Sign in to follow this  
Coppertop

Rowan the Belgian *CAM IS BACK UP* new URL pg 6

Hi all! I bought Rowan on Mothers Day, she came home June 4. She was a broodmare for the past 7 of her 9 years, her new job is supposed to be spoiled riding horse but she had one last fling with the belgian stud at her old farm. Surprise, we're having a baby.

We did have a heads up from her seller, her 2006 foal died (we're not sure how far along she was) and she was "probably" rebred. He didn't know when the tryst occurred.

I was thinking she'd be due Feb or March but the vet and the farrier said she's due in early January, possibly even December!! I've been reading these foal watch threads for months now (I love them!) and I planned on posting a thread, eventually. Getting the due date news made me hop on it.

Due to Rowans incredible disposition (probably the belgian in her) papa don't preach I'm keeping the baby. At 9 years old she had never been ridden or driven once and I was trail riding her in a week. She's a doll! My husband already has the babys name picked: Guinness.

Here is Rowan when she first got here:

-

Sometime in July:

-

And recently:

-

10/14/06

-

10/18/06

-

11/5/06

I'm toying with the idea of putting in some sort of wireless camera system and uploading to my website, any recommendations for not-too-ridiculously priced wireless cam systems?

[ 01-16-2007, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Coppertop ]

Welcome Coppertop!

Glad to have you and your beautiful Rowan here!

She is wonderful looking! I adore Belgians and have been looking for one for months for my husband!

I have sought the help of a friend nearby who has two Belgians.

I really hope you get a foal cam hooked up as I would LOVE to follow Rowan's progess!

I highly reccomend using WeFoal.com as your webserver as they were extremely good to me and their customer service is OUTSTANDING!

I can't help ya with wireless prices as I used a cabled webcam. It is a Logitech Orbit Quick Cam and has sound and color and if you have broadband service, you will be ecstatic with the picture it produces!So if you can hook up the cables,..I'd go with that one,.otherwise,.the wireless ones get very pricey!

Congrats on your upcoming foaling and keep us posted on her progress and always ,..lots of PICS!

[smiley Wavey]

Shelley

[smiley Wavey] Hi Coppertop, Rowan is very pretty.I can't wait for this big baby please keep us updated.

I almost got a Belgian stud from the auction,but I made a big mistake by bringing my hubby and he said NO WAY.he was real nice too a big fat sweet boy,and they sold him for $200.00.man I was so mad at my hubby,now when ever we go to the auction he don't say anything. guess thats way we have 7 horses now.

We got our wireless cameras from x10.com. Around 100 bucks for 3 cameras and the wireless boxes. They are security cameras and only go about 100 feet but work great. I think they sell extension boxes, at least I hope so, cause we built our barn 150 feet away from the house and our one mare is due in Jan and the other in April, so we need to get them mounted in the new barn! Good luck!

Okay I went ahead and bought 115' of cabling and I'm going to try it out with my web camera. If it works okay I'll sign up with wefoal.com. This is exciting!!

Congratulations on your Foal Watch!

[big Grin]

I also have a draft/cross mare due in March and I am watching to see how big your baby is...to give me an idea of what is to come for me!

Is Rowan more stand offish now that she is getting so close?

oh my coppertop What a surprise. How exciting a draft foal watch, i haven't seen one on here in a long time. she is just as gorgeous as ever.

By the way how is nursing school? pm me if you like.

[ 11-12-2006, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: june bug ]

Coppertop, Rowan is just gorgeous! I love belgians. My mare kind of looks like a mini version of Rowan, and my filly like an even mini-er version!!

I can't wait to see this baby!

Oh boy.. I just got back in from feeding Rowan.

My neighbor told me a while back to palpate Rowans butt muscles above and beside her tail. She said I'd be able to tell when Rowan was getting closer because the muscles would get mushy.

I didn't think I'd be able to really tell.

Well I noticed tonight when I went out that her tail looks lower, and her rump flatter. I poked her rump muscles and it feels like jello!!

I ran over and felt my geldings rump too, to make sure and his feels totally different, firm.

No change in her teats.

So what does this mean, timewise? She's a big girl and her belly is definitely big and dropped, but she just doesn't look big enough to me to be due anytime soon. Her Spring '06 foal didn't make it so I'm worried.

Any expert opinions??

I went back out to check on her and I actually looked at her teats (instead of like I usually do, just reach under and feel the size) and she had little wax balls on the ends of the nipples. I squeezed them a little and a few drops of clear liquid came out.

-

Here's a youtube video of her mushy butt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I4cM-LbfWk

I'm so excited!! I'll post a link to her web camera as soon as I get it up on wefoal.com

Hey Copper...when exactly did she lose her last foal? Looks like waxing to me. Some mares will do that for a while but is a good indicator that foaling is not to far away, plus the mushy butt. Her butt will get mushier than it is in the video, almost where you can lose your whole fist in it if you mash on it.

Keep us posted OK.

Keep us Posted on Rowan's progress...

Sounds like she is getting ready to foal....Don't want to post any predictions...You know they wait forever after you guess a date to foal [Wink]

Those mares just love to keep us guessing! [Roll Eyes]

WOW her butt is really mushy! Looks like she is getting closer. I am so excited @ this baby! A draft baby how cool! I am sorry about her last foal. Do you know why it didnt make it?

