Tuffy2712

Indiana Trail Chat

Calling all Indiana trail riders!!! Let this be the place where we can share info on Indiana trails, schedule to meet up and ride or whatever else you want to chat about.

If you're not from Indiana but really want to chat you're more than welcome!!

Well, here I am sticking my KY nose into IN business again. But I just had to tell Tuffy that I, too, have a trail mount named Sheba. She is a 12 year old SSH.

When we first started breeding our own, I was going with Biblical names. We had Shadrach and Meshach and then Bathsheba - which was shortened to just Sheba. Hubby made me quit before I got to Abednego...said people could not pronounce the names.

Then we went to reindeer names. I had a Dancer, a Dasher and a Vixen.

Yeah, I know I'm goofy. [big Grin]

Hey guys- Good idea to start this thread, Tuffy!

I thought I'd share some pics from my trip to Colorado this past summer...

My mare Quincy, ready for a ride.

-

Water break. HAd to wait for the wind to blow to get fresh spring water- it was cold!!!

-

Running the Mares and foals in for am feeding.

-

This day was an all day ride, so I rode a ranch horse.

-

Pretty scenery!

-

Sunrise over one of the pastures.

-

Hope you enjoyed the pics!!!

Megan

[ 11-02-2007, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: meg1506 ]

Thanks! I love my mare- I'm partial to color. My first horse was a palomino, so there is a soft spot in my heart for them!

CO was pretty. We weren't near any mountains, but the scenery itself was so different and amazing. We were located in the Pawnee National Grasslands, so hearing the stories (while sitting under the cliff itself) of how the Indians used to run buffalo of of cliffs, etc was breathtaking. I enjoy visiting places that many years ago something historic happened there.

Anyone else made any trips with their horses on extended vacations?

The farthest I've ventured was to Shawnee Nat'l Forest. Very pretty! The weather could've been better, but we still had fun! I'll post some of my trail ride pics!

We have ridden the Shawnee twice and it is some of the most beautiful riding anywhere.

Did you go throught the one horse gap? That was really fun. It goes up between two HUGE boulders and is so narrow at one point, you have to pull your feet out of the stirrups and put them on your horse's neck!!

RIDE ON!

Nope, didnt get to see one horse gap, would've liked to though. I've seen pics of it on the net.

I frequent:

Midwest, Brown County, Owen-Putnam St. Forest, Greene-Sullivan St. Forest, Fowler Park, JW Jones and some private properties.

I posted on the other post. Oh well I am not going to repeat myself. Good to see everyone on here from Indiana. I will try to stay posted and up to date with you guys. I was out of town and away from my computer all weekend. Went down to Louisville to the North American. One of my 4-H kids got first place in the Horsemanship class. Both judges picked her first. It was awesome!!!

That's awesome! Congrats!

I read your other post, I bet I've seen you at Yellow Rose before. I go there occasionally just to watch. I thought about going to the one this weekend, but I think we're having my brother's B-day party on Saturday. He turns 7 tomorrow.

Beverly R- We named our goats biblical names too, there was Naomi, Ruth, Ester, Boaz, Mordecai, and Obed. I think Abednego would be cute! [big Grin]

Yep, I bet you have seen me, because if I'm not announcing I am riding a big bay mare, who is a little hyper going in the pen. I still love her though. I have another horse that I trail ride with. I like to walk, not prance all the time. LOL!!! Yes we are proud of her. She represented our county great!!! What a great kid she is also.

Congrats on the show! How exciting! It's great to see these 4-H kids put in all that hard work and it pay off in the end. I bet you are very proud! [Yay]

I love working with the 4-H kids. Sometimes the parents can get a little testy. We need to make a date to meet up with everyone that is intested. It is always fun to meet new horse people. Especially if you are from Indiana.

My sister competed in the Gibson County fair for the first time last year, I got to help out and stuff. It was alot of fun. Her horse is 6 and isn't trained to neck rein, so she didn't ride, but got 1st in Halter (mares) in senior division.

We didn't have a trailer when I was in 4-H so I didn't get to show 4-H... [Me Cry] That's ok, I get to be her personal groom. LOL

I would love to go but wouldn't be able to leave town until after 1pm.

Also- are bridle tags required year round, or just during set months? I don't have any and am planning on waiting until spring to get some since I won't be riding much now that the weather is changing...

I would love to go, but I am announcing a horse show on Saturday, and a bunch of us gals are getting together for our girls weekend. LOL!!!! We have a blast when we do this. We bring our horses and just hang out all weekend. This year we are going to someones barn, since we had to wait so long into the fall before we could all get together. I think this year we are trail riding on her farm, Karoke, scavanger hunt, and all sorts of other things. I am really looking forward to it.

On the DNR website it says that horse use tags are not required between December 1 and the last day of March.

I hope to ride Tank in the arena some this weekend. We have so much to do to prepare for winter still. We are trying to get everything put away and stuff.

I rode alittle around my place yesterday and I think I'm going to take advantage of Veteran's day and go over to a friends house and ride tomorrow.

I didn't get to do any riding this weekend... [Me Cry]

I finally got a hold of our hay guy who's been avoiding us for two months. He sold the hay he promised he was saving for us. Soo, we searched everywhere and found a guy who has has pretty close by, but we have to pay double what we we're gonna pay. But at least we have it!

But I did learn a valuable lesson...

Never turn down a date from your hay guy [Wink]

Well, didnt get to ride today. With temps up around 68 we had a good chance for t-storms all day, it was really windy too. And when it did cut loose it was bad. But before the storm hit I did clean out my trailer (much needed).

The weather is so unpredictable here this time of year. A couple of years ago we had a tornado hit 10 miles up the road in an Amish community. It was during the school day so I was worried about the kids. Luckily we are at the end of the building with the basement... (but I think more worried about all my animals at home!)

Rained all night , I think. Makes for a muddy mess. Tuffy, at least you got the trailer cleaned out- no fun doing that in the cold!