Sign in to follow this  
figmoc06

Middle-aged riders

Hi and welcome!

On the general chit chat forum you'll find a thread 45 and older and still riding. And a ton of adults 18 on up hang out there, and many other places on Horse City.

If you hang around a few weeks, you'll figure out where the middleaged riders like myself are posting!

Oh, yeah, I'm middle aged, and I still ride.

Again welcome! [big Grin]

YOU BET Im middle aged. I like to think so anyway I may be a little bit over. Im 59.

but I read one time. HOW OLD WOULD YOU BE IF YOU REALLY DIDN'T KNOW HOW OLD YOU WERE. [Yay]

Great - I found 2 already!

What do you ride? I have a 14 year old buckskin quarter horse/draft cross gelding who I have to say is the best horse in the world! To me, anyway. I just ride for pleasure or just hang out with him. Do you have the same fears that middle age seems to bring - like falling? Seems I don't bounce as well as I used to - more like a splat. So...I just walk & occasionally trot, sometimes just sit on him and think about how lucky I am to have him. Never had the opportunity to ride much when I was younger, much less own a horse. Better late then never! He's recovering from a heel injury right now and I'm just starting to ride him a little - poor guy has been stall-bound the last couple of months - he's usually on pasture all the time. I'm hoping the vet gives the OK for him to go back outside and be a horse again. In the meantime, the people where I board are kind enough to exercise him in the round pen when I can't be there.

By the way, I do consider 59 still middle aged - I'm 52 - still can't believe I'm not still in my 40's! Time goes by way too fast if you ask me.

Anyone care to share some information? Where do you live, how much do you ride, etc. etc. etc.

Hello from another over-the-hill rider! I still ride--although not as often as I'd like--and I share your reluctance to go splat. So I wear a safety helmet these days. I feel stupd, but safer! I ride an American Saddlebred on the trails, so life is always interesting. (She's 19 but she doesn't know it.)

Welcome! [big Grin]

See? There are lots of us!

I'm 43, almost 44. I ride dressage and also huntseat.

I ride dressage right now because that's my horses training, and also my dressage trainer loves jewerly. So I make her some earrings or a bracelet, and I earn myself a lesson or two. I like barter for my lessons. lol

But yes bighorse, I'd be happy just being around our beautiful horses.

Do you have any photos of your horse?

Mine is a 16 year old trakehner. Flea bitten grey, with the gentlest nature ever . Love my boy. [big Grin]

bighorse- Welcome to HC!! I am probably a bit over the middle aged rank cause I am 60.I am the one who started the 45 plus gang on chit-chat,so come on over as we love new people to ride the trail with us.

Happy trails!

Heaven

Not quite over the hill but getting close enough. I'm 34 soon to be 35(don't know why that bothers me more than turning 30 did [Eek!] ). I barrel race and pole bend. Welcome!!

quote:

Originally posted by illinois racer:

Not quite over the hill but getting close enough. I'm 34 soon to be 35(don't know why that bothers me more than turning 30 did
[Eek!]
). I barrel race and pole bend. Welcome!!

hahaha, the 35 number bothered me more than 30 also! hahaha

Hi and welcome. I'm 59, and usually hang out with the 45+ gang on General Chit Chat. Come on over anytime. The coffee's always hot and fresh, and Jack keeps us well supplied with no calorie sweets.

I trail ride on a fat, lazy, appaloosa whenever it gets above 0. I also worry about going splat instead of bouncing like I did when I was younger, so we don't do many high speed events.

Kate

I'm going to check out the 45 plus gang - thanks!

I ALWAYS wear a helmet nowadays. My horse trips alot (navicular "syndrome") and a former vet warned me that there's nothing pretty about scrambled brains. Good enough reason for me!

Yes, I have TONS of pictures of my boy, but I don't have the slightest idea how to get them on here. Seems like all this new technology just appeared out of nowhere while I was asleep or something. Kind of embarassing, really. Plus, I just got my computer a few months ago. Any instructions would be appreciated!

I just ran out of room on here - not much space to write, is there?

I learned to ride English, but now I just ride Western. I feel much more secure in a bigger saddle. Barclays - what exactly IS hunter? I'm not anywhere near what you would call a "good" rider - I'd love to take lessons, but money is really tight now, especially since I'm paying more for stall board while he's laid up. I do read everything I can get my hands on, though. Especially John Lyons, Monty Roberts, Clinton Anderson, Craig Cameron - love to get a book by Chris Cox, but all I've seem from him are DVDs. I do have some from John & Clinton that I got on eBay - retail prices on them are ridiculous. I'm also afraid to canter - I had a horse run away with me a few years ago - luckily, it was in an arena - he tore around that arena going 90 miles an hour (or so it seemed!) and I had a death grip on the saddle horn - the trainer kept yelling for me to pull back on the reins, but there was no way I was letting go! He finally stopped, I got down, went home and cried. My horse did go into a lope when he was trotting once and when I realized it, it was so smooth! Of course, I panicked and went back to a trot.

Thanks to everyone for replying - I think I'm going to enjoy talking to new people! I'm going to check out the 45 plus site now.....

[smiley Wavey] WELCOME to HC!

There are lots of older folks on HC. I am 57 & have been around horses since I was 13.

