Sign in to follow this  
little_mom52

My new saddlebred mare, Jane

I am going to try to ride saddleseat. I have never ridden in it before but it looks like fun and with my saddlebred being shown before, she should go good with it. I found her at a feedlot with over a hundred horses, thats why she has the bite marks on her but its all gone now. Shes 15 yrs old and trained in dressage too. I love the saddlebreds and their sweet nature and lively spirit!

-

Anyone know this horse?

I wish i could find out some info on her. I traded my mustang for her. The girl that sold her to me, her husband is a horseshoer and she bought the mare from one of their clients. She didnt get the papers on her though so i have no idea of who she is or her breeding. She is from somewhere around the Brookfield, NY area. The girl i got her from wont tell me who she purchased her from because she respects their clients privacy. All i know is that she was supposed to have been shown sucessfully a lot in the past and that she is trained for dressage, country pleasure and was a lesson horse for saddleseat. It would be nice to know more about her, if shes had any foals and if those foals every had a good show record. I dont even know if shes a three gaited or five gaited cause i havent ridden her enough yet to tell. She is feisty and very smart. She hasnt been ridden much in the past few years and right now shes protesting being ridden again and testing me. She is finding out now that she cant get away with this stuff and is beginning to settle down and ride good for me. She isnt really dangerous or anything but she thinks if she jumps around and acts up that ill get off and put her away. It doesnt work with me, i keep her going forward till she gives up her antics. Thats what i mean about her being very smart!

Your mare is lovely.

Would the shoer provide the horses name or number so you can apply for her papers?

The horseshoer didnt get that info or at least they say they didnt. They only told me she was named Jane and they say she was born in May of 1991. It would seem that in order to tell me her age, they must have talked to the orginal owners of her. Why she didnt get the papers, i have no idea. They say they have no idea of her registered name, but they did know that she had been shown a lot in both country pleasure and dressage.

Hi Judith--and congratulations! She's a very pretty mare. Does she have a flaxen mane? She looks like a liver chestnut, and Saddlebreds often have a flaxen mane if they're liver chestnuts.

Would you be willing to pay the original owners more if you could get the mare's papers? Usually when people sell a mare without papers, it's either because they don't want her to have foals (for whatever reason), or they're just trying to get rid of the horse quick and cheap. Do you know if the original owners bred the mare themselves or bought her from some other part of the country?

No, she does not have a flaxen mane but a kind of reddish one. She is a liver chestnut though. She has darkened a little since this pic was taken. Her bite marks have grown back in but they are a little lighter in color although not white. I sure hope she sheds out in all one color in the spring and that those bite marks dont stay lighter than the rest of her. I was not given a reason as to why the papers werent included with her, only that they didnt receive them. She was for sale for 1400.00 but i traded a beautiful palomino mustang mare for her even even. Im not really worried about her papers but it would be nice to know who she is and what her record is in showing. All i know is that she was born in May of 1991. I dont know if she was originally raised in NY or somewhere else and shipped here. If i could find out who owned her here in NY, then they would probably tell me more about her. But i can understand the people i bought her from not telling me to respect their privacy. She is advertised as a champion in dressage, lesson horse, country pleasure, and equitation and i can tell she really knows her stuff. I hope to show her in a couple local open shows this summer after shes tuned up again.

She really got chewed on, didn't she? Poor girl--I hope the bite marks don't scar too! In the bigger shows there are 3-gaited country pleasure and 5-gaited country pleasure. You'll have to double-check me on this, but I think in the pleasure division all the horses are shown with natural mane and tail whether 3 or 5-gaited.