Sign in to follow this  
Guest cowgirlartist

Ernesto

Guest cowgirlartist

Ahh well, just great. Here he comes our way.

Time to remark the tags on the halters and stock up. [Frown]

Here's a view of my area. The blue circled is me,SUMTER COUNTY..the purple is Orlando,ORANGE COUNTY the red is LEVY COUNTY where an HC bud I know of is,..(don't know if she wants me to pinpoint her location so I won't say who it is unless SHE wants people to know,just know that someone is there! [big Grin] )The Lavender color is Ocala, MARION COUNTY.

-

Gives you an idea you can check the google maps further.

Here we go again!

Shelley

[ 08-28-2006, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Shelley and Andy Carter ]

Guest cowgirlartist

Osceola county and the new path puts it right over us.. again. But at least I have no trees any where near my house. Charlie, Jeanne and Frances took care of those. I just need to worry about one of those minus F tornandoes that come with the Hurricane doing a direct hit on the house.

Cowgirlartist,..trees are my ONLY concern here. I too had many trees,..old 100 yr Water Oaks,..fall and crush things (my Ford Explorer thanks to Jeanne!)and have already had a tree fall from being brittle and then rain soaked on my shed where I kept my saddles. Crushed it during just a minor storm!

I am worried about the fact that our trees have become so weak during the incredible heat we had this year and now getting wet and wind will surely bring them down.

My home is safe and we have my parents house to evacuate to which is hurricane standards if it gets too bad,..but a Cat 1 here that lingers will definately bring those trees down which means longer time without power.

I have a generator so I can run an AC unit to keep us cool but we usually have to wait quite a while to get power back as they take care of all the other areas first.

Good morning ladies... I have a flexible work schedule so I just got back from picking up a few things -- following our plan!

Horse feed to last at least a week and a half. I already got my Banamine and Bute from the vet, so that's all good. I do need to make one more pet tag for our gelding, he wasn't here last year during hurricane season. My plan right now is to braid these into their manes.

I also stocked up on supplies, my hubby's parents are supposed to be visiting this weekend, so we'll need the stuff eventually anyway.

And we do have a generator, so that's good.

I'm in a new house since last year, so we've yet to see how things go at this place, but since it seems to have survived Charlie and the others okay, we think we're good. We do have the necessary supplies to board up if needed.

Take care and stay safe!

PS - I hate the wandering cone and wishy washy projections, but I guess that could all work out in our favor.

Posting this for anyone who may find it helpful:

This is from a Florida County's web site. You may find some of this information helpful.

HURRICANE!

DO ? DISCUSS YOUR HURRICANE PLANS WITH YOUR OWN VETERINARIAN

DO - MAKE AN ADVANCE PLAN

DO - PREPARE AHEAD OF TIME

DON?T - WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE

DON?T ? JUST WAIT TO BE RESCUED

ADVANCE PREPARATION

(Before hurricane season)

(or NOW)

Yard/paddock cleanup ? remove all debris that could become flying missiles in a windstorm

Strengthen barn ? add hurricane straps to roof beams; add screws to nailed joints

Stalls ? extra sand on dirt floors (flooding); get rubber mats for concrete floors (your horse could be standing there for a long time

Buy plywood and store for boarding up windows

Buy 55 gallon garbage cans with lids for water storage ? 10 gallons per day per horse ? 1 week?s supply

Buy extra water buckets ? 3 per horse

Buy and keep on hand large (55 gallon), heavy duty garbage bags for waterproof storage of hay and grain

Prepare first aid kit ? discuss with vet

Make sure your horse has a current coggins & is up-to-date on all inoculations

Horse trailers ? plan a safe location for trailer storage; buy camper tie-downs and store

Organize an individual evacuation plan for your horse ? make arrangements with a friendly farm on higher ground; find a trailer buddy if you don?t have your own transport

Practice loading your horse in a trailer

Buy ankle ID bands and dog tags, engraved with your name, address, & a cell phone number or out of area number of a friend (the phone lines may be down)

Organize an emergency repair kit: chain saw & fuel, hammer, nails, screws, screwdrivers, spare fence boards & posts, etc.

WHEN THE STORM IS APPROACHING

If you have not done some of the advanced preparation, do it now

Buy 2 weeks supply of hay and grain; store inside in high & dry place; seal in garbage bags

Fill up garbage cans (indoors ? barn/garage) with water and fill all water troughs

Put repair kit, first aid kit and coggins (your horse may not be rescued without it) in a secure place

Move horse trailer to safe location and tie it down

Put all tools & loose objects indoors

Board up barn windows

Braid dog tags to top of horse?s tail & attach ankle ID tag

Put extra bedding in stall

Fill water buckets ? 3 per horse

Give extra hay ? at least 3 pads

Administer tranquilizer in recommended doses in small amount of grain to horses confined indoors, if needed

