Sign in to follow this  
Foxie Roxie

Standardbreds for saddleseat

Hello, I've never posted on here before I mostly do dressage and jumping but I have a Standardbred and I was wondering if I could do saddleseat on her. Are there specific breeds that you have to have to show saddleseat with. I have a saddleseat saddle that I can use and I was thinking about showing her in some local 4-H shows, mostly so I can get my 4th level in 4-H.(you have to learn a bunch of different disiplines)It would only be pleasure classes.

Also, I have a question about saddleseat showmanship. Is it that different from hunter showmanship? I may be able to get a couple lessons also. So I was just wondering if I could do saddleseat pleasure and showmanship with my standardbred mare. Any information would be highly appreciated.

At saddlebred shows you can show her in the Road Horse Division in a cart, if she is a registered standardbred, and broke to drive, and not a pacer. I desparately want a road horse.

And yes you can ride/show her in Saddleseat. My first Saddleseat "show horse" was a quarter horse. I belive that many open shows have all breed saddleseat classes.

I don't know much about hunt seat, so I can't tell you about the differences, but I would strongly suggest getting lessons from a good instructor.

as far as the showmanship goes, its pretty much the same thing as hunt seat. people usually show in a double bridle for it though, with the snaffle rein over the horses neck and just using the curb to control the horse. in since most saddleseat horses are morgans, saddlebreds, and arabs they usually have them stand according to the breed standard (parking out, etc.) as opposed to squaring up. i dont know much about if standardbreds have a special stand, but i think its just for the horses breed standard.

i hope that helped [smile] !

Actually we(and this might just be saddlebreds or maybe just me), use the snaffle to control the horse, and the curb to set the head.(well they work in concert but you put more pressure on the snaffle than you would the curb) You BARELY touch the curb. I've had horses that would rear if you used too much curb. You don't want it flopping, but it is not your steering wheel. I will go consult my books for a better description on "hand/rein management". I don't plan on riding any time soon, else I would go pysically see about it myself.

But yes, thanks. I forgot about the whole double bridle thing. Even at a lot of the open shows I go to, you cannot ride in a snaffle bridle with a martingale, you have to ride in a double bridle.

Here is a good picture of a little mare my dad showed a year or two ago. It shows the bridle very well.

-

Most standies prefer to trot over pace when going slower speeds.

Here are some tips for retraining.

http://www.standardbredhorse.com/tips.htm

My husband has his old race horse. He does a running walk. Which my husband loves.

Standies will usually take to gait trainig fairly easy as far as I know. They are desecendent of morgans, thoughroughbred, and a few other gaited horses.

Thanks for all your responses. But, I can show pleasure and showmanship with just a snaffle bit right? Alos, I have a question about girths. Looking at pictures I noticed that most of the girths used with saddleseat saddles are white. AT smaller shows does it matter what kind of girth I use? Can anyone tell me a website or something where I can get one of those girths? Thanks.