Sign in to follow this  
pnhaavig

45yrs.+,YOU don't stop riding cause you grow old,

Oh goody! Here's a thread I'm old enough to join. [big Grin] On the plus side of 45 (but not by much) and have been riding since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Unfortunately, have way too many horses right now and it's causing problems with the DH. I need to find a boarding facility that will feed am and pm and do turnout without charging an arm and a leg. I found one who's base cost is $150/month, that includes a stall and shavings, I provide the food and all other care. If you want them to feed in the morning, it's an extra $15/month. If you want turnout, it's another $45/month. If I wanted to pay $220 a month, I'd go to a full care facility. Annoying to say the least.

Greetings All,

It is such a nice day today, warm here in Winchester, CA. of course that brings out the flies so I have been doing some pest control this morning. We took our little Stud colt for his first adventure on jumping a phantom yesterday for artificial insemination. Lena our girl hopefully took, boy we have been hand breeding the two of them for the past three months. Finely had the little guy checked and his seamen count was low, vet said common for some of the young ones. Vet said AI was the best way to go. So here we are, waiting, as we have the foal sold ahead of time,(providing all is healthy). I guess that makes it a phantom foal on a couple different levels. Well after all the excitement of yesterday it is nice to just sweep the barn and fly spray. Just wanted to stop in and say a quick hello and a BIG WELCOME to new faces. [smile]

Good afternoon all! I hope everybody is having a good day. I didn't realize how many people on here are my age until this thread. I don't feel old at all now [Jump]

We have been getting alot of T-storms the last few days. I don't like the bad weather, but we needed the rain so bad.

WR, sorry you had such a scare with Chiefy this morning, but glad he is ok.

well, everybody have a great evening. I'm going to go meet my daughter for dinner [smiley Wavey]

Thanks, Sissy! Yes, I think he's fine.

The farrier was just here and trimmed the horses. She has been filling in for my usual farrier with a few other people, too. Others haven't been able to get hold of her. Wonder what's up.

Anyway, Rosie did really good, but Chief would NOT pick up his right hind foot. The farrier could get it up by bringing it forward, but could not get Chief to let her bring the hoof backwards to give it a good trim. So, she did the best she could.

I will have to work with Chief and see what's going on with that leg.

WR, Maybe Chief has a sore/pulled muscle or something in his hindquarters. That would explain why he didn't want to get up quickly this am or give the farrier his hind leg. Just a thought.

I hope your weather improves so you can start riding Rosie again. [smile]

p.s. Dinner with my daughter was good. We always enjoy spending time together [Wink]

[ 05-10-2006, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: PineBarSissy ]

Wow - I'm over that 45 mark. Hard to believe - still think of myself as in my 20s - 40s is for my mother [Eek!] .

I'd like to pop in here from time to time if I may. Seems like a nice place to get to know everyone better.

Well....off to give my kids a riding lesson, see if I can pass along a little knowledge [big Grin]

I had another busy day with the horses,but with 13 and one past due , they are almost ALL busy days. I have an older mare with an infection getting two shots a day. I seperated my mare and month old foal for about an hour today for the first time,and the crying almost breaks your heart. My past due mare about tore an spple tree down rubbing to relieve the pressure...maybe tonight is the night. I've been sort of over protective, as I lost my first foal ever this year. It was almost unbearable.

WR- Glad to hear Cheif is OK. I have an OTTB that will not give the right hind either. My farrier has to put him against a wall to get a shoe on everytime,and I've had him 6 months now.

Ringersuz- I still think I'm in my 20's too...sometimes when I look in the mirror,I wonder who the old broad is. [big Grin]

Good Evening,

A person turns their back and a whole bunch of people show up for coffee. And the pot was empty, guess we'll have to make some ice tea.

Glad you all decided to join us. You found our well kept secret. Or was it no one wanted to admit they were over 50, but didn't mind saying they were 45. As has been said many time, we are asold as we feel. Somedays we are going to feel older than others.

