Sign in to follow this  
Vegas Sky

Short stirrup/long stirrup?????

Hey guys, I'm an eventer but I lurk on this board occaisionally, and I have a question about the difference between short stirrup classes and long stirrup classes at shows. In the past several months I have been doing a lot of h/j schooling, mostly to improve my eventing, but I am going to a few shows this summer and I would like to know the difference before I get there and make an idiot of myself....

[ 05-06-2007, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Vegas Sky ]

it depends, some places short stirrup is 10&U some is 12&U some its even 18&U, long sitrrip is older than short stirrups-- i dont think you'd want to do long stirrups, theyre only 2' (some places, its crossrails!)

Since the short stirrup and long stirrup divisions are not rated, the rules can vary by show. Most places I've seen will be 12 and under for the SS and 13 and over for the LS. Though it does vary by show circuit. Each one seems to possess different rules for the unrated divisions. Also height can vary by area too. I know most times the specs said 18" but they were lucky to just have a box up with flowers.

Point- get the prize list for the show you intend on going to. Read the divisions specs before submitting an entry.

Thanks guys, hee hee I don't think I qualify for short stirrup, since I'll be 19 at the end of the month, but thanks for clarifying!

You could show long stirrup and/or beginer rider then, they're both 2' divisions but beginer rider usually has easier courses while long stirrup has role backs, bending lines and such.

around here, let's say at a C show so it's rated but not top-notch, short stirrup is either for kids 12 and under BUT a rider cannot show in it for more than 2 years regardless of age. long stirrup is over 12 years of age and is TECHNICALLY for riders in their first two years of showing, though the second part of the rule is not enforced too seriously here.

I ride the long stirrup division, so I'll clear this up. It's a beginner division just like short stirrup. The height can vary between 2 feet and 2'3". Basically, it depends on the show. A huge A show would have a short stirrup class for 11 and under, medium stirrup for 12 to 17, long stirrup 18 to mid forties or even 35 and.... I love this since I'm 54.... Rusty stirrup for those over the hill and over 35/45, wherever long stirrup cuts off. Generally for most shows, its just short stirrup, 18 and under and long over 18.

The next advanced division is the pre-childrens which is under 12-17 and pre-adults.. over 18. That height is usually 2'6". The top division in this group is Childrens.. usually 13 to 17 and A/A, adult amateur. The height for childrens and A/A is three foot, with A/O.. Adult owner.. 3'6". There lots of other divisions that pretain more to the horse and its experience and those are 3 foot and higher.

^^^^^^^ That's not true here. I'm about 95% sure this is on a state by state, or even show by show basis. Where I am pre childerns/pre adults is 2'9". But that's just hunters at A shows. The same level is called beginner junior at the state level shows. In this area we don't even call it short and long stirrup. But usually short stirrup is 11&U, long stirrup 12+.

I'd suggest you look for whatever HEIGHT you want to jump, then find the hunter, equitation, or even jumper class at that height, and not worry about what it's called.

[ 05-08-2007, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: SmileItLooksGoodOnYou ]

quote:

Originally posted by WAF:

I ride the long stirrup division, so I'll clear this up. It's a beginner division just like short stirrup. The height can vary between 2 feet and 2'3". Basically, it depends on the show. A huge A show would have a short stirrup class for 11 and under, medium stirrup for 12 to 17, long stirrup 18 to mid forties or even 35 and.... I love this since I'm 54.... Rusty stirrup for those over the hill and over 35/45, wherever long stirrup cuts off. Generally for most shows, its just short stirrup, 18 and under and long over 18.

The next advanced division is the pre-childrens which is under 12-17 and pre-adults.. over 18. That height is usually 2'6". The top division in this group is Childrens.. usually 13 to 17 and A/A, adult amateur. The height for childrens and A/A is three foot, with A/O.. Adult owner.. 3'6". There lots of other divisions that pretain more to the horse and its experience and those are 3 foot and higher.

this (as in the pre-childrens/adults) varies from state to state and even showgrounds to showgrounds, and in the A/A the HUNTER is judged not as much the rider, also A/O is Amateur- owner not adult owner

Agree, it is up to show management to call it what it wants it to be and the height. I show in about six states in the Rocky Mountain, PNW and Canada over the years and this is what I have seen