silly filly 2

very graphic pics of my horse was in hurricane charley 2004

i was wondering if anyone has ever owned a horse that went thru a hurricane and survived? what did that horse look like afterwards? [Question]

[ 04-24-2007, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: silly filly 2 ]

When I lived in Florida(and I believe this was in 2004, there's just been so many of 'em..*shrug*), we couldn't evacuate the horses from the state because we didn't have our own trailer then, so we borrowed a nearby barns trailer and truck and drove around for quite a while trying to find a safe place to put them.. We had two, I attached a waterproof tag with our phone number and address on both of their halters. We were lucky enough to find a man who had a very large, open field. No trees anywhere near, and plenty of grass. He had cows.. So we turned them out with the cows. I think it was something like a ten acre pasture. Anyway.. We came back around five days later when they began allowing people back onto the island(we lived in Merritt Island), and the horses were just fine, just a bit hungry..They sure were glad to see their grain. [Crazy] We had evacuated to Georgia. Why do you ask, is your horse okay? Did you find him again after the hurricane?

I almost lost my gelding due to flooding from hurricane Jean.

My husband had to wrap a hose around a tree, let himself be washed out to my drowning horse's pen and cut the fence!He swam to high ground but not until he had been sucked under the water and washed about 75 feet down stream from us!

He looked pretty rough afterwards. He had bumps and bruises,tons of ant bites(They were floating in the water)and the week after his hair started falling out due to a skin infection.

It took him a full year before he would cross the creeks in the pasture! He is still leery everytime the weather gets real bad.

My guys had to weather Hurricane Rita last September about 30 minutes North of Lake Charles, La. All were on open pasture and with all the destruction around them, nary a scratch on any of them. Thank you Lord! [Angel]

LC was "pink" under his white hair and looked pretty strange. I suspect that was from the wind and driving rain. I was told that they had to bear the brunt of category 3 winds for several hours.

Fast forward to this past Wednesday night, all but Dixie are here in Tx now and thunderstorms were rolling through. LC, CD and Suzer were all very nervous. I was kind of surprised but I guess their nervousness could be traced back to Rita.

I know I have pictures of them right after the storm, but not on this pc at work. I'll check at home and update this post if I can find them.

My Corc and his buddies weathered Katrina just fine. They were in a 7 acre former pecan orchard pasture (all of the trees had significant damage). On high ground across the lake from the city with room to move around.. not a scratch on any of the boys.

I cant even describe how wonderful that was when we got out of mississippi and went over there.. I lost my house, but I only cared about them critters. sold him recently, to some folks in indiana, so i never have to worry about that again.

I probably wont buy another horse until I move away from here (it'll happen someday) because it was just to scary.

Here's what happened to my horse after hurricane Charley. Aladdins' Escape aka Al and now Hurricane Al, he was 10yrs old when he was moved to Florida. He was born in Burns Oregon and raised in Vader Washington. He lived in Florida about 4 months when we decided that we wanted to move back to the northwest, Idaho. We had to move one week before my horse hauler company could pick him up. So I, not knowing anyone in the area where I was living in Port Orange, Fl. Went looking for someone to care for my horse for one week till the hauling company could pick him up, not knowing anything about the hurricanes that were coming. I found someone that had seven horses of her own, all of which looked good and healthy. I paid her for boarding him plus supplied all the food. Apparently she did not feed him that whole week and left him to fend for himself during the hurricane. There were lots of trees on her property and all around. There were also several shed barns and corrals. I was told that there were tornados with winds upwards of 90mph that went thru that area. This hurricane hit on Friday the 13th, there fore my hauler that was supposed to pick him up on that day could not get in there. They were able to pick him up the next day at night, so they were unable to really see what kind of shape he was in till the next day. The called me in Idaho and told me that my horse was very thin and was having trouble standing on his left back leg. He had about a 6 day trip ahead of him to get to Idaho, he did not eat vey well while traveling. By the time he got here he was in bad shape. The haulers were to take him to their station about 500 miles from were I lived and I was to pick him up from there. When they got there they called me and said that they didn't think he was going to make it till I got there. They had started him on bute and Electrolites,I couldn't get there for another 5 days. They said when he got there he dug a hole and layed there for 3 days, they hand feed and watered him, after 3 days he finally got up and started to eat on his own. When I finally got there to pick him up I called out his name and he didn't really respond. I went over to him and he recognized me, he looked horrible. His skin had like bubbles in it. I loaded him up for the ride home. I live in the mountians, the roads were very windy I felt so bad for him on this ride as he could hardly walk let alone stand. When I got him home it was like his skin had been tanned,like leather. He is a paint and 3/4s of his body is white, all the white is what looked like it was tanned. His nose has a blaze and that was already peeling and bloody. I had the Vet come and look at him to see if I should put him down and to make sure his leg was not broken. He said that he was so skinny from being starved and that he must of been hit on his hip area but that he did not have a broken leg, his skin had been sandblasted. Over the next few days his legs swelled up about 4 times the normal size and he could not move, his skin started to peel off to raw flesh. The swelling was because he was finally geting proper food intake he was on penicillin for infection for two weeks. I had to cover almost all of his body with scarlett oil twice a day to heal the skin. For about 8 months I tried everything to bring the hair back. He now is all healed with only a few spots where there is no hair, but it's still tring to come back. Aloevera is what really worked the best, it keeps the skin soft and undry. And I am proud to say that he is the daddy of a beautiful grulla filly as of Nov. 18th 2005. Out of my grulla Quarter mare. He also is the daddy of two paints but that was before his ordeal. [Yay]

