Sign in to follow this  
jjw

How is New Orleans(sp) doing now?

Hundreds of thousands of destroyed houses.. many abandoned, many that haven't been touched in well over a year now.

But let me explain that-

Almost everything is up and running again within the city. In the CBD, there are still a few high rises that haven't been fixed, and you can still tell something happened.. in the French Quarter things are closest to normal- a few unreopened places, that kind of thing, but it's the same as it was before. The Quarter didn't really get hurt to begin with though...

You get out of the city proper though and it's still a huge mess. Lakeview, the 9th ward, and the East look better only in tiny tiny pockets. I avoid all the areas that got flooded, it's depressing. I drove by my old house the other day- it's been gutted and boarded up, but it's still uninhabitable.. same goes for all the neighbors there. There are no restaurants open, one gas station, one bank trailer thrown up in front of a trashed bank building. Quite a few FEMA trailers though, which is a good sign, I guess. A good 80% of the trees in these areas are dead, though most of them are still standing.

It's good and it's bad, but it's getting better slowly. Problem is, though the city was supposed to start tearing down everything that's been abandoned, there are too many of these things for them to deal with. And few people are gung ho to rebuild their own homes when they have no assurance that the rest of the won't remain trashed (those abandoned houses.. rats, bugs, mold, etc.)

At the rate the city is fixing itself up, it'll be in fine shape for our great grandchildren. They haven't even fixed the St. Charles streetcar line yet.

quote:

Originally posted by ***ThreeStarsCorc***:

Hundreds of thousands of destroyed houses.. many abandoned, many that haven't been touched in well over a year now.

But let me explain that-

Almost everything is up and running again within the city. In the CBD, there are still a few high rises that haven't been fixed, and you can still tell something happened.. in the French Quarter things are closest to normal- a few unreopened places, that kind of thing, but it's the same as it was before. The Quarter didn't really get hurt to begin with though...

You get out of the city proper though and it's still a huge mess. Lakeview, the 9th ward, and the East look better only in tiny tiny pockets. I avoid all the areas that got flooded, it's depressing. I drove by my old house the other day- it's been gutted and boarded up, but it's still uninhabitable.. same goes for all the neighbors there. There are no restaurants open, one gas station, one bank trailer thrown up in front of a trashed bank building. Quite a few FEMA trailers though, which is a good sign, I guess. A good 80% of the trees in these areas are dead, though most of them are still standing.

It's good and it's bad, but it's getting better slowly. Problem is, though the city was supposed to start tearing down everything that's been abandoned, there are too many of these things for them to deal with. And few people are gung ho to rebuild their own homes when they have no assurance that the rest of the won't remain trashed (those abandoned houses.. rats, bugs, mold, etc.)

At the rate the city is fixing itself up, it'll be in fine shape for our great grandchildren. They haven't even fixed the St. Charles streetcar line yet.

you live SOOOOOOOO close to me....LOL sorry JUST had to put that in....sorry about N.O.....

Croc,is there any type of mass plan in effect going on now to clean up and rebuild?

Is the goverment helping with any thing?

Yes, I saw this on the Oprah show a while back. And I couldn't believe the amount of devistation still there. Abandoned homes, buildings etc. It looked like it happened yesterday still.

So if you had insurance do you get any gov't aide besides insurance? Or is insurance even able to pay out to all it's customers? What about the army etc stepping in to help with the clean up? Is that an option?

They also said that in a couple of years 1/3 of the population now will move away from New Orleans. We hardly have any workers now, what will it be like then?

I still can't get used to the Wal-mart not open 24 hours.

It's still hard to look at the devestation. Hard to beleive it will never be the same.

Here is a letter from my friend from Slidell.

