Sign in to follow this  
gothic_rose

Whats your worst habbits around horses...

lol ok so I'm bored and a friend and I were sharing out bad habbits and rather bad choices we've had with our horses..and so i decided it'd be fun to start a thread to share what happend and what we learned from it..

Im sure we all have our DUH moments lol dont be shy! this isnt a threat ment for flames or openions just to share what everyones learned from their OOPS moments lol

lol ok so I'm bored and a friend and I were sharing out bad habbits and rather bad choices we've had with our horses..and so i decided it'd be fun to start a thread to share what happend and what we learned from it..

Im sure we all have our DUH moments lol dont be shy! this isnt a threat ment for flames or openions just to share what everyones learned from their OOPS moments lol

well since i started this i'll share first

bad habbits:

-crossing under my horses neck when their in cross ties

-wearing shorts and sandles in the summer to give baths (which after getting my foot steped on by a rather large COB stallion i wear my boots regardless lol)

-riding in shorts with half chaps

i think thats all my bad habbits

Stupid moments:

hmm where do I start LOL

the worst was when i was about 11 or 12 and my cousin and i decided to jump on our horses bareback and in only halters and go jumping in the back feild without helments...neither of us got hurt but then my mom made us watch a video and we decided never to do that again much less ride with out a helment ever jumping or not.

the recent was I took my 4 year old green filly out for a ride in the back 40..i knew better then to take her out alone with out our trusty pony babysitter a 24 year old Oldenburg gelding named Tristan..but since no one was free to go with me i decided to go alone it was a beautiful day and i couldnt resist and she was behiving wonderfully..so after about 30 mins into it she had settled and was walking confidently..when out of no where a group of fesents burst out of the bushes scaring both of us and since i had let my concentration wander Tilly was able to grab the bit spin to the right and take off adding a buck which sent me flying...

I ended up with scrapes and three broken ribs..what i learned? mother dose know best! LOL she told me not to take Tilly out with out tristan just yet becuase shes only had about 30 days under saddle...yeah so now im not so eager to take the babys out alone LOL that was about 4 months ago and Tilly is doing much better shes pretty much unflappable. She still rides out eagerly ready to go.

So its your turn now guys! (sorry for my horrid spelling!)

well since i started this i'll share first

bad habbits:

-crossing under my horses neck when their in cross ties

-wearing shorts and sandles in the summer to give baths (which after getting my foot steped on by a rather large COB stallion i wear my boots regardless lol)

-riding in shorts with half chaps

i think thats all my bad habbits

Stupid moments:

hmm where do I start LOL

the worst was when i was about 11 or 12 and my cousin and i decided to jump on our horses bareback and in only halters and go jumping in the back feild without helments...neither of us got hurt but then my mom made us watch a video and we decided never to do that again much less ride with out a helment ever jumping or not.

the recent was I took my 4 year old green filly out for a ride in the back 40..i knew better then to take her out alone with out our trusty pony babysitter a 24 year old Oldenburg gelding named Tristan..but since no one was free to go with me i decided to go alone it was a beautiful day and i couldnt resist and she was behiving wonderfully..so after about 30 mins into it she had settled and was walking confidently..when out of no where a group of fesents burst out of the bushes scaring both of us and since i had let my concentration wander Tilly was able to grab the bit spin to the right and take off adding a buck which sent me flying...

I ended up with scrapes and three broken ribs..what i learned? mother dose know best! LOL she told me not to take Tilly out with out tristan just yet becuase shes only had about 30 days under saddle...yeah so now im not so eager to take the babys out alone LOL that was about 4 months ago and Tilly is doing much better shes pretty much unflappable. She still rides out eagerly ready to go.

So its your turn now guys! (sorry for my horrid spelling!)

Oh my, where to start...Oh, and have you ever noticed that as your skill increases your horsemanship decreases? Mine has. (I try to blame it all on a best friends birthday party I went to, where I broke at least five rules of horsemanship and had a blast!)

I used to never go to the barn without leather boots, now I go all the time in crocs,tennis shoes, flip-flops.

I used to never get on a horse at all w/o a helmet, now I hop on for a couple minutes w/o even thinking of a helmet. Oh, and I don't typically wear a helmet when riding western either.

I let Chippy(the little POA) come into the tack room so I don't have to carry the saddle as far.

I clip Skippy without someone there to hold him for me.

I sometimes ride w/ a really loose girth to test my balance.

Oh, and I don't use a noseband or browband on my english bridle for convenience.

