Sign in to follow this  
Triforce Link

Who has seen a Tornado?

I believe it was 2001 when over 300 hit the US in May. I was driving to CO during that and went 5 that touched down just as hubby and I would get about a mile ahead of them. Living where I do now, we get our share and I'd rather not have any at all. My area is usually hit at night when you cannot see them coming or forming. That is what scares me.

I'd rather have a blizzard or hurricane. At least you can prepare for those. Tornados are just sudden ugly things.

I have seen several. When I was 13 my dad and I watched 5 of them within 1 hour around our house. The sky never turned green. It was a beautiful blue. The Andover tornado (1994) was only one mile from my house then. The Haysville tornado in 1999 was a little over 1 mile from the home we live in now. That year we had 3 tornados take the same path, each was 2 weeks apart.

In 2004 one took out the Lucky 7 Saddle club in Mulvane. Luckily the barns and horses were not touched. Here is a link to it.

http://www.mulvaneemergencyservices.org/To...o%206-12-04.htm

And in May of this year one wiped out the town of Greensburg.

They are amazing to watch as long as nothing is in their path. I have respect for them. But I also can't resist the need to watch them. I usually wait until the last minute to go in the storm shelter.

[ 08-30-2007, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: goatmom ]

I've seen a huge cell building right over my house, lots of funnel clouds, and aftermath, but never an actual tornado. Had one so close a few years back that we actually took steps to barricade ourselves. Scary stuff! [Eek!]

Well, I lived through one in the year 2000 and never even knew it was there. I'll share it with you...

... We were at our quilt guild spring tea and had reserved the downstairs to the Municipal building which is also the town storm shelter. We were partying pretty hard, I was the youngest one there under 40 at least. Most of them in their 80s, and we were having cake and punch, playing "quilto" winning quilty gifts and such having a gay old time. When all of a sudden we could see in the sky lights it was raining outside pretty hard but that was it. No windows in the basement of course. then all of a sudden there was an influx of people to the basement. Jehovah's Witnesses to be exact.

Well, since I was in charge of the tea committee, I marched over there and told them that we had rented this and were having a party and they would have to leave. This was no time to have a church service in there and they were going to have to leave. That was when I was informed that there was a tornado outside. I'm like yeah, right, you're still not coming in here, we're trying to give away some door prizes here for goodness sake! Leave! Shoo!

Then I step outside, electric lines down, trees down, houses demolished. We were in total amazement. [Eek!] Then the sad reality hit that all the windows were broken out of the cars. We all carpooled in a suburban and had to drive 10 miles to get home. We were so down to think the glass was broken out of our vehicle but...

...to our surprise! It wasn't!!!! It was intact! We all started jumping up and down in excitement, because we had a windshield!!!Yeeahhhh! So we all pile in the burb, and slam the doors to leave and...

...CRASH! All the glass broke. We all looked like this. [Eek!] Needless to say, it was a windy ride home after it took an hour and a half to figure out how to get out of town due to all the electric lines down.

Just my experience in tornado alley!

I have seen a big one up close and personal,it was December 2001,,just before Christmas of all times.I was at work,I work for a local ambulance service and I am a paramedic.

It just felt bad that morning,the sky was the sick green color and it was really hot and humid,,at around 1pm we heard on the news that one was on the ground only a few miles from our main base,they caught video of it with a sky cam at our local news center.It was a f4,on the ground for 20 mins,covered about 20 miles and left 11 people dead in its wake.

My truck was the first one to go out,,as soon as we had reports it had hit a neighbourhood we were gone,,it was the longest 10 hours on the truck ever and the most heart wrenching experience I have ever had since becoming a paramedic.My partner and I were in the middle of what looked like ground zero for several hours,doing all we could to get people out.Even though we saved many that day,we couldnt help but feel helpless for all the ones left behind with such devestation.

I have seen others,smaller and less destructive..and those images will haunt me forever.That is what keeps us in the field close,,we have only each other to share these experiences with.No wonder most of us get out of this profession after 5 years.Me,,still here after 8 years..I pray no one has to go through anything like that... [Angel]

The only tornado I have ever seen is the one that hit Greensburg, and that was from a distance. I am a volunteer EMT/Firefighter. We were out storm spotting and in a flash of lightening I could see it. The dang thing was so huge I was not even sure what I had seen until I saw pictures of it on TV. We live about 45 miles from Greensburg and were were there about an hour or so after the tornado hit. It was absolutely amazing at how much destruction there was with so few lives lost. It's something I will never forget. In a way though, it's something everyone should see, to be reminded to keep perspective on the things that are really important.

Well I have seen circulation go over my house.

I have seen twisters in many fields. Off going over the wheat field many a time. Coming down the highway.

Skippin down the road or field.

Yep I would say I have seen a few. [Wink]

Best part is seeing one and making it to the over pass in early evening. To watch it come down and go up in the fields beyond.

Or one that can be seen when it is lit up by lightning.

I survived one of the nation's worst on May 31, 1985. I saw three funnels that day on my way to the basement. The F-5 that destroyed my hometown and two of its feeder funnels.

As BRoo says, it's not what you see that really leaves an impression, it's those moments before it hits and the sound of the funnel approaching.

