Sign in to follow this  
Forever in Blue Genes

What about a hail storm? I've been wondering

What about hail, how do you handle that? They are rare here, I do have a run in shelter in the pasture, is it better to open up all the gates (inside only, the perimeter is fenced) and let the horses find the shelter/place they are most comfortable with? Or leave them in the pasture with the run in?

For instance, we have a large pole barn that is open on all 4 sides. In a hail storm would a horse see this as shelter and use it?

I am also curious, I have been thinking about this and Cals question inspired me to ask about hail too.

Well, my experience is that horses are not as smart as we often give them credit for being. Sigh.

In a thunderstorm for example, my girls, who DO use the leanto as a litterbox--I KNOW they stand in there to get out of the bugs for example--will high tail it over to the edge of the pasture where there is some good tree cover.

Now in rain, decent temps? I'm fine with that.

But hail? Well, hail can be quite damaging. I would want to bring them in.

FURTHER, hail is usually an indicator of a very strong storm--so even if the hail is small, you may end up experiencing very strong wind, lightening, before and after. So if the weatherman is predicting hail, I bring the critters in.

If hail can dent cars, break windows and damage roofs, don't think I want my horses out in that.

most definately you will want the horses in during a hail storm. We had record breaking hail here 2 weeks ago...it *almost* broke the WORLD record--I'm talking 7 inch hail here. It killed 3 cows, and hundreds of others had to go on pen. because of all their nasty cuts. I didn't hear of any horse injuries, and I'm hoping that is because people put their horses in!! But once that hail started, there was no going outside for the people either...so you definately have to plan ahead. If it's calling for hail, put em in.

If it's just a lean-to that you have, throw feed in the lean-to to entice them to go in and stay for a while--I've had to do it before [Duh] Dern horses just insisted on standing out in the 20below snowstorm blizzard, and the gate was drifted over and I couldn't get em out

Which leads me to...what do you do with em in a snow storm where the fences drift over!? lol

My horses have shelter if they'll use it. In my experience, hail storms were so brief that when they came they were also quickly gone. 95% of the time forecasters actually call for hail, it never falls anyways.

There is no way I am putting my horses in during a hail storm.

The hail beating on the roof drives them bonkers.

They choose to stand under the trees.

Mine usually just stay under cover in their run-in pens. We don't have trees in the turn out field, so I won't turn them out at all during a storm. (4 boarders have to take turn with the turnout, it's not always available.)

We did get stuck at the barn during a heavy hail storm. Pulled the truck in the hay barn and stood with the horses. My 2 just went on eating like nothing was happening. 4 horses down, the gelding was going crazy.

quote:

Originally posted by Tuckaway:

That's what I was thinking of, especially if it's a metal or tin roof.

Couple years back, I was at my spring Team Sorting League. My mare was freaking out, to the point that my husband got a little mad at me and said "can't you control that horse?" About 2 minutes later - HAIL! Everyone else spread out and got off their horses, there was bucking, rearing, running around like idiots, but not my girl. She was standing there like it was nothing. Completely calm during the storm, it's the time before that freaks her out. And this was hail that was big enough to do $5,000 damage to our truck and $12,000 damage to our trailer.

Two weeks later, we were at a clinic when a tornado passed right by us. Mostly the same people, and the same thing happened. My girl freaked, and I KNEW another storm was coming. She calmed right down once it started...

If there is a hail storm, she usually gets left out in her pasture. She runs for it when it sprinkles, if there's hail, that's where you'll find her. And honestly, it's not much louder in a lean to than a barn. They both are metal roofs.

All three of our guys are the "I could care less" type. When it storms badly they get brought into the indoor arena and given hay. They've always got access to the indoor and are normally smart enough to come him. We just lock them in there when it gets real bad, there's no tree cover in the pasture.

