Sign in to follow this  
rodeosgirl

My top colleges list, anyone go to....

So does anyone go to :

Savannah College of art and Design?

Centenary College?

Virginia Intermont?

Cazenovia College?

They're all supposed to have good Intercollegiate riding teams, and hopefully they all have good art programs.

So does anyone here do the Horsey stuff at any of these places?

How are the people, facilities, coaches????

[Question]

Agreed with Danielle. VIC has really bad academics from what I have heard, but their riding program is good, and their "lab" of running a horse show can not be beat.

I've competed against Centenary and visited there when I was choosing colleges, I don't like it. It's a little too hard core competition, and, to be honest, the girls I competed against anyway were a little...snooty. I'm sorry if someone here goes there, but I'm calling it as I see it.

I've considered VIC and know some friends who visited. They said it was a dump and that the people giving the tour didn't even bother answering questions fully.

I go to Wilson. It has its issues, but I love the equestrian program. It is very real life, you get a lot of experience, and I love my professors and peers.

That's just me though [smile]

I got accepted into Cazenovia - I'm still debating between there and Morrisville ... but anyways the campus is really nice, in the middle of no where - but nice, and the riding team supposedly is absolutely awesome, and I've heard that from competing college teams.

I'm currently visiting VIC right now. I can just say that I love the school (though yes, the town around it is in a sad state in some places). Everyone's answered every question I could have possibly thrown at them.

And I've heard good things about their academics. That's where I'm going in the fall.

To each his own. [Confused]

I go to Centenary and I love it. I think its a love or hate kind of school. I don't do IHSA but I am on the h/j team and have learned so much from my coach. All of the instructors are knowledgeable and have been in the horse biz for a long time outside of the college. I don't think all the people are snotty, there will always be some no matter where you go, I just choose to ignore those types. We have wonderful horses of course! The campus is the largest growing in NJ, we have a new residence hall and a new gym, with plans to build much much more.I think the program is great.

You know what, the stuff about VIC adds up, I heard a couple rumors that it really wasn't that great.

Now, what about the academics at Centenary? The horsey stuff sounds good. Anyone do any art at Centenary???

I just visited Centenary and I love it. It fits me perfectly, I feel really comfortable there and it has everything I want. The people do not seem snooty. Most of them anyways. I really like it there.

Cazenovia and Centenary are my top choices and right now, Centenary is my favorite.

Check out horsesmarts.com

=D

quote:

Originally posted by ShowJumper3:

I got accepted into Cazenovia - I'm still debating between there and Morrisville ... but anyways the campus is really nice, in the middle of no where - but nice, and the riding team supposedly is absolutely awesome, and I've heard that from competing college teams.

Morrisville is very western centered, I heard Caz was alot better.

Where are you from in NY? I live like an hour or so away from Caz.

If you are going for a riding team and majoring in something else then your major should come visit and team second.

To one that is deciding between Caz and Morrisville I would go to caz more worth your money. Just because Morrisville has 300 plus horses doesn't mean it is a great program. It is lacking in teaching

If your only looking for an Intercollegiate team I'd look into Skidmore their art program is amazing. As is the school in general. SUNY New Paltz has a good art program and an intercollegiate team as well, I don't know how good that is though [Question] . If your just looking for an intercollegiate team I would look on the IHSA website and see what schools have a team and then from there look for a good art program within those schools.

Another school if your looking for an equine program on top of a good art program is Alfred University. It is out in the middle of no where literally. It's like a half hour away from any kind of civilization except for the small town it's in. My trainer has another student who goes there for the art program and she apparently loves it. And I know someone else who went there (not for art) but they love the school itself. I thought about applying. They have some really nice horse related activities. Like a horse club where you can just come ride school horses who haven't been ridden yet for free. And I believe they just built a new barn.

I went to VIC for a year and a half.

They're having major financial problems and may not be opening the doors this fall. Rumor has it they need 4 million by then.

The only thing I liked about that school was the riding. The actual campus is a dump. Way overpriced as well.

JMHO.

I've heard some amazing things about Centenary and Skidmore. They both supposedly have very good riding programs. I'm not sure about the art programs however...

There were some VIC girls and their coach at the show I was at this weekend...they were both great riders and the coach gave some very solid help. If you want to be something other than a trainer/pro rider, I would look at a larger college such as UGA, UFLA or UKY that have top ranked teams and better academics.