I want everyone to know that a horse heals from the inside out, so don't ever give up.

Guest cowgirlartist

All but one of ours came out fine from the three Hurricanes that passed over our area. It was like my county had a Bullseye painted over it. Lost the barn and 10 acres of fencing (rolled it up like a big brush filled swiss roll). My Mustang had some bruises on his butt from pine cones hitting him. The other horse had his laminitis flare up, which crippled him for weeks afterwards from the saturated ground, flooded 3' deep in our pasture. But he is fairly sound now, though the stress caused him to get anhydrosis, which means he can't sweat to cool off, and he is on One AC and Guiness beer to help him break a sweat in summer.

Jazz and I went through Hurricane Isabel in the Virginia Beach, VA area and we painted a contact number on her hip and turned her loose in the pasture. She came through fine without any injuries. I am so sorry to hear about what Al went through, but glad he is healthy again.

I live in NW Florida, near Pensacola. My place is

20 miles from the coast and, as most are well aware, we've had a bullseye on our area for a couple years now. I had 4 horses go through Ivan and Dennis and a myriad of tropical storms. Can't even remember all the names. Anyway, we turned them out to fend for themselves and they all did great. Not a scratch. We were so worried about them. As soon as the sun came up after Ivan, we did a head count. They were just running and bucking and farting like any other day. But they had a lot of debris to dodge. We lost our barn and a couple other buildings but our house came through relatively fine. The only horse fatalities I heard of were kept inside their barn, which was blown away. I shudder to think what they went through. So...here comes June 1st and another round. Not to wish bad luck on anyone but we need to catch a break this year!

Margaret

I am so glad I live in Oregon. I just dont think i could live through what you all have. The wosrt we have here is a flood every 10yr. And nothing that bad. Water gets High but just to the point it is fun to look at. I am sorry that you have all had to deal with that.

Good God! I don't think I could live down there with all those tropical stroms and hirricanes. You guys are like my heros for living down there. May Good bless you and your horses [Angel]

Hey, Twizzler. We don't live there anymore. That happened to him before he got out of there. I have pictures of him and this years baby on the foal watch section. You should check them out. [big Grin]

Thats OK i saw them. I couldn't tell they were in a Hurricane. The one horse at the barn I work at was saved from the meat truck. She is the biggest BRAT you will ever meet. Atleast to me every time I walk by her stall she bites me

Here are pictures of pictures, sorry if not real clear. - Please read entire thread befor looking027.jpgIMG] -[/img]/IMG]e --- these are about 2 weeks after I got him home.

[ 04-24-2007, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: silly filly 2 ]

Thanks. It was a long hard road that I hope no one else ever has to go down, but true love of your animal really helps. I've had him for 12yrs. His first baby for the year is displayed under foal watches, "new pics Ms Robin Dawns' Escape." Last years foal was a grulla filly just like her mom.

God bless you and your horse, you sure have done right by him. I can't even imagine what he had to go through to get in that condition. He is blessed to have you as his mommy!

GASP! im thunderstruck! those pics are absolutely heartwrenching. im SO glad you took care of him, you two must have an amazing bond.

how scary, its hard to imagine what he went through.

I am so glad that this turn for the worst came out good. I cannot imagine people being so cruel to animals, but they are out there. If I promise someone to take care of their horse, I will keep my promise.

In fact years ago, when I had sold my first horse, the person that bought him abandon him. I fed him for a couple of months and really could not afford it, but then the farrier that shod our horses took him. I have no idea what happen to my first horse after the farrier took him.

Have a GREAT week.

Oh

My

God!

You are amazing. I could have never done it. THose beginning pics. brought tears to my eyes [Me Cry]

WOW!!! What a miracle to see that horse come through such a storm and make it across the coutry, and to survive it all!

You deserve an award for a great job at bringing that horse back from death. He looks great now...I'm just glad we don't live that close to the coast. We are just 2 hrs from Corpus Christi and see people coming up here during the storms.

To just see an that horse come through and survive a hurricane is just amazing.

Great job and hopefully many more foals. [big Grin]

~MH