silly filly 2

very graphic pics of my horse was in hurricane charley 2004

[Eek!] He looked like he was so frail he wouldn't make it. I first thought wow that horse is not being fed, then I could see the pain he must have been in. What a wonderful story of hope and recovery!! [Angel]

OMG

U R AMAZIN 4 STIKIN BY UR HORSE LYK THAT

POOR FIN

ONLY JUS BIN ABLE TO LUK AT PICS COS I ANT BIN ON THIS SITE 4 TIME N ITS A REALLY COMPLICATING 4 ME LOL

quote:

Originally posted by OTTB Metzel:

I almost lost my gelding due to flooding from hurricane Jean.

My husband had to wrap a hose around a tree, let himself be washed out to my drowning horse's pen and cut the fence!He swam to high ground but not until he had been sucked under the water and washed about 75 feet down stream from us!

He looked pretty rough afterwards. He had bumps and bruises,tons of ant bites(They were floating in the water)and the week after his hair started falling out due to a skin infection.

It took him a full year before he would cross the creeks in the pasture! He is still leery everytime the weather gets real bad.

That's awful!! But I'm glad your husband and your horse are okay!

WOW, WOW, WOW.. he looks AMAZING [Yay]

he must be a very special guy to deserve someone like you, who loves him so much.

will he always be scared on his right side? or is that expected to heal too in time?

Wow! He is a lucky boy to have someone like you to look after him after such tragedy! I was shocked and stunned when I saw those pics of him! My stomach feels yucky just seeing him like that! How scary and sad! He has done a complete 180 to recovery! He looks soo much better, thanks to you and your love of him!

I would be so mad at the lady who was supposed to take care of him! [Mad] I don't know how you managed not to kill her!

It's been a long time since I've gave an update on Hurricane Al. He is doing great, he's had two more foals and has been gelded, back in 2008. He still has some scaring on his body but not in his mind. He's not affraid of anything. Not even wind, good thing cause where we live there can be some strong winds. I'll try to post some recent pic.'s as soon as he sheds out. Thanks for all the compliments. It's all about LOVE. :grin:

Edited by silly filly 2

It is awesome what you did for your horse. Unfortunately they are not all that lucky. I worked for a horse rescue for a while and was working there through Ike. We had 50+ at our ranch in South Texas and couldn't evacuate them. Some were to old and weak to make the trip and some two wild to get into a trailer. They weathered the storm pretty well. We didn't loose any even though there was over 4 ft of water over the whole ranch.

We had one little mini-shetland mix that was just barely 4 ft tall and her friend wasn't much bigger. We had a gelding that had just been gelded and he forced the two of them up onto a dirt pile. Every time they would try to come down he would bite at them and snake them back up the dirt pile. He kept them up there for 3 days.

We also had an old mare that had a serious back injury and had trouble with her balance. We were really worried about Dixie. When we managed to get out after the storm we couldn't find a whole bunch of older horses. We just kept walking through the water until we finally found them way in the back under the trees.

Dixie was right in the middle and the other old horses had made a ring around her pressing their bodies up against her. We had one with a broken pelvis and he was very close to the center. I think they had put the weaker ones on the inside and piled themselves against each other for security. I cried and cried when I saw how they were protecting each other.

They were not any of them in very bad shape. It was a few days they went without food and stood in water but they were all pretty much ok. We had one cut shoulder and some sun burn on the light color ones but nothing serious.

Some of the ones we picked up loose or abandoned were in alot worse shape.

Nothing like what they found when they went in for Katrina.

I'am in Central Fl. Hurrican Donna skirted us around 1960. Had horses turned out on around 50 acres. Left horses out as there were nothing to compare to a barn that would withstand a catg. 5 storm. In our area anyway. Even so, I think I still would chance them being free. You can try getting on the road, but from what I see these storms are so unpredictable even with todays weather advances. You either have to leave way ahead of the storm just to beat the traffic jams.Folks run out of gas, cars overheat and your stuck in a traffic jam. My fear is being stuck with horses in a trailer and trying to out guess a storm.Many folks drove to Arcadia to try and escape when Charley came through in 2004. Charley went right into Arcadia and devastated the town.Friends of ours, Rick Partin has world class paints,turned the horses out, but lost their barns and fence. If the horses would have been in the barn, I'am sure he would have lost some. These were well built facilities.

We never as yet had a direct hit, knock on wood. We saw some things I hope I never see again when we went to Arcadia after. We also saw alot of miracles, like Silly Fillys horse and folks that picked up and started over again from scratch. We saw the best of people and sometimes the worst. I'll always admire the best and how they coped with so much destruction.

Oh so horrible, but Im glad that you were able to get him well. He is really a pretty horse in the recent pics, pretty too in the hurt ones, you know what I mean.

Thanks for sharing the story.

Have a GREAT week.

There were alot of horses that were displaced after Katrina.

Locating owners and telling them where their horses are seemed to be the biggest problem.

I actually acquired 3 b/c the owners did not come back for them...still don't know what happened to the owners today.

Two of them ( Pete and Teddy) died a few years ago...old age issues.

I still have Isabella.

I heard that spray painting vet info and cell phone info on them is an excellent idea.

I plan to make a stencil and get a can of red spray paint to put in my emer. evac. kit.

We have people who stay on site and the firehouse is nearby/plus the Avondale shipyards...so the one staying has no problem being safe and they stay mainly to watch the fence lines and any injuries....flooding ( unless the levee breaks) is not a problem.

And, unlike what ya'll saw on TV about our levees breaking...this is not the same levees...they are more like mini-mountains and hold the Mississippi itself...not that it couldn't happen...but not likely.

During Katrina, they were begging us to house abandoned horses...but my Dad refused. He wasn't being mean, but he was trying to make sure the ones we had there were maintained well ( he had way too many turned out as it was, he had to think in terms of resources)....and had an obligation to the tenants to keep things as normal as possible.