First I want to say I am very proud to live in Slidell and the government here is doing a wonderful job. Our town is rebuilding very well and new businesses are popping up all around the entire parish. There are many New Orleaneans still away and there are few hard hit areas that look like ghost towns. In New Orleans East, the electricity is not on in the streets and only the few trailers that are there, have temporary polls, which their electricity runs off of. So for the most part I feel that New Orleans is going to come back, but it will take many years and we need to get a lot more big businesses and big companies in before the residents will come back. Most of them, have started a new life in another state and the money which the government is supposedly allotted to our state, is so ridiculously slow, that so far about 1000 people have gone to the interview for the money and only about 23 have been rewarded there money. It is $150,000.00 that each family is given, after your insurance money and any money FEMA may have given you is deducted. From the newspaper, the average money that has been rewarded is about $40,000.00. With 4.5 billion dollars for this cause, the government could give every family the $150.000.00 no matter what your damages were and still not be out of all that money. And the way it is going, it will take about 20 years for everyone that signed up for that money to get some, especially because few have qualified for the full amount. The money that was allotted to Mississippi, their government gave everyone $150,000.00, if they didn't get that amount or more from their insurance companies. No questions asked.

So why is good old Louisiana not only taking so long, but why is there so much red tape to go through and you still don't get it all? You just have to love our government. I feel if the people don't get the money they need to rebuild, somebody (government?) will get it. So maybe that is why they are raking you over the grill with all these stipulations, because somebody (?) needs it more than the poor people who really need that money to rebuild. I really feel so sorry for many New Orleaneans who can't come back home because they truly cannot afford to.

As for post traumatic, Teresa I have a beautiful new house to live in, but I struggle everyday with how different my life is and how I oh so would love to have my normal life back again. Nothing is normal anymore. The good Lord gets me through everyday and I can handle whatever God gives me, but my heart aches for my parents who at their age had to start all over again. All they say is it's just not the same. All their friends are scattered and my sister, my niece and her family moved to Virginia, so what was enjoyable to my parents life is very difficult for them because we all lived close by each other and now we only see my niece and her family twice a year. Real though.

Even though Slidell is in need for government money, they are moving along and new businesses help a great deal here, where as New Orleans need the government money because they don't have the big businesses coming back or even staying. Even the little businesses are crying for help, because they can't stay afloat very much longer.

Thanks for asking, but I feel I am blessed. I have both my parents, 2 and 1 on the way very beautiful grandchildren and 3 very healthy beautiful children, what more could I ask for. So I thank the great Lord almighty.

May God bless you all.

Love,

Gail

I went down their to help with cleaning and mudding out houses for a youth group mission trip in June. I was amazed at the devestation that was still their. The roads were terrible and their were still cars and boats underneath the bridges. Many buisnesses were just opening and lots of them weren't. In the area's that were affected by the storm they were like ghost towns.

Here is a journal of my mission trip. I encourage people to go on one if they can:

Hey

I just got back from New Orleans last night and I thought I should tell you all about it. My church's youth group (14 people) went down there for a mission trip and we mudded and gutted out many houses

Wednesday June 28, 2006

Had youth group, then we left for Spokane and didn't get to the Hotel till around 11:30 at night.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Stayed up most of the night only got around 45 minutes of sleep. Then we woke up at 3 and went to the Airport. We left Spokane around 6 am and then landed in Salt Lake City, switched planes and arrived in New Orleans aound 3 pm. We then rented a van and went to our hotel. Then we walked around the French Quarter and ate their and site see'd. We also saw the Mississippi River.

Friday the 30th of June

Woke up and toured Jackson Square and the French Quarter. I bought some really cool Mardi Gras beads!!!Went window shopping and ate some Beingets ( delicous doughnuts) at Cafe Du Monde. Then We arrived at SUM College and settled in our Dorm Rooms and had orientation.

Saturday July 1st

Had Morning Chapel, and started our mission work. We passed out food to needy people at a school. Then we got ready and gutted out our first house. Gutting is taking out sheet rock walls and nails. It was really hot and humid!!!! Plus I don't think I have EVER SWEATED so MUCH in my entire Life. We were all soaked with sweat and mold spores!! The house was and older one story house with wood floors that once were really nice. Mold and mildew were on the walls and some of the floors were torn up. We ate MRE's( Meals ready to Eat, the army uses them)for lunch. It took us awhile to figure out how to use them with the chemicals and stuff. You never know what you are going to get in them!!! Then we went back to SUM and took showers. Then we ate Jumbalya(a popular meal down there) it had rice and chicken and some other things in it with a little spice added to it. It actually wasn't that bad.

