Tuffy2712

Indiana Trail Chat

okay meg, I'm going to tell you my story....no flaming from anyone please, this is my opinion and I'm entitled.

Hubby & I are 27, been together for almost 10 yrs. I've been dead-set against having kids up until this year. Hubby wants more than I. I toyed with the idea for a bit, but I've come to the conclusion that I can't give up my horses and riding time. Call me selfish, I already know this. But I just can't, yeah its only 9 mos. (of no riding) but I still can't do it. I'm really not even ready yet, don't think I ever will be. The only reason I toyed with the idea is cuz were getting older. And I dont feel like bringing something so permanent into this world if I dont want it with all my heart.

I understand many of you on here have children and thats fine. And you all say "oh they're so wonderful, once you have one....." But for me its getting to that point. I enjoy my freedom way tooo much. Hubby doesnt want to make me do something that I'm not fully into, so he doesnt press the issue. (thats why I love him)

Now I know when I'm 60 and can't ride anymore I'll look back with regret for not having any....then again I might not. Sorry if this has struck a nerve with anyone but its how I feel. Besides the world seems like its going to pot, why bring something like a precious baby into it!!

P.S Meg-my hubby is a non-rider to, so I'd be in the same situation.

Well, I don't have kids, I'm just turning 20 this weekend, but I would try to lease them to someone so they could enjoy riding them, and take care of them. Also, did you say before that you lived in Washington? I could look around to see if anyone is interested. You could also, put up flyers (sp?) in feed stores, the vet office, etc. that's where I always look for stuff.

Tuffy- I have felt that way for a long time. I really don't think that I want to have kids. I couldn't give up my horses, and there are so many kids that could be adopted, I would rather adopt if I decided to.

(nothing against everyone who has kids, just not for me)

Oh yeah, this is a little off topic, ok alot off topic, but I got to RIDE today! It's been so long since I'd ridden. I think honestly I was a little worried about how Tank would do outside of the arena so I used the "too muddy" card for awhile. [Roll Eyes] But I got over that and took him in the pasture and he did pretty good! [Yay] ok that's all

Nichole

[ 12-04-2007, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: equine_luver5008 ]

Ru- I might look into the local 4-H club and see if anyone wants to lease a horse or two for the upcoming spring. Might be a good idea...

Tuffy - ALOT of what you said, I feel the same. I am 30 and we have waited 7 (almost ) years to start a family. The main reason was to get more financially secure. We both finished our Masters Degress, bought land, built house and barn, saved up emergency money, etc. Now we feel secure enough to start a family, but I am so TORN! I AM selfish when it comes to certain things. I am willing to give up the horses to have a child, BUT it will be EXTREMELY difficult and I don't want to get a few years down the road and regret getting out of it, even if for a short period of time.

Equine- maybe i should look into leasing first. I just don't know much about leasing and am concerned about the welfare of my horses while out of my care...

We'll just have to try different ideas and see what comes from it....

Thanks for listening everyone! [Huggy]

Meg, at least your willing! I'm not willing at all! I figure if God wants me to have one he will bless me with it wether I'm on birth control or not. But if its up to me, it aint gonna happen! lol

Each person has the right to make their own decisions on weather to start a family or not. It is not my right to judge another person. I just know that I wouldn't trade my kids for the world. I didn't have kids until I was 27 and 30. So I knew what I wanted and didn't want. Yes I was unable to ride for a while, but I still kept them, because I am selfish in that area. Now my kids are gone and I have all the time in the world to ride and do whatever I want, I think I made the right decision for me. You are the one that has to make your own decision, and you still will have regrets down the road that is just life. But what ever you decide I am sure it will be the right decision for you!!! I am going to get to ride next week, my old mare won't know what to think. I am going to pull to the YRR and ride down there before the holidays, then after the new year look out, we will be getting legged up and ready to go!!!

Sorry guys. It's the Yellow Rose Ranch, It is a riding and boarding facility at Winslow or close to there. They have an indoor riding arena that we all use to ride in during the winter months to keep our horses on shape. They also put on horse shows there. It's a great place to ride at.

They charge $5 per person, and $5 per horse, which I don't think is bad at all, you can ride as long as you want. A bunch of us are planning on going over there on New Year's Day and get our riding fix in. That way we stay out of trouble New Year's Eve!!! LOL!!! Try to come and we can meet up there!!!

Winslow is only 30 minutes from me.... if the weather is okay I just might do that! It would be fun to meet.

Equine, I could pick you up along the way if you wanted to go - I would go thru Petersburg....

That would be cool. Tank's not really ready to move out of the pasture yet though. That would be cool sometime though.

We go to YRR occasionally and watch the barrels and poles, it's fun.