To this day, if the sky turns that ugly shade of yellow-green and/or an eerie calm settles over where I am during a warm, humid day, I go into a full blown panic. I even hyperventilate. Don't even make me look at an updraft.

ya ive seen one. i was visiting my great grandma in oklahoma. we were driving strait for them. when lighning flashed there was one about a mile ahead of us [Eek!]

Didn't really "see" the tornado but saw the aftermath in MI once. Was at a friends stable that I usually spent the weekends at (went out on Friday night and stayed through Sunday). She had a rental stable and we usually started out to the barn about 7:30 after her husband left for work to start grooming and getting ready for the girl scout troops and other riders that came out. This morning wasn't much different than any other Saturday morning. We got up, her hubby left for work, got the kids up and were drinking coffe on the deck outside when the warning sirens went off. We sent the kids and dogs into the basement and sat on the porch watching the weather, drinking our coffee with the sirens going off. Kids are screaming from the basement for us to come down there but we didn't just continued sitting on the deck watching the weather. The barn was behind us across the parking lot about 300 yards blocked from view by the house. Well from where we sat it was all very uneventful. Once the all clear went off, we got the kids and dogs out of the basement and set out for the barn. When we turned the corner around the back of the house towards the barn were we shocked to see the front of the barn missing (couldn't hear anything because of the warning siren that never quit until the all clear). Thank god the front of the barn was not used for anything other than the haunted house during the fall and all the horses were on 24/7 turnout on 100 acres. We loaded the kids in the truck and went to check to see if her parents house was ok (it was directly in the line of where the twister went) it was fine so we went to see the major damage in the town just past her parents house that got hit hard. We didn't get many tornados in MI but you can bet the necxt time those sirens went off, we headed for the basement with the kids.

I've lived in quite a few places and have actually SEEN tornados more times than I can honestly count.

The most surprising though was just outside the Denver airport. The whole place shut down. (it's all glass) It was kind of scary...but was a very small tornado.

Saw a few as a kid growing up in Iowa....once got trapped between two cells..three tornados on the ground and I was trapped in my car--parked in an abandoned brick carwash just off the interstate. That was scary.

Saw MANY when I lived in TX...most notably the one I watched go right over my house as I watched from the barn miles away.

So...i've seen them in CO, KS, OK, TX, IA, and IL. I am totally facinated by them too....

I've never actually seen one, but I did see the aftermath in Leitchfield, Ky that it caused. It was scarey and very quite there in the middle of the country, no tractors were out anymore and no birds were around.

I have seen my share of them. When my son was in 6th grade, he rode his bike to and from school. As he was getting ready to cross the street right in front of the school,the crossing guard told him he better hurry and get home. When he asked her why, she pointed to the left and said" Thats a tornado coming", as she jumped in her car for safety and left my son out on his own. He was thrown into a light post with his bike. Luckily a lady seen him and pulled him into her house and let him call me. As soon as it hit the house, the sound was like a train going over. My first thought was OMG Michael is on his way home.

When I went to get him from the ladies house, he told me what happened. I called the crossing guards supervisor(police dept) and told them what I thought of the situaion. I beleived that she should of sent him back to the school,which was about 25 yard away versus sending him home which was about 1 mile. They suspended her for 3 days over it. Luckily he was not hurt to badly.

They only freakin' suspended her!?!? For felony stupidity!?!?! [Eek!]

The sheer fact that she was that stupid should have been a huge clue that maybe she was too stupid to be a crossing guard for pete's sake!

Sorry, tornado safety and especially involving stupid moves and children really just get me spun up.

Yep, only 3 day suspension. Needless to say after that I would drive and pick up my son from school. I did not want that lady to ever cross my child again. Thankfully the next school year she was gone. Our city has, in my opinion, the worst crossing guards I have ever encountered.

I have seen 4. Well technically 2 one big one with 2 feeders while I was going to college in Hays, KS. I was milking cows at the Universtiy Dairy and had gone outside to bring in more cows when I saw it about 4-5 miles away. SO what do I do but run back into the parlor to get my coworker so we could stand outside and gawk at it! [Roll Eyes]

The last one I saw was just this past May outside of Ottawa, KS. The are amazing and scary at the same time!

Yep, I've seen my share. More than I wanted to see...those things scare the crap out of me.

One time was pretty cool though! I was on an airplane going from Denver CO to Dallas TX and I looked out my window and down at the ground and saw a tornado from a birds eye view! [Cool]

Anywho...if anyone has seen the movie "Night of the Twisters" that is based on a town I once lived in. [Eek!]

3 - Actually saw 2 and was rushing home for another one. The first one was when I was about 6 (43 years ago), it was really large and dark and jumped over our trailer while breaking all of our windows out. The second one I was rushing home from work when my son was about 12, about 13 years ago. I knew we were getting a pretty bad storm but didn't realize there was a tornado. When I got home my son was watching tv in our livingroom and a large cedar tree was down in our yard - if it had fallen the opposite direction it would have landed right on my son in the livingroom. Then the third was just this past summer. I was on my lunch hour from work looking at used cars and was waiting on the salesman when I noticed a bunch of people looking out the door. I went down and saw a light colored narrow tornado. Large white pieces of something was flying around and I asked if we shouldn't be heading for cover since it was coming right at us - about that time a car flew in the air!!! Then the manager headed us for the parts department; one guy had to make a mad dash for the door as we heard the "train" and barely got it shut before we heard a big boom - it lifted the roof but didn't take it off! That was enough for me!