Sign in to follow this  
rodeo-queen2010

bridle question.

Yes, that is fine if your horse goes well in it. What you are describing will take some of the bend out of your horse, so if you are having any concerns about her flexing, you might consider changing. Additionally, with the long shanks, it will put a "bigger stop" on your horse. You just need to be aware of your hands, keeping them soft on your bridle so your horse will stay soft in that bridle. Do the shanks on this hackamore swivel indipendantly of each other? You always want "loose cheeks" on everything you ride in that has a shank of any sort. Once in a great while you will find a horse that can operate in a rig that doesn't work indepedantly on each side. In my career I've only ridden 2 horses over the course of 30 years that could compete effectively with "stiff sided" bits. I hope this helps. Please post a picture or two if you could please.

.........Missile...With...Wings..That...Work!.....

As long as you'r horse works good in it and you don't have any issues with it then it is perfect for the job I allways use hackamores on my horses they seem to respond to them beter than a bit and with long shanks you will have a lot of whoa which is sometimes needed for a hard running horse,so you don't run into the arena wall [Embarrassed] I have done that with a horse that did not want to stop when I sais so.I hope this helps. [big Grin]

I personally would adjust that hackamore up one hole. I like them a little higher on the nose. [Wink]

If it aint broke, don't fix it. BUT be prepared if you ever get another horse because not all horses will or SHOULD be ridden in a mechanical hackamore. There are so many better bits and hackamores out there than that particular one.

There are bits and/or hackamores that get more whoa out of a horse, but WHOA is a matter of training, not the bit.

Again...if it works...that's great! But never limit yourself to just one type of bit or one type of tool.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

thanks y'all. [Not Worthy]

i know most horses shouldn't be ridden in a hackamore, but i find them to respond better in them.

i don't use just this one.

i have more.

my dad and i have decided to change hackmores though.

yesterday we were at a local nbha show, and he kept running through this one.

we found a light rope nose hackamore with a VERY VERY short shank for more power.

the only problem with this one is it has a bar as a curb chain.

i'm changing that to a sharon camarillo power curb chain.

the one that's on there just seems cruel.

quote:

Originally posted by .:BaRbEdWiRe cOwGiRl:.:

thanks y'all.
[Not Worthy]

i know most horses shouldn't be ridden in a hackamore, but i find them to respond better in them.

i have more.

we found a light rope nose hackamore with a VERY VERY short shank for more power.

Long shanks= more control

Short shanks= less control

Maybe your horse likes that hack more

quote:

thanks y'all.
[Not Worthy]

i have more.

Ditto to Time to Shine...longer shanks are more severe. Sounds like that particular hackamore is simply more suited to your horse. Often, less is MORE, if it's just what your horse likes.

As for the curb, go with less FIRST and you can always move up to more. Start with a simple curb chain and work your way up.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

ok.

once again thanks for the comments. [Not Worthy]

but my trainer suggested the new hackamore.

he said that the mechanical hackamore's shanks are "too loose" meaning the wobble alot when i run.

the new one's shanks do not move.

he also said my hands were "too soft" for the old one, that one with stiffer shanks would aid in keeping him under control without me having to jerk on him constantly.

he's not an expert in barrel racing, but he is known for his horsemanship and i trust his opinion.

but please continue to post and tell me what you think.

i'm stuck between different opinions.

his and y'alls.

[bang Head]

but i have one more question.

how is it that he runs better in the new one than the old one if the old one has more control?

[Question]

quote:

Bumper excuse that last comment.

i didn't read yours.

sorry.

but i would still like answers to my questions.

thanks.

Better fit? He likes it more? Better quality, therefore better feel? hard to say.

Control is a matter of the horse's preference. Most people consider the snaffle to be the mildest bit and yet i have a horse who will buck your sorry slow butt off in a heartbeat if you try to ride him in one. Going to a SOFTER bit is working because it seems he likes it better.

Bigger, stronger, harsher...doesn't always work. Sometimes going down to softer is all that's needed.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

The only thing I run my mare is in a hackamore, she doesn't respond well to anything else, but she is also 14 and has been run in that for at least the past six years.

The hackamore I use is the Jim Warner Rope Nose

She does tend to get stiff, so every once in a while I put her in a snaffle to loosen her up.

If you're talking about the "Stop N Go" as they are commonly called for a new hackamore-

I LOVE it...but you need to be very careful with them. There's little reaction time to them and you'd never want to use one on a horse that has a tendency to rear.

I use one on my gelding who started swinging his hinney real bad and it REALLY helped him "Sit and rollback" turn...which he needs- he doesn't have much speed so he needed to get in and out of those turns propelling himself with his hind legs as fast as he could to make up for his lack of speed.

quote:

how is it that he runs better in the new one than the old one if the old one has more control?

[Question]

I have a real-life example. I've been running my horse in a lifter bit, with 7" cheeks, and a twisted wire/ported mouthpiece. We were having troubles, so I switched him into a combo hackamore with a smooth jointed mouthpiece. He likes it ALOT more. And he's running better in it. The old one had more control than this one, but with the old one he would take the bit in his mouth and brace against it. This one works much better for both of us. =]

thanks y'all.

i have figured out that if you're going to ride poncho [my horse], you're going to have to do alot of bit changing.

before it was a long shank mechanical hackamore

than a "stop and go" or whatever that was

and now it is a combo of a "loose" twisted wire gagish kind of bit with a nosepiece.

kinda like barrelracer17 describes.

grrr! [Duh]

i just want one bit but as long i get some form of control on him i'm fine with whatever goes in mouth.

just not to harsh...lol.

[Roll Eyes]

Less is more! I'm serious! I was running my mare in a chain gag combination bit, it wasn't a bad combo. But she started running past our first barrel, and shaking her head. So I switched to a fat bar gag snaffle. I put a chin strap on it, and AMAZING. She is doing so much better in this bridle. Sometimes the horse feels trapped, and it is best when they feel the are in control. Yes the bridle feels like not enough just exercising her, but when I run her, it is like magic. Hope you find your magic trick!