Sign in to follow this  
colliemum

Hi from Maine

hi everyone. I am new here. I am proudly owned by a 6 year old rough collie and my midlife crisis, a 21 year old Appendix named Chance. I do a little riding when time permits ( Western ), but mostly just enjoy having a horse again. I had a pony as a child, and returned to horses after most of the kids were grown.I'll post his before and after pics when I figure this out. He was in pretty rough shape when I got him, completely spoiled at this point. Hope to hear from other horse addicts. [Wink]

Hi Maine from West Virginia!!

I'm new here too!! Trying to figure out this MSG board thing, screwed it up twice so far... [Embarrassed]

I also just got back into horses too. I used to ride when I was younger, jumping and dressage, but now that I'm older (and more breakable), I prefer to ride for pleasure. My horse on the other hand, does not [Frown] . She is a total basket case [Crazy] . I bought her from someone that I did not know, and he turned out to be a very dishonest and cruel man. She was fine when we took her for a "test drive". She was perfect and calm and GORGEOUS!(In my eyes at least)A little thin, but I fixed that. She showed no signs of being drugged so I bought her on the spot (first mistake). After about a week or so she turned into a nightmare, jumpy as all get out, threw my husband off twice and dragged one guy down a gravel driveway (the guy deserved it though in my eyes, he took her without asking!) I was puzzled by her behavior and asked around and it turned out there is this "practice" here of "bleeding" horses to keep them calm enough to give the buyer the impression that it is a sound animal. Takes the horse about a week to build it's blood supply back to a normal volume.

I am now learning the "fine art" of horse training [bang Head] She has gotten a whole lot better with what I call "Triscuit Training" she loves those things! Every time she does what I ask of her without a whole lot of drama, she gets a Triscuit. Seems to be working well, She hasn't thrown, dragged or killed me... yet. [Yay] Turns out she racks on occaision too. Gotta figure out how to get her to do it on cue though. Never rode a racking horse, so I am CLUELESS!

Oh yeah, I also bred her to a cute lil black and white Tennessee Walker paint (I'm gonna be a GRANDMA!!I can't wait, babies are so cute. Have 9 more months to go.) That calmed her down a little bit and made it alot easier to work with her.

I will try and post some pics too, If i can figure it all out.

Anyway Welcome to the Board [Huggy]

Welcome to HC. I hope you have fun on the boards. The training page has some great people on it and always have great advice. But as in everything everyone has there own opinion on how things should be done. But that is what makes this a great board in the fact that you get lots of opinions. Have fun with your new horses. [smiley Wavey]