Oh my, where to start...Oh, and have you ever noticed that as your skill increases your horsemanship decreases? Mine has. (I try to blame it all on a best friends birthday party I went to, where I broke at least five rules of horsemanship and had a blast!)

I used to never go to the barn without leather boots, now I go all the time in crocs,tennis shoes, flip-flops.

I used to never get on a horse at all w/o a helmet, now I hop on for a couple minutes w/o even thinking of a helmet. Oh, and I don't typically wear a helmet when riding western either.

I let Chippy(the little POA) come into the tack room so I don't have to carry the saddle as far.

I clip Skippy without someone there to hold him for me.

Oh, and I don't use a noseband or browband on my english bridle for convenience.

quote:

Originally posted by Miss B.:

[QB]

[ROTFL][ROTFL]

[QB]

[Eek!] Wow! that sounds scary! [Razz]

quote:

Originally posted by Miss B.:

[QB]

[ROTFL][ROTFL]

[QB]

[Eek!] Wow! that sounds scary! [Razz]

Well...

Sometimes I decide to walk underneath my horse... or rather crawl through her legs... prolly not the best idea lol

Ocassionally the herd of about 13 horses come galloping through the arena im riding in but I just sit there or let my horse run with them...

thats pretty much it... I'm fairly safe around my horse but sometimes I can be stupid [big Grin]

Well...

Sometimes I decide to walk underneath my horse... or rather crawl through her legs... prolly not the best idea lol

Ocassionally the herd of about 13 horses come galloping through the arena im riding in but I just sit there or let my horse run with them...

thats pretty much it... I'm fairly safe around my horse but sometimes I can be stupid [big Grin]

walking under their necks while in cross ties

completely untacking Addie before bothering to even pick up the halter

getting Addie (when in her stall) without having put my boots on yet

when untacking I make Addie wait for me outside the tack room because I don't like having to carry my saddle from the cross ties

there are plenty of other stupid things I do, but I can't remember the rest now

walking under their necks while in cross ties

completely untacking Addie before bothering to even pick up the halter

getting Addie (when in her stall) without having put my boots on yet

when untacking I make Addie wait for me outside the tack room because I don't like having to carry my saddle from the cross ties

there are plenty of other stupid things I do, but I can't remember the rest now

I go out to the pasture barefooted a lot..

When I used to ride, I would ride barefooted..

I like to lay down in the grass..they just sniff and eat around me. =P

I also walk underneath them.. and underneath their necks.

bah

yay for being unsafe!!

I go out to the pasture barefooted a lot..

When I used to ride, I would ride barefooted..

I like to lay down in the grass..they just sniff and eat around me. =P

I also walk underneath them.. and underneath their necks.

bah

yay for being unsafe!!

With my first mare, the first year I went to college (last year) I decided to clip her for the winter since the school has an indoor and I wanted to keep her in work, but she sweats easily and A LOT.

So I start the body clip. I get to the stomach where she already had a ton of fuzzy winter hair. I was having trouble getting the hair in the middle of her stomach, so I squatted underneath her belly and clipped. Talk about unsafe! I certainly would never do that with any other horse, in the three years I had her she never did anything to betray my trust so I just went for it. Sometimes you just gotta be stupid.

I also used to stand right behind her and braid her brush her tail.

I used to like to go into her stall or field and sit in a corner and watch her. She was always so careful not to step on me.

I never did anything stupid with Minnow, didn't trust her enough [smile]

I used to take the pony I rode and ride her around her herd and try to cut horses and move them...didn't really help that my mare was a kicker and the other horses had no problems with chasing me up the hill...

With the same pony, when she had her very first baby a year or two ago, she was super aggressive and wouldn't let anyone near her or the baby...except me. I would sit down in a corner of her stall where no one could see me and let the baby sleep on my lap, while I watched pony attack the stall door whenever someone would come by. Then she'd stop and look so happily at me and the foal...then resume attacking the stall door lol...

With my new horse Louie I've already been a little...stupid. He's a 4y/o ottb whose last race was in november. The weather has been so nice around here that I don't want to ride in a ring. So I've been riding him outside, all over the place, w/t/c, just cause it feels nice. Luckily, he's super sweet and only has a FEW 4y/o ottb moments...man I'm lucky!

[ 05-11-2007, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: cemcem ]

With my first mare, the first year I went to college (last year) I decided to clip her for the winter since the school has an indoor and I wanted to keep her in work, but she sweats easily and A LOT.

So I start the body clip. I get to the stomach where she already had a ton of fuzzy winter hair. I was having trouble getting the hair in the middle of her stomach, so I squatted underneath her belly and clipped. Talk about unsafe! I certainly would never do that with any other horse, in the three years I had her she never did anything to betray my trust so I just went for it. Sometimes you just gotta be stupid.

