Sign in to follow this  
doublelhorses

Central Illinois 2007 chat

Hey, 80 or more horses at the Arthur sale? How often do they have a sale? I can not go tomorrow since I have to work , but i am going to th eGoreville one tonight. I can imagine what the horses will look like tonight. I am sure people will be dumping horses, for I bought feed today and it went up 1.75 a bag. I have been feeding stradegy. I used to pay 8.00 50# now it is 9.75# I think I will go to the local and buy oats and mix with it to last longer. We have an Amish family a couple of miles away who has feed mill, may have to check him out. Well thanks for the invite. Don't forget to post about the auction, inquiring minds want to know!!!!!!

Well seems like I am playing phone tag regarding the hay. I still have enough for another month so I am pretty sure I will head for the auction in the morning. I need a break and some cheap fun.

Eeyore, I will look for you around the used tack. Hopefully we will see each other.

Oh my, went to auction last night and came home empty handed, had to sit on hands. Horse very low prices 150.-450. some looked pretty good shape like they were picked up from a 4 h show and thrown in a trailer if u know what I mean. They had llamas , I never saw llamas at a horse auction. They went cheap 70.00 ea, I guess that is cheap. Well how did very body else do today?

Oh lord, my husband about wanted to kill me when I got home Saturday. I took two saddles to sell that we never use and hopefully find a pair of stirrups. WELL . . . . I ended up coming home with two saddles, a couple bridles and an english girth so the girl that rides with me on occasion can try my english saddle on Hunter. Didn't find any stirrups that I wanted though, so I guess I'll be buying those online.

There was A TON of used tack. Good number of saddles too. I'm guessing there was around 70 head at the sale. As usual, the ones I thought would sell good went cheap and the ones I didn't think much of went relatively high.

Double did you make it to the sale? I looked for ya, but obviously never saw you. There were some decent smaller saddles that sold pretty cheap that I thought you might like.

BK, did you end up buying anything?

[ 01-22-2007, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: eeyore4176 ]

Eeyore, Nope didn't make the sale. My Mom thinks [Question] she's been having tranmission problems with her car so we wound up going car looking Sat morning. [Confused] Not exactly what I had planned. She still doesn't know what she is gonna do. Did they sell any hay at the auction? SIL has never come thru with his hay for the little horse so I need some more to finish out the winter.

Thought about riding in the new snow on Sunday but was just to lazy. Really want to get in a ride soon. Hope this weekend will let me ride someplace.

Hello ladies, Well we are getting closer to riding season, wish we could fast forward to April 1st.

Eeyore, I thought you were gonna say you came home with a new horse. I love used tack, you clean it up and it's all broke in. Hopefully we will get over to Carrollton sale before riding season as I need a royal blue saddle pad for Reno, but might find it at D&D.

double - Hubbie said if gas prices stay down we want to try some new places to ride to, some friends of ours wants to go to Shawnee for a weekend this yr but I said hopefully after Big Piney while the horses still have there shoes on then I want them pulled and leave them barefoot (that's my goal anyway) Well hope everyone stays warm, how much snow did you's get? We got around 4-5 " [bang Head] bye

I don't know if they sold hay or not? There was a trailer & wagon for sale outside, but I never went out to look to see if there was anything else. If you are in a hurry to buy hay, in Shelbyville there is an livestock auction house on the east side of town that always has hay for sale. I don't know what kind of quality it is though?

I was considering trying out the new tack yesterday to ride around in the snow, but ended up going with hubby to Hillsboro and Jerseyville to switch out more billboard signs.

Trail-Rider - my husband WOULD have killed me if I brought home another horse!!! There was a nice b&w 3 yo APHA gelding that I liked. He went for $775. I am with ya on wishing April 1st would get here FAST. Two reasons. 1. warmer weather and more riding time and 2. It's my b-day. [big Grin]

Eeyore - Thanks for the info on the Shelbyville auction. Think I may have located some alfalfa grass mixed hay. But am trying to keep my ears open in case it falls thru. Know anybody with a hay rake & square baler they want to sell cheap, cheap, cheap????? We have a few places that will let us bale the fields if we can get our own equipment it will be cheaper and easier on our backs as we will be able to do one field at a time.

I am with you guys on riding. I plan on spending a weekend at Forbes and another at SHelbyville as soon as they open and weather permits. Anybody up for a weekend at Greenfelters in Missouri? Its behind six flags.

Nice campground but no electric. Does have a nice shower house and a covered stall area if neeed.