Turn off circuit breakers to barn

AFTER THE STORM

Attend to horse?s medical needs first

If the barn is flooded; evacuate your horse to higher ground

Give hay and water as needed; no grain unless horse can be turned out

Clear up debris to make access to road

Make necessary repairs to barn & paddock area so that area is safe

Do not turn on circuit breaker unless you are sure all electrical wiring is intact

When your horse and barn is safe & secure, see if your neighbors need any help

FIRST AID KIT

Tranquilizers ? Ace granules can be given orally (30 minutes ahead of time) when calm

Leg bandages ? quilts & wraps for leg protection

Wounds ? elasticon/vet wrap/tape

Gauze/cotton padding (diaper or sanitary pad)

Antiseptic/antibiotic ointment

For swelling/pain ? bute paste

For colic ? banamine paste

Scissors

Don't trailer a horse after the winds reach tropical storm force (40 mph)

Don't tranquilize horses left outside

Don't let your horse stand in water

Don't feed moldy hay or grain

I'm in Osceola county, also. I'm no looking forward to a hurricane. I think in the last 2 years I've had my share...but obviously someone is not in agreement with me. Anyway, good luck to everyone.

Kathy

Guest cowgirlartist

Whew.. Should be Tropical storm status, but those with trees near by like Shelly and Andy Carter, still have to worry about weakened root systems. 4"-6" rain expected.

Got my feed, they are out on pasture with a pond for good water, and just had to refresh the ID tags, and make up a new one for my new horse AJ.

Just need to get a few more canned goods for me and I am set. I live in a Manufactured home, but with no trees around should be okay. I just hope we don't have a tornado hit a populated area, then I would be called on with others in my unit for disaster/ body ID documenting.

Well it's moved more to the east side of Fl so it's not going over me anymore. ( Northeast Ocala, Fort McCoy area) But that could change. Anyone familiar with hurricanes should know they can change course at the last minute. I'm prepared anyway. Name tags are on the breakaway halters, 50 gallon drums are ready to be filled, stocked up on hay and feed this morning, got canned goods and drinking water too, batteries, canned propane etc. They are saying we (Marion county) should just have some rain and wind. Fingers are crossed. For those of you right on the east coast, I'm praying for ya. Good luck. Dam I hate Florida.

So far my family is not in the path, but we all know how quickly things could change.....

[Angel] 's and [Huggy] 's for everyone and their families.

Well I am not to concern, last I knew it was back down to a TS. Don't let the weather forecasters send you into a frenzy. Just be prepared at all times through the hurricane season, then when one comes, you will not be racing around. They only one that really knows what is going to happen is the good Lord above. So, if you believe, pray, if you don't believe, then I will pray for you and your spiritual state.

As far as comments about hating Florida, last time I looked 75 stills goes North along with a lot of other routes. Us true Floridians, never asked for everyone to come here. And yes I am a true Floridian, and can remember what this state was before it before. [big Grin]

Well it's hitting Miami right now. It's still a tropical storm and will probably weaken as it goes through land. They say 50 mile per hour winds. Cuba slowed it down a lot. They have shut down the schools in Osceola and Brevard counties for tomorrow. A couple of more counties but I can't remember. We ( Northeast Marion county) are only supposed to get 25 mile per hour winds and about 2 inches of rain, ( we need the rain) so far. Hopefully that won't change. Everyone who's getting the worst of it, please be careful and take care. I'll check back tomorrow sometime to see how ya'll fared. God Bless ya'll. [Angel]

quote:

As far as comments about hating Florida, last time I looked 75 stills goes North along with a lot of other routes. Us true Floridians, never asked for everyone to come here. And yes I am a true Floridian, and can remember what this state was before

I'll say I hate Florida anytime I choose. I have that right, I'm a native, 42 years, born and raised. I also remember what Florida used to be like before all the land developers and transplants took over. I remember when Ocala had red brick roads, when a hand shake sealed a deal, when people were friendly and everyone knew everyone. Florida is too damned over populated and to the point that what used to be horse trails is now a friggin subdivision. It's full of foreigners that try to rip you off at every turn ( remember hurricane Jean and Francis and all the price gouging???) It's slap full of baby rapers ( sex offenders) and people that would kill you just to kill you. All the damned freaks come here! So **** yes, I hate Florida and I dream of the day I can cross that state line on I-75 that leads out!

[ 08-29-2006, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: REMONA ]

Guest cowgirlartist

Well 5th generation Floridian here, and I'll take a hurricane over any other natural event just for the fact we have soooo much warning! [Wink]

Ya don't get a warning or that many days of one with Earth quakes, Land slides, Tornandos, Blizzards, Floods, lightening or Tsunamis. [Eek!]

So yeah, I'll stay and prepare for the Hurricanes.. [Wink]

As far as the freaks, baby rapers, murders, etc..thats my job to document the evidence and put them away, and I think they are in every state no matter where ya go. Lived up the road from Boulder when JonBenet was murdered, and next town over in Cody, where a little 10 year old was kidnapped, raped murdered and dumped in a dumpster in Powell, Wyoming. So I do what I have to do and have that bit of satisfaction when every thing comes together and justice works.

