Sign in to follow this  
chele

SW Kansas Ice storm

YUCK!

The good news is we have had about 2 1/2 inches of rain. The roads have stayed relatively safe tor drive on. The bad news is that quite a bit of it froze to the trees, so we have lost quite a few limbs. And I have been up since 4am for two fire runs and an ambulance transfer to a town 90 miles away. THEN I went to work and did a days work in 3 hours! *LOL*

Here's some pics of our yard and stuff:

The rail on our deck last night:

-

My pathetic trees:

-

More pathetic trees:

-

My fence:

-

My "enclosed" stock trailer!

-

Wow we are in SE KS and nothing that bad. We managed to miss the big storm last year and hope we are going to miss it all this year. Are you doing okay otherwise?

Yup, we are fine. We lost power a few times tonight, but our awesome city crew had it back on in less than an hour!

Thanks for asking!

You're lucky you missed out on all the fun! [Crazy]

Yeah I live just in eastern Kansas and things aren't very bad everything off the ground is thick in ice and the trees and power lines are hanging low. Heres some pictures I took yesterday before the second rain. They are kinda crappy because I was freezing my butt off with no coat. I am going down to Hutch today and taking my camera with me so I can get some pictures of their damage.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

[ 12-12-2007, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Maskmeashadow ]

Yikes! We're heading up to Topeka today for a two day meeting. I'm hoping it's not too bad. I know the roads should be clear. Snow is predicted for Friday, so I hope I can get hope safely!

The poor people in OK have it a lot worse. I have heard that tons of them don't have any electricity. It's just too dang cold to not have electricity! I'm real thankful that our city guys are willing and able to repair lines no matter how bad the weather. We have our own power generators so when the main grid lines go down our town can still have power.

Thats how Hutch,KS is. We went over there today for my braces and over half the ton still doesn't have power and won't for many more days. They have hooked up around 2000 power lines so far but can't get them all working yet because more trees are falling right after they get them up. I took tons of pictures of them today. Some have trees dangling right on the power lines if you look. There is one picture where right after I snapped the pic this huge tree atleast a foot wide fell straight in front us from the tree I was taking a picture of. My mom floored the car backwards to get out of there so I couldn't get an after shot of the tree. Many of the bad parts of town we just drove around but didn't go close because of the trees and power lines that were falling each time we would try to go either way.

Heres the photo album with the Hutch and South Hutchinson pics in it(I still have more to upload)--

http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff264/p...aginator=bottom

My town didn't get it nearly as bad as we did in 2005. We had lost electric for way over a week and our home filled with carbon crap so I had to live with my grandma for quite sometime. School was also canceled for days. We only had 1 day out this time since the streets aren't iced over.

I'm up in the Abilene, Junction City area and we are without power. It's pretty bad up here. I went to work today and could not believe the amount of power lines down. It will be a while before we have power. And now we are supposed to get snow on top of it. I have pictures but they are on the computer at work and I have no internet at work because it's down.

We are running a generator part time here at home so I thought I would see if our internet was up and here I am.

Stay safe everyone.

quote:

Originally posted by Tuckaway:

chele and piper,Any snow yet?

We have about 3 to 4 inches and it is coming down heavy and blowing.

Oh yeah, I think we got about 4 or 5 inches. It started Friday morning. Of course, I was in Topeka for a meeting. We left a couple of hours early and got to drive home in the storm. Then Saturday morning I got to drive the ambulance to a town two hours away! ugh. I never got any picture though.

We had about 6" of snow friday night into saturday morning. Ours drifted a lot because of the wind. I'm so ready to have power back on. It will be a week tomorrow morning at 2:30 am. I'm not sure when we will be back on at home.

We are headed to Baxter Springs on Friday, hope the weather holds, my MIL was without power for about 4 days during the storm that hit there. We are going up to install the heatpump she bought last summer. She has a floor heater, Im glad she did as the heatpump would have done her no good. I am going to try to talk her into buying a generator too.

I used to have a floor heater, I really miss it! I had a rack over it to dry my clothes on, it was great!

A generator would be a good idea! We have one for the camper, but we haven't done the wiring for the house/heater yet.