Sign in to follow this  
TrooperDynamicImus

What to Expect at a IHSA Show?

Being a Senior in high school I am considering the IHSA, which is why I am going to watch a show this weekend. However, I have been unable to find any information on how the show will be run. For example, when does the show start? What is the order of classes? When does it end?

So, I basically want to know from you IHSA previous or current riders, how is the show set up and what should I expect? Thanks in Advance! [big Grin]

I'm not sure how consistent this info would be across the board, but I ride in Zone 4 Region 3 of IHSA and this is how our shows go. We start at 10 in the morning and usually end around 5. Sometimes the classes run in order starting with Open (the most advanced) and ending with W/T (the beginners). However, sometimes they mix the classes in order to keep the horses from tiring out. All the schools showing that day sit in a group, usually with their school banner. They isn't usually any breaks, except maybe a very brief one to drag the ring after the jumping classes have been completed. The riders draw for their horses about 5 classes ahead of time. We are only allowed to get on, adjust our stirrups and walk around-no warm up! [smile]

I hope that helps! I love IHSA showing! Do you mind if I ask what school you are looking at to ride with?

In my region the coaches draw for everyone at the coaches meeting before the show.

We also begin at 10. It ends when it ends, whether at 6/7, like this weekend when our judge just didnt show up one day, or at 2/3. (2/3 seems normal for my regions shows) Expect endless amounts of classes, an interesting spread of abilities, even in the individual classes, and yucky food. Bring your own.

The colleges typically do bring their own banners and sit by themselves. However, my college, Goucher, dosen't bring a banner and we usually stand in clumps around. I ended up sitting with Mt St Marys College, and University of Maryland last weekend. It was really kind of fun to sit and hear how the different teams interact. UMD didnt talk to me, but MSMC were really friendly.

So, deff try to sit with several diff colleges to get a feel for how the college team works and how the colleges people are. (Diff colleges tend to appeal to VERY diff types of people, so DEFF make this a LARGE part of your visits, in the end I think this is what makes or breaks your college life.)

Youll get bored quickly I'll bet. I do. But if you can find people to talk to its great.

[ 02-26-2008, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Outsider ]

our shows usually start at 9, depending on the school, they chose which class goes first, this year we actually have had alot of double headers, classes go up and pick a horse's name out of a basket or a bucket...whatever they have, they usually have a poster board of the horses and just a brief description of the horse ie: need crop, spurs, doesn't like other horses, good draw etc.

flat classes, you have time to walk around, but as soon as the last rider enters the ring you are being judged, over fences riders, you have your courtesy circle and you're off...

it's fun, exhausting...but fun...

[big Grin]

Hey, Ricepaddle, how'd your team end up doing this year? What are their thoughts on the new region?

It runs just like the others have described, with slight variations depending on your zone/region. The biggest thing to remember is that most of the riders are on horses they've never ridden before. I like to see what others can get out of a horse. It's really quite fun.

What college(s) are you looking at? [smiley Wavey]

If you can, contact a local school's coach and see about meeting up with them at the show. There is a lot of sitting around, so I am sure they wouldn't mind letting you hang out and ask questions. That's really the best way to see how it goes because if you just watch the show with no previous knowledge, it'll seem really boring and confusing, LOL.

Our shows start at 9 and end between 1 and 4. All the jumping classes go first from largest jump to smallest, and then the flat classes in a random order so the horses get a break between classes. We take a schooling/draging break after the fences classes.

quote:

Originally posted by K. Blue:

Hey, Ricepaddle, how'd your team end up doing this year? What are their thoughts on the new region?

It runs just like the others have described, with slight variations depending on your zone/region. The biggest thing to remember is that most of the riders are on horses they've never ridden before. I like to see what others can get out of a horse. It's really quite fun.

What college(s) are you looking at?
[smiley Wavey]

we actually did pretty good, this year only being our second year, we have 4 girls going to regionals! you guys aren't in our region any more are you?

hey maitre du cheval, which show you going to this weekend? I was just wondering cuz i have a show at OU and it would be awesome you ended up going to that one.

Anyway, the IHSA shows in my region dont start until 12 on Saturdays so that the other teams dont have to have 2 nights in a hotel and drive down the morning of. On Sundays it starts at 8. We have uninvolved person draw the horses for all the teams. The show on Saturdays usually goes well into the evening, but the shows on Sundays end earlier.

Erin

We have a show at Purdue this weekend too!

We're Zone 9 Region 1.