Kim

Her wefoal.com cam is up:

Rowans Cam

I let her out during the day if I'm home so if she's not there, she's stretching her legs.

No more signs that I've noticed. Anytime I give her a squeeze, drops of clear come out but her bag size is unchanged, its almost normal size.

Maggie's Mom and gakim26 we don't know why or when she lost her last foal. The guy we bought her from has 100 drafties and he runs them pretty much like cattle... when he saw she was no longer pregnant he put her back with the stud ASAP. He thought she was an ODD horse because "for some reason she actually seems to like people." He said she "annoyed" him for attention when he'd feed them. [Mad] She's such a love.

When I met her and bought her on Mothers Day this year the other mares were having babies left and right but poor Rowan was babyless. She was very sleek when I bought her so I don't think she'd lost it recently. And the seller said it would be a winter foal. I don't even want to call him and ask him any further questions about it for fear he'd try and have some claim on the foal (no way would I let any horse go to his farm). He'd said if it was a colt he'd like first option to buy it back on the cheap, he gets more for colts at auction. No way. We want 2 belgians anyway so if this foal survives we'll have our team [smile]

On that note, check out this pic I took on the day I bought Rowan, this is NOT ROWAN, this is another horse there who'd had this baby in the last 24 hours:

-

I can't imagine one of those is really in her belly! So exciting!

This was babyless Rowan that same day:

-

Dakotas Divine my horse breeder friend guessed Christmas from pics, so it'll probably go to Valentines Day lol.

[ 11-21-2006, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Coppertop ]

[Yay][Yay][Yay][Yay][Yay][Yay]

CAM'S UP! There's the pretty pregopottamus!

Wahoooooo!

*sigh* I just know when this is all over with I am gonna be looking even HARDER for that Belgian mare I want!

[Crazy]

EDITED TO ADD: Who's the cutie patootie in the stall next door??? [Wink]

[ 11-21-2006, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Shelley and Andy Carter ]

Preggopotamus, LOL I love it!!

Thats Cyrus next door.. he's our 3 yo appy/walker. He's going to be an uncle if Rowan will let him, she's being awfully crabby to him lately.

Someone told us to staple up cardboard or something so he can't see into her stall or she'll hold in the baby.. what do you all think?

-

Coppertop,..I think any mare can get used to anything as long as she is exposed to it enough and as long as he isn't baderging her relentlessly and invading her space she will be fine with him.

I had Dutchess, my old TB with Lilly and when Lilly got real cranky,.I knew it was time to take Dutchess out and did. But Lilly seemed to feel less alone by having Dutchess there to watch over her. It never stopped her from laying down or resting and it certainly didn't stop the labor once it got that far. That's nature and the mare's can't fight that.

Labor is caused by a hormone released by the foal that says it's time to be born and the mare can't stop that.

Since you have a cam up you will knwo more about her behavior than if you didn't so you will notice changes in her and you will just "know" when it's time to take him out so she can rest easy.

He sure is a cutie!

Also,..can you add that your cam is up to the original title of this thread? If you don't know how to change the title I can tell you how.

I just KNOW more people will want to watch this pretty girl and probably haven't seen in your thread that the cam is up!

Thanks

shelley

Coppertop:

So glad you got the cam up. I just love your mare. I cant wait to see this baby. It sure sounds like you rescued her from a pretty bad place. She is a lucky girl.

I love your appy/twh cross. He has a TWH conformation and the appy coloring. Is he gaited?

Kim

[Yay][Yay][Yay]

Thanks Copper! I wanted some company on those long nights of watching your beautiful girl and I know now that they realize the cam is up,..I will get that!LOL

[Huggy]

Shelley

Coppertop, I think Rowan would be fine with your appy watching. My mare (and 2 others) foaled out in the pasture with 9 other horses. I was extremely nervous about it but everything turned out just fine!

I love those new pictures you posted, the one with all the drafts in the field is just gorgeous!

Thanks for the replies! When I bought her all those mares were having their babies in the same pasture so I figured she'd be OK unless his being a gelding might make a huge difference.

When I'm home during the day (TG vacation right now) I like to let her out to stretch her legs. Today when I was putting her back in the barn I gave her teats a pinch and they *squirted* (before they just dripped a drop or two). Bag size is unchanged though.

Kim Cyrus is gaited and he's the first gaited horse I've ever ridden, its SO cool!!

In July 2005, my mare foaled out in a field with 2 other ponies just fine. No issues, when it was time they went to the other side of the field to let her be with him.

She sure is a purty mare...She looks like this mare I almost bought. How tall is she???

Love that appy/twh cross...very unique.

(((HFV))) from Alberta

hi coppertop, i am very much looking foward to your lovely lady taking center stage where she belongs with the best baby any of that dealer dude you bought her from could hope to produce, becouse love makes all the difference!!!! is there any such thing as appy/paint crosses? your handsome appy looks part paint, i have never seen one with his pattern, very unique, at least to me, beautiful.

ARGH!! I bought a new web cam since mine was a freebie from like, 2001 when I signed up for earthlink or something. It had such a crummy pic. So I bought a new one and have had frustrating technical difficulties for a day and a half. It SEEMS to be ok now *fingers crossed*.

Heh, heres a funny pic from today, Rowan likes to go in Cyruses stall on her way outside, just to check and see if he left some crumbs.

I think Rowans maternal instinct must be kicking in because Angel the goat NEVER could have gotten away with this a few weeks ago:

-