Sign in to follow this  
frannie

*Critque this please!

ok I ammit I dont ride saddleseat. But I do park out Promise. I have a pic of him and I was wondering if you saddleseat people could tell me how it looks.

-

Just the horse not me. lol i was caught at a bad time for the pic. I had my swim suit on under my shirt and shorts because I gave him a bath earlier. oops

Thanks!

Nice stance. Hind legs are a bit too far behind but that looks like where they need to be to level the topline. However, if you step back farther away from the horse and raise your hand with the lead up much higher you might get a better stretch as well has more arch in the neck and the ears up too; then you would need to get the hind legs a bit more forward. Horse has high withers and I am wondering if he's not a bit low in the back? No offense meant by that, I have a gelding that is high withered and a bit low backed.

So what do you do with this nice horse? My gelding does Country Western Pleasure and the Pinto mare I have shown in another post on this forum my daughter shows Hunter Pleasure, Country Western Pleasure and Open Pleasure Driving with.

it looks pretty good, the only thing i'd say to do is maybe to work on streching his front legs out a little bit further, but not a whole lot. Do you show him in anything?

Peppy...you never want to stretch the front legs out in front. They should be perpendicular to the ground or only slightly in front of that. The last thing you want your horse to resemble when parked is a bridge! When stood up from the ground you actually want the horse stretched up and over the front legs without them ending up past vertical; under saddle you still want those front legs as close to straight up and down as possible. It doesn't matter if it's a Morgan, Saddlebred or TWH.

Laura S and Peppy -I just got him so I am kinda playing around with him to see what he likes. I am pony clubbing with him and i want to make him a jumper. By the way the pic wasn't when we were quite finished lol

LauraS - I wasn't meaning that the front legs needed to be streched out alot from where they are now, just a little bit, you wnat the front legs to be slightly steched, but not like just straight down. Do you know what i mean?

Yes Peppy...I knew what you meant. I much prefer them straight up and down when stood up for halter (I want them stretched up and over their front end without going past the vertical) and never more than just slightly forward when parked under saddle. These are 2 of my horses and I wouldn't want either one of them to have their front legs any farther forward than they are. The Pinto mare can really stretch up and over when she's so inclined. The chestnut mare automatically parks herself whenever you ask her to halt...which my daughter did for dismounting. But really, it's all just a matter of personal preference [smile]

-

-

I like the stretch and higher head better but the front legs are almost but not quite past vertical (can't complain though) and it's hard to see but it almost looks like you're holding your horse's head up. Try to get your horse to arch up and then reach for you so there's a nice curve in the throat latch. My daughter was reaching for the Pinto mare but normally she's standing further back with some backward tension on the reins and holding something like a peppermint to entice her with :)Have fun with that nice horse!

Are you walking your horse foward into park or setting him up by backing his hind legs into place first?

i think the first picture looked better, like i said before, he needs to strech his front legs out further so they are just slightly past verticle. also it looks like his head is being pulled up by you, he should probably have like a more natural head set, but it needs to be high.

peppy i dont know why u keep telling her her horses front legs need to be more streached forward because they dont u want them straight underneth themself! and he looks good try not to overstreach the back legs. good luck with whatever you do with him. very pretty!

VERY nice horse Frannie and I am COMPLETELY jealous of the scenery!!

As LauraS and SaddleseatQueen have said you want your horses front leg perpedicular to the ground and his hing legs stretch out behind him wherever it makes his topline level...he is perfect in the first picture as far as leg placement. If you can get his head up (I usually jerk the leadrope once quickly and that usually does it) then get him to stretch and reach forward he WOULD be perfect. Plus getting his head higher would hind the dip just in front of his withers where his neck ties in. Look at the pinto mare LauraS posted...she would be perfectly parked out if her handler were to step back and allow the mare to reach just a bit more.

Peppy...Ideally a horse in park should never has his front legs just in front of him...this is OK and most likely wouldn't get dinged for it but if you want perfection a horse in park should be "centered" over his front legs!