Sign in to follow this  
barrel_dreamer

critique my painting and drawing please!

these are just some things i did a while ago but i know i need to get a lot better so if have anything to say, good or bad go ahead cus i need it!

also the picture of the horse may look dirty but thats because its just been sitting around the house.

-

-

thanks everyone!

All right, I'm going to critique you.

The drawing...shade it! Just coloring it in with your pencil is not shading if you want it to look realistic. You see on your painting, on the rosebud, you have values? How it varies from light to dark depending on where the light hits it and where it doesn't? That's GOOD, apply it to your pencil work! You'll get a lot more depth to your drawings and really make them POP that way. [smile] And be careful with the eyes; they're sort of buglike at this point. Remember horses don't have perfectly round eyes. [smile]

The rose is great! I love the texture (and values) on the bud, particularly the left side. It looks like you got lazy on the green parts though. If you want it to be realistic, remember, you won't find black streaks on roses [Razz]

You've got a good base going. So far I like your proportions on the horse. How old are you? How long have you been drawing?

I guess that's enough for you to work on for now. [smile] I'd love to see your next set and how you improve!

thanks a lot!!!right now i am 14 and i have been drawing since i can remember. i really get it from my mother, she is a great artist! on the rose i know the green is a bit sloppy but i didn't know how to make it so i just put in some lines [Embarrassed] well thanks a lot and i will try to make another drawing and post it

i agree put some shading into your pencil drawings it will give it more umpth lol (spelling on that) i love the rose bud looks very nice again with the green but id say you are pretty good at drawing.

I'm won't critique the painting, but as for the drawing, shading and blending will help alot. You can buy these things that look like a thick wooden pencil but just have some other material at the end that will help blend as well. (I know, that description was very helpful [Wink] ) If you can blend things in together just a little bit, then it will look more relistic, instead of seeing indevidual lines. Once you get the hang of that I would sudgest adding the smaller details, like veins, muscles, etc. they really help bring out the picture. Other than the shading and blending, good job [smile]