Sign in to follow this  
Felda5032

Alrighty. How about forrest/brush fires?

Alright, talk about fires in the surrounding terrain.

Personally, I've never had this situation come up, so I really don't know what I'd do yet. I'd probably move them if the fires get too close or the smoke gets too heavy in the air.

We actually were talking about this not too long ago.

Since most forest/brush fires give a little warning, best bet is to have an emergency plan that includes a remote location where you can move the horses.

If you cannot haul the horses out, i'd be walking out on foot if time/safety permits.

Else, name tags, and turn loose--if it's rapidly approaching.

Most horses do not burn, they die of smoke inhalation. And fires can be very disorienting. So your horse's best chance is if you can load up and haul out.

I worry about this every year.

Although we have a way to get them out and a place to take them, our problem is getting home from work soon enough to get them out. We work an hour away from our home and if it is a fast moving fire that started close enough, we wouldn't be able to get there in time.

In that case, I have a neighbor that would porbably tag them and turn them loose for me.

We've actually had to move them. When we were in NV, there was fire just 'over the hill' from us. The canal seperated us, so I wasn't worried about the fire, but the smoke. We loaded up the horses, goat and outside foster dog and went to 'visit' my mom about an hour from us.