Sign in to follow this  
Milo

The Back Porch Chapter Seven

quote:

Originally posted by Becaco:

Kat
you can order some free starter from here
. or do a search for Goldrush sourdough and order some from, 8.99 I think.

Ooooooooooooooooh! Sooooooo cool! I'm going to send for some. Knowing my luck (after Milo jinxed me) I'll kill it off quite quickly.....

I do not pee behind bushes...i pee in stalls when necessary,but the bathroom is right across from my barn.i use it whenever i need.unfortunately some people leave it rather .....undesirable in there.everyone should remember to flush [Duh]

so come off the number Milo...i will even text you...winkwink......make the BF crazy,lol.

Just a quick pop in to say "HOWDY" before getting my butt in gear.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

quote:

Originally posted by Milo:

you all are a bunch of lazy butts this AM
[big Grin]

We're doing our best Milo impression.......

Well we'll see 'bout that Milo... Let me know when that red mare gets there.

OK guys I think I know what happened to our beloved JP Paradise..... I think she's been taken over by the dreaded Disney folks. I got a postcard on Saturday from her and her hubby with a pic of the evil hotel Disney iteself right on there. She says she'll be back soon and post details of her roamings.... I think she's converted to the darkside tho. RIP JP.

i got one too..that and a very early halloween card:joy....sounds like body snatchers to me.......

quote:

Originally posted by colt:

i got one too..that and a very early halloween card:joy....sounds like body snatchers to me.......

I was thinking more along the line of Moonies. This being CA and all.......

But wait, you got one too!??! And here I thought I was *speshel*.

quote:

Originally posted by colt:

I wondered what had happened....

Thanks for the card, JPAlienParadise [big Grin]

Kat, trust me, you are special. Very, very special.

Well I see I wasn't missed [Me Cry][Me Cry] Nobody loves me. [ROTFL]

Oh well, getting on with life. Had a appreciation day yesterday for work. We got the afternoon off [Yay][Yay] And they fed us lunch and gave us a gift certificate. I almost fainted from surprise. But it is back to the grind today.

Update on Sugar: We have liftoff. Or actually trailer loading with butt chain & door closed. She was a little anxious but after she settled down we quit for the night. Tonight will be the test, will she still load easily after being shut in last night [Question] Hope so cause the wooden bridge is looming ahead.

Well Bec, Milo, Kat, Ash & Colt. It is good to see you all. Hope JP, Blonde, Major Major & Necey drop by soon.

After a day of play I better get my buns back to work. Back later.

Double I asked after you but Milo edited it out. She's a ruiner like that.

Free food, a gift certificate AND an afternoon off?!?! WOWIE!!! What kind of gf? Something good I hope! YAY for trailer rides! It sure didn't take her long to come around now did it?

Not much happening here. Dog school was last nite. I have to say Mr. Patches is not going to ve the star brother Percy was. HAHA HAHAHA HAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAH Oh and we have another boxer in the class so this should get pretty fun! HAHAHAAHHA

Kat , It was $20 for Red Lobster, can you say YUM YUM. We also got a coffee mug, filled with hersey choclate and a 5 x 7 picture frame. Wonder why they are buttering us up. It the end of our fiscal year and the start of our membership drive. Busy busy busy time ahead.

Hope Patches does good at school. I;m thinking about taking Harley to a class or two just to see what he actually knows.

quote:

Originally posted by doublelhorses:

Hope Patches does good at school. I;m thinking about taking Harley to a class or two just to see what he actually knows.

You really should! He's a nice dog.

There's a beautiful Shepard pup *huge* in our class that is just something! When he figured he'd had enough learning for the night he just laid down and then rolled onto his side. His participation for the night was done! HAHAHAHAH Too smart for his own good! My neice got her pup at the shelter and he's a shepard mix of some sort and is a quick learner too. They're so far ahead of my porker Beagle it isn't funny!

OOh forgot to add I got this receipe today for biscuits that sound very much like those yummy chedder biscuits they serve there at Red Lobster! MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Although if you all are the Bisquick type, or even worse, Poppin' Fresh freaks, then posting this recipe is casting pearls before swine.

From a Washington Post in-depth article on making the best biscuits, and it was really true:

2 c. all purpose flour

2 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp cream of tartar

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

2 tbsp sugar

Stir dry ingredients together to combine.

Cut in 8 tbsp. shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.

(Can use 1/2 butter, 1/2 Crisco, or all Crisco. Personally, I think butter flavored Crisco is the fatty extract of Satan, so I would avoid using that. I used 1/2 butter, 1/2 plain Crisco this morning.

