Sign in to follow this  
Triforce Link

Who has seen a Tornado?

Part of the movie Twister was filmed here in and around my town. There is another member that lives in the town the other half was filmed. [Wink] and a

I have seen a lot of them when I was a young girl living on a small ranch near Abilene, Texas. We used to lay on top of the roof, during the storms, and watch the twisters. (Can you believe our parents let us do that!!!--no two twisters are just alike (kind of like snowflakes, but windy). Most we saw were dark and jagged, with constant lightening (& occasional hail)--forming as jags protruding from the larger mass of dark clouds--then jagging on down to touch the earth & moving erratically. Awesome. One night we saw multiple twisters form and touch down--wild! In New Mexico when I was a girl away at horse camp, (near Cloudcroft,) we saw a totally different looking kind of twister--it formed against a backdrop of dark, massed clouds--but it was white-looking, and really long--rope-ey looking--swaying lazily--dragging around touching down--absolutely different from our Texas twisters that we had seen! Go figure.

my favorite movie is Twister(as well as Hidalgo and war of the worlds [Razz] ) most of its computerised but its still cool and the one your talking aboutthe one that was all over the place mustve been a weak F-1

[ 10-18-2007, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Triforce Link ]

I am...respectfully terrified of them.

I personally have never seen one, only what we're pretty sure was a funnel cloud.

I remember being at an indoor horse show on March. It was storming out and we had warnings, but felt it was safer to just stay put. My aunt's friend had already packed up her trailer and gone home, her father was killed in tornado when she was young.

My sister (7 or 8 years old probably) came running into the barn screaming about a tornado. Mom said she was being silly, we would have heard sirens (we actually board about a half mile down the road now and on a perfectly clear quiet day you can BARELY hear the nearest sirens.) and there where people watching the weather, go play. This barn did charity work and the proceeds of the show where going to the charity, so there was a local news crew on hand. Yeah - there was defianitly footage of a funnel cloud going over the barn on the news that night. Touched down just over the over the state line and did a good chunk of damage.

There was a tornado that hit Evansville, IN two (?) springs ago that kills around 200 people because it struck at 2 in the morning. Sirens went off, but very few people heard them. The idea of being asleep and not knowing it was coming scares the crap out of me, when I'm at home I'll sit up late into the night until all the bad weather is past.

Here at my apt at school, we live right next door to a firestation. It's annoying when trucks leave in the middle of the night, but comforting during storms that we will defianitly wake up when the sirens go off, and we have a safe place to run too.

It stormed here the other night, warnings went out. About 10 minutes into Grey's Anatomy the sirens went off. I FREAKED. Grabbed blankets and pillows and shoved them in my hall closet. Thankfully my boyfriend was with me, he grew up in the country (verses me in the city where they're a little less common) and didn't freak out, just put on his boots and went outside to watch. I joined him.

The funnel cloud that set the sirens off was actually on the very southeast side of the city, I live on the northwest so we where never in real danger from it. We're pretty sure we saw the funnel cloud though.

I want to see one in real life...from a very very very very safe distance.

i went through one in 1992-3 don't really remember the year. it took out almost all of catoosa. that was when i was 1-2 years old. then year about two years ago i watched one from over my house. my dad brother and neighbor were just standing outside in complete amazment while my mom was inside the trailer freaking out. when that tornado finally touched down in arkansas it was a f5 i think. i love watching tornadoes from. it's really beautiful. i'd probably be one of those crazy people that's sits out there and watch them go by. here's a good video of one.

i'll try to find a video of the one that hit catoosa

Part of the movie Twister was filmed right outside of my home town it was filmed In the Eldora, Iowa. They even have it set up so you can go and see everything.

I have seen my fair share of tornados living here in Iowa. I have a few pics of it just starting before I took off to the basement.

-

-

-

-

I hope you all enjoy them, this was way before it decided to touch down. I took lots of pics showing all the destruction it left any one interested in seeing them I will post them.

Okay

Havnt seen a Tornado

And im DEATHLY afraid.

I remeber when little ol' Florida was getting hit by all the hurricanes. Power out, were sitting in our living room with every animal but the horses when a sever weather alert comes on the radio. A tornado is running up the side of the St.Johns river heading torward Wards Creek. I live in Wards Creek, about 10 min from the river. My first reaction? OH ****.

I freaked, teared up and started worrying about the horses. Then I grabbed the animals and high tailed it to the bathroom.

Luckily it didnt come close to us.And boy was i glad!!

Im so scared of them!! [Eek!]

Back in August, I saw my 3rd (I think).

We had just gotten some GRAPEFRUIT SIZE HAIL (no joke) and it was so dark outside. The lightning would flash and we could barely make out the funnel going up and down as it came closer and closer.

About 3 years ago, we never actually saw it, but we HEARD the roar. It took down our barn, rolled our hopped grain bins, threw tree branches through the garage windows, picked up the calf huts and dropped them in the shelterbelt trees, rolled our cattle crib feeders, and more. It did all this in about the course of 30 seconds ... About the time it took for my dad (who was OUTSIDE) to run from the quanset (sp?) to the house.

And I've seen a couple here and there in years past.

I don't like them; especially after it took down our barn with my horse in the pasture in the path of the debris!!!

I really don't like them.

Once, when I was about 7 years old. That was scary enough for me, trust me, I'll never forget it. And I'll be more than happy if I never see another one LOL. Of course, living in Tennessee, odds are that I probably won't be quite so lucky.

When I was younger the whole sky would turned a green color and got really quite. Everything seem to stop the birds and dogs would not make any noises.

We lived in the Fort Worth area at the time where the wheather would change within the hour to being really calm to really crazy.

Living further down in Texas is not so bad...thank goodness we did not go through a major one.

~MH

I moved to Eastern Kansas from Utah 6 months ago and I am TERRFIED of tornados! It doesn't help that my kids and husband love to watch Twister Sisters and Storm Chasers! What do we do with our horses when the tornado sirens are going off? I was told to open the gates and let them fend for themselves, and that they will always find their way back home. Does this sound right to everyone or does anyone have better advice?