If I hear of any hay equipment up for sale, will let ya know. We do all of our own baling with an uncle and it saves us a lot of money. Does take up more time on the weekends to bale it. I got out of everything except driving around to pick up the bales last year cause of my ankle. Guessing I will be helping a little more this year.

I definitely want to try out Forbes this year. Never heard of Greenfelters. I would be game for going down though.

I would love to try out Greenfelters but like I said I want to try and leave my horses bare foot except for our missouri trip, so maybe before we pull the shoes from that trip. Is forbes rocky? Hubbie and I are game for new places if gas prices stay down.

Nope, didnt buy anything. I know what paint you are talking about though, I looked at it pretty hard, my friend was bidding on it for a while but didnt want to go over $500 for something. Was nice lookin though. I almost bought some halters but I kept myself from it. Don't know how!! My friend is the auctioneer so he always keeps me from buying things because he knows I am just going to complain about spending the money later. Comes in handy [smile]

Hey doubleL do you have any information on that place in MO, I have had some friends of my go there all time and say it is a great place to go.

Just a rememinder time changes March 11, this year, so hope the weather will be just as nice then also.

Sandy

Hey guys, Greenfelters is a ST.Louis county park. A very well kept secret as it is in few listings. No signage on the roads to let you know it exists either. Trails vary from easy to severe/difficult. While there are rocks on some of the trails there are also several that you can ride without shoes. One of the trails goes right behind the fence for six flags and depending on the time of year you may be able to see some of the rides. Plenty of deer also. There is a stable there and they host hay rides so there are trails you can ride easily. Pretty country but hilly so your horse should be in fair shape. Very little flat riding.

Oops ... Edited to ad that they are open year round [Yay][Yay] About 90 miles from me so a fairly long haul. My little sis lives in the area so thats how I found out about it.

[ 01-23-2007, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: doublelhorses ]

Hey Double - there is an auction on Feb 15 with a bunch of hay equipment and 600 bales of hay near Allenville. It's a Thursday, so I don't know if you would want to take the time off work? If you are interested, I can get the information on what time it starts, location, etc.

Anyone do any riding over the weekend? I was off half a day on Friday for vet & farrier appointments, so Indigo and I went out after the farrier left. Saturday, cousin came out and we went riding for about 1 1/2 hours. Little on the cold side, but good to get out.

Hey eeyore, nope no riding for quite a while now, to muddy don't know where to go. Mine are to barn sour to try and ride away, fighting them takes all the fun out of it. Not to bad out today with the sun. Glad you got to ride.

Hi double.

Guess you's heard they had to put Barbaro down this morn. [Me Cry]

[ 01-29-2007, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Trail-Rider ]

I did a little riding on my new horse.He needs alot of work to go on the trails soon,he spooked at a twig the first time i rode him.But then again he hasn't been ridden in over 7 months.But he hasn't bucked or reared with me,so thats always good.And he just wants to please you.So hopefully i can get him sorted out this spring and go on some trails.He needs to lose about 100-150 pounds to be fit.

The trails at my farm are still out.We have whole trees in the middle of the trails that are too big to jump over.and the river is flooding out most of the lower trails,which will be fun to clean up this spring. [Roll Eyes]

When is the next auction at Arthur?I need to go there to get some spare parts for my western saddle,and hopefully get my new one so Tosha won't have to ride English with Shado.

Next general horse & tack sale is Feb 17th (it's the 3rd Saturday of every month). I'm not going to it this month. My parents are flying us down to TX that weekend to see their new house and go to the San Antonio rodeo. Sad it requires bribery to get us to come for a visit.

Indigo developed a new fondness for rearing this past weekend. Both Friday & Saturday he reared up on me when I wouldn't let him go any faster than a walk out in the field. We mostly stuck to the road, but a few times had to get off the road because of things we were going past, i.e. neighbors splitting wood, the cows, cars, etc. If I'm going to fall from a spook, I would rather come up muddy than land on pavement. The only thing we spooked at this time was a flag that was whipping around by a mailbox. We actually made it past the cows first try and walked through the puddles instead of snorting and side passing them.

Heard about Barbaro. So sad.

Waas planning to ride Sat then wound up going to get 50 bales of hay. Had to pay more than I like but at least I have hay. Fella said he had sold over 1000 bales last week. Most of it is going to Oklahoma. Seems they are selling small sq for between 7 & 10 a bale down there.

Crossing my fingers for good weather to ride. I am suffering withdrawl. [Crazy]

We have found a baler. Hoping to pick it up this weekend. Still on the lookout for a good "cheap" hay rake. But at least I have a little time to look. Don't think I will go to the auction but I am watching the farm estate sales.