We have a three sided shed that our horses use in their corral. Hail happens here once a year or more. Normally our horses survive unscathed, but one year, we had such a severe hailstorm go through that we had windows broken, roof damage, car damage and after it blew through, discovered that one of our mares was on the wrong side of a fence. All we can figure is that she couldn't see where she was going and just ran. She hit the fence, somersaulted over it (so we are guessing by the tracks and marks on the ground)and ended up in the pole barn out in the pasture. She came out of it with several scratches, some cuts, one swollen leg, but she survived it and is fine now. I would take them in if I could get to them to do so, tin roof or not.

quote:

There is no way I am putting my horses in during a hail storm.

They choose to stand under the trees.

DITTO! Now if they WANT to run into the stall(oversized lean to)they can as it is always open for them,..but the several hailstroms we have had,..they choose the trees everytime!

They do NOT like the sound of hail on the roof of the stall ,..and mine is RUBBER roofing! [Roll Eyes]

They freak out so bad when confined during storms that the protection they could have had by simply being let out is negated by the injuries they sustain TRYING to get out of confinement!

Being in an area where storms,..BAD storms are a regular summer occurance,..along with hail and high winds with lots of trees around,.I am here to tell ya,..they ARE alot smarter than we give them credit for because they DO know that man made buidlings can collapse and are not SO domesticated that they don't go with their first instinct which is to RUN to the trees.

I always worry about them,..and always feel bad about this until they show me what THEY prefer.

If your horse is FINE with being confined during a storm with hail,,..that is great but mine aren't.

No one answer here.

Shelley

At the barn I ride at the roof is tin or somekind of loud metal so if it rains hard or hails u can't hear a thing! so idk in ohio i would bring ur horses in. Like tonight we got a lovely hailstorm!

Sometimes we have hail the size of your fist.

I do not think Plexi-glass with work.

As hail can take out house and car windshields.

My horses have never suffered an injury from being under the trees during a hail storm. I would be more worried with them frantic locked up in stalls.When they roof sounds like it is being jack hammered.

I've always wonder what to do during them to. However, you don't see many of them in Central/Upstate NY where I am now or Maine home state. Interesting though what everyone has said.

quote:

"no one answer"???? why not?

[ROTFL][ROTFL]

Sorry,..I see now how that looks! I meant no ONE answer,..meaning there is more than ONE answer to any given situation because it depends on the horse and how he responds!

I didn't mean that no one should answer the question!

[ROTFL]

Sorry!

Shelley

[ 11-15-2007, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Shelley and Andy Carter ]

3 years ago we had the biggest hail I have ever seen in person, it was about half the size of a golf ball, no where near as big as some of you get I know.

I live right at the start of the hills of the valley, I can see the weather coming between the hills. That day 3 years ago it had been thundering and lightening quite a bit, I was out in the pasture and noticed the hills were slowly dissapering into this white wall. I was sort of hypnotized by it, couldnt figure out what was happening, when it donned on me we were in for a crazy storm! In my barn, the arena is attached to the stalls. THe arena has a tin roof, but the stalls have regular roofing, so its not so loud in the stalls.

So as I was bringing the 2nd to last horse in the hail reached us (it was really quite amazing to watch the huge hills get swallowed up by the white wall!) When I went to get the last horse she was under the huge pines in the field. Literally 1 step out from under the tree and this FREAKIN HUGE branch crashes to the ground, right where my mare was! It for sure would have been a life ending injury for her if I had NOT brought her in.

So now, when we get a hail warning, I bring the horses in, always.

I always put mine in. I do have two that flip out when it hits, so i'll put one of the dead heads in with them (they get along) and they're fine. I have since gotten ear plugs for one that I haul the most so it's easier on him.

quote:

Originally posted by Shelley and Andy Carter:

quote:

"no one answer"???? why not?

[ROTFL][ROTFL]

Sorry,..I see now how that looks! I meant no ONE answer,..meaning there is more than ONE answer to any given situation because it depends on the horse and how he responds!

I didn't mean that no one should answer the question!

[ROTFL]

Sorry!

Shelley

heh sorry! [Crazy]