Sign in to follow this  
doublelhorses

Central Illinois 2007 chat

Decided it was time to start a new post for all of us Illinois trail riders. But we want everyone to feel free to pop in now and again. I missed the ice but I know EQRDR had some. So how is everyone else doing out there. If the weather ever cooperates I'm up fro a trail ride. Will try to post pics today of our last get together at Litchfield if I can remeber how. [Confused]

Hope you are able to get the pics posted!! Can't wait to see them and start dreaming of it being that nice again.

Ice missed us again, but have gotten rain every day since Friday. The water surrounding us is unreal. I'd love to go riding sometime when the rain lets us, but until the ground dries up some, doubt I get the trailer out unless it's an emergency. Just too muddy in front of the shed doors.

Hi doublel, well lucked out on the last 2 go arounds, know they say we are going to get snow but not much, I am sure ready for Spring and ready to ride. Hope to see you all later.

sandy

Rain, Rain,and more Rain. We are swimming here. I got a new bridle for xmas and would love to try it on, but to muddy and wet to go for a spin and my trailer wheels are up to the hubs in water, so it will be a while for it is out.

CGB: I've never been riding in the Elgin area. I'm hoping to branch out more this summer and go on some weekend trips though. That way the longer hauls are worth it. Elgin is a good 4 hours north of me, so it's not doable for just a day ride. How are the trails up there?

I mostly ride at Wolf Creek on Lake Shelbyville. This past summer/fall I also tried out Sand Creek (Mt Zion), Ramsey and Litchfield.

Hi all,

Got the latest pictures uploaded to photo gallery so here goes. These should be pictures from our last outing in Litchfield.

-

-]

[ 01-15-2007, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: doublelhorses ]

Darn! Seems like I can't get more than one at a time to post. Guess this will be a slowwwwwww process. -

-

[ 01-15-2007, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: doublelhorses ]

The trails up near my barn are amazing! I am talking 10,000 acres, 300 miles of trails open to horses. There are some open fields to gallop in, and some nice shady trails for those hot summers. there are a few ponds, too [big Grin]

Double, I went and checked out your gallery. The photo's turned out good. And now I have evidence that Indigo will cross (as well as stand in) water. [big Grin]

CGB: Is there camping too? If there is, that could be a weekend option to check the trails out up there.

Morning all, just a quick Hello.

Trailrdr - Talked to my Farrier she does mean to sell the pony she has this spring. It is a black gelding, about 13 hands. Has a large white spot near the withers. About 4 yrs old, gentle. Said it seems to be good and broke but she will have a better idea of wheather or not it will make a kids mount later on when she gets more time to ride it.

So, is anyone braving the cold this weekend to do some riding? I'm planning to go to the horse auction Saturday morning. Still trying to talk hubby into going, but may just go on my own.

Eeyore, what horse auction you going to on Saturday? Is it the Arthur one? I might go to it. I hope to get out to ride around home, maybe go somewhere this weekend, probably not though.

Yep, planning to head to Arthur early Saturday morning. I'm looking to buy stirrups for Indigo's saddle. I know I can buy on-line . . . but it's so much more fun to go to the auction and see what else I can buy that I really don't need. [big Grin]

If I brave the cold to ride it will just be around home. Granddaughter wanted to ride last weekend but with that bronchitus I had to pass so I expect she will call again. My mom said I have created a monster by taking her to Litchfield on the trail ride. I told her that was OK that type of monster I could handle. Hopefully weather will warm up and we can get together to ride soon.

Tell me more about the auction. When, Where, What time? I have gone to the auction at Goresville but not the one at Arthur. I am only about 90 minutes from Arthur.

Arthur has the horse & tack sale every 3rd Saturday of the month (they have other auctions too throughout the month, but I only go to the 3rd Saturday ones). I usually go every other month or so. They have both new and used tack & supplies for sale from 9 am - 12ish. New sales are in one section and the used stuff is in another. The saddles usually start selling at 12:30 and then the horses follow that. I don't think I've ever come home empty handed. There is also a restaurant that serves breakfast and lunch, so food is close if you get hungry.