Well gotta go. Nice to see everybody.

The pics are beautiful. I will try to post pics of the shawnee national forest soon when I have patience to figure it out. There is an auction here friday night and horse prices are pitifully low, but tack prices high. Where is the trail located in these pics? I am ridng this weekend blizzard or not, for I have never ridden in snow.

Belsey - most of those pictures are from the trails at Lou Yeager Lake in Litchfield. There may be a few mixed in of Wolf Creek. Both are fun places to ride. I am really glad I met these gals and have other places to go. Hope you can join us some this year.

double - just looked at your pics in your galery. Nice pic's. In the last pic is that you on one of Eeyoure's horses?

Eeyoure, love the one of you and Indigo standing in the water. *Way to Go* Spring can't get here quick enough, I'm ready to go [Yay]

That last pic is me on Indigo too. I have one of Double on Flash from that time out. Not the best quality though. Cheap disposable camera.

-

I went and bought a truck last night. Traded in my 4Runner cause hubby said I wasn't going to be able to borrow his truck as much this coming season since he took on another billboard company to hang signs for. Got a 2002 F250 superduty crew cab. It's black and tan with beige and dark brown leather interior. Much nicer than I was looking for, but the price was right. Now I can pull the horses with my own vehicle. [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by eeyore4176:

That last pic is me on Indigo too. I have one of Double on Flash from that time out. Not the best quality though. Cheap disposable camera.

-

I went and bought a truck last night. Traded in my 4Runner cause hubby said I wasn't going to be able to borrow his truck as much this coming season since he took on another billboard company to hang signs for. Got a 2002 F250 superduty crew cab. It's black and tan with beige and dark brown leather interior. Much nicer than I was looking for, but the price was right. Now I can pull the horses with my own vehicle.
[big Grin]

Good for you on the truck. Hopefully by this summer I will have my own to [big Grin] suppose to be getting hubbies company truck as he is getting a different company truck so if I want to go somewhere thru the week I can go. hope hope

quote:

Originally posted by Trail-Rider:

Hopefully by this summer I will have my own to
[big Grin]
suppose to be getting hubbies company truck as he is getting a different company truck so if I want to go somewhere thru the week I can go. hope hope[/QB]

I've got my fingers crossed for ya. I already feel so liberated having my own truck (and mine is bigger than hubbies - hehehehe). We've actually been looking since fall, but I'm so gosh darn picky, I found flaws in everything that was in my price range and refused to go any higher with what I was willing to pay. I can't wait for the weather to get nice enough to trailer to ride somewhere now.

I'm new to the board. I do not do alot of trail riding and have only been to the state forest in manito. I take my babies there to put time on them. That sand sure makes them tired (haha) [Razz]

It's been so cold that I have resorted to boarding my horse at a friends stable to keep her legged up for the barrel racing season. Gotta love an indoor arena! [big Grin] My neighbor loves to trail ride and tries to get me to go all the time. Her favorite is near Danville(?).

I'm new to the board. I do not do alot of trail riding and have only been to the state forest in manito. I take my babies there to put time on them. That sand sure makes them tired (haha) [Razz]

It's been so cold that I have resorted to boarding my horse at a friends stable to keep her legged up for the barrel racing season. Gotta love an indoor arena! [big Grin] My neighbor loves to trail ride and tries to get me to go all the time. Her favorite is near Danville(?).

Welcome Illinois Racer - We are all just a bunch of good 'ole trail riders that try and go to different parks and have a good time trail riding. Where in Ill are you? Maybe you could meet up with us sometime.

I live near Peoria illinois. I miss trail riding, I used to go all the time, even spent the SUMMER vacations at a state park in iowa where i grew up.

We used to get all the family and friends together for the weekends to ride and it was SOOOO much fun.

quote:

Originally posted by illinois racer:

I live near Peoria illinois. I miss trail riding, I used to go all the time, even spent the SUMMER vacations at a state park in iowa where i grew up.

Where at in Iowa? I'm originally from Tipton. I'm hoping to go back this summer for a saddle club outing with family friends near the tiny town of Spragueville. Last time I went out with them I had an awesome time.

I was born and raised in Fort Madison, home of the tri-state rodeo. [Yay] Our yearly family vacation involved a 4 day trail(road) ride from about 75 miles west of fort madison to the rodeo and camping the weekend. You can't bet the thrill of the Grand Entry. [Yay]