Tuffy2712

Indiana Trail Chat

Has anyone ever been riding at New Harmony State Park? I just watched on the local news and they said they we're making their trails bigger. I really didn't even know they had trails. The only time I've ever been there is with my grandparents to look at deer and have picnics.

It's about 40 min. North West of Evansville. I think I had the name wrong. It's Harmonie State Park. Maybe that's why I couldn't find anything on Google.

I just looked it up and found a map of the trail. There is one trail, it goes a ways and loops back around. Very small. I think our trail at home is bigger. Maybe they'll make it worth while to drive there when they work on it.

I would love to meet up with a group of Indiana riders at the HHF. I go every year. We usually get a room and just stay the whole weekend. Have you heard that the price of our riding tags are going up? I guess with the cost of everything else, it's to be expected.

Looks like they're calling for an early winter- today is the last halfway decent day. [Frown]

Sure is pretty out- blue sky! Not sure of the temp- haven't been out since 11am, and then it was a little chilly with the wind.

I thought about getting out and riding a bit this evening before the sun set, but I did something to my neck (karma - don't steal your hubby's 2nd pillow and pretend to know nothing about it just b/c the lights are off)but I have a pretty good guess how it happened! So riding is out until I heal up. I noticed it felt better this morning, but not good enough to ride. I still have to do that funny turn-the-whole-body thing to look out my windows when driving. I feel like a robot!

Anyone else going out for a pretty day ride?

I didn't get to ride today, but I did get to pick out all the burrs out of Tanks mane and tail. I didn't get to go out until 4 so it was pretty chilly when I was out.

I really wish I could go to HHF. But I know there's no way I'll have enough money. [Frown]

I hurt my neck too [Frown]

I fell off a roof on on Thanksgiving. Clumsy me [Wink] It's finally feeling better. Hope yours feel better soon! [Huggy]

[ 11-28-2007, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: equine_luver5008 ]

Fell off the roof??? Christmas lights? Hope you're doing okay. Mine seems to get better then I will have some hours of worse pain. Back to feeling better. I'm bad about going tot he dr., so sticking it out a little bit longer......

Breezy and colder today- yuk! Those poor horses don't know me too well inthe winter. See me long enough to clean and feed.

It's 3 pm and it just got above freezing here in N Indiana. I still have some winterizing to do to my barn, get the outdoor Xmas lights up and dig up some bulbs before the big freeze (teens) Monday night. ); Brrrrr

Those of you who have been to Midwest Trails. I want to go there but I do not have a camper/trailer. So I was interested in renting one of those cedar log cabins. I was looking at the map of the place on their website: Midwest but I cannot figure out where they are. So I have a few questions;

Are these the cabins labeled C located on the north end of the camp?

Are the smaller barns by these C labeled cabins for the horses of those who rent the cabins?

Are these cabins nice to stay in?

I know I can ask the owners but I have more faith in those people who are guests there.

[ 11-29-2007, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: dgRuffian ]

Well actually we we're at my Aunt's house in Washington for Thanksgiving and my dad was helping my uncle put on some metal on the shed they were building. We've built a bunch of these so I went out to help, but this roof was insanely steep. As soon as I got up there I started sliding off [Roll Eyes] Luckily I landed on the fence and the ladder. [Wink]

dgruffian-Just above freezing? poor thing. it's not that cold down here yet. it's supposed to get alot colder over the weekend though.

I've never been to midwest, but would like to go sometime. Looks like a nice place.

[ 11-29-2007, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: equine_luver5008 ]

Hey DJ!

There are two types of cabins there, I stayed in the nicer ones-they have heat and air, two sets of bunkbeds (4 beds in all) a little table, ceiling fan, 3 windows and a porch. Very cute, very rustic! The bunkhouse cabins I believe are just four walls and a roof! Whats nice about those cabins r that you could have 4 people stay and split the fee. The smaller barns are meant for the cabin users. I'm leaving work now, I'll post pics when I get home!

Okay here are some pics of midwest! The firewood and sawdust is free to use their too.

This is where you check in and also where you shop! In the back of it is the mess hall, dance floor, restrooms with nice showers.

-

These are the prim buckhouses

-

The cabins

-

The stalls by the cabins

-

The stalls for campers with trailers

-

It really is an all in one place! Its my fave! They have scheduled rides that last all weekend, now it seems pricey, but that includes all your food too! I hope this helped!

Yes Tuffy that did help a lot. When I get there I am getting a cabin for sure. I am past roughing it while camping. Is that your horse in the stall? He sure is nice.

One more Q: How many stalls are in the cabin barn?

[ 11-29-2007, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: dgRuffian ]

Yeah, that was Legend my appy gelding. I sold him to get into mules. He was one of the most goregous appy's I've seen.

These pics are from Midwest as well

-

-

-

Yeah, I miss him but I do enjoy the ride my mules give me!

