Sign in to follow this  
BRTrainer

FREE Barrel Horse? What To Do???

Well We Found Out From A Friend That Someone Was Giving Away A Barrel Horse. Well We Called The Number, And Sure Enough, The Horse Was Absolutely Free. Well The Same Day We Drove Over There To Check Her Out (Excpecting The Worse- Dead Lame, Or Some Kind Of Underlying Sickness). She Was A Bay Appaloosa, And Around 14 Years Old. Well We Checked Her Out, Seemed To Be In Good Body Condition, Hooves Seemed A Bit Long, But In Good Condition, And We Trotted Her Out, And She Appeared To Be Sound. Well We Decided "For Free, Why Not Take A Chance" So We Went Home, Got Our Trailer, And Picked The Horse Up (Loaded Exceptionally Well). We Got Her Home, And Let Her Out To The Pasture. Everything Was Going Good, They All Seemed To be Getting Along... A Few Days later, I Decided To Take Her Out, And See How She Rides. All Went Pretty Good The First Time (I Didn't Do Any Cantering Or What Not). The Second Ride Though I Took Her Out, And She Bolted On Me And We Live Near A Busy Highway, And She Was Going Straight For It. Well I Did What I Could To Try To Stop Her, Nothing Seemed To be Working. Well i Rememberd To Do The "One Rein Stop" And It Worked To A Degree (She Fell On Her Side, And Nearly Crushed My Legs). A Few Weeks Later I Decided To take Her Out Again, And When I Was Trying To Get On, She Turned Her Head, Went Of Balance, And Fell Again (This Time I Was Already Halfway Off, So I Didn't get Under Her (It Was Slippery Ground). So I Decided To try Again, And Jumped On Her. Well She Was Walking Along And Bolted Again. I Did The One Rein Stop (The Whole Time, Not Pulling Enough To Pull Her So Off Balance) And She Fell, This Time It Was on Pavement, And It Didn't Give Me Or My Saddle Any Mercy. She Cut My Arm And Hands Up Pretty Bad, My Saddle Is Pretty Scraped Up, And She Dosen't Have A Scratch On Her. PLEASE Give Me Some Advice On what To Do With This Mare. She Was Given Away For Free Because A Ten Year Old Bougnt Her After She Was Left In A Pasture For Two Years *Enough Said* PLEASE Give Me Some Intake On What You Would do. I Was Thinking Of Getting Her Bred, But Not Sure. Please Help! [Frown]

If you are seriously wanting to put time into this horse and not give her back then I would start with some bit lounging (of course, I would get her vet checked and /teeth checked...prior to this). But, then I would go back to basics. [Wink]

I would take her back where you got her. There is a reason she was FREE. She sounds dangerous and you may wind up getting seriously hurt, from the sounds of it, you are lucky you haven't been yet. I wouldn't even think of breeding her either.

If she is falling that much you'd better first get her vet checked. Sounds like she has some issues.

DO NOT BREED HER!!!! The last thing the world needs is more unregistered unsellable horses.

If you can get her issues taken care of, I'd get her in a round pen and teach her to stop.

please be careful with her she sounds dangerous. if you have a roung pen try tying her around on one side and move her forward so she can learn her balance while her head is pulled around. we have had to this with horses before at the stable where i board at. good luck with her and please be carefull.

My advice: start from the ground up. I would start her exactly like I was starting a filly under saddle. If you do not have the knowledge/time to do this, take her to a good trainer and have them work with her for a little bit. She has issues that need to be addressed, and you should not ride her again until they are fixed. Under no circumstances should you breed her. You don't know anything about her bloodlines, and from everything that you've said, so far she has not proven to have any characteristics that need duplicated. Breeding horses is not a decision that should be taken lightly. When breeding, you want to put together the best qualities possible, not just breed because you can. Please be responsible about that. There are enough horses that aren't being used going to slaughter every day. Don't add to that number.