I also used to stand right behind her and braid her brush her tail.

I used to like to go into her stall or field and sit in a corner and watch her. She was always so careful not to step on me.

I never did anything stupid with Minnow, didn't trust her enough [smile]

I used to take the pony I rode and ride her around her herd and try to cut horses and move them...didn't really help that my mare was a kicker and the other horses had no problems with chasing me up the hill...

With the same pony, when she had her very first baby a year or two ago, she was super aggressive and wouldn't let anyone near her or the baby...except me. I would sit down in a corner of her stall where no one could see me and let the baby sleep on my lap, while I watched pony attack the stall door whenever someone would come by. Then she'd stop and look so happily at me and the foal...then resume attacking the stall door lol...

With my new horse Louie I've already been a little...stupid. He's a 4y/o ottb whose last race was in november. The weather has been so nice around here that I don't want to ride in a ring. So I've been riding him outside, all over the place, w/t/c, just cause it feels nice. Luckily, he's super sweet and only has a FEW 4y/o ottb moments...man I'm lucky!

[ 05-11-2007, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: cemcem ]

I a lot of times get lazy when watering/feeding at shows and just leave the door open while they are eating hay or grain. Nothing has happened so far but you can see where that could lead to [Razz] Also I tend to ride barefoot sometimes. I know dumb. [big Grin]

I a lot of times get lazy when watering/feeding at shows and just leave the door open while they are eating hay or grain. Nothing has happened so far but you can see where that could lead to [Razz] Also I tend to ride barefoot sometimes. I know dumb. [big Grin]

Hmm... bad habits? Me? Teehee...

1. Crossing under the neck when tied.

2. Not using a halter at all when grooming/tacking up.

3. Using my mom's old Arab as a back rest when he's lying in the field. (He loves it, I tickle his belly for him.)

4. I never wear a helmet anymore.

5. Using my mom's off-the-track TB to try and herd my neices escaped goats.

Stupid moments. I've got some good ones.

I used to work horses on a large ranch. In the summer it would get up to 115 degrees. The lead mare would always be as far as possible from the arena. I would walk out to get her with nothing, hop on bareback and use her fly mask to control her. BAD IDEA! I had been doing it for months without any incedent. Then one day she and the whole herd (30+ horses) took off. Luckily I was able to safely bail out, but I never did that again.

When I was really young, and knew NOTHING about horses other than rented trail rides, I found a small herd in a field behind an appt complex. I would feed them baby carrots every day. One day I led the calmest one up to a rock and hopped on. Luckily she just walked a bit and then used a tree branch to wipe me off. That could have been bad, it was a really steep, hilly area and with big rocks all over the place.

Same horses: One day I ran out of carrots and the lead gelding decided to get revenge on me. I was walking away and I heard hoofbeats behind me. I glanced to see him thundering up to me, I turned to run but he caught me in the back with a huge nose shove. I went flying (I only weighted like 70 pounds). When I rolled over he was on top of me, pawing me, nipping my shoulders and eating my hair. I put my feet between his front legs when he started to lay down on me. [surrender] Funny thing is, had I known anything I would have wacked him in the nose and it would have probaby been over. I was on the ground for probably 30 minutes, no one would have ever seen me. The only reason I got away from him is the calm mare (the one I rode) distracted him with a squeal and I slipped behind a tree.

Hope you enjoyed me stupid moments from my early teens. [Embarrassed]

My only recent one was when my mom got her TB. I wanted to see how fast he really was.... so I shortened up the stirrups so create a jockey-like seat and let him rip. Bad bad bad... he nearly threw me when he decided to take a sudden right turn between the compost area and the barn. My center of balance was so high I would have flown like an arrow from a bow had I not hugged onto his neck in time.

That's all I've got.

Hmm... bad habits? Me? Teehee...

1. Crossing under the neck when tied.

2. Not using a halter at all when grooming/tacking up.

3. Using my mom's old Arab as a back rest when he's lying in the field. (He loves it, I tickle his belly for him.)

4. I never wear a helmet anymore.

5. Using my mom's off-the-track TB to try and herd my neices escaped goats.

Stupid moments. I've got some good ones.

I used to work horses on a large ranch. In the summer it would get up to 115 degrees. The lead mare would always be as far as possible from the arena. I would walk out to get her with nothing, hop on bareback and use her fly mask to control her. BAD IDEA! I had been doing it for months without any incedent. Then one day she and the whole herd (30+ horses) took off. Luckily I was able to safely bail out, but I never did that again.