Stir in 3/4 cup buttermilk. Knead dough just a couple of times to combine.

Roll out on floured surface. Cut with 2" cutter. Handle dough as little as possible, and place on ungreased baking sheet ASAP for highest rise. Recipe recommended spacing biscuits 2" apart, which I did not do.

Preheat oven to 400. Place biscuits in preheated oven, then immediately turn heat up to 425, and bake until done, approx. 10 - 15 minutes. (I think it took longer, closer to 20.)

I made the cheese variation. Reduce sugar to 1 tbsp., add pepper to taste with dry ingredients, and toss in 2/3 c. shredded cheddar prior to adding buttermilk.

Our first shepard was really smart and Harley is too. They are such great dogs. I never had to worry about my boys riding their bikes in the country. Where ever they went Roscoe went. I don't think anyone would have been dumb enough to fight that dog. Shepards are very protective once they adopt a family. I remeber going to town and coming back to see the boys bikes by the little bridge that went over the creek. They knew they were not suppose to play down there so we stopped and hollered for them. I don't know who looked more ashamed when they came up the boys or the dog.

OOps. Gotta go. Phone is ringing.

quote:

Originally posted by ashstud:

So
Bec
you really DO have a cow caller. lol.
[Eek!]
What HAVE you been up to?
[Eek!]
Better get rid of the evidence.
[Crazy][ROTFL]

If anyone is brave enough to risk life and limb looking for them in the storage unit, they have my blessings. [big Grin]

:hahaha

Double that's funny! Percy has the cutest *ashamed* look! HAHAHAH He knows when he's done something wrong! Here he is after we had to pull up part of the deck when he got himself stuck under there.

-

Bec, how's your Mom?

quote:

If anyone is brave enough to risk life and limb looking for them in the storage unit, they have my blessings.
[big Grin]

What you mean its booby trapped [Eek!] Maybe you should send the VIN in to look for it [Wink] He could have an accident

Hey guys...I'm back among the living....Yes, we are safe and sound after our *Disney* adventure...I have to say 5 days at Disney is a *bit* much to swallow in one sitting.....Yes, you can have too much fun....That said, the Disney Californian Grand hotel is FABULOUS...If you like Arts & Crafts style (I DO) this is a must see place, we took the hotel tour that is offered to guests and boy oh boy I enjoyed that!!! They even showed us their Presidential Suites....1200 sq feet of lush and plush...But, at 3,500.00 a night it better be nice...We had a wonderful suite and ate WAY too much good food...They have an increduble 4 star resturant called The Napa Rose, it was somewhat wasted on us because we don't drink wine and boy do they serve up the wine!!! A new wine with every course, but nonetheless wonderfully good food..We stayed on the Craftmens Guild floor, which really just means we had the concierge services...But, that ment we had LOTS & LOTS of food at all hours of the day and you know we ate and ate and ate some more....They had scales in the rooms and I didn't dare weight myself for fear I wouldn't want to eat anything else....So I am now trying to remove the weight I brought home with me....**** free loading pounds!!!!!!

James got me to ride this awful ferris wheel, the sucker was huge [Eek!] ....I like to die, I am severely afraid of hights and had to fight back some sort of panic attack....Funny, he was rather amused at my state of coming *unhindged*...Oh well, I got him back on the Tower of Terror ride...Oh he hated that one!!!!It's an elevator that drops down and bounces you back up and it was a doozey of a ride!!!! I just hid my face and cackled like a hen, he asked me if I had layed that egg yet....

All and all it was a nice vacation...We even got a signed 8x10 of Mickey & Minnie wishing us Happy Anniversary...Now don't go hating me...I can make you all copies if you'd like....We had champagne and chocolate covered strawberries on the balcony, very romantic...Now about the balcony...I made a really big deal about getting a room over looking the park so we could sit on our balcony and watch the nightly fireworks shows...Yeah, well guess what??? The fireworks that are nightly ended the week before and they now only have them on the weekends...Just our luck, huh????

Nothing like a little get away to livin up your life....But, gotta say it was very good to be home...I like my house, I like my life and missed it here at home....All the critters were fine and the people that took care of everything did a fine job....Promise whinnied up a storm when she saw me, as if to say *Where have you been?* She had a week off and is just as wonderful as when I left....She is soooo good....I have been riding everyday and loving it...

I started a pottery class with some friends and have been having lots of fun making *stuff*....Life is good, I havent any complaints as of yet....Give me time I'm sure I can whine about someting....I have missed you guys and it's good to be back on the porch...

