Sign in to follow this  
czarsmom

First show Sunday -UPDATE

Okay, Sunday is my very first time showing saddle seat in the first show of our club's season. I am already shaking thinking about it. It is only the third time I have taken Czar to a show. It's my husband's debut with his horse too. We will be showing in the same classes together (adult open walk/trot division). He will be riding western. We have no idea how his horse is going to handle the show atmosphere and frankly it is making us a bit anxious because his horse can be more of a handful than mine! I know that we both have to chill or the horses are going to feed off our emotions.

Anyway, Czar has been doing fairly well transitioning off the draw reins to the pelham surprisingly. I'm learning that in order to get the most cooperation out of him, I need to lunge him before I ride him every time. Man, for an older horse he sure has a tremendous store house of energy! I wish I could tap into it for my own purposes. The chiro came and checked him and didn't find anything really wrong with him except some chronic mild soreness in his deep low back muscles from all the inverting he did over the years (no surprise). So I am just continuing on with massaging him like always and doing his belly lifts and working on getting him to carry himself correctly. His saddle fit passed inspection-YAY-and all in all it would seem that his issues are just attitude related as he passed is vet exam too.

So, the show is Sunday. We probably aren't as prepared as we could be since the winter kept our training time down to the bare minimum, but it will be a good starting point. Hopefully my hubby's horse won't go nuclear and end the show season for us in one day. I'm hoping that Czar is in his "look how pretty I am" mood that day and behaves himself. And most of all I hope I don't panic and blank out and forget which diagonal I am supposed to be on or ride in the wrong direction or something else totally stupid. Ok-end of ramble. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest since no one else I know will listen to a horse related tangent. [Razz]

[ 05-06-2007, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: czarsmom ]

Well, my husbands horse ended up surprising all of us and doing great! My horse, on the other hand, was completely unnerved. He was wound tighter than a sausage. He refused all but one of the trail obstacles, he refused to move forwards when I first brought him into the practice ring, he tried to spin and buck and even tried a half hearted levade! There were 27 riders in each of my classes. He was pretty good for eq and pleasure, but we didn't place. All in all, my instructor was happy with the way I handled myself . Oh yea, I forget the best part: When I was mounting up to go into the practice ring right before my classes were called, I split my pants open! It was so bad that I almost ended up with two seperate pant legs! [ROTFL] Did I mention that I had borrowed my instructor's saddle suit which is about 20 years old and had been sitting in her closet for about 4 years??????? I spent most of this evening sewing up and reinforcing the seams. Her best piece of advice to me was "POST LOW! and next time wear black underwear"

Oh my--you don't do things half-heartedly, do you? Love the black underwear suggestion! So you survived the buck and spin part and you can't wait for the next show, am I right? [big Grin]

P.S. Not sure about the levade, but most ASBs are very good at the passage and piaffe. (Prim's response when surrounded by small children.)

Oh, "it's on" now. The gloves are coming off. The score is Horse =1, Rider=0. This means war. I overheard a couple of riders talking about Czar and I and warning each other to "stay away from that crazy horse" [Embarrassed] Do they have a special color tail ribbon for crazy? He isn't a kicker so red isn't really appropriate. How about tye dye??? And why do spectators with babies in strollers crowd around the in-gate at a horse show and park their occupied strollers amongst the hooves?? I found that disturbing. Oddly enough, Czar doens't mind baby strollers. He does, however, HATE other horses crowding up his butt and around him at the in gate. He gets very claustrophobic. Thus the crazy horse comment from the girls that were riding their horses up our flanks and freaking him out.