I took the time to go riding tonight. Took both horses, only rode just over a hour, but the longest that I have ridden this year. Have had other chances, but I look around and see all this work that needs doing. Hard to play with a horse when, other things need your attention. My wife wants a new set of clothes lines pole for Mother's Day, I still have to get thast started, all though I stopped by a greenhouse, and bought some pansys. Bought some of all the louds colors. Might go get some more, almost as much fun as going to new tack shop. Later PD

ringers, TBX and all applicable... [Wink]

I think we all (most especially those who are XX chromologic) visualize ourselves at an earlier age....for me, it's 26 or so. [big Grin] ....just about half my actual age... and I too am taken aback when the mirror, or worse still, an unforgiving photograph, points out with far too much detail the sags and bags that somehow snuck in when I wasn't paying attention!

I didn't have my first child until I was 29 and my second...and last... at the age of 38! My daughter, now 11, keeps me willing myself on a daily basis to retain what vestages of youth I can still muster.

... then, without warning, my carefully crafted illusion is undone by one of those damnedible "reality check-points" like how Old I will be when she graduates highschool! Two years past early retirement and fully qualified to receive the "Senior Discount"... that's how old I'll be !!!

......provided, of course, that we both survive her teenage years! [Eek!]

Somewhere exists, I'm quite sure, a Horseman's Law of Physiscs that states something to the effect of

Commencing on or about the 30th birthday, the stirrup gets higher and the ground gets harder, expodentially, each year.

thankfully, age is often accompanied by some degree of smarts that allows for the second Horseman's Law of Physics....

"Hire a teenager (to start your colts)... before they forget that they know everything!!"

[big Grin]

Guest cowgirlartist

Or the horse gets shorter [big Grin] . I bought my last horse because he is shorter.. [Wink]

[ 05-11-2006, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: cowgirlartist ]

Morning, everyone!

blonde, yes why is that? [Crazy] The stirrups get higher, the older we get.

Rain here again, and it is predicted to rain all weekend into next week. I feel like quacking! [Eek!]

Chief has me a bit concerned still. He laid down in his stall after eating...not like him. I called the vet, and she told me to get him up and just watch him. I put up a separate post about it, explaining.

I'm off to the nursing home this morning to see my mom. It was her birthday yesterday...90 years old! I got her a plant.

Good morning all...

Blonde - yes, funny how it all sneaks up on us. I had my children later in life, my daughter at 36, my son at 39 [Eek!] . I didn't get back into horses until 2 years ago when my I felt my horse crazy daughter was ready for her first pony. I decided to get a horse for myself as I'd been without one for over 20 years. Silly me - I go to the track and get an OTTB (not my first I might add). There were moments that I seriously questioned my sanity. The ground was much further away it seemed that 20 years ago [ROTFL] . Fortunately, I've only hit the ground once (knock on wood) and it was gently.

Well, I'm off to feel my beasts - it's early here on the west coast.

Ringer

WR - Hope Cheif is better today. Our 30 yr old walker has arthritus and is stubborn about picking up his left front because of it. We often have to bring it forward and then back to trim him properly. He is better if we can trim during the middle of the day after he gets to moving some. By the way how is the dress hunting going??

Blonde - Age is the pits. I don't like my picture taken. I think its because of the reality it shows. I like to think I'm still in my early 30's and in good shape. But the pictures show the few extra pounds and the sags & bags.

Well I'm of to lurk . Good day all.

Morning All: I am way behind on all the action going on here so will just say that I hope all is well and things are going great for you and your getting in some riding and enjoying life...

Now I have a Question, if a horse gets bitten by a rattlesnake will it kill it or just make it sick ?

Where my daughter lives is rattlesnake country and she just saw a whopper about 20 yards from her front yard, which she has a small creek running there.

My mare is there and I am concerned that she may get bitten and I need to bring her home where she will be safe...

Thanks for any input from you guys...

Have a great day all !!

And WELCOME to the Younger group that has joined us!! [big Grin]

Good Morning all. I'm in trying to warm up and dry off after barn chores. Its raining, as it has been for days,and predicted for many more. I know we need rain for the pastures to grow,but mine need bush hogging.