And Kat you *ARE* special...And so is Milo and Colt and Becaco and Blonde.....Double, I didn't have your address or I would have sent you a post card also...But, you are special too....If you PM me your address you will recieve a Halloween card, heck it's not to late!!!! It's not even October yet!!!!! I am just a *crazy* person that makes holidays last ALONG time...I have had the house all done up in it's fall finest since August 31st...That's sorta close to fall isn't it????? [Wink]

[ 09-27-2006, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: JPParadiseRanch ]

[Huggy] Welcome Back Paradise [Huggy]

I missed you soooo much! and I know I'm special special because I got TWO cards and a post card from my sweet sista! [big Grin]

Too much drama around the ol' homefront... so it's real nice to be loved loved loved by you you YOU!

quote:

Originally posted by RixKatToy:

Hey now! I HAVE fancy smancy mixer WITH dough hooks!

You're brilliant Bec!

Hmmmm now alls I need is some sourdough starter. hint hint hint

I'd send some "Becky" to you, but she would prolly 'splode!!

Come Get Her! [big Grin]

Welcome home JP. Its wonderful to have a trip away but there is no place like home.

Sugar again loaded in the trailer with no problem. I got the butt chain in place and closed the door and just let her eat her grain. She was a little anxious. The longer she was "confined" the more anxious she became. So think we will just keep feeding grain in the trailer and shutting her in for a while until the panic attacks go away before I try to actually haul her any. After I let her come out I ask for her to go back in a couple of times. A little nervous but she did go back in when ask.

Well, I better get out of here and to work. Chat later.

quote:

quote:

If anyone is brave enough to risk life and limb looking for them in the storage unit, they have my blessings.
[big Grin]

What you mean its booby trapped
[Eek!]
Maybe you should send the VIN in to look for it
[Wink]
He could have an accident
HAHAHAH He could be RIP for years and nobody would find him. Just keep paying the rental fee, Bec!

Double, Sugar is a superstar and smarter then any beagle I know [big Grin] You're doing a great job with her.

Jazz, you still around?

JP, glad you escaped the clutches of *shudder* Disney. I love ferris wheels, they're about the only ride I'll go on.

Rode the fatboy Oust yesterday, who was feeling his turdy side with the cool weather and the several days off. No whip needed last night!

Sunny is continuing to improve nicely, I put him back into light saddle work. At least he's smelling better HAHA

Maxx on the other hand is lame again. He makes me want to do this: [bang Head] Jazz is doing better though, we blocked and injected her knee. BB was shod over the weekend, time to get working on her. Say a prayer or two for me.

Anyhows, you all have a great day!

Milo - sounds like you have your hands full. If you get bored I only have 5 but they can all use more time working instead of being such pasture babies.

quote:

Milo - sounds like you have your hands full. If you get bored I only have 5 but they can all use more time working instead of being such pasture babies.

[Eek!] only 5..

Double, I'd never be able to handle it all if I didn't have some really dedicated volunteers.

Five is a good number. [big Grin]

I'm beginning to think I should have three up here... might have something to do with that Red Dun gelding I played with last weekend.. [Cool]

I offered to go back over and help Denise find her cell phone that jumped out of her overalls while we were moooving the cattle. She hasn't had any luck finding it from ground level, so I think we need to saddle up and go looking... and that gelding really should have some exersize, I'm sure of it! [big Grin]

Milo~ I wish I had a couple volunteers too! Think I'll put in a request for a Volunteer Vet and a Volunteer Farrier first!

In case you haven't been told so recently, you ROCK woman! [Not Worthy] Love the llama horse!

Glad Oust is doing better.. and Sonny...how's Thomas the "Bad" horse? Have fun with BB!

double~ Great job with Sugar! You are having her back OUT slow and easy... right?

Strange as it sounds, the trailer in motion is easier for most horses to handle than when it's standing still! I think it's the residual sway of the stationery trailer that gets them......kinda like that rental RV that Kat took up to Lake Oroville.

"Georgie!!! Stop jiggling your foot!! Stop shaking your head!!! Stop BREATHING!!"

[ROTFL]

So Kat when you coming up? I'll get "Becky" all fed and happy for ya!

I'm talking with a Trail Riding gal-pal I met recently about possibly going up to Lake Oroville next month for a little Horse Camping Trip. I'm thinking about the weekend of the 21st because the Orionid Meteor Shower will be at it's peak then... not that I can't see it from up here..anyway, you game?

