Sign in to follow this  
montikarla

Ariat field boots with zippers

I checked the sizing of Ariat field boots on their website and the wide calf should fit me. I haven't tried them on yet, I will at the end of April, and I can't buy them until probably October. I would prefer to find them without zippers, but if I can't, what is your experience with the Ariat boots with zippers? Good, bad, indifferent? I won't be showing big shows, just local schooling hunter and dressage shows in the next couple years.

I wish I could help. I know I have friends who have zipper boots, and, well, THEY love them. I, personally, hate them. I like the traditional look of pull ons. I'd much rather walk around all day and look classic than zip and un-zip my boots to get them on and off. Plus I've heard the zippers are more prone to wearing out (coming unzipped, well, the zip itself breaking).

But, alas, every boot maker is switching to the horrid zipper boots.

Sorry. I just had to get that off my chest.

/end ha

Good luck? sorry. I'm no help.

most people have had good experiences with them but BOTH of mine broke. and at a show, no less.

i would be cautious or be ready to tape your boots with duct tape, like i did that one time haha

I prefer the traditional look myself, but alas, I have to rely on what the local tack shops carry. I found one that is an hour and a half away that has the ones without zips and they are $180 so I might try to do a tack shop day sometime soon. I also have really fat calves.

The only experience I've ever had was with everyone elses boots. I thought at first it'd be SO nice to have them, until I saw how frequently they break. It may just be for people that ride as much as these folks did, but I personally will never buy them.

I have the heritage with zippers. I got zippers because the boots don't tend to break down as much in the ankles and stay taller - I need all the height I can get. In fact I would like to start at 22"-22 1/2" instead of 21 1/2".

I had the pull ons too and liked both equally well.

Once I broke these in though I haven't been schooling with them too much, once in a while like right before a show. And I'm a pretty gentle zipper.

I LOVE mine. Like am partial to mine! They fit me better than my semi customs! I have heard of zippers breaking on those used every single day, but just to show I think you would be fine. @ the end of this show season I will have had mine for two years.

I have non zips and I love them. They are so comfie...I should be working the WHS so if i'm in that section I can help you try them on. [Wink]

If you don't look after zips they break. They need boot shapers in them at all times when you are not wearing them, or the zippers start to bend and get weak. That is almost always where they break at the ankel where the wrinkle. So if you get them you need to look after them. You also need to look at how they fit. With non zips you need to get them taller than zip (zip don't drop much) So that's a part of it to. Also just FYI, the challenge boots fit wider then the heritage. SO I would go for those cause they will likely fit better than the Heritage, if you have bigger calf's.

Mine would get used regularily, for lessons and regular rides. They would probably not get used much in winter or for trail rides. I don't show much, like 3 times in the last four years.

Thanks for all the opinions.

I will so be at the WHS. I'm not sure which day I will go, it depends on my exam schedule, but I will be there. I haven't missed one in four years, even when I could barely walk two years ago, lol. I was there on crutches and moving very slowly.

The WHS was were I was planning on trying them on anyway [Razz] It would be awesome if you could help me out with that.

I love my zip-ups, they're so much more convenient than the pull-ons. I rode pretty heavily in mine for seven months, then retired them for strictly show use. They are still in awesome condition, although it truly depends on how much time you put into taking care of them.

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE zippers from Ariat. Avoid them from Ariat.

I do love zippers. I hate the ones Ariat uses. If you want zippers on Ariat boots, get the boots without them, and have a good leather/boot place put in the zippers later. It should cost $50-$100 to have them put in ($50 is about the price difference when buying with/without zippers from Ariat). And you won't get the terrible zippers Ariat uses.

I have never owned a product from Ariat with a zipper I really liked. I wear their paddock boots, half chaps, and tall boots. I have had new zippers put in my half chaps, the paddock boots are holding so far, but the zipper is brass not plastic, and my tall boots are pull on.

