Sign in to follow this  
czarsmom

So Many Questions, So Few Resources

I have been having so much trouble finding any resources for saddle seat riding! I could only find 3 places on line that sell saddle seat tack and show clothing-Hartmeyers,Show Stopper, and Victory Pass. I have so many questions about the sport and can't find any info on line to get the answers (and i don't want to call my trainer every time I think of a question in the middle of the night!)I was hoping some of you could help.

1.) Are there any other SS tack retailers on the net?

2.) Am I supposed to wear a derby or a top hat to show in? Is it like dressage where top hats are only allowed at the upper level competitions?

3.) Am I supposed to use a colored brow band instead of my all black dressage bridle?

4.) Is my horse (arab cross-no papers) supposed to be presented with a braided mane with the ribbon like the saddlebreds or is his mane and forelock supposed to be left free? Can I show him with his mane in the diamond pattern like I used at the hunter show?

5.) Am I supposed to use a shaped white pad or no pad at all under my saddle?

6.)What is the current style of dress for ladies? Saddle suits or day coats?

7.)are there any organizations or clubs for saddle seat riders (remember, my horse is only part arabian, not a five gaited horse)who don't own walkers,trotters or saddlebreds?

Sorry so long, but I am just breaking into the sport and I want all the information I can get!

Retailers on the net? Can't think of any, but go out to Trot.org. Lots of nice saddleseat stuff for reasonable-including suits and day coats. Matter of fact, I sold a saddle once there.

Hat-Derby acceptable-top hat at the Nationals for evening or equitation.

You can get by in the dressage bridle-but if your showing in a double bridle-most use the colored bands. Mane & tail left unbraided, no ribbons. White pad. Either saddlesuit or daycoat. If you're starting out, dark colors work best.

If your horse is not registered, I'd look into your local clubs thru your trainer. AHA has shows but the horse would have to have papers to show.

Hope all this helps.

Thankyou! That does help a great deal. I have been specifically looking for a white web girth and they are hard to find (I don't want to use vinyl). i'll check out that site you mentioned. My trainer is going to have me try on her saddle suits to see if they fit-if so I'll borrow hers. With a little luck, all I'll have to buy is the derby.

hi there,

lets see, i've been riding saddleseat for years and competing so maybe i can be of some help too...

1-yes! there are a couple really good ones, you just gotta know where to look...like world champion horse equipment...good quality stuff! they're site is: ehorseequipment.com then there is also bennetts tack,just google them and it will pop up. then there's fennells.com also. they all have really nice stuff!

2-derby is informal and top hat is formal. you can wear a derby with your saddlesuit or combo BUT you can only wear a top hat either in a championship or after 6pm at a show, but most local shows don't worry about it because you have to wear formal atire (cumberbum,bow tie,etc)with it anyways, so i'd just stick with a nice saddlesuit or day coat and jods and a derby.

3-it is "appropriate" to use a colored browband. and of course in saddleseat you have to have a double bridle, unless you're just at a schooling show,where you can use a snaffle,but full bridle is preffered wherever you are. they do not allow flash nosebands or anything like that in saddleseat.

4-MANE/FORLEOCK AND TAIL LEFT FREE! never ever braid in a saddleseat class, it's a hunter thing. no diamond patterns, no braiding/tying or anything like that. but you also don't want the forelock to be flying around. just take some electrical tape, or a small rubberband that matches your horses mane color and tie it and then put it underneath the browband and to the side so it doesn;t fly everywhere.

5-NO WHITE PAD!!!!!! that would stick out way too much an is mostly used in hunter classes. in a real saddleseat class you would either use a black pad,but it should be shaped so you cannot see it around the saddle,or no pad at all, depending on your horses back , there are black gel pads or just tacky pads which keep the saddle from slipping that are appropriate.a white vinyl girth is recommended but in lower-level shows you can usually get by with a web girth. try some of the hunter websites, i know they sell webbed girths.