Never be afraid to admit your fears....they will keep you safe till you are ready to try new things. There was an entire thread on here once about riding fears.....it included several people.

There is a great book that might help you a lot. It is called "Simplfy Your Riding" part of the Centered Riding philosophy. HTTY = Happy Trails To You

Being 60 this year puts me a little past middle age, but I still ride whenever I get a chance! Keeping up with 20 or so horses kind of cuts into riding time!

Bighorse I ride a mule. I have team roped, shown western pleasure and now I just trail ride.

I haven't even considered slowing down. Last summer I went hiking in the Witcita Mountains of Ok., went to Colorado and went trail riding, then wandered all over Colorado on the way to the Grand Canyon to ride the mules. I have at least that much planned this summer. Your only as old as you think you are. God has been good to me and as long as its His will I am going to burn the candle at both ends. Here is a picture of me in Colorado last summer. The girl is the daughter of a friend of mine. Her dad is taking the picture and both mules are mine.

-

[ 02-04-2007, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: AR Mulerider ]

Hi Ozland, I have you beat--and I have to admit that I'm quite a few years beyond "middle age." Let's just say I'm eligible for Medicaire! I plan to ride as long as I can sling a leg over the saddle.

That was good info about the thread--I'll check you guys out. [Wink]

Goodmorning! A hunter is a horse that in days of old used to foxhunt carrying the rider over hedges, and fences in pursuit of a fox.

So basically it's a Jumping horse [big Grin]

I don't have much extra money after my kids sports, but I"m fortunate and barter for my lessons. My dressage trainer trades me jewelry I make in exchance for lessons. It's worked out great!

Hi Ther Big Horse,

Glad to see that there are some of us left (middle aged riders). I'm 59 and live in Las Vegas, Nevada. Have six horses on the property. I board two for my wifes girl freind. It pays to feed all of them. I trail ride. We used to team pen, but when the wife started beating my times by minutes it was time to give it up. We spend most of our time trail riding now.We also have a small place in Utah. Great for getting out of the desert heat during the hot summers in Las Vegas.Last year we rode in California (Santa Rosa & Santa Barbra) and Arizona, Utah and some great rides here in Nevada.I'm on the computer at work. Lunch is over so I have to go. Happy Trails and hope to hear from you.

Hey pearlygates ranch!

Got your message - I'm new at this too and I keep getting lost in here! At least I found your post on the first try! So you're from NY too? Which part? I'm from the Western NY area, just outside of Buffalo. How long have you been in Vegas? My father & brother both lived there for about 15 years, until my father died about 8 or 9 years ago, and my brother came back this way. I've only been there once, and that was when my father died. Not a good time for sightseeing. How do you keep your horses in that heat? I was there in February and I thought it was wonderful, being in the high 50's, but my brother was freezing! It's been bitter cold here all week; wind chills down to minus 20 at one point. Sounds like you do alot of travelling with your horses - something I'd love to do but I don't have a trailer. Have any pictures of your horses? I want to post some of my boy but I don't have the slightest idea how to do it. Can anyone out there give me instructions?

Thanks Barclay - clears that up for me.

I know what you mean about not having much money. After my horse's expenses, especially after he cut his heel and had to be stalled the last 3 months, and the vet bills, it's been pretty tight. He's just about ready to go back outside full time though. Mind you, I'm not complaining - he's worth every cent. I figure, I don't go out to bars or anything, so his expenses are my entertainment! Can't think of anything better to do anyway! Plus, having a little trailer out there makes for some great getaway weekends with my boy.

Hey Bighorse, I'm originally from your neck of the woods! Kinderhook, Ny, on the Hudson River. It really IS horse Country, no matter what we say out here!

I'm the early middle-aged sort (44,yikes!) [Eek!] and do fear falling since I got hurt badly about a year ago. Its so nice to know there are those of you out there that admit your fear. Now I'm into just trail rides on pleasant horses, though I am breaking my mustang, he's a gentle critter. [smile]

Welcome!! And i don't know how to post pics either!!!

Bighorse and Wyldesage- I used to live in Malta, NY just 15 minutes south of Saratoga.

You probably know where that big horse farm was just off exit 12 of the Northway. I lived right down the road.

Have fun with your ponies.

Heaven

heaven58 we all need to post a thread about upstate NY!!! I used to drive past that farm and drool.. [Razz] It really is horse country (boy do I miss the green grass) Oh, and don't you love the way its pronounced: Mauwlta! [ROTFL]

Hey - most of you are from the other side of the state! I've never been in those areas - closest I've been is Port Jervis when I went to see Clinton Anderson a couple years ago. Sure was some beautiful country out that way. We drove along the river - Delaware? - and on that winding road that was in some car commercials. Just south of where I am, down in Cattaraugus County, is some of the prettiest country I've seen. Lots of rolling hills - actually the foothills of the Allegany Mountains. I lived down there for 5 years and really miss it. I'd love to camp down in Allegany State park with my horse but I don't have a trailer. Have to find someone who does and wants to do the same thing! What a relief to know I'm not the only one who doesn't know how to put pictures in here! I'll bet if we went on the kids' site they could tell us!

Welcome to Horse City! I am 45 yrs old and originally from CT can't stand the cold. Down in SC now and don't ride too much too busy with the rescues!And i also work in order to pay for having a yard full of horses LOL