Sign in to follow this  
mocha_03

*critique*

This is a TWH mare I just started working with... She looks more well groomed and parks better now but anyway... Just tell me what you think [big Grin]-

-

Actually any horse that "parks out" when standing should have it's hind legs back and it's front feet perpendicular to the ground or only slightly ahead which levels the topline. They aren't suppose to resemble a bridge with their backs swayed.

Saddlebred halter stance -

quote:

Originally posted by kwooten:

good god, I'm so glad I don't need to raise a whip to my horse's head to make her stand funny.

Kate

I'm sorry, but that is a statement formed out of ignorance. My first showing experiences in the ring were in Arabian halter. You NEVER NEVER NEVER actually hit the horse with the whip -- that would defeat the purpose of it, which is to give the horse a target to reach for with their head and neck. You're not allowed to touch the horse anyways (with hand OR whip), so it's not there to be afraid of. You use it to give the horse something to reach for, to stretch for, to elongate the neck and torso.

Thanks for knowing what you're looking at BlueRibbonHunter and RansomandT. Nobody ever hits any of my horses in the face! Do that once and none of my horses would ever want to stand and stretch over their front end like this with ears up, neck arched up, and top line level. With the whip held like this it's possible nd sometimes necessary to come in with the butt end and just touch their nose and then draw it back over one's shoulder so the horse follows it by reaching forward into this pose.

Different world I guess. Same thing with the built-up pads and fetlock chains on TWHs. It's not 'harsh', it's just what people need to do to get the horse to perform like that.

quote:

good god, I'm so glad I don't need to raise a whip to my horse's head to make her stand funny.

Kate

HAHA yes, that horse certainly looks terrified of that horrible whip...And before you start going on about the horrors of TWH and SB showing, remember there are skeletons in every discipline?s closet.

Moonlit, she's adorable. Hope she's doing well for you.

And your point is Kwooten? This horse isn't a TWH. Note the absence of any such pad/shoeing on this mare. She happens to be wearing, and always does, plain ole every day horse shoes with just an extra 1/4" of hoof length. In fact, this Saddlbred mare has plain ole shoes on too (that's dirt around the bottom of her feet).

-

quote:

Originally posted by BlueRibbonHunter2002:

quote:

Kate

I'm sorry, but that is a statement formed out of ignorance. My first showing experiences in the ring were in Arabian halter. You NEVER NEVER NEVER actually hit the horse with the whip -- that would defeat the purpose of it, which is to give the horse a target to reach for with their head and neck. You're not allowed to touch the horse anyways (with hand OR whip), so it's not there to be afraid of. You use it to give the horse something to reach for, to stretch for, to elongate the neck and torso.

ditto to BlueRibbonHunter2002