about it??

We rode "dude" horses there several years

ago. It was quite dusty, but we had lots of

horses and newbies. It is beautiful and I wish we had

had our own.

I would plan your trip early June or maybe even

in May. I will be hot in the summer.

Get maps and etc, from the Forest Service or

Rangers. The campground may be a few miles

from Bryce.

Sounds like a great place to ride.

ditto to above regarding doing it in spring... or possibly late fall- do not do it in july, august or most of september.... ooops, never mind, just saw your from iowa- heat won't bother you right?!... do it whenever...lol. I have never ridden in bryce, but I have hiked and camped in the area pretty extensively. Red canyon is close to bryce- i actually prefer to camp there because it is usually less populated than bryce. The article in western horseman was making me drool also- I say "go for it," you might want to work on really conditioning your horses because a lot of the trails are steep and the ones that aren't steep tend to be very sandy which can really wear a person out -I would assume it would be the same for a horse. Good luck- if you do go- take lots and lots of pictures!!!

I've just started reading that article. From what I gathered, the article dealt mostly with the people that take you in on their horses. I was wondering if you could take your horses or not.

The scenery was AWESOME, but dang that's a long way from Tejas!

I always enjoy Western Horseman's trail articles. I wish they had more. This issue is their annual "vacation" one, or something like that. The Canadian article looks good too.

Jer

Texjer, yes you can take your own horses, as they have horse motels there. They do not have any horse camp grounds in Bryce Canyon, but they do in Red Canyon and it is just one area. I think that we will be going to Red Canyon to camp and ride and then maybe trailer over to Bryce Canyon to ride as well, but the Forest Service gentleman said that we have to get with the people who do the guided trips in Bryce Canyon and that does not sound like to much fun to me as we like to make our own way, but we will see.

I think we will be going in early June next year, so what is the weather like during that time? (for all those that have been there).

I used to work in Bryce Canyon, Grand and Zion. I was their horse/mule trainer and farrier. The place you wanna contact is Canyon trail rides. They supply the horses/mules and everything. There are hour, 1/2 day and full day tours. You will absoultley love it there it is so beautiful. I would make plans to go in april may and make reservations atleast a few weeks in advance. they also have the red canyon round up rodeo which is where locals and the wranglers rodeo. If you need any numbers or anything just let me know