I still have no foal today. I guess she's waiting for the full moon (13th) or sunday, Mother's Day. [big Grin]

Ringer- I have to question my sanity for getting a young OTTB 6 months ago myself. As a hunter jumper rider I've always loved the tall horses,but they do seem harder to get on these days. Maybe I'll get hubby to buy me a mounting block for Mother's Day.

[ 05-12-2006, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: TBX ]

Hello!!found you. thought you would change the name and hide from me. [Wink]

Have beed going riding every day. [Jump] . new places new faces.Spooky has stopped loading right up, takes about 15 minutes to get him in..cant figure it..no scare, no difference, no new trailer. hes been loading right up for six years.. only thing I can figure is I loaded him saddled the last three times..Maybe he doesn't like that.Not sure what I'm going to do with him.. making him work around and around just doesnt work..he'd drather work.

We really lost our minds Tuesday, the ninth. bought a five year old appy mare..oh gads.. whats the matter with us? OLD AGE MAYBE?? oh well we did it and theres no going back now.Will post pictures when I get some.

WELCOME to the new faces here.I feel like PD:: dont think its the age that matters, its the additude.So welcome to you all. and CEDARSMOM; come on in,grab a cuppa and relax.

Well I'm off to work spooky on loading some, then going to friends and see her new mule mini..is there such a thing?..bet its the cutest thing, born yesterday afternoon.

then trail ride this saturday. riding with a friend friday. and hope the rain stops till they can get the haying done. bye for now....Dallas

about the snake bite..I have heard that if they bite them on the face it can swell till they can't breathe. its important to call the vet right away.

Don't know about horses but doesnt kill cattle around here.But they sure swell up and look awful.course might some, if bitten on the face. I know this doesnt help..Hopfully she will smell them and stay away instead of go to investigate.

Thanks rainsongappy : I have heard so many different stories so thought I would come to the people who have horses and would know..

Anyone else here have some input on this subject would appreciate anything you can tell me to ease my mind...Thanks

Rattler bites and horses.

It honestly depends on where the horse is bitten. I also think it must depend on the horse that is bitten. It has been said that if a horse is bitten on the nose they will die. If they are bitten on the leg, many times they won't. Here is where the horse comes in. We had a big ole Morgan, Amigo, who was bitten by a rattler on the muzzle. He lived the rest of his life with half of his muzzle paralyzed. He always looked like he had a goofy grin on his face but he was too ornery to succumb to a silly snake.

Happy Trails!

Angela

By the way how is the dress hunting going??

doublelhorses, I found something, but I have to find a skirt or pants to go with it. It's a really nice jacket and and shirt. I hate shopping for dressy clothes!

I'm waiting for a call back from the vet on Chief, too.

We're baaaaaack! Gary survived the trip, despite his tendency of back seat driving from the front seat. I will confess to occasionally looking for isolated spots to leave him, but I'm sure he would have been found eventually, so I brought him home with me. We got in about 0100, so I will post later after catching up on what everyone is doing.

Kate

Howdy all,welcome to all the new people the more the merrier. Jack called me today and he wanted me to tell everyone he'll be back with us sometime next week hopefully, for those who don't know who Jack is, he's our professor of laughter,with an abundance of knowledge on saddle care,and horses he is really missed around here. [big Grin]

Not much happening around here working with my 23 month old filly getting ready to break her next month shouldn't be to hard she's use to the saddle being on her back just going to take it nice an slow with her. [Wink]

Well that's it for now. [big Grin]

Drags over her picnic table just to talk with..

Blonde on a Warm blood ?. Hawkeye my husband?s horse is huge; I fear I cannot even get my foot in the stirrup with a panic table. Also bad knees tend to hinder getting off quickly as well.

Wild Rose , I hope Chief is doing better. I wish we had a little rain this week. It is warm and all the grass is turning brown, weeds are doing well though.

Cowgirlartist , I use a box in front of my easel when I paint, picnic table to get on my mare, she is only 15 hands. I am getting shorter and horses are getting much bigger.