Sunday 2nd of July

We went to God's House and very southern charismatic church. It was a lot of fun seeing the differences in our church and their's. Went back to SUM and hanged out and played hacky sack and I think we went to Walmart and Barnes & Noble. We had rice with some type of dressing thing. I didn't like it very much:(

Monday 3rd of July

Had morning Chapel. There were two other interesting groups, there one was from California and the other from Indiana. We got to work with Indiana. We gutted out two houses that day. Luckly it was a lot cooler but it started raining. We had Mre's again for Lunch. Then we went back to SUM and hanged out. We had Red beans with hot dog chunks with rice. I did not like it very well again. We wnet to a Feed the Multitudes rally and figured out what we we doing for it the next day.

Tuesday the Fourth of JULY

We woke up and had chapel. Instead of working and cleaning out houses. We all had different jobs at a community/church outreach event called Feed the Multitudes. They were giving free meals and drinks away, they had free hair cuts, medical screens, a prayer and healing tent, many live bands and entertainment, lots of children events ( I got to work with the water slides). There were many many people there and many people were very open to getting prayer and God. it was amazing!!!! Katrina has changed and turned many peoples minds toward God down in New Orleans!! It is so cool!!!! Then we cleaned up and it started raining and lighting! Then later that night we went to the community fire works down on the River. It was a great fireworks show!!!

Wednesday July 5th

We had morning chapel. We mudded out(moving their furniture, clothes, belongings,and many other things out of their house) three houses. The First house had some stuff in it but it didn't take very long. The second house was packed with belongings, furniture, junk, clothes!!! Every thing was destroyed!!! I felt so bad for that family!!! It took us many hours cleaning out that stuff and moving it to the side of the curb on the street. Their were lots of **** roaches, termites, and many other bugs and a rat!!! The refrigeraters and cabinets smelled so bad because there was still food in them from the hurricane that had rotted and became liquid. It was disguisting!!! Thankfully a really nice guy drove by and bought all of us fried chicken and drinks it was so good!!!! It started Raining and there were thunder storms that were extremely CLOSE TO US!!!! A group of us were standing by our van and we saw lighting strike around 30ft from us!!! It shook the ground and was really cool and scary at the same time!!! We decided to get in the van and the rain Poured down for a half an hour!!! And I mean Poured!!!! The streets flooded from the rain and we were soaked!!!!!!!! Then we went another house owned by the nicest older lady!!! She had all this beautiful antique furniture that was destroyed by the hurricane. There also was a dead dog in her garrage!! It was so sad!!! Luckily we were able to give he some pictures that weren't harmed.Then we went back to SUM and took showers and relaxed.

Thursday 6th of July

We woke up and went to chapel again. We arrived at our house that we gutted out. It was a big triplex in the 9th ward which was a major area that was hit by the hurricane!! We saw houses that were moved into the street by the wind. There also was a shrimp boat that washed a shore and destroyed a path of houses ( I didn't get to see that though) It was a terrible place!!! Sadly I had to leave New Orleans early then the rest of the group, because I have a horse show this weekend that I have to be at. They don't get back till Tuesday. So I only worked half a day and then went to the airport and got back home around 11 last night.

In Conclusion

I really want to go back there again!!! If you ever get a chance to go down there go!!!! It is amazing and rewarding!!!! New Orleans still needs lots of help, their are so many neighborhoods that are abandoned and need houses worked on!!! The people need so much help and they are so open to God right now!!! It is really cool!!!! I really want to go back again this summer!!! I will try to get a picture slide show on my profil so y'all can see what we did!! Please pray for the people down in New Orleans and the ministries down there!!! I encourage you all to join a group and go down their and help!!!! Be thankful for what you have!!!

I had so much fun!!!

Lots of love

Christy

P.S - Excuse the spelling and Grammar