When I was really young, and knew NOTHING about horses other than rented trail rides, I found a small herd in a field behind an appt complex. I would feed them baby carrots every day. One day I led the calmest one up to a rock and hopped on. Luckily she just walked a bit and then used a tree branch to wipe me off. That could have been bad, it was a really steep, hilly area and with big rocks all over the place.

Same horses: One day I ran out of carrots and the lead gelding decided to get revenge on me. I was walking away and I heard hoofbeats behind me. I glanced to see him thundering up to me, I turned to run but he caught me in the back with a huge nose shove. I went flying (I only weighted like 70 pounds). When I rolled over he was on top of me, pawing me, nipping my shoulders and eating my hair. I put my feet between his front legs when he started to lay down on me. [surrender] Funny thing is, had I known anything I would have wacked him in the nose and it would have probaby been over. I was on the ground for probably 30 minutes, no one would have ever seen me. The only reason I got away from him is the calm mare (the one I rode) distracted him with a squeal and I slipped behind a tree.

Hope you enjoyed me stupid moments from my early teens. [Embarrassed]

My only recent one was when my mom got her TB. I wanted to see how fast he really was.... so I shortened up the stirrups so create a jockey-like seat and let him rip. Bad bad bad... he nearly threw me when he decided to take a sudden right turn between the compost area and the barn. My center of balance was so high I would have flown like an arrow from a bow had I not hugged onto his neck in time.

That's all I've got.

[ROTFL] Funny this should come up! I just gave Buddy and Raimi hair cuts and baths this morning -In shorts and NO shoes [Crazy] I am forever running to the barn bare foot, hubby hates it to keep him happy I usually stay out of the stalls with bare piggs.(he says I'll get worms, good thing he didnt see me rubbing noses with the horses this morning too [Wink] )

Stupidest thing I have ever done:

At the county fair when I was 15 getting ready for a halter class with my mare Misty. Mom came around the corner of the stable to find me sitting under her putting hoof black on her hind feet. The reall kicker NO ONE WAS HOLDING THE HORSE! [big Grin] Oh yah that is 4-H safty for yah [ROTFL] Mom said nothing just grabed the lead and looked like she had been standing there all along, I love my mom. BTW Misty was an increadable mare, and she was sound a sleep at the time, HEHEHEHE.(snoring) She was my halter mare extrordinare, enter the class, set her up, and she would freeze ears up eye open and fall sound asleep, all you had to do is remember to wake her up before the judge got there. One time I was not paying attention and when I when to lead out for the conformation check(walk down jog back) she about fell on her face, the judge(who had judged her many times and loved her) about hit the ground laughing. We placed first [big Grin] Same horse used to use my pony as a cow and paractice cutting until the pony kicked me in the knee cap, and I wonder why my knee is messed up as an adult [Confused] .

Currently stupid:

I let my horses in every night uninhibited. I just open the gate and the stall doors and letem rip. In the mornings I have been letting Raimi out with out using a halter just her fly mask.

I have epliepsy and ride without a helmet, even though I own one.

[ 05-11-2007, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: tequilaskye ]

[ROTFL] Funny this should come up! I just gave Buddy and Raimi hair cuts and baths this morning -In shorts and NO shoes [Crazy] I am forever running to the barn bare foot, hubby hates it to keep him happy I usually stay out of the stalls with bare piggs.(he says I'll get worms, good thing he didnt see me rubbing noses with the horses this morning too [Wink] )

Stupidest thing I have ever done:

At the county fair when I was 15 getting ready for a halter class with my mare Misty. Mom came around the corner of the stable to find me sitting under her putting hoof black on her hind feet. The reall kicker NO ONE WAS HOLDING THE HORSE! [big Grin] Oh yah that is 4-H safty for yah [ROTFL] Mom said nothing just grabed the lead and looked like she had been standing there all along, I love my mom. BTW Misty was an increadable mare, and she was sound a sleep at the time, HEHEHEHE.(snoring) She was my halter mare extrordinare, enter the class, set her up, and she would freeze ears up eye open and fall sound asleep, all you had to do is remember to wake her up before the judge got there. One time I was not paying attention and when I when to lead out for the conformation check(walk down jog back) she about fell on her face, the judge(who had judged her many times and loved her) about hit the ground laughing. We placed first [big Grin] Same horse used to use my pony as a cow and paractice cutting until the pony kicked me in the knee cap, and I wonder why my knee is messed up as an adult [Confused] .