Get her vetchecked asap!!! She may have sone underlying issues.(wobbles or a sore back) The completely start from scratch. treater has if she has never been handled and start from the begining. Good Luck!!!

i agree there was a reason this horse was free, but I know people who have piad an arm and a leg for a 'sound' horse and come to find out the horse was blind, and arthritic. I am not trying to be a sales person or anything, but try doing some Parrelli work with the horse. for most horses it does work, but there are cases that you either have to adapt some of their methods, and there are some horses that it just doesn't work at all.

ground work...g ain her respect.. sounds like she was abused, mistreated and messed up. take it slow, be careful.. but let her know you're not goin to hurt her. I would not breed her

I think thats cool that the horse was 4 free.

But here is my saying when if comes to a "free" horse....

A horse is NEVER free.. yes maybe the starting point is free but after you recieve the horse.... you pay for it.

But what can I say I own four horses

Get the horse a thorough vet check - something is wrong. Horses just don't fall repeatedly for no reason.

DO NOT BREED HER. Nothing you have said makes her broodmare material.

If she checks out sound, I would send her to a qualified trainer that could assess her issues and start from the ground up. It sounds like you don't have the kind of experience to deal with these types of issues. And, considering that she is very dangerous, I would highly encourage you to seek a trainer that is well versed in problems such as hers.

Good luck!

[ 12-21-2006, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: anniemae ]

give her back before she kills you.

How old are you? what's your experience level? What bit are you using?

Just from what you wrote, You are NOT experienced enough to deal with a problem horse of this magnitude. Please do the right thing and either give her back or send her to a trainer.

I agree with the others that say DON'T breed her.

First, if you keep her, you need to inlist the help of a good trainer that has experience with this kind of horse.

You don't know if her problem is medical, behavioral or environmental.

This is the type of horse I work with most. I am not a big name trainer but my name is passed around when no other trainer will take the horse.

I have a great track record with them. I even was given a horse from a level 3-4 parelli trainer that was deemed a potential killer. I worked with him for 2 years and now has a home with a great guy just trail riding with his daughter.

Get help!!!!!

I have a horse right now that has crushed her current owners rib cage and more. The horse is a good girl but there is something going on in her head. I am on day 3 right now and I am finaly getting her to walk in the round pen not just run in panic.

[ 12-22-2006, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: barrel_trainer ]

Either take her back to the place you got her, or cut her head off. There are plenty of nice horses out there. No need to waste you life and limb on a scab.

Yes, She Was Free, And I Don't Have Any Problems Giving Her A Chance. Her Hystory Is That She Was Ran N.B.H.A And Rodeos Her Entire Life (From The Age Of Four On) And In The last Two Years, Was Bred, And Thrown Out To Pasture For Two Years. She Is Slightly Pigeon Toed In Her Front Feet, And Slightly Cow Hocked In Her Back, But It Really Doesn't Seem To Affect Her Gaits Any. Right Before We Bought Her, A Vet Did A Exam, And Declaired Her Sound, And In Good Condition (The Same Vet That Has Been Doing Her Shots For The Past Three Years). She Is Very Bossy On The Ground (Pushy) And I Agree, She Does Need MAJOR Ground Work (Lunging, Etc.) I Plan On Using Clinton Anderson's Methods Of Regaining Control On The Ground. She Had Her Teeth Done The Biggining Of This Year (Just Floated With A Hand Floater) So We Plan On Taking Her Soon To Our Vet And Getting Some Powertools Taken In Her Mouth. She Is Considered "Aged" But Believe Me, This Horse Acts Like A Wild Two Year Old. She Is Really Good In A Arena Though, We Took Her Over To A Neighboring Speed Show Arena, And She REALLY Can Run. I've NEVER Owned A Horse That Rated And Turned So Well, This Girl Is Really Automatic. Its The Anxiety Issues That I Am Concerned About. She Does Pretty Well When Riding With Other Horses, But Gets Really Super Sour When Riding Alone. I Have Taken Her On A Few Trail Rides W/O Her Taking Off, But She Would Keep Stopping, Spinning Alround And Heading For Home. I'm Pretty Convinced That She Is Full Appaloosa. She Has The Stubborn Attitude (No Offense To All The Appaloosa Loves, I Collect Appaloosas Too, Its Just It Seems Like All The Appy's We Have Had All Had Their Own Stubborness). She Has The Short Mane And Tail, Snowflake Pattern, Striped Hoofs, And Molten Skin. I Think She Could Be A Beutiful Horse With Some Weight (We Have Her On Omolean Grain) She Was On Pasture, And Doesn't Look As Good As She Could (We Like Our Horses A little Over Weight For Winter). She Seems To Be A Nice Horse Once She Settles Down, And I Do Want To Give Her Another Chance, Because She Seems To Be A Good Barrel Horse, And Would Make A Nice Backup Mount. I Was Just Concerned About Her Taking off, I Admitt It, We Wern't Working In A Arena, And It Would Have Helped If We Were, But I Think She Just Needs To Be In "Horsesy Boot Camp" For a Few Months.I Was Working Her In A Mild Wonder Bit, And I Want To Start Her In A Gag So I Can Manage The Taking Off Issues, And Then When I Train Her Not To Take Off, Reschool Her In A Milder Bit *In A Arena Only*. I Think She Can Turn Out To Be A Good Horse, And Even Know She Did Scrape Me Up, I'm Not The Type To Throw A Horse Out Just Because Of Behavior Issues. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Originally posted by 1-4-U:

This is a bit off topic but, is there any paticular reason why you are using Capitol Letters On All Your Words?

[Wink] She just found the shift key's and is praticing.

Yes, the capitol letters makes it very difficult to read as well as the fact that 'Paragraphs are your friend".

The vet check was performed by their vet? No no. Always use a different vet from the one they use. Always.

I would suggest a full cheek snaffle. That way you can pull her around and maintain contact easier. And please don't capitalize every word. Make paragraphs.

I about got dizzy reading that.

Because It All Looked Like This At Some Point Even Though It Was Grammatically Correct As Far As I Saw, But I Am Not Picking On You Just Giving You Some Advice As More People Will Read Your Post If They Don't Have To Really Concentrate To Decipher It. [smiley Wavey]

quote:

Originally posted by anniemae:

Get the horse a thorough vet check - something is wrong. Horses just don't fall repeatedly for no reason.

DO NOT BREED HER. Nothing you have said makes her broodmare material.

If she checks out sound, I would send her to a qualified trainer that could assess her issues and start from the ground up. It sounds like you don't have the kind of experience to deal with these types of issues. And, considering that she is very dangerous, I would highly encourage you to seek a trainer that is well versed in problems such as hers.

Good luck!

Ditto!!

There is nothing in this world for FREE worth getting killed over. Take that pig back where you got her. She's already 14 years old! How long do you really think it's going to take to accomplish anything with her? Months, if not years.

Someone just stuck their renegade on you because they were tired of feeding that sow! I'm very serious. One wrong landing and that mare will kill you. Sounds like she is a pro and knows how she likes to treat people.

Take her right back where you got. I bet they would refuse to take her back.

And calling her a "free barrel horse", that's a joke!

quote:

Originally posted by Sadie( MY HORSE HAD HER BABY):

[Eek!]
Why would you breed her??

My exact thoughts.

I seriously suggest that you begin with some very basic ground work on her, and lots of lunging. RESPECT sounds like a big issue here, as well as control. Even the help of a trainer can't hurt.

I refuse to read everything that your writing due to your "style".. Honestly I would have learned from the first take off and fall down that the horse needs work and a thorough vet check. I have a nutty mare that does some very strange things that im in the process of getting rid of. IMO there are plenty of other horses out there. Dont waste your time or getting hurt on a nut case, Good luck to you

i would test her for nerourological disease/disorders. if she falls over that easy, there is definatly something wrong.

like everyone else has said, theres no such thing as a free horse.. if she was worth something they would have "sold" her.

If you have time and are going to keep her than i say just start slow like the others have said does she fall if you work her in a round pin? make her bend like you did when you try to stop her but do it on the ground if she falls there is something wrong.If her hocks and toes are like you said i not bred her if she was a good barrel horse shes not made good.good luck