Sign in to follow this  
rubydoo248

headset

I have a morgan that used to be a western pleasure horse, lived out in the field, and now I have her in saddleseat. She is awesome at it, has totally the right attitude, action, everything! Besides head set. She carries her head high, but nose out. She can get it in though, and when she does it looks beautiful. I try riding her a lot on the curb, shes really sassy and doesn't so much like the snaffle, she tries to pull on me etc. (weird I know most horses hate the curb) but was wondering: what do you guys ride your horses in on a daily basis to keep their noses in? and any tips? I'm also on equestrian team (and want to try morgan youth of the year next year [smile][smile] ) and would like to equitate her for patterns. How do I go about doing that? thanks!! [smile]

hey there! i show morgans too! and i do youth of the year, i won it at wheat state this year so ill be competeing at nationals this year too.

i dont show/ride saddle seat but i know a lot of ppl that ride 2 reins on one snaffle, connect one to a running martingale and hold the others like a normal snaffle. does that make sense? do you have any pictures? that would greatly help!

good luck! [Wink]

There are lots of things you can do to keep her head down!

First try doing a little left-right with your hands. Pull with your left hand until her nose comes in and then do the same thing with your right hand. I would say that is your best bet!

ps- It wouldn't let me see the pictures [Frown]

PIctures didnt work for me eather =/

But the horses i ride, are rode in a regural snaffel with 2 reins. One keeps there head in the right place, and the other keeps there nose in. But if she used to do Saddle Seat, try lightly pulling with the left rein then the right. I know with the horses i ride when you do that it brings there nose in. Good luck!

i cant see the pics! [Me Cry]

i wouldnt start the see sawing thing here. it can be a lasting problem, and just complicates things instead of fixing problems.no offense to those who suggested it, i just konw from experience its really hard to fix. try the martingale [Wink] .

as for YOTY i started doing it when i was still 13 &under. what region are you in? maybe i can get you a contact name so you can get some info &start participating!

thanks everyone!!

im really sad the pictures dont work just from the links, if you really want to see them i found out a way to get to them, its kind of long though.

if you go to frawgbyte.com there should be a link that says "linvingston county 4-H meet" on that page there is a drop down menu, the saddleseat pics are under english equiation and english pleasure. if you look in the links i posted, it will say something like IMG_"number here". those are the numbers of the pictures we are in.

im definately going to try the martingale. i used to ride at pretty much an all saddleseat morgan barn and knew they used something like that, but couldn't remember what exactly it was. unfortunately, my mare is really really hot and would probably throw me into a fence if i seasawed her, lol.

i live in michigan so im not sure what region that is, lol. i would be in 14-17, what kinds of patterns do they do for that?

perchlover07: hey im from michigan too! do you ride morgans?

optimisticm248 Yes i ride Morgans also!

What part of Michigan are you from, what barn do you ride at?

------------------

Oh shes a cutie!

[ 07-01-2007, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Perchlover07 ]

im from northville! i ride right now at a barn called rising star training center. its an all breed barn and mostly does hunt seat and western, but its really fun. i started out at showcase stables a while back, and then moved to old orchard with sandy sessink until she moved. i got my own horse, and am now at rising star! what about you?

quote:

Originally posted by optimisticm248:

im from northville! i ride right now at a barn called rising star training center. its an all breed barn and mostly does hunt seat and western, but its really fun. i started out at showcase stables a while back, and then moved to old orchard with sandy sessink until she moved. i got my own horse, and am now at rising star! what about you?

Oh wow your pretty close. I live In Livonia (about 20 mins or a little less away from Northville) and I ride at Showcase Stables! lol small world. I moved there in 05..i think. Do you have a Myspace or AIM?

thats so funny! haha, manly and thomas were always my favorites, i saw your pictures on the KOBB, did you show at all this winter? my barn went to one show in i think january, i showed hunt seat. it was my horses first show and my first one in a while, and she ran off like five times with me, lol. i remember like all the horses in your post, lol. i dont have a myspace, i mostly use facebook. my AIM is OPTIMISTIC M X3!

quote:

Originally posted by optimisticm248:

thats so funny! haha, manly and thomas were always my favorites, i saw your pictures on the KOBB, did you show at all this winter? my barn went to one show in i think january, i showed hunt seat. it was my horses first show and my first one in a while, and she ran off like five times with me, lol. i remember like all the horses in your post, lol. i dont have a myspace, i mostly use facebook. my AIM is OPTIMISTIC M X3!

Oh i know, i just love Manly and Thomas. Manly cracks me up sometimes lol. Hes like the youngerst horse at that barn, but hes the one who you really have to push to work [Razz] . And yes i did show during the winter, those were my first shows actually. It was alot of fun! Oh alright ill IM you some time...Mines Xmsbhaven07X (yea i sorta need to change that lol).

the first summer i had been riding, manly had been brought up from the lower barn for the day camps, and i remember he used to be kinda crazy! lol, then he mellowed out a little bit. i went to indiana charity with him and we came galloping into a walk-trot class. he was so cute [smile] !

lol, he has those days sometimes. Like he will get bursts of energy! lol. Hes been better though. I rememebr at a winter show he bucked off a girl. Everyone was like "Manly!" and i was just thinking "wow he can buck? [Razz] ". Never seen him do it before. He can be a goof sometimes!