Ringersuz , Wow never hit the ground I need some of whatever your using. Got on the ground while on Macee(level headed foundation QT), caught in buried barbwire, we both went down. I am happy to say I broke Macee?s fall and she was thankful for that. I do not even get on any of the performance girls, just know it would be a wreck. I think I was a better rider when I was younger and had more bounce. [Jump]

TB We have them on our place also, hubby killed on with 10 rattles in one of our girls pens. I think if your horse were bitten it would kill them, does dogs. I have never asked a Vet, but might be worth a call. Good luck with the snake problem, sort of a double-edged-sword, snakes kill the rodents we want gone and yet?. Can hurt our livestock as well? not to mention us. AO may be correct, I have heard that also.

Hey at 57 I thought I was the younger group.

Rainsongappy KGB Glad you found us. I had hoped my age might change when I got here.

KGB

Glad you made it back from the trip?.All included. I am going to Utah this month, Scott (Hubby) and I will be picking up a new girl for breeding next year. We are going to drive up to Star Valley, Wyoming on the same trip to visit with his folks and check on our property. Then back to Utah, test should be ready by then and drive back. We did this last year and I think Scott would have liked to leave me on the roadside, I get very nervous hauling horses.

Good afternoon, It is raining here. We need this rain very badly.I cannot remember it ever being this dry in the beginning of May. I did get the back pasture mowed this morning before the rain started. I then went shopping at the nearest tack store for a few things. We are to get rain for the next 4 days. The vet was here last night to give the spring shots. Everyone was so good for him. They are not usually so co-operative for the shots. He was in and out in less than an hour.

old man I ma partial to buckskins. I had one for 18 years. She was a pistol when she was 2 and after that she was a great horse. Child safe and husband safe. She went on to be a childs horse for a few years after I sold her.

Guess I had better fix super for the SU.

We were going to trailer the young one up north to ride him in an indoor tonite, but decided the weather is just to wet to worry about loading him in the dark to come home. He is loading, but tonite would be the night he decided he didn't want to get on. I would prefer to have a come to Jesus meeting when I am not the one getting cold and wet.

Stay safe and healthy all

quote:

Originally posted by ringersuz:

Ringer

............ah, ok there Ringer.....whatever you wanna do.... [Crazy]

.......*mumbles something bout crazy Washingtonian habits....

quote:

Originally posted by blonde on a warmblood:

quote:

Originally posted by ringersuz:

Ringer

............ah, ok there Ringer.....whatever you wanna do....
[Crazy]

.......*mumbles something bout crazy Washingtonian habits....

[ROTFL] I had to read the quote from ringersuz twice. I put an "r" in beasts! [Eek!] Now, I'm embarrassed! [Embarrassed]

Well I had chosen to overlook that..Type-O... Gets the white-OUT.....Bad r's

This is a the new addition to our home. Daisy is keeping us busy. Hope you do not mind I wanted to see if I remembered how to post a photo. Senior moment.

-

Daisy, yellow lab

quote:

Hard to believe - still think of myself as in my 20s - 40s is for my mother

LOL I'm 42 (not quite the 45 mark I know)...and late last year I had my appendix out. (Apparently it's very very unusual for someone my age to need to have their appendix out [Roll Eyes] )(That's me, just gotta be unusual [Roll Eyes] ). But while I was lying in emergency waiting for things to happen (and I had to wait quite a while), one of the doctors said to me, oh, we're quite busy, there are a couple of people ahead of you...as you can imagine, young kids get more sympathy than a 40 year old woman....

And I lay there quite confused thinking, who's this 40 year old woman he's talking about???

Then I realised it was me LOL. Gave me quite a shock...because I don't think my mind has caught up with my body! [big Grin]

You know you're in the club when you can't get on ANYTHING without a (quite high) mounting block....... [Roll Eyes]

wooley, that sounds like what happened with me at the eye doctor.

After my exam, the doctor recorded the findings on a little tape recorder. He says, "....50 year old female..." I was thinking he must be catching up on someone else's report! That couldn't be ME! [Eek!]