I've known SO SO SO many people who had their field boot bust its zipper at shows, even at finals. If you have a back-up pair, it's okay, but otherwise I'd stick to pull on. I don't want you to have to ride with electrical tape holding your boot together, or your half-chap over your tall boot. [Roll Eyes]

I have Ariat field boots with the zippers, I wanted the pull ons but I couldn't find the style and size (challenge, 8, slim) ANYWHERE that was pull on so I just broke down and got the zippers. I love mine!! The only thing I'd change is to get tall instead of the regular height, but that has nothing to do with the zippers. I have had mine for about a year and a half and ride 1-3 horses a day (at least, more on weekends/summer) and walk around in them at shows all the time and haven't had any problems.

Search online after you try on the ones with zippers, I see w/o zippers all over.

I have a pair of zip up Dublin tall boots and I stretched them from 14" over my 15" calf (I ordered a calf size too small) and the zippers have held up so far! I have two pairs of pull on boots I use for schooling and spares. [big Grin]

In the summer, I ride multiple horses daily in my Ariat zips, love them and love to abuse them. They take everything and still shine up nicely for a show.

I also have the Ariat zip half chaps, got them at Christmas and have been schooling in them everyday. No problems so far.

I am on my third pair of Ariat zip ups. The first pair that I had broke, I sent those back, got a new pair for free, the zipper in those broke and I got the zipper replaced. I bought a new pair in August just for shows and they have been doing well. I like them, and if I wanted non-zip ups I would have to get them custom made because I cant get the pull ons over the top of my calf and my leg cramps up and i cant get them off.

So i like them, but they only last about a year or so with zips.

Erin

My first choice is definately not the zip ups. I am a traditionalist, but it really depends on what I can get my hands on. I don't want to have boots shipped though, because I always want to try them on before I buy. I would rather drive a couple hours out of my way to try a pair to make sure they will fit without the zips than have a pair shipped to me and have them not fit and then be out money on shipping that I really needed.

Thanks for the opinions.

i have them.

the zipper seems fine, but they were extremely difficult to break in.

so i suggest getting them a few months before you plan on riding in a competition of any sort and wearing them every day.

quote:

Originally posted by montikarla:

My first choice is definately not the zip ups. I am a traditionalist, but it really depends on what I can get my hands on. I don't want to have boots shipped though, because I always want to try them on before I buy. I would rather drive a couple hours out of my way to try a pair to make sure they will fit without the zips than have a pair shipped to me and have them not fit and then be out money on shipping that I really needed.

Thanks for the opinions.

You can order non zip from the WHS, it takes about 6 weeks to get them in. Try on the zips then you will know what size to get. [big Grin] I'll let you know if I'm going for sure or not...as of right now I am [big Grin]

if you take care of ur zip up ariats, they shouldn't break. i've had mine for almost 2 years now and they still look brand new with no problems what so ever. people need to understand that these boots are made to be shown and ridden in;they're not made to have people walking around in them a ton,splashing through mud etc, thats' what paddock boots are for... i tack my horse, put on my tall boots, ride, untack my horse and then take them off. i wear tennis shoes or paddock boots for around the barn. i clean my boots after every ride too

also, many people make the mistake of leaving there tall boots halfway zipped, don't do this!!

I have the Ariat Crowne Pros with Zips.

I had the problem of zipping my pants into the zipper and not being able to get out of them on my own. However, I do that with coats, pants, anything with a zipper, so I might just be a little retarded.

Had mine for 2 years and have not had any problems other than zipping myself in.

A girl on my riding team got customs that were so tight she had to fight them (she used a metal clip because the leather pulls would break) to get on and off every time. Needless to say her zippers broke.

I dont ride in mine all the time, I use half chaps to save them.

I love them. Just get them so that they Do fit.

I am definatly not getting boots that are too tight, I don't want to spend money on something I dread wearing.

Desputed, I can't wait for the warehouse sale. I was relying on the website so I didn't know that they could order the ones without zips. Do you know how much the Heritage and Challenge boots are without the zips? Planning ahead. I already have my WHS list written up.