[ 08-29-2006, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: cowgirlartist ]

God Bless you Cowgirlartist. I to am in LE. I just can not stand people who live here and slame the state. Like I said before there are all kinds of roads that go North.

Thankfully the storm is just a storm and hopefully we will not see one for a while. Some of us can use the rain.

Remona, you are not even worth commenting about.

Ya'll stay dry now................

Ernesto is barely holding onto tropical storm status so we'll all be ok. Whew!

cowgirlartist

There's no way I could do your job, I'd spend most of time in psychotherapy or prison. My first instinct is to terminate the perverts [Mad] but unfortunetly (sp?) it's illegal. [Roll Eyes] I must say I admire what you do to get them locked up. The way I see it is to kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out. There are 45 registered offenders in my surrounding area and I keep up with almost everyone of them.Those that I can find. But anyway I'm glad Ernesto is chilling out.

2quartersandanarab

You started this. You have your opinions and I have mine. This is a hurricane thread, I won't waste my time on you. Have a nice day.

[ 08-30-2006, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: REMONA ]

I am with you on this one Remona.

I am sick of Florida and ready to move but unfortunately, I have elderly parents here whom I can't leave. My dad has alzheimer's and my mom's health is declining.

Not all who are sick of this place can just pack up and leave just cuz the highway goes north,..some of us have very good reasons for staying.

AS for the murders, Orlando has already broken it's record for murders for the year and did it before we were halfway through the year.

Something clearly is getting worse!

Glad Ernesto is leaving us be for the most part and didn't strengthen enough to do much damage.

[smiley Wavey]

Shelley

Guest cowgirlartist

Remona, I just figure it is stress, Hurricanes and the waiting for it, really wears people down, then throw in all the other local affairs of crime etc, is often too much for people.

Most of Orlandos and Orange countys murder rate is broke down to this: about 80% is drug, gang related, drive bys, and a small criminal element whose morals are such they are nothing more than predators. Small fish, making a big splash and hopefully weeded out one by one.

They said its not even a hurricane anymore!

Our wal-mart is out of stock LOL! Poeple went crazy and stocked up BIG time! I'm not realy scared! Katrina didn't scare me,it just made me cry because how bad it was! I'm glad I didn't have Lakota because I would have cryed the WHOLE time of the storm going trough! The pound had to let go of every animal and everything! But,yeppers hope yall are safe!

quote:

Originally posted by 2quartersandanarab:

Remona, you are not even worth commenting about.

Ya'll stay dry now................

WOW! That was pretty rude! Opps! Hope I don't get jumped on about saying this but it was!

Guest cowgirlartist

A pound let go of every animal they had? What on earth for? That is where they are the safest. [Question]

Yeah just a storm, but better to be safe and prepare for the worst than sorry you didn't and get hurt. Our Walmart got hammered too, but all our grocery stores, gas stations etc did fine.

Yikes...I'm getting scared now. We're planning on moving to Florida next month and now hearing all you talk about it, I'm not to sure about moving. I was happy but wow, now I'm just nervous.

But on the plus side....I'm happy everyone is ok! [big Grin]

Wow, we hardly got a drop of rain or wind for that matter. I was at least hoping for the rain. Thank God it wasn't any worse. How is everyone who live over in Osceola and Brevard counties? I know ya'll got a pounding. Hope everyone is ok. [Angel]

Originally said by cOwbOybuttsdrivemenuts

quote:

Remona, We know you are ready for some Motana weather, 30 below and snow up the ying yang,

Hope to see you when you move north

Ahh ( heavy sigh) now I'm sitting here daydreaming of that beautiful, breathtaking scenery. Snow up the ying yang... 30 below...wide open spaces...isolation..ride the horses forever..I can't wait. Hope to see you too. BTW, cowboy butts drive me nuts too lol. [big Grin]

Guest cowgirlartist

Just a bit soggy, gras will grow more though. My dog rode out the rain like snoopy, or a rooster..perched on top of the dog house like snoopy. She did get inside more than once, I had it turned so the rain wouldn't get inside with fresh hay to curl up in.

Horse wasn't too happy since the barn isn't finished, so he just turned butt to wind and rain. During one of the breaks ran out and fed him more hay and grain, so he didn't miss his evening feed at all.

Pretty good dress rehearsal for any future hurricanes, not dissapointed it was weaker, nope not at all.

Well my parents and all my horse friends from back home are in teh line of fire next on th SC coast. (thankfully I moved inland 3 yrs ago). He has strengthend (spelling??) a bit this morning. Pray for them I hope it is just rain as they need it as musch as we do!!

Guest cowgirlartist

They are worried about flash flooding from Ernesto in the Carolinas. It will dump a lot more rain and be stronger there than it was here. So prayers for the buddies up there.

I saw the Carolina's and Virginia on the news last night. They got it pretty bad, it's flooded everywhere. Those poor people [Angel]