I missed your last ? I can't remeber if there is 6, 8 or 10 to each side. They're back to back with another set of stalls for the other side of cabins. I know you can rent several at a time. You have your own water spicket (sp) too.

midwest looks like a really nice place to ride. i like that they have good places for the horses to stay.

equine-I could haul you if you wanted to go with me sometime. maybe we can meet up with ruffian and tuffy at the same time. That would be fun!

That would be really cool.

I'm really hoping to have my horse trained by spring time, but I'm getting worried that I won't be done. I haven't worked with him in two weeks [Duh] I'm a wimp when it comes to being cold... Plus it's dark by 4:30 [Frown]

By the time I get done with work, it is dark too. So my horses have the winter off.

Tuff - Who and what is that huge beast tied across from your Appy? Dang he is big.

[ 11-30-2007, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: dgRuffian ]

That is Jewel, she is a snowcap appy. Yeah, she definately wouldnt miss a few groceries. I think she's 10, my friends horse. Legend was 14.3 h and weighed at least 1000 lbs if that tells ya anything!

That's too bad about your ride. This weather is erratic. It's was cold and snowy yesterday (Sat) and now it is 54 and raining with some gusto to include some thunder. So I stayed inside and decorated for Christmas. When I should be cleaning my paddock. [Wink]

On the ground is just as important as in the saddle! It was back to work for me [Frown] The amish finally got Sam's britchen made so I'll probably be taking him out the next time I go. Don't know if it'll be this weekend though. I've got the company Christmas party on Friday and then the Cowgirl Christmas party on Saturday. We've had the Cowgirl Christmas party for years. All the women get together, carry in, play lots of horse related games, dirty santa and just talk about our trail rides from that summer! Its really cool!

Hey Tuffy, that Cowgirl Christmas sounds interesting. I might have to try something like that with the group I hang out with. Of course we just had our girls weekend together, I don't know what the hubbys would say about a cowgirl Christmas. I got to brush my guys last evening. They were so muddy!!!! I kept them in on Sunday and Monday, I let them run last evening while I was cleaning and picking their stalls. I am sending one horse to the trainer in Jan, and then my neice is taking the other young horse and working with her for me. Then I am taking one horse up to Indy for my daughter to ride and get in shape. Whew!!! Maybe then I will have time to get my mare legged up and ready to go. There are a group of us gonig to the YRR on New Year's Day to ride and just mess around. If any one else wants to go just come on over and introduce your selves. We are sure to have lots of fun!!!

Question for you guys...(who have kids)...

Here's the situation....

My husband and I are starting a family. We actually got prego a few months back and I miscarried at 5 weeks. We have waited a little and are going to start back again. Here's my dilema - I am the "horse person" in the family. My husband is very involved with coaching and is gone alot of evenigs/weekends with practices and games. I attend most/all games, too. My concern is when I am pregnant that I won't be able to take care of my horses. I won't be able to ride/exercise them. I hate to see them go to 'waste' in the pasture without being ridden. I also hate to have my husband take up the responsibility of cleaning the stalls/paddock, etc. He really is too busy to help with those things. I am concerned that during my pregenacy and after when the baby is little I won't be able to go out and clean/ride.

Plus I don't want the cost of maintaining them if I am not using them. horses are too big to have as "pets" on our income. If we have them, I ride and enjoy them.

Should I: sell them? (it would break my heart!)

lease them (fat chance! who would want them and how would I find someone!)

keep them (major problem for my husband with his available time)

PLEASE - those of you who have been in this situation, tell me how you have handled it and what you think I should do that would be best for me and the horses... [Frown]

quote:

Originally posted by meg1506:

Question for you guys...(who have kids)...

Here's the situation....

My husband and I are starting a family. We actually got prego a few months back and I miscarried at 5 weeks. We have waited a little and are going to start back again. Here's my dilema - I am the "horse person" in the family. My husband is very involved with coaching and is gone alot of evenigs/weekends with practices and games. I attend most/all games, too. My concern is when I am pregnant that I won't be able to take care of my horses. I won't be able to ride/exercise them. I hate to see them go to 'waste' in the pasture without being ridden. I also hate to have my husband take up the responsibility of cleaning the stalls/paddock, etc. He really is too busy to help with those things. I am concerned that during my pregenacy and after when the baby is little I won't be able to go out and clean/ride.

Plus I don't want the cost of maintaining them if I am not using them. horses are too big to have as "pets" on our income. If we have them, I ride and enjoy them.

Should I: sell them? (it would break my heart!)

lease them (fat chance! who would want them and how would I find someone!)

keep them (major problem for my husband with his available time)

PLEASE - those of you who have been in this situation, tell me how you have handled it and what you think I should do that would be best for me and the horses...
[Frown]

Maybe you could find a high school girl or boy who would like to help you out by cleaning and riding while you are expecting? I had always had horses, but when I got married I couldn't have them for a while. I got married, went to college, and had my 2 children, when my son son was about a year old I think or maybe older I went to OK and go a horse. So I guess what I am saying is that whatever works for you. The one good thing about horses you can usually find you a really good one again. These are just some suggestions for you. Good Luck!!! My 2 kids are away at college now, and it gets reather lonesome for us.