We aim for a 9 am to 9:30 start but it varies based on how long it takes to school the horses. Basically once all the horses are schooled and all the teams are present with their point rider sheets turned in - it's a green light. We normally finish between 4 and 5.

We order our classes Open Fences, Intermediate F, and Novice Fences; Alumni fences, then we move the jumps and school the flat only horses, drag the ring. Flat goes Alum, Open, Int, Novice; school the beginner horses; Adv WTC, Beg WTC, WT.

We do a double draw in our region, something that is apparently pretty special. Everyone in the division goes to the draw table and you draw first for your class (for example if there are 40 novice flat riders they'll divide you up A B C D.) A stays at the draw table and draws for their horses (normally this is done around the time the last class of the prior division is going in the ring.) Then they call the other classes to the draw table as the class prior goes in.

I do kind of hope you're going to Purdue's (although with Regionals and Zones coming up I'm sure just about everyone has a show this weekend) because we put on a darn good show!

so jealous of you people who get to go home at 2/3!

i'm zone 2, region 1 (i think). our shows are supposed to start around 9, but they usually start late. and we leave around 5.

the order of classes depends on the school/barn we're showing at. and sometimes it varies a lot, so i can't really answer that question.

horses are drawn before the show starts. basically you sit around with your team and watch your other riders/wait for your ride/help other people get ready.

I have a kind of irrevelant question.

Do they height/weight riders before draws? I can't imagine myself 6 feet tall, 175-180 pounds,having to ride a 15 hand Arab, you know?

quote:

Originally posted by hunterguy398:

I have a kind of irrevelant question.

Do they height/weight riders before draws? I can't imagine myself 6 feet tall, 175-180 pounds,having to ride a 15 hand Arab, you know?

Horses that have a written down height/weight limit cannot be ridden by anyone over the height of 5'9 and/or 150 pounds.

Erin

Now we are in the same region. It has been stressful trying to get everything together for the new region. We are hoping to host more shows next semester.

Congrats on your 4 making it to Regionals and good luck! We only have 3 going this year, but we have 5-6 riders who should point up within the first show or two next year. [big Grin]

We have height and weight limits in our region as prescribed by the coaches. Our weight limits vary from 150 to 175 depending on the horse and height limits are normally 5'7 - 5'10.

Totally up to the coaches though. I'm 5'10 and 155-160 and I ride our pony just fine so as long as he's not going to have a hugely long weekend he normally goes without a limit (and actually we don't end up looking that odd on him, Fatty has quite a bit of barrel.)

Wow guys, I had no idea so many of you rode for IHSA. The show is at Albion College, which I believe is for Zone 6 either region 3 or 1. I am looking into either Michigan State, Univerity of Michigan, or Albion College.

Just out of curiosity, do you prefer ride for the IHSA or on a normal show circuit? Did you pick IHSA or did you not have an oppurtunity to show in college or are you able to compete in both? [Confused]

Albion is an amazing school, and their coach is super nice (I found out about their program after I signed for WC)! I met him when he was running the Stoneleigh Burnham. My freshman year I showed the local/A circuits, IHSA and IEA. Certain schools will have different requirements. I strongly suggest riding IHSA as it gives you great experience with riding new/different horses.

Chris--it will really depend on your college and their restrictions.

quote:

Originally posted by Outsider:

So, deff try to sit with several diff colleges to get a feel for how the college team works and how the colleges people are.

I sat with the Princeton team once....

[Eek!][big Grin]

I have found time to do my college's IHSA team and our coach takes us to nearby rated shows too! I'm the prez of our team and I love it! Good luck with everything [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by hunterguy398:

So, is there an actual weight limit for IHSA? As in, absolutely no riders over "X" pounds?

No, the coaches have the right to put a certain weight limit on their horses. That way someone who is 200lbs doesn't end up riding a 14.2 pony (ponies normally get weight and/or height limits) or the 30 yr old who can still truck around the 130lb walk trotter, but not the 200lb walk trotter.

Hey....I go to Albion!!

I won't be at the show this weekend; I chose to board my horses elsewhere, and I groomed for the IDA show a few weekends ago instead of grooming for this show. Enjoy the facility though; and feel free to ask anyone questions about Albion and IHSA, everyone is friendly. I can't tell you too much, not being on a team or boarding there, but from what I have been around there the horses are all in impeccable condition and the facility is amazing.

I'm going to apologize in advance about the weather we're going to be having this weekend. It may suck, hardcore. The spring and fall are gorgeous though!