If I'm any judge of planning, we'd better decide and reserve campsites soon! You bring the Margaritas and I'll bring the chocolate!

Paradise~ So glad you got "greeted" home by Miss Promise and that she missed you soooooo!!

Makes ya all warm and fuzzy, don't it!

Bec~ Was it you who asked about the Organic Flour? Just blonded out on the brand name you mentioned, but that's a good one. The reason I prefer to go to my local Health Food Store is that they have freshly milled organic flour in bulk and I always like to smell and "feel" it before I buy it.

Freshly milled flour has a wonderful sweet smell and the "feel" is slightly oily, not dead dry powder like you get in the grocery store where it has been stored for God knows how long!

High gluten flour is what you want for great bread. It's what puts the elasticity in the dough. However high gluten is NOT the thing you want for light flakey biscuits!

Forget the bread machines! Those things take all the joy out of bread making. On the other hand, a good Mixmaster with dough hooks...now that rocks! I use mine for all the mixing and kneeding for the first rise.Once I've incorporated all the flour I just set the timer for 10 minutes and let 'er rip...or hook! The loaf shaping and kneeding for the second rise I like to do by hand still. Many traditional sourdoughs are formed into loaves after the first rise.. makes it easier than the old 2 rise and roll rise. That is a whole day job!

By the way, rapid rise yeast is great for making pizza dough! After letting the MixMaster dough hooks do their job for 10 minutes or so, you let the dough rest for another ten, then you can separate into 2-4 balls and form each pizza crust. I do this on average once a week! Forget Digerno's, Papa Smurphy's or Round Table!

My pizza dough recipe is from my favorite bread book, long ago out of print, but well worth serching for. It's a small paperback, the size of a one night romance novel, called UNCLE JOHN'S ORIGINAL BREAD BOOK byJohn Rahn Braue'... can't tell he's from the "Old Country" now can you!

Full of recipes from his family of traditional bread bakers and has several recipes for making your own yeast as well as starters!

Dad's Italian Pizza Dough

1 package active dry yeast

(or 2 cups starter)

disolved in 1 cup warm water

(I always proof my yeast by adding just a pinch of sugar to the water, sprinkle the yeast on the surface and letting it sit 10 minutes. Good active yeast or starter will start foaming happily)Remember to keep it warm though!

1 egg yolk, beaten

1/2 teaspoon saly blended with 2 cups store bought bread flour.(you need unbleached not whole wheat here)

Put the proofed yeast/water mixture along with the egg yolk into that Mix Master with the dough hooks! Mix together. Slowly add in the flour. I often use an extra 1/2 cup flour, but the dough is supposed to be soft, not as firm as bread dough!

Let the Master Hook and kneed the dough for at least 10 minutes, while you go off and check in with your HC Buddies. To test for the right consistancy, pinch off a walnut sized piece and using your fingers, stretch it out into a round and see if you can get it nearly transparent without it breaking. This is what you want. if it's really sticky, add a bit more flour and let it kneed a few more minutes. When the dough "Climbs up the hook" you've got it about right.

Place into a warmed batch box or crock that has been slightly oiled rolling the dough over to oil all sides. (I use an old ceramic Dutch oven that I soak in warm water while my dough kneeds, then lightly oil, it works great!)

Cover with a damp cloth and set in a warm place to rise 2 hours or until doubled. Punch down and devide into individual pizza size balls. Form each ball by working between your fingers letting the dough stretch out slowly. Leave a rim of dough to keep toppings from sliding off! If dough starts getting too elastic or shrinks back when stretched, let it rest a few minutes before resuming stretching.

Place a good dusting of corn meal onto a warm cookie sheet that is rimless to let your pizza dough rise slightly and start putting toppings on it.

To get a good pizza, you need a pizza stone, or quarry tiles. Your pizza stone should live full time on the bottom of your oven. NOT the bottom rack, the actual metal/enamel bottom! Start heating the oven at least 20 minutes before you are going to bake. I usually sey mine for 30 minutes at 350, then 15 minutes prior to baking I turn it up to 450.

Slide the pizza off the cookie sheet and onto the preheated stone and bake for 8-14 minutes.

If your pizza wants to stick to the cookie sheet, put a little more corn meal around the edges then slip a metal frosting type spatula under the edges to loosen. The pizza should slide atop the cornmeal and right onto your stone. The pizza dough will NOT stick to a properly preheated stone!

This recipe gives you the perfect light puffy pizza crust that is to die for!!

Got to get busy. I'm trying to get stuff listed on e-Bay so I can afford a new RED habit. [big Grin]