[ 12-07-2007, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: equine_luver5008 ]

No such luck here - I teach and been hoping for something freezing, so we could have a delay. Rain, rain, and more rain. My horses have been staying in their stalls most of the day. I have only seen them out when it stopped raining for a bit this afternoon. I might have to swim to work tomorrow! [Crazy]

Been warm enough to ride, but the amount of rain has made it impossible!

Be careful up north. I've heard you guys have gotten snow and freezing rain.

That would be cool to meet up with you guys, get a jump start on the meeting of each other. I can't wait!!! I had to to Indy this weekend and spend it with my daughter, not that I am complaining, it was great. She turned 22 yesterday. My son was there also. So we had a great time.

Now I have to get the stalls cleaned out tonight and all that good stuff. I had someone come in and take care of the horses, but they didnt' get the stalls picked, so tonight I get to stip them and put in fresh dust and make them happy. I want to get them brushed and start blanketing my mare so she dosn't get really hairy. I just like her to look nice all the time.

Later all.

mama ruru- Your daughter and I share the same birthday! I turned 20 yesterday. It was great, I had a couple friends over and we watched the Colts whip the Ravens!

Our horses are crazy. With all this rain, you'd think they would be in the lean-to, but they stand in the rain all day. [Crazy]

Boy, what a sad day for me.......My farrier is married to my vet and I just found out they're moving to Montana in a couple of months. [Me Cry] I'm happy for them, but sad for me! The vet, I'm not to worried about. Its the farrier, that worries me.....(sigh) the good ones just dont stick around!

quote:

Originally posted by equine_luver5008:

mama ruru- Your daughter and I share the same birthday! I turned 20 yesterday. It was great, I had a couple friends over and we watched the Colts whip the Ravens!

Our horses are crazy. With all this rain, you'd think they would be in the lean-to, but they stand in the rain all day.
[Crazy]

Well you must be a pretty special young lady, I know my daughter is!!! My horses are in their stalls, we let them out in the alley way when we clean the stalls, one of us picks the stall and the other one runs a brush over them to keep them kinda clean!!!

quote:

Originally posted by EmmysRider:

Mama Ru Ru-I saw they have YRR for sale, have they sold it or decided not to?

I think he will always have it for sale, but in the mean time, he is still putting on shows, boarding and giving lessons, I sure don't want to see him go, I really like that place.

quote:

Originally posted by Tuffy2712:

Boy, what a sad day for me.......My farrier is married to my vet and I just found out they're moving to Montana in a couple of months.
[Me Cry]
I'm happy for them, but sad for me! The vet, I'm not to worried about. Its the farrier, that worries me.....(sigh) the good ones just dont stick around!

Wow!!! What a bummer, who is your vet and farrier if I may ask? I am looking to take a horse over to Vincennes to a vet over there, I hope it isn't him until I can get him to see this horse!!!

I am in a pretty good mood, even though I have lost my voice and feel like crap!!! I guess it was from too much partying this weekend with my daughter and everyone.

My son is home from college, he goes to VU by the way, and he is stripping and cleaning the stalls for me today!!! I am so excited!!! Doesn't take much to make me happy. Then he told me I really needed to get them cleaned up and trimmed, they looked really woolly!!! He is such a character!!!

Later Everyone!!! Have a Great Day!!!

Well thank you [Embarrassed][big Grin] Sorry about your voice, but at least it was from having fun! I have a friend in the nursing program in VU. What is your son studying?

So sorry about your vet and farrier Tuffy it's hard to keep the good ones.

We use the vet in Princeton for small stuff and haul to Evansville to DR. Stone for more important things.

[ 12-11-2007, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: equine_luver5008 ]

You're welcome Equine. My son is studying Physical Education right now, but he thinks he wants to get into special education. I think he will make a great teacher but hey I am his mom so I would think that. He is really involved in a lot of intermural sports and things like that. He comes home every weekend, I think that is so I can do his laundery. HeHe!!!

That's great! My brother has down syndrome, and we homeschool so I've had a little experience there. I have epilepsy and can't go to college full time, so I help out here with my brother. My parents and I would like to eventually open a therapeutic riding center here.

Hey equine, I think that would be great to have a riding center. We have one here called Freedom Reins, they do great work with the kids. I don't know how many are involved with it, I do know that they have a lot of volunteers.

I've been on their website before. I would really like to volunteer at a place like that, so I could see what it would be like. I thought about trying to go to Jasper and volunteer, but it's about an hour away. I think I'm going to try to find somewhere closer, or try to volunteer in Jasper occasionally, when the gas prices allow it.

[ 12-12-2007, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: equine_luver5008 ]