6-the most common style you will see is either a nice solid color saddlesuit that compliments your horse. OR if you want to stand out a little more, something more colorful like a pair of black jods with a nicely colored daycoat, but if you're just starting out it's usually easier to get a suit then go crazy with a bunch of different coats. but stay conservative with the suits, it's tacky to see a bright red, or something else like that in a lower level show. now, if you would be riding a big bold world champion park saddle horse, it's pretty cool to stand out of the crowd, but remember it's always easier to blend in and stand out by accentuating your suit with a pin, or a nicely colored vest or tie.

7-i personally don't know of any clubs that allow non-registered horses in,most are breed specific. but there are half arabian clubs i know that for a fact, just check it out on the net, i'll try to look for some too.

hope this helped at least a little bit. if youhave any further questions, ask away! that's what we're here for!

Christina

Thanks Christina! I have been going nuts looking for tack and apparrell sites! Czar came to me without papers so all I have to prove that he is part arab are his looks and his attitude! hee hee. I will be showing in local open shows among mostly hunt seat riders. At the last show I attended, there was ONE saddle seat rider. I like to march to a different drummer so to speak, so riding in this style is right up my alley! (I am such a non-conformist). I'm sure we will be discriminated against next to all the hunt seat riders-I saw it happen at the show I just mentioned. The saddleseat rider should have won the open equitation class, but she was completely overlooked. My trainer told me that trying to ride Czar as a hunter is like trying to bang a square peg into a round hole, but if I am willing to open my mind and try him at saddleseat she believes he will really shine. So here I am embarking on the adventure of learning something completely foreign to me. I am really gung ho about this and Czar is enjoying it too! I just don't understand why it isn't as popular as hunt seat as an english style discipline??

Schneiders Saddlery

They cater to the Arab & QH industry and have TONS of good stuff for training & showing in saddleseat, halter, hunter & western pleasure. They work closely with Arab trainers and carry tack with the trainer names on it. Folks like LaCroix, Bob Hart, and a few more. And their prices are not that bad either.

Libertyville Saddle Shop is also another resource for saddleseat.

You can also find a lot of information on showing at the Arab website.

IAHA

While your horse may not be registered, you can still find out what's expected.

Underfire--sounds as though congratulations are in order with the Imposter. What breed? Good answers about saddleseat tack.

Czar's Mom--I don't know the difference! FYI, three-gaited Saddlebreds (walk, trot, canter) have a roached mane and forelock, to show off their dainty necks and clean throatlatches. I don't know of any such requirements for other breeds, though.

czarsmom! In a roadhack class, I believe, the horse goes very, very fast at the trot only. There is no cantering. It is an awesome class to watch and you hear people whistling and stomping and everything to make the horse go faster. This horse of course must also be able to walk.

actually, what you're thinking of is called roadster. road hack,is a class where you do walk,extended walk, trot, estended trot, canter, hand gallop ,stop, and then walk off on a loose rein. it's kind of to see how well you're horse listens,etc.

For a list of tack shops and clothing dealers go to asha.net and go to links. They have every saddleseat link! As for top hats and derbys. You only wear the top hats past 6 pm and you can wear the derby during the day and night. Depends on what classes you do. I would by a red browband, it's more saddleseaty..lol There are tack shops like showstoppers that sell saddle pad in the shape of a cutback, but you don't need to use a saddlepad at all, it's your choice. Day coats and suits are both in right now. If your not sure what to go with, get a matching suit (coat, jods) because it will never "go out". Is your horse a NSH? There is a half -arab organization and NSH. Hope I could help. [Wink]

UnderFire's right about road horses only trotting. Not the same as road hacks. Roadsters are usually Standardbreds, but one of the best was Dr. J, a Morgan. Quite a few crosses--Saddlebred and something else. The roadster World Championships are held every year at the Kentucky State Fair along with the Saddlebred World's Champions. They compete under saddle (the riders wear silks like a jockey's), "to bike," which I think is similar to the kind Standardbreds pull, and "to wagon," which is a really fun class, because the "wagon" is supposed to be the kind that a country doctor would have used. I also think it's an appointment class, because sometimes the judge will ask the driver to produce his bottle of hooch, and he better have one! These classes are great to watch because those big old four-wheel wagons creak and the drivers are practically sitting on the outside wheels when they slew around turns.