The Arthur Sale Barn is located on the north side of town. I usually come in on Hwy 133. Turn north (left) on Vine st and go through town. The barn is on the left side of the road as you are leaving Arthur.

I'll probably leave to head over there around 7:30 or 8. Double, if you want to go with me, we can meet in Shelbyville and ride together, or if you just want to meet up over there, that would be fun too. Either way, just know you are more than welcome.

[ 01-18-2007, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: eeyore4176 ]

quote:

Originally posted by doublelhorses:

My mom said I have created a monster by taking her to Litchfield on the trail ride. I told her that was OK that type of monster I could handle.

That's a good monster to have. At least this way you will always have a riding partner. My grandpa and I went out every Saturday and Sunday to the local stables near the town where I grew up. I wish he still rode cause those were some of the best times I had growing up. A lot of our family vacations were planned around having a place for us to ride.

Eeyore - I will talk to hubby tonight about the auction. Sounds like a fun way to spend a few hours. Will just plan on meeting you there if I go. If I go it will be early. A person can always use tack & brushes. Who knows maybe I can find a youth saddle.

I think I am going to head to the sale barn, I for sure want to see the horses (I know most of them look pitiful but I always want to see them)I think my friend is going to be the auctioneer. I might make it to the tack part. I am afraid to go to it because I don't need a lot but I always find a lot! I think thats everyones problem. There is also suppose to be a craft sale of some sort going on in town, my mom was talking about going to it. So, if you guys are interested in that.

Hello everyone. Hope all is well with all of you. I have had a cold for the last two weeks....last week it just about beat me.....but I am too mean to let it.....lol Eeyore and Double, I hope you enjoy the auction. I know I always do when I get to go. I just wanted to let you all know that I have a store on E-Bay. I finally got some new stuff in....blankets with pics of horses, money clips, and I also found some wholesale nylon heastalls with reins. The name of my store is Horse Heaven Trading Post if you guys care to check it out. I am trying to find a tack wholesaler so I can get some things like bits and leather headstalls, etc. I have located one I just need to get with them and get the particulars. Well, take care and I hope you two have fun. I have some more critters to feed...including myself. [smiley Wavey]

Hey I don't mean to butt in ,but back up please I saw auction!!! I love auctions and I live approx 2 1/2 hrs way from Arthur , only 5 miles from the Goreville Auction. I try to stay away from the close ones because it is a hop skip and jump to a trailer . I have heard about Arthur before but never ran across someone who goes. Is it a large sale? Goreville has a large registered sale every 3 months and 2 friday night of ea month. does anyone go to Waterloo for animal swap. I know I am not from Central Illinios , But I am close enough Right????

Hi everyone, I sometimes go to Arthur sale, I have a friend from Rantoul area that goes and she said she going Sat, its to cold for me, even though part of its heated, its still cold in there,you guys have fun.

Sandy

Hello Belsy , you are welcome any time. We just call ourselves central Illinois but we are from Vandalia to Springfield, to Gillespie and Shelbyville. We always welcome new riders and anyone that wants to pop in we are a pretty friendly, horse crazy group. Eeyore knows more about the auction than I do. I have been to the Goreville auction once. Was a neat experience. I don't need any more horses, unless I win the lottery but I could stand to replace some of my misc items. Still not sure if I am going. SIL is suppose to be bringing hay this weekend. [Confused]

Hey all. I'm definitely going to the sale. I think my other half is going to switch out some signs Saturday instead of coming with me, so I'll be solo. That's ok, I'm able to buy more that way. [big Grin]

Belsy: I went to 6 of the sales last year and they had 80 or more horses at each one. We bought a palamino paint last year for a cousin for $500. He ended up being a great horse, just too big for her so now a friend has him. There has always been lots of new and used tack. I tend to stay on the used side cause I find more I'd like to have over there. I'm always surprised at the turnouts, even when the weather is cold.

BK: Thanks for the info on the craft sale!! Might have to check that out.

quote:

Originally posted by belsy2u2:

does anyone go to Waterloo for animal swap.

What is Waterloo animal swap??? Obviously, I've never been.

I am going to the auction as well. My mom is going to go with me and then we might swing by the craft thing. I dont know a whole lot of info on that tho.