Sign in to follow this  
Twizzler

Arabian that won't keep her head down

This one Arabian that me and my friend ride won't keep her head down and doesn't like the side reins. For saddle seat is it good for there head to be up like that?

No she sticks her nose out. I think it is because she is sometimes used as a lesson horse, and the little kids mess her up. She also doesn't like the curb when it is on her. Can anybody help?

Then no, thats not the right headset for saddle seat...I ride lesson horses and they dont even point there noses(sp) out..Maybe shes sore? [Confused] Does her saddle fit her right? Talk to your(or your friends) trainer im sure he or she might know also.

Could be one of serveral reasons your horse doesn't or maybe even can't set her head. Sore in the poll, needs dental work, wrong bit(s), not being ridden into the bit correctly from the seat & leg, or her conformation in the poll and/or neck and/or shoulder make it impossible for her to carry her head up and chin in. Try ground driving, pushing her into the bit with just enough over or side check to keep her from diving down too far and experiment the using your long lines as draw reins (snaps fastened to center ring of surcingle with reins passing through the bit and thru the surcingle rings that should be about half way between the top ring and the side rings normally used with side reins. Can also try bitting her up lightly and not trying to force her head up and her nose in...this can be done gradually while working in a small paddock or round pen. Never do either exercise for more than 10 minutes or so at a time and work up slowly to maybe 20 minutes max. One last suggestion would be to take her out of a full double bridle or pelham, put her in a nice medium snaffle with 2 sets of reins. One set you would ride off like you would your snaffle rein in a double bridle and the other run thru a running martingate and used like your curb rein. Or, try a snaffle and german martingale for awhile. Never force, gradully work on building her up to allow her to carry herself comfortably in a more elevated but relaxed position.Hope this makes sense.

She sounds like Czar. Older horse that has been ridden improperly for years and dev. the wrong muscles and now has to relearn the correct way to carry himself. That's why we had to do all the work in the dreaded controversial draw reins. Without a trainer who knows how to use them I wouldn't try them because they are very dangerous if used incorrectly and they can really tick the horse off and get you killed even if you do know what you are doing. My horse is a bully and when he has temper tantrums you gotta know how to use some real finesse with them. I have some great video footage of my last lesson where Czar-zilla was showing how much of a bully he can be. You can see how he still likes to fling that head around sometimes when he isn't getting his own way. Now it's more of a learned behavior that he reverts to when his temper gets out of control. [Crazy]

WEll where I take my lessons at is where she use to be. And where she is at know is the lady who gives me lessons sister. Anyway when she was at Beth's (where I take my lessons) Some one took her over a 2' jump without warming her up first. When she went over the jump she fell and tour one o her tendents in her back left leg. So Beth and Alisa (the 2 sisters) Traded horse since she couldn't use Nikki (the Arabian) for jumping any more. So when we got her she hadn't been ridden in...God knows how long. We basically had to reteach her everything. She had known saddle seat but from not been riden in forever she was use to doing what she wanted. We got her to Alisas last Spring she is doing really well, but like a normal Arabian she doesn't want to drop her head for hunt seat. So we are STILL trying to teach her that. So we will try some of your guys ideas and hope they work. THANKS! [big Grin][big Grin]

You can get an Arab to drop its head..Maybe you should have your trainer help you more with this. I know you said you were just getting back into riding anyways..Not trying to sound mean here.

Well there are youndger kid's on her that DO NOT know how to ride. They let her get away with every thing. But during the summer my friend leases her so we are going to work with her more.