Sign in to follow this  
lopenslow28

I am new to HC too!

Thought I would try out this bulletin board stuff! I have just started cruising through HC within the past week or so and didn't realize how much fun it is. I am still trying to figure things out here and there but it is great.

I have 2 QH's and 1 paint right now. My pride and joy is my 3 yr. old QH. I had 60 days put on her by a trainer and I have done all the training since then. It has been a struggle at times but she is my baby and I wouldn't trade her or anything at this point. My husband has been getting into Team Roping so I have been getting her on cattle quite a bit which is so fun. She LOVES to chase them down.

The only problem I continue to have with her is leads. She used to be really sticky with her right lead, but now she decided to not take her left. She KNOWS her leads because when I get after her a few times she will take it. Not sure if this is just a 3 yr. old thing or not. I am hoping she will eventually quit fighting me on it as long as I am persistant. We'll see. If anyone has any advice to offer, feel free!

I tried to put a picture of my horse on here but can't figure out how...HELP!

[ 07-13-2006, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: lopenslow28 ]

Hi! you can put a pic on by going to photobucket.com .....upload pics..then using the IMG number copy and psste on your post...let me know how that goes!! Also do you ride WP?? just guessing by your name Lopinslow [smile] ....I have a 3 year old QH as well...and he is awesome...about your leads it is because she is young. My QH gelding does that as well, it is because they are usually weaker on one side. What you should do is put a halter on her, and hold her with one hand and a whip in the other. Standing to her side pull her head towards you(flexing) just enough were she knows your are there. Then with the whip tap her forward so her she step forward crossing her hinds(pretty much side-passing)..this may sound a bit confusing but I hope you understand....try doing this a few times both sides every day. It will strengthen her muscles. Also when you ride her at ajog/trot flex her neck right and left. At the canter ask her to move out a little faster and she should eventually switch on her own. I prefer the ground methods, but you can try what suits you better! Whew lots of info [big Grin] anyway, I am new as well, and i really enjoy HC, so I know you will to. Oh! and also tell me what is team penning like I am thinking of trying it with my gelding!

Welcome to HC! [smiley Wavey]

Hopefully I can answer most of your questions or lead you to someone who can. My youngster still needs quite a bit of work before we head off into leads. When their young it takes them awhile to get it down. But maybe you could post your questions in the Training Forum and perhaps someone could help you there.

Posting pictures can always be tricky but first of all get a Photobucket account. You have your pictures already on the computer right? When you log in click upload and find the file that you have the picture in and then "upload" it. It's very confusing at first, but after awhile it becomes second nature.

[ 07-13-2006, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Running_Free ]

Thanks, guys! I will try the photobucket thing right away. I showed pleasure a but and rode on the equestrian team the university I went to. I LOVE being around the cattle. Even though I my horse and I don't know really what we are doing, we still always ahve fun being on cattle. Our neighbor just brought some steers home he said we could work on so it will be a good opportunity for me to get my horse actually work cattle ont he fence and getting her to read them. Then we will really be having fun! [Yay] I think penning would be a blast. It is fun to watch too!

Thanks for the lead ideas. My horse sidepasses real well and we do that all the time as well as two tracking at a walk and trot and counter bending. She does everyhting else wonderfully without a fight. She just turned 3 in May so she is still young yet. I have to remember that!

Anyway, thanks for good advice!

Hmm...I would think a red roan. My horses sire Zippy De Zip produced 70% roan..so I am guessing him being a child would produce the same if he was a stallion..but with any other red roan I would think the same, since they are both kind of red..but no idea [Question]

OH!! I just noticed your mares breeding!!! Just thought I would mention that Zippo babies are really sweet aren't they!!! [Angel] .......well maybe not always angels...lol..but pretty close

I love it here so far. It is so fun to see other people's pictures and to get advice. it is good to know that I am not the only one that has the problems I do with my horse!

*ZIPS* I would love to see your dun pony! I love duns. I told myself I would never get ust a plain old "brown" horse (even though there are very many beautiful "brown" horses out there...I have one!)

quote:

Originally posted by lopenslow28:

She's a red dun. The sun really bleaches her out in the summer so she is really light. What do you get when you cross a roan with a dun anyway?

I missed this one earlier. It also helps to know the base color of the roan, to get an idea. When you figure everything into the equation you get a few options of what could come out of the breeding. The roan seems to be a pretty dominant gene though.

quote:

Originally posted by lopenslow28:

He is a red roan. So maybe it would be a "droan"? Ha! Lame I know.

Kinda lame, but I LIKE it. [ROTFL]

That mix has enough genetic possiblility, you could almost get anything--

Genetic possibilities run through

Bay, Black, Red, Buckskin Dun, Grulla, or Red Dun

and then you could get any of those with the Roan gene thrown in. It is such a crapshoot. The next thing you could do to play the odds in your favor is if you know a trend with a stud or mare, you have a better idea what genes it throws more often. It does seem that a lot of the roans really throw that gene alot though and it is a dominant gene.