Sign in to follow this  
czarsmom

How Do You Do It?

How do you manage to maintain your leg position in those lane fox style saddles???? I tried one the other day (granted, it was a cheap no name brand) and I had to struggle to keep my legs in the proper position...they kept trying to slide forwards on the slippery leather! I am used to riding in my dressage saddle which gives my legs something to hang on to. Seriously, how do you do this?????

LOL

NO STURRIP(sp)WORK... Man does it do wounders! lol...Im sure if you kept doing it, it would be really easy...What about you guys..I mean you ride in really long sturrips and can still post, haha..That might be hard to me.

I guess I am used to the long stirrups at this point, but there was a time when I felt like I was losing them every other stride! Here's another dumb question for you: The saddle I tried out didn't have the little straps to tuck the excess stirrup leather under. I noticed that most of the ss show saddles that I was looking at didn't have them either. What do you do with the excess stirrup leather to keep it tucked out of the way????

Yea most dont.

I usally just mount and pull it back a little. like ill have it alined up with the rest of it then move that part back a little, so its not digging into my knee. It stays in place really good actually. Its just like a saddle that has one, but it doesnt..lol if that makes any sence at all [Razz]

Absolutely--practice working with the stirrups crossed over his withers in front of your saddle. You'd be surprised how l-o-n-g your legs are. When you put your feet back in the irons you'll feel like you're riding hunt seat! [big Grin]

Also--this worked for me--when you do ride with stirrups at a trot or canter, remember that you have ankle bones, and let them be shock absorbers. (When I first switched to dressage I would ALWAYS lose my right stirrup at the canter.)

Most saddle seat competitors cut off excess stirrup leather.

[ 01-04-2007, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Joan Fry ]

I really like my jods that have the seude patches, they help me grip better. Also, you need to grip with your knees and point your toes in. Its totally different, huh? lol you'll start building muscle and it will get easier.