Sign in to follow this  
shodosgoldenprince

What do you choose to do with your horses....

quote:

Originally posted by Felda5032:

If you've got no time, open the gates and turn them loose and hope for the best. Then, get yourself the heck out of dodge!

Exactly--especially if you have wire fencing that they would get tangled in trying to escape.

That said--I wouldn't want to turn them loose on the suspicion that a tornado is coming (duh) and by the time you know for SURE a tornado is there...it's probably too late to let horses loose and then find shelter for yourself! lol

Luckily, we've only had funnel clouds come about halfway down, for a max of 3 secs. then go back up and touchdown miles away. And this is was our county data-center has to say about our tornado likelyhood... "McCook County historical area-adjusted tornado activity is significantly above South Dakota state average. It is 5.3 times above overall U.S. average"

Well....the key to this scenario is preparation.

First of all....having your horses microchipped is very smart. Secondly, having collars with ID info is a great idea.

Generally speaking a horse has a much better chance of survival in a tornado if they can run away rather than get trapped in a collapsed building.

Conversely, the type of weather associated with possible tornadic activity (lightening, hail) has a much greater risk of mortality if the horse is left out.

So you have a problem.....the liklihood in most areas of a direct hit from a tornado is much lower than getting hit by lightening.

Which is why, if I am watching radar and see a big cell coming, I put the horses in.

I have lived in TX where we'd have sometimes 2 or 3 tornados a DAY for a period of time....and still the biggest killer was lightening. Here in MI, tornadic activity is much much lower....so I try to play the odds and keep 'em in.

All that said, if I saw one coming, I'd turn the horses out.

Same as BUddy-Roo.

In fact we ahd only one tornado touch down within our area,

Went out to put horses,in, due to a severe thunderstorm was on it's way. lightining,hail

No sooner they got in, the storm was here, came quicker than snticipated, lightening strucked in the same area where the horse just grazing a few moments before..

I looked up tothe sky over weat of us, saw how dark the clouds were, the sky getting real balck, green.I Seen a tornado that was forming, It came down 4 miles west of us kept going west.

Then the rain came down in sheets......along with lightening.

I had no idea we were under a tornad o warning at the time...

Unfortuneatly my horses are on their own. They live in a small paddock behind my house in town. Their biggest threat would be from flying debris.

When bad weather hits I am storm spotting. If a tornado would be spotted I would be in my firetruck, keeping it out of harms way, while others would be keeping the ambulances out of the path. If we took a direct hit I would be on an ambulance or firetruck, looking for survivors and transporting them to hospitals. After that I would be looking for the deceased. Eventually I would be able to look for my horses.

After the Greensburg tornado I started looking into storm shelters. I need an above ground one big enough to put two horse-trailer type stalls in with enough room for two dogs and a few people. They are not affordable. I feel sick about it, but there just isn't really anything I can do.

quote:

Originally posted by chele:

After the Greensburg tornado I started looking into storm shelters. I need an above ground one big enough to put two horse-trailer type stalls in with enough room for two dogs and a few people. They are not affordable. I feel sick about it, but there just isn't really anything I can do.

Hubby's been looking into some storm shelters. Safe rooms is what he's been looking at. But we did find a place in Amarillo that has some above ground shelters, but they are called something else. I can't believe how many houses here DO NOT have storm cellars, basements or any other type of storm shelter. We looked at 12 houses in 2 days and NONE of them had storm shelters. [Confused]

You get in the storm cellar.

You do not have time to run out and make sure your horses are out of their pasture.

You would not want to run them out to the road.

A twister in not like a hurricane. You do not know it is going to hit you till it does.

If I have time, turn them loose. Otherwise, have a panic attack (have I said before that even the potential for possible tornadic activity give me honest to god panic attacks?) and hope for the best!

I, too, would love to have a barn with a storm cellar large enough to house us, the horses, cats and dogs. But the expense! We'd have to hit the Powerball!

quote:

Originally posted by JrRodeoMom:

quote:

Originally posted by chele:

Hubby's been looking into some storm shelters. Safe rooms is what he's been looking at. But we did find a place in Amarillo that has some above ground shelters, but they are called something else. I can't believe how many houses here DO NOT have storm cellars, basements or any other type of storm shelter. We looked at 12 houses in 2 days and NONE of them had storm shelters.
[Confused]
Worse yet, we live in a trailer house, so there is no safe room, no basement, no storm shelter. If I were shopping for a house my priority would be a storm shelter. Good luck in finding one, I can't believe so few have them in your area!

Our fraidy hole is a septic tank sunk in the ground with a metal door.Was not all the expensive.And we live in a double wide trailer.

We listen to our storm spotters on the police scanner.And we watch for ourselves.