Currently stupid:

I let my horses in every night uninhibited. I just open the gate and the stall doors and letem rip. In the mornings I have been letting Raimi out with out using a halter just her fly mask.

I have epliepsy and ride without a helmet, even though I own one.

[ 05-11-2007, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: tequilaskye ]

Hmmm... I might cut the list short because I am really bad at this...

- I've NEVER worn a helmet... ever

- I walk behind/under my green horse

- I clip without anyone holding or having her

tied

- Clip feet while sitting under my untied horse

- I ride one horse bareback with a halter/lead

and pony another

- Stand/backflip off/ slide off the butt...

just to see if they will stand

- Untack next to the tack room just so I don't

have to walk as far

- Let her hang out without holding on to the

lead while she eats grain/grass

- When leading horses in I have three in hand

and let the rest follow me down to the barn

Oh man, I just realized what a bad horse person I am... Don't take my horses away from me, PLEASE!!! [Duh]

[ 05-11-2007, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Alipes ]

Hmmm... I might cut the list short because I am really bad at this...

- I've NEVER worn a helmet... ever

- I walk behind/under my green horse

- I clip without anyone holding or having her

tied

- Clip feet while sitting under my untied horse

- I ride one horse bareback with a halter/lead

and pony another

- Stand/backflip off/ slide off the butt...

just to see if they will stand

- Untack next to the tack room just so I don't

have to walk as far

- Let her hang out without holding on to the

lead while she eats grain/grass

- When leading horses in I have three in hand

and let the rest follow me down to the barn

Oh man, I just realized what a bad horse person I am... Don't take my horses away from me, PLEASE!!! [Duh]

[ 05-11-2007, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Alipes ]

I try to be as cautious as possible, but with Cassidy I could do ANYthing I wanted.

I'd stand right behind her, cross under her, clean stalls in flip flops, ride barefooted, ride "freely" in an open pasture, sit on the ground while she ate grass, when clipping her feet, I'd sit on the ground, and of course I always did the stupid ride in shorts either barefooted or in sneakers, in an English saddle and got those huge bruises.

I try to be as cautious as possible, but with Cassidy I could do ANYthing I wanted.

I'd stand right behind her, cross under her, clean stalls in flip flops, ride barefooted, ride "freely" in an open pasture, sit on the ground while she ate grass, when clipping her feet, I'd sit on the ground, and of course I always did the stupid ride in shorts either barefooted or in sneakers, in an English saddle and got those huge bruises.

This is fun and I have a current bad habit. My cell phone. I have to have it during the day when I sneak away from work to the farm so...

Whenever it rings I do stop what I am doing and let my horse rest. He's always looking for a chance to relax so he just stands patiently while I talk.

I was lunging in the riding ring and we just started to warm up and it rings. I disengaged him and brought him up to me and he stood perfectly while I finished the call. We went right back to work. About 10 minutes later we were cantering and doing some real hustling when it rings again. My horse stopped on a dime as though I yelled whoa and turned quiet as can be toward me and stood there waiting, "Are you gonna get that?" I was laughing so hard I couldn't talk. It's amazing what we teach or horses whether we mean to or not.

William (historyrider)

This is fun and I have a current bad habit. My cell phone. I have to have it during the day when I sneak away from work to the farm so...

Whenever it rings I do stop what I am doing and let my horse rest. He's always looking for a chance to relax so he just stands patiently while I talk.

I was lunging in the riding ring and we just started to warm up and it rings. I disengaged him and brought him up to me and he stood perfectly while I finished the call. We went right back to work. About 10 minutes later we were cantering and doing some real hustling when it rings again. My horse stopped on a dime as though I yelled whoa and turned quiet as can be toward me and stood there waiting, "Are you gonna get that?" I was laughing so hard I couldn't talk. It's amazing what we teach or horses whether we mean to or not.

William (historyrider)

quote:

Originally posted by historyrider:

William (historyrider)

I've heard about that. A friend would always train her horses with her phone. Everytime it would ring she would drop the reins and her horse would go and snack.

She was at a show and someone's phone rang and right in the middle of the class, he dropped his head and she nearly went down with him!

Lol, not so good of an idea to train with a phone. Haha, horses are way too intelligent.

quote:

Originally posted by historyrider:

William (historyrider)

I've heard about that. A friend would always train her horses with her phone. Everytime it would ring she would drop the reins and her horse would go and snack.

She was at a show and someone's phone rang and right in the middle of the class, he dropped his head and she nearly went down with him!

Lol, not so good of an idea to train with a phone. Haha, horses are way too intelligent.